• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whose Inclusion in Smash Encouraged You to Play Their Series?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Furthermore, what game did you play first and what did you think of their franchise? This isn’t limited to playable characters. Discovery by trophy, item or even stickers is A-OK.

Personally, I have had several characters in Super Smash Bros. which led me to playing their games.

:4link: Link's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. 64 as well as Toonami's review of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker hyped me for my first game in the Zelda franchise. I thoroughly enjoyed The Wind Waker and am an avid Zelda fan to this day. The Wind Waker is my favourite game of all time; I was very excited when Toon Link was announced for the Brawl roster and as a returning character for Smash 4.

:4samus: Technically I had already played Metroid Prime prior to having interest in Metroid as a franchise. Despite Samus having appeared initially in Smash 64, it wasn't until Super Smash Bros. Melee that I became truly interested in the series. Someday we'll receive another "true" Metroid game, but until then, Zero Suit Samus can at least stay top tier.

:4pit: I had never heard of Kid Icarus before Pit was announced for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sakurai must have been truly happy to work on Kid Icarus: Uprising following his inclusion in Brawl. From Fire Emblem to Kid Icarus, Sakurai knows how to bring interest to a series in Smash Bros.

:4feroy: No surprise here. Without both Roy and Marth being in Super Smash Bros. Melee, we probably wouldn't even have Fire Emblem in the West. Admittedly, I did no research into the franchise when the first game Western release came around on the Game Boy Advance. Imagine my surprise when neither Roy nor Marth appeared in the game. Regardless, I consider Fire Emblem to be one of my favourite franchises today.

:4ness: Next, we have Ness from Earthbound. As with Samus and Metroid, I initially had no interest in playing Earthbound when I first played as Ness in Smash 64. I even listened to Fobbies Are Borange, an online radio drama of Earthbound from Starman.net, prior to playing the game. However, after discussing the game with my friends Marriland and Chuggaaconroy, I not only played Earthbound but even played around with Ness as a main for a few months after the release of Smash 4. You have no doubt heard the hype surrounding the game from its dedicated community – they're absolutely right in admiring it – it's a fantastic game. Mother 3DS 2K16, Nintendo?

:popo: Ice Climbers were a pretty cool duo in the Smash series, up to their exclusion in Smash 4. Icy why many players play them competitively and for fun. While I gave their NES Classic a try on the Game Boy Advance and thought it was enjoyable, I don't think they've hit their peak quite yet. Your move Sakurai – time for Nana and Popo to receive the Kid Icarus treatment.

:snake: Kept ya waiting, huh? Last on this list is Snake from Metal Gear Solid. When Metal Gear Solid 3D was announced for the Nintendo 3DS, I knew I had to pick up this game. At the time I didn't know the Snake from Brawl and Snake in Metal Gear Solid 3 were different, but none of that matters now. Metal Gear Solid quickly became one of my favourite franchises as well as Metal Gear Solid 3 becoming my second favourite game of all time.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
None, but they have giving me more interest in them. I also am planning to get planet robobot when it comes out, which I wouldn't bother to do if it weren't for smash. I never played a kirby game before.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I'm now playing Xenoblade Chronicles because of :4shulk:
Other games I've never played but I'm planning to play next are the Fire Emblem games (Awakening in particular 'cause I want to use :4robinm:) and the Earthbound/Mother series.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Okay, I have played three Smash Bros games, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. So I will describe each game. I don't really have any series that made me played it's game... only one or two for exception...

Melee:
Before Melee, I only know Mario, Starfox, Pokemon, Metroid,F-Zero, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, and Kirby. Yes, it was Smash Bros Melee that introduce me The Legend of Zelda, but I never had played any LoZ game so far. It also remind us Ice Climbers the NES game, and Game & Watch.

Those who asked how on earth I know FE before Melee, well, before me and my brother got GC we already had Super Famicom that we got from yard sale. We got Fire Emblem:Genealogy of the Holy War. While playing the game and Melee, we were surprised when we found out that there was two FE characters in Smash. And we actually mistaken Marth as Sigurd lol...

Brawl:
Brawl introduced me Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, and Pikmin.

And I did played Animal Crossing: New Leaf eventually. And I love it.

Smash4:

Just like most people... but I already know the existence of Xenoblade before Smash.

