• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's the worst character in Smash (in your opinion)

Who do you think is the worst character ever added in Smash history?

• Total voters

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
Who do you think is the most unnecessary character Sakurai ever added? (in your opinion)

Note: I DON'T HATE ANY OF THESE CHARACTERS, THESE ARE JUST CHARACTERS MOST OF THE COMMUNITY HATES, so don't bash me, bash the haters, so simply don't bash at all

if i had to pick one, i would say Dr. Mario

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bayo is obviously the most hated by the Smash community. I dont hate her, I just think she needed to be balanced. But people have a genuine hate for her.

But if I had to guess, id say my most hated character would be Brawl MK.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
Torn between Dark Pit and Corrin because they're the two characters nobody wanted and and are still not really wanted. WFT, Pichu, Piranha Plant, Ken, Jiggs, Incineroar, etc. weren't exactly on the "Most Wanted" list before their inclusion but they've at least garnered a cult following. Bayo is only disliked because she was OP in Smash 4; as a character in and of herself, she's generally liked.

Voted Dark Pit because he's an edgelord clone; Corrin is at least unique.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dr. Mario. I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed if true or not, but the original fan request sent in to Sakurai for him was even for him to be an alt costume for Mario rather than a full blown character.

Very weird choice and the most unnecessary choice to date, easily beating out even Young Link and Toon Link for me.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I'm leaning on Wario. It's just the same set up with the bike, If he F (****s) up he just backs off and does it again. gets old.

not players fault that it's likes his only option.

Talking 4 here. I don't really enjoy watching other play video games. Or sports for the matter so I don't know if he is different in 5

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Jigglypuff as a character is one of the dumbest things ever. It only exists in the first place just be a low tier garbage filler monster that's a counterpart to Clefairy but the Jigglypuff line is laughably worse than the Clefairy line in almost every conceivable way. At least Clefairy was a mascot candidate. Despite getting pushed into Smash, she has a history of getting tossed aside throughout the history of the Pokemon franchise. No Mega Evolution, no exclusive Z-Move, not even any heightened importance via spinoff games. She's only in in the first place because she was part of the anime back when the anime was at least watchable. Doesn't really help that she's also a worse Wario in every Smash since Brawl.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Corrin. She was a blatant advertisement from a poorly written game that no one wanted a fighter from and from a series that already had plenty of fighters, and ended up being yet another sword wielding anime character.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I have a feeling this thread will be nothing be civilized lol

Gameplay (Worst to Fight Against)- :ultlittlemac:.
Another Down-B Counter, and if there's one thing I distinctly recall not liking about my Smash 4 nostalgia, it's that getting hit with the KO-punch always made me feel like a ****ing heel (and not the fun kind of heel, like Incineroar).
Gameplay (Worst to Play As)- :ultdk:.
Playing as this character always threatens to put me to sleep tbh. Charge Neutral-B at start, "Down-B -> reposition -> Down-B -> repeat" for crowd control, "Side-B -> Fully-charged Neutral-B" when CPU is at high %. YAWN!
Aesthetic- :ultgnw:.
Imagine being so racist that you cause a Day 1 patch to be needed just so Sakurai can reach down from his throne on Mt. Smash and swat that insensitive crap straight outta yo moveset ASAP.
This Meme brought to you by Zero Suit Gang. *passive aggressive dab*
Competitive Spectating- :ultfox:.
I can't believe the competitive scene somehow managed to make "space furries" boring to watch, and yet here we are! (although Leffen Vs. Chillin was funny as **** so maybe Fox isn't that bad)
Worst Represented- :ultcloud:.
Two songs. DOS CANCIONES. Damnit, Squeenix!
"Get this clown out of Smash"- Tie between :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultroy:.
Pokemon Trainer because it singlehandedly bloats the Pokemon Roster, has an unevenly-evolved team, and slants the Pokemon characters way too far toward Gen 1 Bias. Roy because his fanbase is extremely niche compared to the other Fire Emblem characters, he's a semi-clone that needlessly hogs up development time (unlike Echo Fighters), and Ike is just a better character then him on a number of levels.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gameplay (Worst to Play As)- :ultdk:.
Playing as this character always threatens to put me to sleep tbh. Charge Neutral-B at start, "Down-B -> reposition -> Down-B -> repeat" for crowd control, "Side-B -> Fully-charged Neutral-B" when CPU is at high %. YAWN!
No offense but... I think you're playing Donkey Kong veeeeeeeeeeery wrong.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you're going to talk about personal dislike, Corrin.

