• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Guys, I just remembered this while I was at work:
Diddy Kong also took the Moon out of orbit.
Diddy Kong wins?

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
It should be kept in mind though, that the word "god/goddess", is LITERALLY just a title, and does not always mean you are powerful.

For example, in Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Cosmos is a goddess. And she's incredibly weak. Like, seriously weak. All of the time. The mortals she summons, she summons for a reason - they are very powerful and can protect her, and she believes THEY can take on Chaos, the opposing god.

Rosalina herself may not be a "goddess" in terms of how people refer to her. But she's so much stronger than most gods in gaming that I have seen.
Wait...... Didn't she get Mario and Luigi to take care Mr. King Koopa? I swear.

"I played the game" is not a source, I have too.
By that logic, your not a reliable source either. :tired:

Also, this best argument. :shyguy:
:wario::wario::wario::wario::wario::wario:This....:warioc::warioc::warioc::warioc::warioc::warioc:

Is Wario above god tier now?

EDIT: If this isn't, I don't know what is.
Can Rosalina launch herself into space with a 360 WHEELIE OF :skull::skull:DEATH:skull::skull:
Chances are nope.

Here's a basic of what I expect from tier list now.

W::4wario2::4dk:
Edit: Above-Godly: Sandbag:4bowser:
SSS::4shulk::rosalina:
S: :4palutena:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait...... Didn't she get Mario and Luigi to take care Mr. King Koopa? I swear.
She did, but she didn't actually need to. Again, gameplay-story segregation.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Again, gameplay-story segregation.
Then that means Dissida is more powerful than everyone. Duuuuuuuuuuh.

She did, but she didn't actually need to.
You might be right. Peach took him down all by herself, but stills gets kidnapped.

"I played the game" is not a source, I have too.
By that logic, your not a reliable source either. :tired:
You're not a reliable source. You said it yourself.

Also, this best argument. :shyguy:

Can Rosalina launch herself into space with a 360 WHEELIE OF :skull::skull:DEATH:skull::skull:
Chances are nope.
You ignored the video because she can't right? :cool:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Then that means Dissida is more powerful than everyone. Duuuuuuuuuuh.
Uuuuuuuh, Dissidia is the name of a Final Fantasy game...

You might be right. Peach took him down all by herself, but stills gets kidnapped.
Yes, Peach is the quintessential example of a character held back by gameplay-story segregation.

You're not a reliable source. You said it yourself.
I backed up all of my points for Rosalina earlier in the thread with game images, GIFs, and videos. So even if you think I'm not reliable, you can't argue what's in the games.

You ignored the video because she can't right? :cool:
Rosalina cannot perform janky, non-canon glitches using a motorbike in the Smash Bros games, but in the Mario universe, she can fly and teleport, which is just a lot more practical. No equipment needed.

Also, seeing as you seem to be grouping Bowser and Sandbag together because they can take a beating, Rosalina should be there too. Sakurai had a Pic of the Day specifically to highlight that Rosalina also is completely nonchalant towards the damage she takes.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Sakurai had a Pic of the Day specifically to highlight that Rosalina also is completely nonchalant towards the damage she takes.
So the actual plot from the game isn't accurate canon, but a Pic of the Day is?

Ok then...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So the actual plot from the game isn't accurate canon, but a Pic of the Day is?

Ok then...
The plot from the game is canon. Rosalina did have Mario help her. However, it was far from needed, as she was blatantly shown to be more than capable of handling the situation. Literally the only reason she doesn't is because Mario absolutely had to be the star of the game. Just because the plot was canon, doesn't mean it wasn't under going heavy gameplay-story segregation. Rosalina getting Mario to help her was essentially a plot hole, because it was quite clear she didn't need that help at all.