Xenoblade Chronicles

The only game that Smash Bros introduced me and made me become a fan of the game has to be Xenoblade Chronicles. If you guys do not know, I was totally against Shulk in Smash Bros because of the leaks (And because they leaked Bowser Jr as well, which was one of the characters I really don't want to see in Smash Bros.) , so I was kind of salty to when seeing his trailer (I remember I watch his trailer after I finish watching the Pokemon Movie about Diancie that premiered in Taiwan two years ago.) But I also noticed Xenoblade's OST are just awesome, so I check Chuggacongroy's Let's Play and got the New 3DS version. And I immediately fell in love to this series.

And with Cloud's inclusion in Smash, I will go and play FFVII (Or watch Let's Play at least) in the future. And who knows? Maybe I will become a FF fans, maybe I am late, but late better than never right?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I'm now playing Xenoblade Chronicles because of :4shulk:
Smash4:

Just like most people... but I already know the existence of Xenoblade before Smash.

Xenoblade Chronicles

The only game that Smash Bros introduced me and made me become a fan of the game has to be Xenoblade Chronicles. If you guys do not know, I was totally against Shulk in Smash Bros because of the leaks (And because they leaked Bowser Jr as well, which was one of the characters I really don't want to see in Smash Bros.) , so I was kind of salty to when seeing his trailer (I remember I watch his trailer after I finish watching the Pokemon Movie about Diancie that premiered in Taiwan two years ago.) But I also noticed Xenoblade's OST are just awesome, so I check Chuggacongroy's Let's Play and got the New 3DS version. And I immediately fell in love to this series.
Although I knew of Xenoblade Chronicles prior to Shulk's inclusion in the Smash roster, I must say his being in Smash 4 helped drive my interest into purchasing the game.

I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS the moment it was released. Admittedly, if it wasn't for Chuggaa, I likely wouldn't be playing it. When I first picked up the game, he taught me the myriad of gameplay elements, however, I didn't fully understand the gameplay mechanics until late-game. I didn't participate in a single optional quest. Now I'm replaying the game for the full experience.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Although I knew of Xenoblade Chronicles prior to Shulk's inclusion in the Smash roster, I must say his being in Smash 4 helped drive my interest into purchasing the game.

I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS the moment it was released. Admittedly, if it wasn't for Chuggaa, I likely wouldn't be playing it. When I first picked up the game, he taught me the myriad of gameplay elements, however, I didn't fully understand the gameplay mechanics until late-game. I didn't participate in a single optional quest. Now I'm replaying the game for the full experience.
Contrary to you, I am trying to complete as many quest as I could, that's why I haven't complete the game despite I got the game for almost a year now.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Along with one of my friends pestering me to play it,:4shulk:'s inclusion in Smash motivated me to try out the fantastic game he's from. Definitely a worthwhile experience.
I've tried out a lot of the classic :4megaman: games since his inclusion in Smash, particularly because of his Gold Amiibo being bundled with the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I might try out some of the titles in the X series next.
And, of course, Melee was the game that introduced me to basically all of Nintendo's core franchises, so that convinced me to try anything that wasn't Pokemon.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Quite a few franchises actually:

:4link: :4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf:Zelda: Smash Bros on the N64 was one of the first video games i've ever played, among the first 3 (the others being Super Mario 64 & F-Zero X). I always thought of Link as being awesome ever since N64, but i wouldn't get into the series until Wind Waker, which i hated at first. But then i gave it a chance and ended up loving it and Twilight Princess solidified me as a die hard Zelda fan.

:4samus: :4zss:Metroid: I'll admit i thought she was a dude ever since the N64. It wasn't until i saw a commercial for Metroid Prime where i was like "he was a woman!?". The first title i played was Prime 2, but believe it or not, i wasn't impressed with the game. It wasn't until Brawl came out where my interest in Metroid peaked. I got Prime 1 & 3, Super Metroid & Zero Mission after that and i became a Metroid fan.

:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4corrin:Fire Emblem: Ever since i first Marth & Roy in Melee i was interested in Fire Emblem, but at the same time intimidated. After hearing about the permadeath, i was afraid of jumping in to the series, but then Awakening came out and.....i guess you can say the rest is history.

:4fox::4falco::wolf:Star Fox: While no where near the levels of Zelda and Fire Emblem, i was always intrigued by Star Fox. The first game i played from the series was Star Fox Adventures, which while good, didn't impress me as a Star Fox game. It wasn't until i played Star Fox 64 using the masterpieces from Brawl where i did enjoy the series as a whole.