Gooooooooood, Fates just hurts me.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Gameplay wise, the worst character is probably Melee Kirby. The character has just horrible limbs, extraordinarily low power, poor combo ability, poor mobility, some things that lack safety kinda strangely, and most hilariously a few throws that are literally useless because you can just mash out of them before they do any damage so Kirby in Melee just has fewer throws than every other character. I don't think there's anything at all good about him, and it's hard to build a winning plan that goes beyond "be a lot better than your opponent" when you're just worse than every possible opponent in every way that matters.

Brawl Ganondorf is really the only other contender for that slot I think. Brawl Ganondorf is also really, really bad; he is subject to a huge number of chaingrabs and general abuses including a ton of weird and obscure ones, he's just comically slow in both attack speed and mobility, his recovery sucks, and in general he's a character with zero realistic ways to approach in a game where defense is already really strong who also has no way to get out of trouble if he ever falls into it. The reason I think he's slightly better than Melee Kirby even though he's subject to abusive nonsense and has a way worse neutral is that he does at least hit really, really hard including a dair that can loop with itself several times for insane damage in the right circumstances. Ganondorf's limbs are also not completely terrible so if he knows exactly what his opponent is about to do he can often stuff attacks. Basically Brawl Ganondorf has a path to winning; just make strong reads over and over, never be wrong, and kill them fast with your high power while the plan is only mostly infeasible instead of completely infeasible. It's a pretty horrible plan, but when your alternative is Melee Kirby, it can be better by comparison I guess.

I don't think any characters in 64 or 4 can really qualify. 64 is not known for its great balance, but the game is so wonky that even Samus has some really good things and characters die so fast that even the worst character at doing combos can still kill people fast by "not 64" standards so it's kinda a floor on how bad any character can be. 4 was just balanced with some actual care unlike the other Smash games so even its bottom tiers have some kind of a gameplan, and I don't think you'd even find broad agreement over who character #58 on the 4 tier list. For my money it's Zelda who is pretty much just bad for the reasons Zelda is bad in other games, and in those other games she managed to avoid being the single worst so that's a good sign that 4's worst character isn't the series worst.

Of course if we're talking about flavor my answer would be "every character was a worthwhile inclusion" mixed with "it's not important to me", but that would be a really boring answer so I decided to talk gameplay.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
"Unnecessary" is a bit subjective here, but I've got four candidates: :pichumelee::drmario::4darkpit::4corrin:

NOTE: I don't actually hate any of these characters. This is just fun inclusion analysis for time-killing purposes.

-Dr. Mario is just regular Mario in a different outfit. This is more egregious than it should be as every other clone is at least a different character. Additionally, references to his home series essentially don't exist beyond megavitamins and music. Melee didn't have many options for characters, and he's a great example of this.

-Pichu, as mentioned by Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas above me, is mostly a joke character. No new content, no new abilities, just a worse clone.

-Dark Pit was already on shaky ground in Sm4sh. The reason he's a clone? "He can't use the Sacred Treasures." This feels like a bit of an excuse, but I tolerate it. But then in Ultimate, Pit's final smash was arbitrarily changed again. So now the one reason for Dark Pit being a clone no longer exists, therefore he's extra pointless! That, and his differences from Pit are trivial at best. At least the Echo Fighter concept kinda justify his presence now.

-Corrin is odd, mostly since he's unique. As a promotional character first and foremost, I object to him already. But the fact that he originates from Fire Emblem of all places, that sucks even more. I do like Corrin's moves, but their series was already experiencing an uptick in sales. Did it really need more promotion?