Smash Bros can be taken into account though. As long as what's shown in Smash Bros does not contradict what we already know about a character, then it's completely fine to consider it as part of the character development Nintendo is providing for this character. Sakurai went out of his way to highlight that Rosalina is completely nonchalant while taking damage. Her Amiibo description and actions in Galaxy also back this up (since she's known for being incredibly calm and relaxed all the time). So yeah, that is canon too.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Sakurai went out of his way to highlight that Rosalina is completely nonchalant while taking damage.
I noticed that she acts like nothing happened when hit, but thats for wusses. Peach is manly enough to get hurt you know. (Since Super Mario Bros. 2 if you haven't heard.) Plus why is she even in smash anyway? I mean literally, she sounds uninterested 90% of the time like Falco.

Uuuuuuuh, Dissidia is the name of a Final Fantasy game...
I didn't use that example, you did.

I backed up all of my points for Rosalina earlier in the thread with game images, GIFs, and videos. So even if you think I'm not reliable, you can't argue what's in the games.
Wait a sec. If games aren't a source we can pick from, then what? Our imagination? Cause you said Rosalina could do powers she hasn't done yet.

Wario is still above above godly still. There is no denying that him and DK are strongest two in Smash. No one will take as hard as a beating as Bowser or Sandbag will neither.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I noticed that she acts like nothing happened when hit, but thats for wusses. Peach is manly enough to get hurt you know. (Since Super Mario Bros. 2 if you haven't heard.) Plus why is she even in smash anyway? I mean literally, she sounds uninterested 90% of the time like Falco.

I didn't use that example, you did.

Wait a sec. If games aren't a source we can pick from, then what? Our imagination? Cause you said Rosalina could do powers she hasn't done yet.

Wario is still above above godly still. There is no denying that him and DK are strongest two in Smash. No one will take as hard as a beating as Bowser or Sandbag will neither.
...I'm not even going to elaborate on all of the things wrong here....

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
The strongest characters in Smash 4(Tier 1):
:4wario2::4dk::4bowser:[Sandbag]:4pit::4palutena::4shulk::mewtwomelee::4duckhunt::4ganondorf:

Characters that might secretly be the strongest(Tier 2):
:4mario::4luigi::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4lucario::4charizard::4tlink::4link::4myfriends::rosalina::4sonic:

Any objections? Did I forget anyone?

Last edited:

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
The plot from the game is canon. Rosalina did have Mario help her. However, it was far from needed, as she was blatantly shown to be more than capable of handling the situation. Literally the only reason she doesn't is because Mario absolutely had to be the star of the game. Just because the plot was canon, doesn't mean it wasn't under going heavy gameplay-story segregation. Rosalina getting Mario to help her was essentially a plot hole, because it was quite clear she didn't need that help at all.

Smash Bros can be taken into account though. As long as what's shown in Smash Bros does not contradict what we already know about a character, then it's completely fine to consider it as part of the character development Nintendo is providing for this character. Sakurai went out of his way to highlight that Rosalina is completely nonchalant while taking damage. Her Amiibo description and actions in Galaxy also back this up (since she's known for being incredibly calm and relaxed all the time). So yeah, that is canon too.
Smash Bros most certainly not be taken into account. Smash Bros is factually not canon, and this topic is about canon. It's as simple as that.

Rosalina is absolutely not shown to be more than capable of handling the situation. None of Rosalina's feats outweigh any of Bowser's even without taking the RPGs into account, and I find it extremely telling that you find it so easy to consider Mario helping Rosalina a plothole, but when I said the same about Rosalina's so-called "feats" you outright denied it.

you can't argue what's in the games.
quoted for irony

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash Bros most certainly not be taken into account. Smash Bros is factually not canon, and this topic is about canon. It's as simple as that.

Rosalina is absolutely not shown to be more than capable of handling the situation. None of Rosalina's feats outweigh any of Bowser's even without taking the RPGs into account, and I find it extremely telling that you find it so easy to consider Mario helping Rosalina a plothole, but when I said the same about Rosalina's so-called "feats" you outright denied it.

quoted for irony
Yes it can. Canon refers to events. Not character abilities. As long as a character's abilities in Smash do not contradict canon, then it's simply an extension of their character.