:4cloud2:Final Fantasy: While i have heard of this series ever since the early 2000's, i have never ever played a Final Fantasy title. However ever since 2013 where we got footage from Final Fantasy XV, i was trying to find some way to get into the series. Then 2015 came along and pretty much got me converted. What sealed the deal was Cloud making it into Smash, though the remake certainly helped. Right now i own Final Fantasy VII, Tactics Advanced & the Platinum Demo of Final Fantasy XV.

:4pit::4palutena:Kid Icarus: Yeah, i had no idea about Pit before Brawl came out. I might have known about him a little bit since Melee because of his trophy (foreshadowing). While i'm not a big fan of his playstyle, he was interesting enough for me to try out Kid Icarus: Uprising when it came out, and i very much did so.

:snake: Metal Gear: I'm just gonna quote myself here:

Brawl was the thing that introduced me to Metal Gear. Before 2006, if you were to ask me who Solid Snake was, i wouldn't answer or just say "i have no idea". Even when he was revealed i didn't care much for Snake. However, as more and more footage from Brawl started to pop, the more i got interested in Snake. He was just so odd in comparison to everyone else that i was like "i'm gonna try and use the guy to see how he plays".

15 matches in Shadow Moses Island later, i got him......

.....and i thought he sucked ***. :rotfl:

He felt way to sluggish for me the first couple of times i played him that i thought "i'm never gonna use this guy, he's way to slow and sluggish" (says the guy that mained Link in Brawl). However, after finding out about the Codec's in Shadow Moses, i wanted to see all of them.....

.....and that's where my curiosity of Metal Gear got the best of me. I found them so hilarious that i wanted to find out more about the series of Metal Gear.

The first ever Metal Gear that i knew of was The Twin Snakes on the GameCube and the first cutscene i had ever seen from Metal Gear was when Snake found about Liquid masquerading as Miller (yeah, massive spoiler alert). The voice acting and dialogue were so captivating to me that i wanted to keep watching every subsequent cutscene that follows even if i had no idea what was going on.

After watching what was the ending of The Twin Snakes, my enjoyment for Snake skyrocketed. He later became one of my favorite characters to play in Brawl and later my main and favorite character in Project M.

However, i still didn't own a Metal Gear game. All that changed with Metal Gear Rising. I loved it so much to the point where i went out and bought Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3 i had at the time and i loved it. Funny thing is, the day i finished Metal Gear Solid 4 was the very same day the PS3 i had died on me. I guess it couldn't contain the very depressing ending or the overall awesomeness of the game.

After that, the rest was history.

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
:4marth::4feroy::4lucina::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf: Brought me into the Fire Emblem series and I still haven't found escape from it yet (Currently have a Lucina poster stuck to my wall near my monitor)

:4falcon: Threw me into F-Zero and honestly it ruined racing games for me. I can't play a single racing game and not think "Why tf is this so slow?"

:4littlemac: Got a bit interested in Punch-Out and it kept me playing for a least 2 weeks trying to get through the game and later finding out there was a harder mode...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4cloud: made me pick up FFVII and I don't regret it at all.
:4ness:'s presence in Smash 64 made me aware of the Earthbound series and I've been trying to play Mother 3 ever since.
I played numerous Street Fighter games in the past, but :4ryu:'s inclusion in Smash really got me into the series.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Just like most people here, I was drawn to Xenoblade Chronicles because of :4shulk:. Half that, and half because I just got a >new< 3DS and I thought why not get it!

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
:4shulk:'s inclusion in Sm4sh made me curious about getting into his series. I've been hearing things on Gamefaqs like his RPG series is going to be the king of the modern era of the RPG games (which I personally have a hard time believing it'll top out Persona 5). I've also been recommended Xenoblade Chronicles by a few members and seeing how he's from the same company (as I played Xenosaga and am currently starting Xenogears), I have high hopes for Xenoblade!

:4feroy:'s inclusion in Melee made me pick up his game years ago. I remember I liked it very much out of Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones simply because it was just challenging. But even now, I could remember how his game had it's fair shares of character unbalance. I still think of it fondly. What's better now is that there's patches that help out re-balance characters and make them more viable.

:4lucas: made me go back to replaying Mother 3 once again. I remember so much how Mother 3 had such a great story but I was never able to finish it in the past. Here's hoping I do it this time!

I am kinda curious of getting to know :4marth: as a character, so I'll probably check in on Shadow Dragon and pay attention to his portrayal in the story.

I recently just bought Twilight Princess HD Remaster just because of :4link:. That's another game I wanted to finish too. So far, I am at Kakariko Village.