Overall, Sakurai usually makes good judgments on characters to add. Not all of them are winners, though. I was inclined to put Roy, Lucina, and Chrom on this list, but I don't know, they didn't feel as unnecessary to me. Roy's promotion, while still promotion, was a tad more justifiable at the time. Lucina and Chrom, as clones, offer more differences from their progenitors than the above-mentioned clones.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don’t have any complaints, as most characters are either cool personality wise or have intereting movesets. Like Corrin sucks as a character but is really fun to play as.

But now that Mario has costume changes with his alts, and Dr Mario is not only his own character but not an echo...I am befuddled.

Seriously he should have at least been an echo

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Dr. Mario because he's not even a character.

Though I also really hate Pokemon Trainer(because he's the only transforming character still in the game and transforming characters suck), and Piranha Plant because...I mean, c'mon.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Poll didn't list Roy, so I went with Jigglypuff, since it is a close second to me.

Corrin. She was a blatant advertisement from a poorly written game that no one wanted a fighter from and from a series that already had plenty of fighters, and ended up being yet another sword wielding anime character.
If the writing of a Fire Emblem game mattered in regards to whether or not its main character should make it into Smash, then the only Fire Emblem character we'd have is Ike, and I can't even vouch for that myself.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Poll didn't list Roy, so I went with Jigglypuff, since it is a close second to me.

If the writing of a Fire Emblem game mattered in regards to whether or not its main character should make it into Smash, then the only Fire Emblem character we'd have is Ike, and I can't even vouch for that myself.
Well obviously if they wanted an FE advertisement thy could have picked a better written character.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I can't stand Bayonnaise, man. I never liked her before Smash, I didn't buy for a second that she won the ballot, and then her being OP in the game was the final straw for me. She's the only character I want specifically removed from Smash Bros. Everyone else is fine

ARAblazer

Smash Rookie
Olimar TBH. I don’t really know why, but playing as him just feels Uber uncomfortable to me. He’s always stood out as my least favorite character.

Regime

Smash Rookie
Sonic is the only inclusion I disagree with, and even then it's more about HOW they implemented him then that they did

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sonic is the only inclusion I disagree with, and even then it's more about HOW they implemented him then that they did
I don't like Sonic either. He's the second fighter I would remove, after Corrin.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff
I've never really liked this character. It feels like something that was meant as a half-a-joke and has continued being in the series only because it was in the first one. The Puff isn't an interesting character, doesn't have a neat look, nor does it really play well.

Pichu
Pichu is basically a joke somebody told and nobody else laughed at. It's everything wrong with Jiggly except it's not even unique.

Dr. Mario
The Doc is awesome. Shut up people that don't like Dr. Mario. You're wrong. It was really just great seeing him included and having the pill sounds replace Mario's fireballs because it wasn't something you expected the first time. Since then, he's kept the same basic moves while Mario's have changed making him feel even more like Mario than Mario does.

Wii Fit Trainer
Do people really hate Wii Fit Trainer? I don't remember seeing any complaints about her/him.

Mii
I like like 30 Mii fighters in the last game. It was a great way to have characters included who wouldn't normally be included. We can all start whatever support threads we want for Mike Jones or Waluigi and belive they have a chance but sometimes you just want to play as somebody you know will never be included. If you want Colonel Sander to fight Dr. Mario or just have to have the cast of Katawa Shoujo show up, here ya' go. If anything they need more costume options. ... okay, I don't much care for the arm canon on the blaster fighter and think a regular zapper would have worked better, but that's the only complaint I have.

Lucina and Chrom are just more of the been there, done that, Fire Emblem cast. Worse in Chrom's case because he was purposely left out and still made it back in.

Dark Pit is just kinda there. I have no opinion on Dark Pit. He's not interesting enough to hate.

Corrin
...Corrin's design actually isn't horrible and the fightng style is somewhat unique, but it's a case of guilt by association. If the exact same character had been from a game called Corrin's Quest and not another Fire Emblem character I think they would have been recived a lot better than they were. it's just that everyone was already tired of Fire Emblem by this point.

Bayonetta
Nobody really hates Bayonetta.

Daisy
Daisy is a much demanded character and has been for several games now. Would it have been better if she was her own thing rather than copying Peach? Sure. But sometimes you have to take what you get.

Ricther
... People hate Richter? Who?

Isabelle
I don't see people complaining so much about Isabelle as they are complaining that she's not Isaac, or Ashley, or Waluigi, or Bayou Billy or whoever the person complaining about her REALLY wanted in.

Ken
I didn't need Ken. I didn't really want him in, but he's here and I have no real complaints. As far as echoes go if you have to have one, he's a good choice.

Incineroar
I didn't care about Incineroar at all UNTIL I saw his trailer. He looks awesome.

Piranha Plant
Again people are more complaining that he isn't the character they want more than they are complaining about him, not that there aren't people complaining about a regualr enemy getting in, but the Plant is still awesome and a very unpredictable choice and Smash can never have enough of those.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Gameplay wise, the worst character is probably Melee Kirby. The character has just horrible limbs, extraordinarily low power, poor combo ability, poor mobility, some things that lack safety kinda strangely, and most hilariously a few throws that are literally useless because you can just mash out of them before they do any damage so Kirby in Melee just has fewer throws than every other character. I don't think there's anything at all good about him, and it's hard to build a winning plan that goes beyond "be a lot better than your opponent" when you're just worse than every possible opponent in every way that matters.

Brawl Ganondorf is really the only other contender for that slot I think. Brawl Ganondorf is also really, really bad; he is subject to a huge number of chaingrabs and general abuses including a ton of weird and obscure ones, he's just comically slow in both attack speed and mobility, his recovery sucks, and in general he's a character with zero realistic ways to approach in a game where defense is already really strong who also has no way to get out of trouble if he ever falls into it. The reason I think he's slightly better than Melee Kirby even though he's subject to abusive nonsense and has a way worse neutral is that he does at least hit really, really hard including a dair that can loop with itself several times for insane damage in the right circumstances. Ganondorf's limbs are also not completely terrible so if he knows exactly what his opponent is about to do he can often stuff attacks. Basically Brawl Ganondorf has a path to winning; just make strong reads over and over, never be wrong, and kill them fast with your high power while the plan is only mostly infeasible instead of completely infeasible. It's a pretty horrible plan, but when your alternative is Melee Kirby, it can be better by comparison I guess.

I don't think any characters in 64 or 4 can really qualify. 64 is not known for its great balance, but the game is so wonky that even Samus has some really good things and characters die so fast that even the worst character at doing combos can still kill people fast by "not 64" standards so it's kinda a floor on how bad any character can be. 4 was just balanced with some actual care unlike the other Smash games so even its bottom tiers have some kind of a gameplan, and I don't think you'd even find broad agreement over who character #58 on the 4 tier list. For my money it's Zelda who is pretty much just bad for the reasons Zelda is bad in other games, and in those other games she managed to avoid being the single worst so that's a good sign that 4's worst character isn't the series worst.

Of course if we're talking about flavor my answer would be "every character was a worthwhile inclusion" mixed with "it's not important to me", but that would be a really boring answer so I decided to talk gameplay.
If we're talking about gameplay then my answers are Melee Ice Climbers and Brawl Meta Knight for literally breaking their respective games via the Freezing Glitch and Infinite Dimensional Cape which literally have no counterplay. At least Melee Kirby and Brawl Dorf are only completely irrelevant to competitive play rather than requiring having outside rules put in place to prevent the tournament scene from completely falling apart.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
People hate on Jigglypuff, but a lot of that hate is undeserved. It's not inherently bad, it's highly specialized (though changes in the specifics of Jigglypuff's kit, as well as the engine of the Smash game in question, make Jigglypuff's ability to compete in high-level play wildly different between games; it's top-tier in Melee, but bottom-tier in Brawl and Smash 4 due to a combination of changes to air dodging and nerfs to its moves). I won't deny that Jigglypuff has some spectacularly useless moves (namely Rollout and Sing), its light weight and extreme shield-break-pop make it easy to KO, and its mobility on the ground is terrible — but its air speed has consistently been either the best or the second-best, depending on the game (with its closest competitor or sole surpasser in that regard consistently being Yoshi), its aerials are both very quick and very powerful (though the range does admittedly leave a little to be desired), Pound is an amazing mobility tool, and Rest is not only one of the strongest moves in the game, but it has literally nonexistent startup lag (pity about that ridiculously small hitbox and hilariously long ending lag, though). Jigglypuff is definitely able to succeed if you know what you're doing with her.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
#foreverdarkpit

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
#foreverdarkpit
I really like Dark Pit in Uprising, but as an echo fighter he seems like a waste of potential in Smash. I think if he used a unique moveset less people would be salty about him

Arthur97

Smash Master
I really like Dark Pit in Uprising, but as an echo fighter he seems like a waste of potential in Smash. I think if he used a unique moveset less people would be salty about him
Couldn't that be said of pretty much all of them?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
:ultbayonetta::ultdarkpit: Are the only ones I dislike but giving it to :ultbayonetta: because she is the only character that I hate fighting no matter if the person playing them is good or not.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Couldn't that be said of pretty much all of them?
You're not wrong. Lucina and Chrom could be a lot more unique (Honestly, imagine if they'd given Lucina the Mii Swordfighter's moveset in 4 and then made Chrom a Lucina echo). Dark Samus is close enough but could have had a couple more things. Daisy/Ken/Richter... probably fine as is

But yeah. Dark Pit could have just used all the other weapons from Uprising and been SO different. It's too bad

Arthur97

Smash Master
You're not wrong. Lucina and Chrom could be a lot more unique (Honestly, imagine if they'd given Lucina the Mii Swordfighter's moveset in 4 and then made Chrom a Lucina echo). Dark Samus is close enough but could have had a couple more things. Daisy/Ken/Richter... probably fine as is

But yeah. Dark Pit could have just used all the other weapons from Uprising and been SO different. It's too bad
I mean, Richter may be the cloniest of the clones actually. His inclusion may be the most redundant.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Have you been living under a rock.
People who hate Bayonetta hate her for gameplay reasons though.

They could easily fix her gameplay and she wouldn't be the worst character in the game anymore.

You can't "fix" the fact that Dr. Mario is just Mario in an alt costume.

You're not wrong. Lucina and Chrom could be a lot more unique (Honestly, imagine if they'd given Lucina the Mii Swordfighter's moveset in 4 and then made Chrom a Lucina echo).
I do kinda hope that, in the next game, they make it so Roy is Marth's echo fighter, then, they give Chrom a completely new moveset, then make Lucina Chrom's echo fighter.

That way, we don't have 4 characters all clones of each other. And it makes more sense for the Father/Daughter who wield the same sword to share a moveset.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
People who hate Bayonetta hate her for gameplay reasons though.

They could easily fix her gameplay and she wouldn't be the worst character in the game anymore.

You can't "fix" the fact that Dr. Mario is just Mario in an alt costume.

I do kinda hope that, in the next game, they make it so Roy is Marth's echo fighter, then, they give Chrom a completely new moveset, then make Lucina Chrom's echo fighter.

That way, we don't have 4 characters all clones of each other. And it makes more sense from the Father/Daughter who wield the same sword to share a moveset.
Roy being Marth's echo fighter is my nightmare tbh. I really like Roy but really don't care for Marth

I mean, Richter may be the cloniest of the clones actually. His inclusion may be the most redundant.
Richter seems to be a lot more popular than Simon. Simon could have played like Richter and been the only one and that'd be better lol

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Roy being Marth's echo fighter is my nightmare tbh. I really like Roy but really don't care for Marth

Richter seems to be a lot more popular than Simon. Simon could have played like Richter and been the only one and that'd be better lol
But if Richter were never in it, people probably wouldn't think much about it as Simon is the face of the series.

Top Bottom