(Also, Subspace Emissary IS actually canon to at least the Kid Icarus universe, as is Smash 4. Smash 4 definitively takes place after Uprising).

The rest of your post is literally just you writing something off baselessly.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Rosalina cannot perform janky, non-canon glitches using a motorbike in the Smash Bros games, but in the Mario universe, she can fly and teleport, which is just a lot more practical. No equipment needed.
Yes it can. Canon refers to events. Not character abilities. As long as a character's abilities in Smash do not contradict canon, then it's simply an extension of their character.

(Also, Subspace Emissary IS actually canon to at least the Kid Icarus universe, as is Smash 4. Smash 4 definitively takes place after Uprising).

The rest of your post is literally just you writing something off baselessly.
You say fourth wall break is less canon than SSE? What about Master Hand in Banjo Kazooie? Goombas, Chain Chomps, and Wart in Link's Awaking? Plus Rosa herself didn't help Mario/Luigi on their adventures, but the Lumas did. She might had sent them to help but not in person.

Wario is to cool to have minions that do his bidding or not since the Gameboy anyways.

quoted for irony
Thanks, now I know everything not Mario related isn't canon now. To bad Wario went on a adventure with Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi. :troll:

servbot 42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Servbot42
physically megaman is the strongest. I think it was megaman 5 (not sure) where a huge ceiling collapses and he holds it while Dr. light escapes. After him I say MEWTWO is the strongest mentally. I'm going by the first Pokemon movie.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
physically megaman is the strongest. I think it was megaman 5 (not sure) where a huge ceiling collapses and he holds it while Dr. light escapes. After him I say MEWTWO is the strongest mentally. I'm going by the first Pokemon movie.
:4wario2: has carried things heavier than ceilings in his games. Wario World (GC) and Shake It (Wii) are the games were :4wario2: is the strongest. Isn't :4megaman: a robot too? :4rob: might be with him, but we don't know.

Can't say anything about Mewtwo being the most powerful physic though.

Shog

Smash Ace
Just saying, the fact that Rosalina can die to Galoomba in 3D World makes me don't get it how she is considered "strong"

And yeah, Wario:4wario2:is pretty strong

Last edited:

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Top Five in no order:

:4ganondorf:: He can't be killed without a holy weapon, meaning the only people who can deal a final blow are :4palutena:,:4pit:,:4zelda:, and especially :4link: and :4tlink:. Bonus points for typically having superhuman strength, magic, and Pig Ganon form in reserve.

:rosalina:: She literally made a big bang and rebuilt the Mario universe once she was restrored to her proper power level. Nobody else can do that. The only question is how good she is in a fight, but that probably doesn't matter considering how much sheer power is at her disposal.

:mewtwomelee:: We all know how powerful a typical Pokemon is. Mewtwo still has the highest offensive power of any Pokemon to this day, and that's including Arceus. His force is utterly overwhelming.

:4ness:: Managed to hold off GIYGAS in a fight. GIYGAS. A psionic being so powerful it could destroy the universe literally without thinking. He holds off hyperadvanced aliens without breaking a sweat and has regular access to PK Starstorm Omega by the end of the game. He is literally the chosen one to fight an all-powerful god and the strongest person in his party by far.

:4kirby:: God-eating horror and could probably handle everyone on this list. His copy abilities give him the ability to respond to any ranged attack with a ridiculously-amplified version of his own with his Copy Ability.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

:4sonic:: Yes, Super/Hyper Sonic are ridiculous, but the forms can only be held for a limited time, and if Sonic gets access to all chaos Emeralds for a fight, that means his foes have license to use all of their most OP powerups. That means Mewtwo gets Mega Evolution and Ganon has the Triforce of Power. Imagine Kirby somehow surviving Super Sonic and inhaling a Chaos Emerald. You just pictured a dead hedgehog.