Still hoping to get into Street Fighter. I've been interested for a long while, and it's only just a strawberry on top of the cake that :4ryu: made his debut.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Fire Emblem wouldn't be my favorite franchise if I didn't really like those two random sword dudes in Melee. Metroid, Star Fox, and Kid Icarus (just the NES one) also, though only Metroid really made it into my list of favorites.
Oddly enough, I played F-Zero and Earthbound separate from my Smash experience.

And on the other end of the spectrum, Olimar has reduced my interest in his franchise.

Flatmesa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flatmeysa
3DS FC
2191-8449-3854
When I saw Cloud's:4cloud:trailer during the Nintendo Direct of 11/12/2015, it made me curious about Final Fantasy VII and why people loved the game so much. That ended up with me playing the game through it's entirety 3-4 times and playing some of the other Final Fantasy entries such as VI, VIII, and X.

Seeing Shulk:4shulk:in the Smash 4 roster made me nonplussed about who he was and where he originated from. I saw several trailers for Xenoblade Chronicles after discovering Shulk was from Xenoblade, and it got me interested in playing the game. Now I have a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and enjoyed playing through the game. Xenoblade Chronicles became one of favorite games ever since.

Playing as Ness:ness2:, and unlocking Lucas:lucas:in Brawl made me curious about how the Mother series was. I have played Earthbound through it's entirety, and I have yet to complete Mother 3, but playing through both games was fun and entertaining (but Mother 3 occasionally caused me to cry) all thanks to the inclusion of these 2 kids with magical PSI/PK powers in Brawl.

...and of course the animu swordsmen/swordsmams~: :4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina::4corrin::4corrinf:(there are a lot of them) got me into the Fire Emblem series. but I haven't had the chance to play some of the games yet.

Turning into Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus: after using Samus:samus2:' final smash in Brawl, I discovered Samus' gender was female. But prior to that, I've played some of the original Metroid back in '06, and after seeing the true gender of Samus I got interested in the Metroid series because it was the only series I knew of with a female protagonist. I've now played through most of the games except for the Prime trilogy and Other M.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I've yet to do any of these, but since I main :4ness:, I want to buy Earthbound. I've checked out the masterpiece within the game. Seems like a cool game.

Since I've gotten my Wii U, I've wanted to buy Wind Waker HD. I've yet to do so, but playing :4tlink: also makes me want to check the game out.

Since my friends know the kind of person I am, they suggest I play Fire Emblem, because we were discussing :4myfriends: on the bus, not to mention I'm even better with :4marth:

Why have I never played Pokemon? :4pikachu: :4jigglypuff: :4lucario:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Why have I never played Pokemon? :4pikachu: :4jigglypuff: :4lucario:
Blasphemy! Just kidding, it's never too late to play Pokémon :p
I played all the game in the series and it bothers me that I don't like playing any of them in Smash (even though I sometimes mess with :4jigglypuff: in friendlies).

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I played all the game in the series and it bothers me that I don't like playing any of them in Smash (even though I sometimes mess with :4jigglypuff: in friendlies).
Probably going to take my friend's White 2... I think that's what it was. I still have my old DSi.

:4jigglypuff: is fun to play in friendlies. One time two of my friends and I decided to all play Jigglypuff, and we all Rested at the exact same time.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I'm a Video Game Championship judge for official Pokémon tournaments, yet I would never play any of the Pokémon in a competitive Super Smash Bros. setting. I just don't have a good feel for them. Well, except for maybe...

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I'm a Video Game Championship judge for official Pokémon tournaments, yet I would never play any of the Pokémon in a competitive Super Smash Bros. setting. I just don't have a good feel for them. Well, except for maybe...

Dang, haven't bought Mewtwo yet.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Fire Emblem, Metroid and Star Fox is the major example. It was due to Melee and Brawl that made play those series

I grew up play Mario, F-Zero, Kirby and Pokemon so I can as familiar with a lot of franchises early on in 64.

Recently, Xenoblade Chronicles but I kinda knew about in 2013

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I'm a Video Game Championship judge for official Pokémon tournaments
Yo dude that's so cool! It's like my secret dream because I'm more or less a Pokémon encyclopedia lol
How can you do it?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Yo dude that's so cool! It's like my secret dream because I'm more or less a Pokémon encyclopedia lol
How can you do it?
You take the Pokémon Professor Exam. It may sound like a fake fan-made thing or some random fan game on the Pokémon website, but it's the actual exam and process people take to become VGC and TCG judges for official Pokémon championships. There's a limit to how many times you can take the exam, you have to be 18 years or older, and there's a background check.

Dang, haven't bought Mewtwo yet.
I'd recommend purchasing Mewtwo, even if it's just for the fun of using him.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
You take the Pokémon Professor Exam. It may sound like a fake fan-made thing or some random fan game on the Pokémon website, but it's the actual exam and process people take to become VGC and TCG judges for official Pokémon championships. There's a limit to how many times you can take the exam, you have to be 18 years or older, and there's a background check.

I'd recommend purchasing Mewtwo, even if it's just for the fun of using him.
I'll do that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:4cloud: His inclusion in Smash 4 and seeing his trailer got me interested in Final Fantasy VII and the series in general. I finally started playing it for the first time 3 months later on my PS4 and I'm absolutely enjoying it so far. I'm also excited about the remake coming out soon and I'm proud to call Cloud one of my mains. No regrets.
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends: I've heard about Marth and Roy's inclusion in Melee and I had no idea who Ike was in Brawl when I learned he's from the same game series as the two and it was right then that I found an interest in the Fire Emblem series. I already know about :4robinm: and :4lucina: because I've played Awakening, which was my first game in the series, prior to their inclusion a year later.
:4megaman: After he was revealed, I soon became interested in his games. I couldn't find any spare time for me to play through most of them, but then the Mega Man Legacy Collection came out. I finally got to play a game in the series and who would've thought they could be a lot of fun.
:4pit: I didn't know anything about who Pit was when he was included in Brawl. Then there was this game series he was from I didn't even know it existed, which is a pretty good reason because I learned that his series has been dead for about 20 years until Sakurai brought it back to life and Kid Icarus Uprising was announced.
:4shulk: I have heard about Xenoblade Chronicles prior to his inclusion but never played it. I got the 3DS port of it, played it and I enjoyed the amount of time I've spent playing it.
:4villager: I learned about the Animal Crossing games through Brawl. It wasn't until I played Animal Crossing: New Leaf that I started to get interested in the series.
:snake: I had no idea who Snake was when I played Brawl. Then I learned about the Metal Gear Solid games, an M-rated series that comes out mostly on PlayStation consoles, which did surprised me at first but then after a short while, I didn't care and I loved playing as him. After that, I played my first Metal Gear Solid game, which was Snake Eater and I don't regret anything.
:4link::4fox::4samus::4falcon::4ness: All of these characters I learned from the early days of Smash 64. I played their games and I've enjoyed them since, mostly the Zelda and Star Fox games.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Obviously, I wouldn't have played Fire Emblem Awakening if it weren't for Lucina. I can't say for sure I'd never have tried FE out if it weren't for her, but she definitely helped, so she counts. And I'm glad I did! FE:A was a really good experience, it was pretty fun and a worthy purchase.

Also, many years ago, back when Brawl was new, I got an interest in playing Kid Icarus thanks to Pit. I just loved Pit, for no reason at all! It seemed especially without reason back then when I didn't even play Pit in Smash. I played the NES original and I fell in love with it. But... despite liking it quite a bit, I never played it that much. I have no idea why.

Well, those were the characters that made me actually try out their series properly. However, if you want, you could count these, as well:

:4falcon: made me play F-Zero for a bit. Not my cup of tea, and I'm generally a fan of racing games, even...
:4gaw: made me play Game and Watch games. They're fun, but what else can I say? They're pretty shallow as well.
:4bayonetta2: and I guess you could say Bayonetta made me want to play her game?... I get the feeling I would've ended up playing her game one way or the other, though.
:4cloud:same deal with Cloud. I have both Bayonetta and FF7, but not the time/will to play it. And I also feel like I would've ended trying his game anyway someday.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
None, although for some reason, Ryu's inclusion in Smash caused me to appreciate Street Fighter a whole lot more. I've always liked Street Fighter, I just...like it more now. Funnily, I've never been a Ryu player, nor do I plan on being one. I'm a Bison player, so I always try and charge in Smash and air dodge in Street Fighter. It's a mess, playing two fighting games.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:falcomelee: got me interested in trying Starfox (didn't care for Fox at all). I wouldn't call it my cup of tea, but I played several of the games (SNES, Assault, Command).
:marthmelee:didn't exactly interest me per se, but he introduced me to Fire Emblem, which I've played seven games of (and own Radiant Dawn but haven't started it).
:icsmelee: got me to buy Ice Climbers on Wii VC.
:pit:got me to buy the original Kid Icarus on Wii VC. Have not played any of the other games though.
:4shulk:hasn't persuaded me to try Xenoblade yet, but I think about it every so often. Kind of a Marth story where it's not the character that interests me but his inclusion brought a series to my attention.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
There are a couple, but the most obvious example is :4tlink:. I started playing him in Training Mode, and then I realized that I really liked his play style. I decided to start playing him seriously, but then I also realized that he was the only serious character I hadn't played the source game for. I wasn't interested in Legend of Zelda before, but wouldn't you know, Wind Waker HD became my favorite video game!