:4samus:: Really strong, but she has yet to fight anything godlike enough to prove her mettle against the Top 5.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
:rosalina:: She literally made a big bang and rebuilt the Mario universe once she was restrored to her proper power level. Nobody else can do that. The only question is how good she is in a fight, but that probably doesn't matter considering how much sheer power is at her disposal.
It was the Lumas, not Rosalina, who saved the universe at the end of Mario Galaxy. And are we just going to ignore that she has found herself at the mercy of Bowser TWICE.

Thanks to the power of the Lumas, :rosalina: is an honorable mention. But she doesn't stand a chance against the likes of :4bowser:, :4ganondorf:, and :4palutena:.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just saying, the fact that Rosalina can die to Galoomba in 3D World makes me don't get it how she is considered "strong"

And yeah, Wario:4wario2:is pretty strong
Wario can die to a Goomba in Super Mario 64 DS. As can any other character from Mario depending on the game.

However, the health system in Mario games is inconsistent. So it's irrelevant regarding canon strength.

It was the Lumas, not Rosalina, who saved the universe at the end of Mario Galaxy. And are we just going to ignore that she has found herself at the mercy of Bowser TWICE.

Thanks to the power of the Lumas, :rosalina: is an honorable mention. But she doesn't stand a chance against the likes of :4bowser:, :4ganondorf:, and :4palutena:.
It was not the Lumas, and the fact that she was at the mercy of Bowser ONCE was gameplay story segregation.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I always concluded that :rosalina: being defeated by:bowser2: was PIS (plot-induced stupidity).

And yes, building off of sonicbrawler, health bars are just game mechanics and should be ignored.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
actually i take everything back. pacman is the most powerful.
In all seriousness, he could be up there. I mean, his rev roll is a slower spin dash, his butt bounces can cause explosions in succession, he can shoot Pac dots like energy blasts, which can be charged, and there are the special Pac dots: one that gives him FORCE LIGHTNING, a ribbon ring one that basically acts as art attack from Paper Mario 2, one that turns his body to steel and drastically increasing his defenses (lava can't hurt him), and that's not even including his ghostly adventures powers. I'd say the force lightning alone immediately puts him above half the cast.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ganondorf after using a Master Ball on Mewtwo

gg :4ganondorf::mewtwopm:

Last edited:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Sorry this is gonna be long, but I love these sort of silly threads. lol

Normally, I'd say it's a toss up between these guys...

:4samus: It should go without saying at this point. She's tough but vulnerable for most of the game but by the end of each of her adventures she can basically hunt down anything. Her suit can adapt to any situation over time and represents the peak technological superiority of an ancient species, technology that's so advanced that it can apparently be tuned to fight off the paranormal. I don't think anybody can deny that at least from a purely gameplay related view that no other character is quite as held back for the sake of this games' balance than Samus is. She'd be saturating the stage with missiles and various beams while running as fast as Zero Suit Samus normally, and at the speed of light at most with an infinite jump, different types of views and scans and etc etc.

:4ness: Anyone who's familiar with the Mother series knows the potential of PSI, but Ness (and :lucas:) also follow the RPG rule. Basically...they're insane by the end of the game. Full global teleportation, healing, psychic shields, all forms of hypothetical kinesis, hugely physically devastating psychic attacks and the list goes on and is maybe only limited to your imagination.

:4kirby: He's cute, and his power is literally limitless. I remember in the anime that Dedede once got sucked into him, and saw an entire galaxy inside. lol And just look at the power of that mega vacuum he had in his most recent game.To be honest Kirby's kind of frightening.

:4palutena:, maybe :4pit: and :4darkpit: Palutena's a Goddess so that goes without saying. Pit and Pittoo are angels. I mean, on top of being full blown celestial beings anyone who's played Uprising knows they have some pretty out there weapons and powers at their disposal.

:mewtwopm: Its Mewtwo. His power is maximum. lol

:4ganondorf: He is very powerful but I think some people maybe oversell his power a bit, but regardless he's obviously enough of a threat that the three goddesses give him personal consideration. He is only, as far as we know, able to be hurt by holy weapons which is definitely a thing (too bad we don't have Simon Belmont in here right?) Plus I mean, on top of that and his powerful magic and fighting strength...he does carry within him the essence of basically a primordial arch-demon as well as usually the Triforce of Power.

:4sonic: He may have just one single claim to fame, but it's a pretty damn good one if the Flash is any indication. Super speed is just one of those abilities that on its own warrants mention, and that's without Super Sonic. Even if he's still susceptible to its no use.

That's more straightforwardly, I gotta mention some potentially OP or even debatable

:4shulk:
Ok I gotta get this out of the way because few have mentioned him, and since Xenoblade is still sorta obscure-ish it shouldn't be surprising; but anyone who's played Xenoblade to the very end knows what I'm talking about. Generally..he's a competent adventurer and swordfighter yes, (although he utilizes what is probably one of the most powerful and primordial objects any character in this game wields the Monado's crazy yo.), but as any who've reached the end know there's more to Shulk than just a boy with a crazy sword. It's debatable as it's more potential than what came to be, but I think it just has to be mentioned. Sorry if I'm coming across as vague I just don't want to spoil things incase any here do end up playing it later.

:4duckhunt: Ok hear me out. Think about it, it's not just the dog and the duck...even Sakurai himself has said that it's three characters representing the entire Duck Hunt game that players are fighting against. You know who the third one is?

Yes, that's right. It's "you". Or the player in general. The person in real life, shooting a light zapper at the screen. It's only debatable because we're breaking the fourth wall here, but it is worth mentioning as the concept of this character in Smash Brothers involves the IRL player...which in the context of video game characters you can't get any more out there than that.

:rosalina: I only say it's debatable because the ending to Mario Galaxy is so debatable, as is the full magnitude of her power or even what role she plays in the universe. For such a popular character, there's still very little known about Rosalina and it's probably going to stay that way (I hope so, it gives her mystery.). I mean...did she really create a Big Bang? That's the assumption but to me I remember it still being so vague. Whatever the case, she's got some sort of cosmically transcending view of the universe which is itself a pretty awesome quality. She does have some sort of incredible power and more than likely belongs up above, but she's still undefined enough to I think be a bit more on the debatable side

:pt: Yes, if he has the entire Pokedex he's potentially insane, but then we get into the debate over whether it's really him...or what he's captured and it's just endlessly debatable. It's worth mention definitely but it's not so clear cut.

:4link:/:4tlink: and :4zelda:/:4sheik: I only wanna mention them because having the Triforce of Courage and Wisdom could be in itself something worth mentioning, on top of all the things they have at their disposal. But that's really debatable.

I -kinda- want to mention Fire Emblem characters too in this, as many of them aren't only really strong (Well at least Ike and Robin are) but lead armies, but that could be getting into semantics and I think I've named enough.

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
:rosalina: I only say it's debatable because the ending to Mario Galaxy is so debatable, as is the full magnitude of her power or even what role she plays in the universe. For such a popular character, there's still very little known about Rosalina and it's probably going to stay that way (I hope so, it gives her mystery.). I mean...did she really create a Big Bang? That's the assumption but to me I remember it still being so vague. Whatever the case, she's got some sort of cosmically transcending view of the universe which is itself a pretty awesome quality. She does have some sort of incredible power and more than likely belongs up above, but she's still undefined enough to I think be a bit more on the debatable side
I doubt Rosa herself did, but the lumas probably did. Judging from the Galaxy games, 3D World, and half of her move set from Smash, she is very dependent on them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I doubt Rosa herself did, but the lumas probably did. Judging from the Galaxy games, 3D World, and half of her move set from Smash, she is very dependent on them.
Rosalina is the mother of Lumas. A child is dependant on the mother, not the other way around. This applies to their Smash moveset too.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Captain Falcon can destroy the universe and all timelines with only a Falcon Punch. That makes Ganon the second strongest character in the game. But ofcourse, a son is expected to surpass his father.

Top Bottom