Last edited:

Supahsawnik99

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperSawnik99
:4sonic: Before I got SSBB, I was probably the biggest Sonic nerd there was. When I learned about a game where Mario and Sonic actually fought each other was breathtaking at the time. I became ecstatic for the game. Eventually, I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl for my 13th birthday, and to this day, Sonic is one of my mains. I still enjoy playing Sonic games, but, not as much as my 12-year old self.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
:foxmelee::falcomelee: - Although I had played Smash 64 once before, it was way too far back for me to remember, and Melee was the first Smash I actually owned. Anyways, Fox introduced me to the Star Fox series. First game I picked up was Star Fox Assault, which ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. So far, I've played and currently own all but the first Star Fox game. Not counting Star Fox 2 because it was scrapped. Kinda funny that my main ended up

:samusmelee:/:4samus::4zss: - Back in the Melee days, I rented a Metroid game because I thought Samus was a pretty cool guy. Rented Metroid Prime 2, and while it was fun, I didn't play it much because it was scary to me as a kid. Don't know how old I was at the time, but I was probably in 2nd or 3rd Grade at the time. It wasn't until around last August/September that I bought Metroid Prime 1 & 2. Although I still have yet to beat 2, Metroid Prime 1 was a very fun game. Samus has certainly gone up as one of my favorite gaming characters, and I've had even more fun playing as her in both her Power and Zero Suits.

:4dk::4diddy: - I've never liked Donkey Kong or cared for its series. Last year I got DK Tropical Freeze to try and give the series and characters a chance. I quit playing less than an hour into the game because the controls were so awkward my hands began cramping up. One of these days I'll put the disk back in and give it another shot... maybe.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
None of the Smash games caused me to actually play a series, though Smash 64 introduced me to a lot of franchises. It was later through unrelated events that caused me to end up playing a lot of those games.

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
Most of the Nintendo games I have I got during Christmases 2008/09. Smash was responsible for many of them: The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, WarioWare, to name a few.

For my birthday in 2009 I got EarthBound, which is now one of my favorite games of all time. Eventually I played the other 2 Mother games as well.

And a few weeks ago I bought a PS1 copy of Final Fantasy VII. I've never been interested in Final Fantasy at all, but after I picked Cloud up as a secondary it only seemed fair to play his game of origin. I haven't beaten the game yet (currently I just finished things up in Cosmo Canyon), but so far I can say I'm enjoying it!

Azneli

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azneli
Robin and Lucina made me try out Fire Emblem Awakening.

Last edited:

SpearXros

Smash Rookie
:4pit::4darkpit: I main them in Smash 4 , and that's what makes me want to play Kid Icarus Uprising.I was able to beat the game recently after all of these bulls*** from the bosses and fourth-wall breaking in the game. After the game, I learn more about Pit (my favorite character in Smash) and that makes me like Pit as a character even more. I also like Dark Pit (aka Pittoo) as well and Palutena, but Pit stands out the most comparing the three.

:4duckhunt: Secondary with him. I do play Duck Hunt before, but when I play back the game, it makes me like him more (and to laugh at people who suffers from my Duck Hunt).

:4cloud:Cloud is my secondary as well, but I've not yet played Final Fantasy VII. I hope that I'll have the chance to play it soon (remake is coming lol).

:samusmelee: Samus is my secondary in Melee, but I've played the Metroid Prime: Hunters in the DS. I'm looking forward to play another sequel of the series.

:sheikmelee: Sheik is my main in Melee, and I've played some Legend of Zelda games like Twilight Princess, A Link Between World, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Train. I'm currently playing Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Edit: I forgot about Olimar since I main him in Brawl. I haven't play the Pikmin series yet, but I'm willing to.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I actually completely misread the question. I guess I'll try this again. Smash Bros really got me into Earthbound. Playing as Ness in Melee and seeing Lucas confirmed in Brawl made me want to try out their games. I had heard about it before and even knew someone who owned the game, but I was never interested in playing it. I decided to give it a try and completely fell in love with the series. I'm really hoping Nintendo releases Mother 3 on the Wii U's virtual console. I'd totally buy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom