• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Strength: Offensive capabilities; how much damage they could rack up on a "punching bag" (could be a city if you like; anything that doesn't fight back). This includes physical strength, weapons, and any other ability with offensive capabilities.
That is a hard one. :4wario2: are :4dk: strong in lifting power but never OHKOd someone with a punch. :4littlemac: put up a fight with Mike Tyson.

Defense: How much of a beating they can take, without fighting back; basically being the "punching bag." This includes physical toughness, armor, shields, and any other ability with defensive capabilities.
Easy, Sandbag.

:4wario2: has been invincible for 2 games in a row. (:4kirby: in one while yarn.) :4bowser: has died a lot. :4gaw:, :4rob:, :4duckhunt: haven't been canonically seen fighting. (:4rob: raced with some of the Mario cast and :4duckhunt: can be shot in the arcade version of Duck Hunt.)

Speed/Agility: Anything relating to mobility; how well the character can get around. This includes running speed, vehicles, jumping, teleportation, and any other ability that can be used to get around.
:4luigi: is often more agile than :4mario: and :4diddy: and Dixie are more agile than :4dk:. :4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: stand a chance do to who knows how many hours of yoga.

:4zss: is super mobile with her suit.

Tactics: Strategies used by the character, or abilities used to confuse the opponent. This includes mindgames, decoys, and any other potential strategies using canonized Smash moves.
I'm not very certain with this one but I know that :4peach: uses mental warfare against her opponents.

• :4myfriends: and :4shulk: have god-slaying swords, meaning they have a chance against :4palutena:
:4wario2: has deity slaying FIST! :4dk: and :4diddy: have deity slaying FEET! Try and beat that.

Last edited:

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
I'd have to say Captain Falcon, considering he could just run anybody over with his machine going 10,000 mph.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That is a hard one. :4wario2: are :4dk: strong in lifting power but never OHKOd someone with a punch. :4littlemac: put up a fight with Mike Tyson.

Easy, Sandbag.

:4wario2: has been invincible for 2 games in a row. (:4kirby: in one while yarn.) :4bowser: has died a lot. :4gaw:, :4rob:, :4duckhunt: haven't been canonically seen fighting. (:4rob: raced with some of the Mario cast and :4duckhunt: can be shot in the arcade version of Duck Hunt.)

:4luigi: is often more agile than :4mario: and :4diddy: and Dixie are more agile than :4dk:. :4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: stand a chance do to who knows how many hours of yoga.

I'm not very certain with this one but I know that :4peach: uses mental warfare against her opponents.

:4wario2: has deity slaying FIST! :4dk: and :4diddy: have deity slaying FEET! Try and beat that.
Well, the point of the format isn't really to just say "X is best in Y category," but rather to list each character's moves in Smash, canonize them, and make conclusions for each category based on that (i.e. Mario has good mobility because his cape allows him to fly), and then make conclusions on who is best in each category, and form an overall "tier list," based on these results.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
:4dk:, obviously. He punched the Moon into Earth and bounced it back into orbit. Takes a lot of strength to accomplish such a feat, not even Super Saiyan God Goku could do that.

LightLV

Smash Ace
So glad for this discussion, i have something to do at work now yay

:4samus:: I'd appreciate it if you could provide some specific examples on her abilities, so we can compare strength/power rather than feats.
:4samus: =

Suit:
- scan visor shows the suit is capable of critically analyzing almost anything. Even being able to tell what elements/compounds it's composed of and suggest weaknesses.
- Gravity suit allows her to move through pretty much any liquid substance unhindered, including acid and being submerged in lava, while taking no damage. Safe to say, it's pretty freaking tough. Also immune to the vacuum of space.
- Space jump upgrade allows her to jump indefinitely, Mach Speed upgrade does what it sounds like it does

Weapons:
- Her basic power beam reduces pretty much every enemy into a shower of organs, and thats without upgrades. Despite how it works in Smash Bros, it is not at all a slow weapon.
- Wave beam goes through walls (not on 3D games though, for practical reasons most likely) By the time she gets the Plasma beam, you're literally disintegrating fully shielded enemies. In Prime 3, you're able to use this to melt obsticles out of your way.
- The Screw Attack annihilates pretty much anything it touches, and is her strongest non-situational ability.

:4shulk:: Who said he relied on his party members? As stated before, Shulk is basically omnipotent, and can will anything into (or out of) existence.
:4shulk:I've never played xenoblade, but i guess that would make him the most powerful...but that doesn't make for a very fun character battle. "WELL, IM GOD" is like, the most lame power pick ever. Nobody liked the kid who did that, he's no fun.

:4sonic:: First off, it doesn't help your argument to insult an entire fanbase and the games' creators. If you don't like the games, fine, but there's no reason to insult them. Second, force = mass * acceleration. What Sonic lacks in raw power, he makes up for with raw speed. I made a whole post about taking Sonic's Smash moves and applying canonical properties to them, so I'll keep it brief here. Sonic can move so fast that Samus couldn't see him, regardless of Chozo training, and that's even before he enters Super Sonic. Also, we're not really pulling from one game here; we're pulling from canon. Essentially, if it was ever in a game, it counts in the topic. By the way, what do you mean by a "scale of stupid?" Stupidly large? Powerful? Stupid in design? On the subject of Super Sonic, your logic doesn't really make sense for the SA 1/2 forms (just because Samus can beat the final bosses doesn't mean she can beat the hero who also beat those same bosses), and as mentioned before, Crisis City is in Sonic Generations, so '06's canonical status is debatable. However, your argument regarding the Dark Gaia fight is valid.
I've played nearly every sonic game since 1991, sorry if i'm a bit bitter about how ****ty a series it's become. First and foremost. I guess what i'm really getting at here is, Sonic is one of those characters where treating him as one, single, consistent entity is nearly impossible because of how many times his story has changed and how inconsistent its characters and abilities are. Nevermind the part where we ask how Sonic miraculously gained the ability to summon some magical force to accelerate himself forward (even midair) without using his legs. Super Sonic is definitely the most inconsistent ability he's had. He's always been able to fly with it, but the actual strength of the form is never quite solid. He's invincible to all of eggmans' ****ty robots, but isn't completely invincible since missiles / energy blasts are are still able to knock him away and even take rings from him. In Unleashed, Eggman built a machine capable of not only restraining him but stripping his form away.

The most important thing here is realizing that Sonic's strength comes from rings, a substance that doesn't...exist. What i mean is, they're clearly part of gameplay, but you have never seen a ring in a sonic CG cutscene, nor have rings been a plot device. They dont mention them or anything. But in cutscenes, being threatened with a gun, or lava, a bomb or a spinning saw blade is a very real threat on sonic's life.

SOOOOO In the end, putting Samus and Sonic against eachother, you'd have to make some kind of compromise based on their stories. The winner would honestly depend on which you choose.

Assuming Rings and Chaos Emeralds existed in Samus' universe, they would have some kind of scientific explanation, Space pirates would be all over them, the federation would likely have some technology surrounding them, and Samus would undoubtedly have some suit modification to make use of them. Sonic's abilities would likely be understood as well. Otherwise, Samus would likely lose, only because while in the Metroid universe, physics and energy are quantified, while in Sonic, stuff just happens because, well, the storyline said it happened.

:4megaman:: Yeah, Mega Man might not be the best candidate out there, but he is very versatile with his Robot Master abilities, and don't forget the Rush moves/adapters (Super Adapter is fairly powerful, if I'm not mistaken).
Nothing Mega Man, X, or Zero has fought or acquired has ever been anywhere close to the scale of power or technology in the metroid universe. Case in point...the megaman universe still takes place on Earth.

:rosalina:: Gameplay/story segregation. If you played as someone as powerful as Rosalina (flight, etc.), it wouldn't be a platformer. If you played as Rosalina, it wouldn't be a Mario game. Much like Sonic is slowed down to make the game not too hard, Rosalina enlists Mario's help to make the game not too easy.
It doesn't really matter, point still stands that if Rosalina actually had combat potential, she would never have needed Mario's help. Bowser isn't some kind of god, Mario kicks his ass every time they get into it.

:4ganondorf:: Well, Ganondorf can canonically only be defeated with the Master Sword, IIRC.
Whatever...there are no guns in the LoZ universe, it's all swords and steel. I highly doubt Gannondorf could take a single chargeshot from samus. Not to mention Light Arrows royally murdering this guy, and Samus once had not only a Light Beam but an entire light suit upgrade.

:4shulk:again, since you mentioned him twice: So an omnipotent being who uses a godly weapon that happens to be a sword is discounted for his weapon of choice?
Well...yeah? Without some magical BS reality changing god powers to help him anyway.

:4pit:: So you're discounting him for his aesthetic?
:4palutena:: Yeah, Pit is likely more powerful than Palutena, but I'd imagine she's still pretty powerful, being a goddess and all.
Come on man, look at him. He got his ass handed to him by Link. He stands no chance. Realistically speaking, Samus borrows powers all the time, but if he's allowed to borrow power from palutena during a fight, Samus should be able to borrow **** from anyone she likes, which makes this almost an impossible fight for both of them.

:4lucario:: Your argument is "lol?" You're not even going to give any reasons, or evidence, or even another word besides "lol?" You should really step up your arguments.
....It's a pokemon. There are more than a few bosses in the Metroid Universe that would **** on most legendary pokemon in the series.

Ridley himself would likely be considered a legendary pokemon...organic ridley, not the enhanced Meta Ridley, or completely OP Omega Ridley.

Again, you can't make such claims without sources and/or examples. Unless you provide a canon example where Samus can "vaporize everything with her ridiculous weaponry and outsmart everything with her suit," then your argument doesn't hold water. Also, about the outsmarting thing, isn't the suit just a, you know, suit? As in it doesn't actually affect her brain/intellect/reflexes, only her physical abilities.
Suit:
- scan visor shows the suit is capable of critically analyzing almost anything. Even being able to tell what elements/compounds it's composed of and suggest weaknesses.

Again, Metroid takes place in a universe with a highly, highly, highly advanced human race. Unlike most series, humanity is shown to be among the most competent and powerful of them all. And Samus' suit was made by a race of beings smarter than pretty much everyone, so yeah, it efficiently makes her smarter.

And the strength of weapons in the metroid universe don't really need confirming or anything. When you shoot stuff in-game, the enemies tend to literally explode. Space Pirates usually just ragdoll, but chargeshot plasma beam literally disintegrates them in-game.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
So glad for this discussion, i have something to do at work now yay

:4samus: =

Suit:
- Gravity suit allows her to move through pretty much any liquid substance unhindered, including acid and being submerged in lava, while taking no damage. Safe to say, it's pretty freaking tough. Also immune to the vacuum of space.
- Space jump upgrade allows her to jump indefinitely, Mach Speed upgrade does what it sounds like it does

Weapons:
- Her basic power beam reduces pretty much every enemy into a shower of organs, and thats without upgrades. Despite how it works in Smash Bros, it is not at all a slow weapon.
- Wave beam goes through walls (not on 3D games though, for practical reasons most likely) By the time she gets the Plasma beam, you're literally disintegrating fully shielded enemies. In Prime 3, you're able to use this to melt obsticles out of your way.
- The Screw Attack annihilates pretty much anything it touches, and is her strongest non-situational ability.

:4shulk:I've never played xenoblade, but i guess that would make him the most powerful...but that doesn't make for a very fun character battle. "WELL, IM GOD" is like, the most lame power pick ever. Nobody liked the kid who did that, he's no fun.

I've played nearly every sonic game since 1991, sorry if i'm a bit bitter about how ****ty a series it's become. First and foremost. I guess what i'm really getting at here is, Sonic is one of those characters where treating him as one, single, consistent entity is nearly impossible because of how many times his story has changed and how inconsistent its characters and abilities are. Nevermind the part where we ask how Sonic miraculously gained the ability to summon some magical force to accelerate himself forward (even midair) without using his legs. Super Sonic is definitely the most inconsistent ability he's had. He's always been able to fly with it, but the actual strength of the form is never quite solid. He's invincible to all of eggmans' ****ty robots, but isn't completely invincible since missiles / energy blasts are are still able to knock him away and even take rings from him. In Unleashed, Eggman built a machine capable of not only restraining him but stripping his form away.

The most important thing here is realizing that Sonic's strength comes from rings, a substance that doesn't...exist. What i mean is, they're clearly part of gameplay, but you have never seen a ring in a sonic CG cutscene, nor have rings been a plot device. They dont mention them or anything. But in cutscenes, being threatened with a gun, or lava, a bomb or a spinning saw blade is a very real threat on sonic's life.

SOOOOO In the end, putting Samus and Sonic against eachother, you'd have to make some kind of compromise based on their stories. The winner would honestly depend on which you choose.

Assuming Rings and Chaos Emeralds existed in Samus' universe, they would have some kind of scientific explanation, Space pirates would be all over them, the federation would likely have some technology surrounding them, and Samus would undoubtedly have some suit modification to make use of them. Sonic's abilities would likely be understood as well. Otherwise, Samus would likely lose, only because while in the Metroid universe, physics and energy are quantified, while in Sonic, stuff just happens because, well, the storyline said it happened.

Nothing Mega Man, X, or Zero has fought or acquired has ever been anywhere close to the scale of power or technology in the metroid universe. Case in point,, the megaman universe still takes place on Earth.

It doesn't really matter, point still stands that if Rosalina actually had combat potential, she would never have needed Mario's help. Bowser isn't some kind of god, Mario kicks his *** every time they get into it.

Whatever...there are no guns in the LoZ universe, it's all swords and steel. I highly doubt Gannondorf could take a single chargeshot from samus. Not to mention Light Arrows royally murdering this guy, and Samus once had not only a Light Beam but an entire light suit upgrade.

Well...yeah? Without some magical BS reality changing god powers to help him anyway.

Come on man, look at him. He got his *** handed to him by Link. He stands no chance.

....It's a pokemon. There are more than a few bosses in the Metroid Universe that would **** on most legendary pokemon in the series.

Suit:

Again, Metroid takes place in a universe with a highly, highly, highly advanced human race. Unlike most series, humanity is shown to be among the most competent and powerful of them all. And Samus' suit was made by a race of beings smarter than pretty much everyone.
:4samus:: Thank you for providing specific examples. That's all I asked. However, I'm pretty sure the titular enemy of the series (AKA the Metroid) requires 5 missiles to defeat, after being frozen by the ice beam, and can't be defeated by the regular Power Beam. In fact, I found the following quote from the Metroid Wiki: "The Power Beam does little damage to more powerful enemies(...)." - http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Beam So it doesn't obliterate "pretty much every enemy," only the weakest ones.

:4shulk:: Yeah, that's not very fun, but it is canon. That's why I proposed a different system earlier today (it's near the end of the previous page), to kind of spice things up a bit.

:4sonic:: Again, it's fine if you don't like the games, but there's no need to insult every one of them just because you don't like it. There have been bad Sonic games, but Colors, Generations, and Lost World were great games, in my opinion. If they weren't in yours, then that's no reason to just insult them and their creators. Anyway, about the "different abilities in different games" argument, that's true for pretty much all characters with multiple games that vary at all. Mario has the Spin in Galaxy, but in Sunshine he has FLUDD, while the Triple Jump goes on and off, along with water breathing, the Cape, and countless other aspects of his character. Likewise, Samus's abilities vary from game to game. In Super Metroid, she can jump infinitely, but in Prime, she only gains a double jump, while in Prime 2 (and 3 IIRC) she gains the ability to jump up to five times, all of which have different combinations of the Screw Attack and other abilities. Pretty much no character is consistent across every single game. That's why we take everything they've ever done and compare that list here. If it's on the Powers and Abilities page of a Wikia (with canonical sources, of course), it counts here.

Why does it matter whether something is in gameplay or a cutscene? They're both part of the same, canon game. Mario dying has never been in a cutscene, yet he can definitely die. Of course Sonic would be threatened by a gun or something; it causes harm to him. If it causes harm to him, then it can kill him if he's hit enough times with it (that being two: one to knock out the rings, and another to finish the job).

We are making a compromise based on the stories: everything they've ever done counts.

Of course Chaos Emeralds don't exist in the Metroid universe (if they're even different universes, but that's another entire discussion); they're a part of the Sonic franchise.

:4megaman:: I never said Mega Man was on the same level as Samus; I just said that he does have some tricks up his sleeve, and that he shouldn't be discounted entirely with his wide arsenal.

:rosalina:: I never said Bowser was some kind of "god;" I'm just saying that it's likely you don't play as the flying space goddess character so that the game can be somewhat difficult.

:4ganondorf:: The idea behind the Master Sword being the only weapon able to kill Ganondorf isn't because it's so much more powerful/advanced/what have you; it's because that specific sword was created by the gods and blessed with godly powers to defeat the immortal King of Evil. Samus's arm cannon isn't blessed by the gods; therefore, it can't defeat Ganondorf canonically.

:4shulk:: So by that logic, I could say Samus loses because she uses an arm cannon and not a sword, without any ground to base my claims? Because that's pretty much what you're doing, except the other way around.

:4pit:/:4palutena:: See? That's actually a good argument about his strength, and not discounting someone for their series' aesthetic.

:4lucario:: Again, that's a better argument than "lol."

Again, thank you for providing specific examples rather than "humanity in Metroid is advanced, therefore Samus wins."

...And now to reply to your edits.

:4pit:/:4palutena:: I never said Pit could borrow powers from Palutena. By the way, out of curiosity, what powers does Samus borrow?

:4lucario:: Yeah, Ridley is pretty big powerful. (Phew, dodged a bullet there.)

Aren't you confirming the strength of the weapons when you state an example from the game, though? That's what confirming means.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Ignoring the three most controversial/powerful (sonic, shulk, samus) {lol at the three S's}

I'd say 4th place belongs to kirby. Who despite his goofy appearance has dealt with threats that would make most of the other heroes balk.

Plus this little gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuwEk4r_WU

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
:4dk:, obviously. He punched the Moon into Earth and bounced it back into orbit. Takes a lot of strength to accomplish such a feat, not even Super Saiyan God Goku could do that.
That's because Goku is "powerful" but not very "strong". DK is the complete opposite. He can blow things like that up but he can't physically lift them.

I'd have to say Captain Falcon, considering he could just run anybody over with his machine going 10,000 mph.
Unfortunately. I would love to say Captain Falcon, but some characters are durable enough to withstand his car's impact. Though it's worth noting for anyone saying Pit is top tier that he admitted in the codec in Smash that he wouldn't stand a chance against the Blue Falcon or an Arwing.

Easy, Sandbag.

Going by the Mario RPG's and Smash, Mario is faster than Luigi. But Luigi is definitely more agile.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Double post accident

Please ignore

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm considering starting a new topic for the new "canon Smash movesets" style of debate, mainly to avoid confusion in this topic as to whether an argument is based on "pure canon" or "canonized Smash movesets." Would that be counted as spam/duplicating this topic?

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Ignoring the three most controversial/powerful (sonic, shulk, samus) {lol at the three S's}

I'd say 4th place belongs to kirby. Who despite his goofy appearance has dealt with threats that would make most of the other heroes balk.

Plus this little gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuwEk4r_WU
I think Ganondorf and Ness definitely belong after Shulk and Sonic. Ganondorf is a class 100+ hitter with access to TK, regenerative abilities, inter-dimensional travel, energy projection, etc. Not saying it's a cakewalk for him against Samus, who is also a formidable fighter, but you can't discount him.

Ness also has an array of powers, including teleportation, paralysis, mind-****, healing, arguably class 80-100 strength, and probably most important against Samus: shields. Ness is not only going to be dishing out punishment, but he's going to be able to tank whatever Samus has to offer and then some.

Again, these are opinions, but Ganondorf and Ness haven't gotten a lot of love in this thread so I thought I'd bring them up.

Selenite

Smash Cadet

Ridley himself would likely be considered a legendary pokemon...organic ridley, not the enhanced Meta Ridley, or completely OP Omega Ridley.

If the Pokémon games weren't chained down by PG ratings then they would show you just how fearsome they are rather than telling you in the Pokédex.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
DK is the only character that can grab people and walk around with them before throwing them.... grab them, walk off stage, throw, recover..... well i guess kirby and dedede can also do this but they eat them.....

LightLV

Smash Ace
DK is the only character that can grab people and walk around with them before throwing them.... grab them, walk off stage, throw, recover..... well i guess kirby and dedede can also do this but they eat them.....
Honestly there should be way more characters who can do this. Link's gauntlets should let him do it, Gannon, Ike now definitely, Samus AND Zero Suit, Bowser, Kirby, Dedede.....

....yeah, but it'd be a terrible idea lol

If the Pokémon games weren't chained down by PG ratings then they would show you just how fearsome they are rather than telling you in the Pokédex.
Dont think that changes much in the discussion though. Still only puts the majority of them on a basic level of enemies in most games.

Last edited:

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
Honestly there should be way more characters who can do this. Link's gauntlets should let him do it, Gannon, Ike now definitely, Samus AND Zero Suit, Bowser, Kirby, Dedede.....

ya that ability of DK's is rarely used anyways...

and most pokedex entries revel how "fearsoom and powerfull pokemon are....
entei's says that a volcano erupts eveytime it roars... thats power.....

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'm considering starting a new topic for the new "canon Smash movesets" style of debate, mainly to avoid confusion in this topic as to whether an argument is based on "pure canon" or "canonized Smash movesets." Would that be counted as spam/duplicating this topic?
It shouldn't, it's for a good cause.

LightLV

Smash Ace
That'd be dope.

Actually, i just realized I skipped over Kirby in my posts...I dont know why I did that, he probably has one of the highest power caps, the guy is a monster.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My tier list (Smash 4 characters only and not necessarily in order):
GOD TIER
:4shulk:
: Possesses one of the two Monados, a god-slaying sword, and also became a god himself after killing one, giving him the ability to reshape reality at will, giving him the ability to destroy anyone. He also has Vision, which allows him to forsee and prevent him and/or his friends to be hit from lethal attacks, then counterattack.
:rosalina:: Can create a shield for an indefinite amount of time that seems to block any of Mario's attacks. Can use her home as a spaceship and commands the Luma, little being able to create a whole universe. Considered immortal, as she visits the Mushroom Kingdom every 100 years since long enough to consider it a regular event and make a festival for it.
:4ganondorf:: Possesses the Triforce of Power and was seen using a sword and powerful magic. This iteration of Ganondorf can uses the Twilight Realm's monsters at will, due to his partnership with Zant. He was able to kill Midna while she was at her most powerful form. Can transform into Ganon. Only the Master Sword can kill him.

MIGHTY TIER
:4sonic:: Is fast enough to break ships in half, run on water and other feats. Can use Chaos Control to slow down time (much like Shulk's Vision). However, he does have weaknesses: can't swin and relies on rings to survive. Also, Super Sonic.
:4metaknight:: Since he's from the same species as Kirby, it is assumed that he has the same abilities and just chose not to use them (but he could). Also has the ability to teleport, fly, deflect projectiles with the Tornado attack and many other things without inhaling someone.
:4kirby:: Can copy numerous abilities (including the Falcon Punch!) by inhaling the enemy, but can only use one at a time. Each ability allows him to use different powers. Unlike in Smash, when he inhales something, it cannot come back, so Kirby is a walking black hole. Can jump multiple times due to his light weight.
:4bowser:: Skin is fire-proof and his skeleton, shell and hair (but not eyebrows) are lava-proof. Shell is invicible, can become a GIANT, spit fire (fireballs or flamethrower), incredibly powerful, really fast (again, look at Super Mario 64) and can use hammers, bombs and controls and entire army of turtles, shrooms, ghosts, octopie, huge heels and robots. Has a Flying Tank calld the Koopa Clown Car which has tons of weapons. Projectiles don't make him flinch or stop whatever he's doing.
:mewtwopm:: The infamous Uber-Legendary himself. A man-made pshychopatic Pokemon with the ability to learn most (if not all) of the possible attacks. Has two Mega Evolutions (Although X seems to be the best one) and can use the incredibly powerful Psystrike ability.
:4ness:: When at his full potential, the only thing he can't beat is Giygas. His powers are, in fact, nearly god-like after cleaning his mind from the darkness within it.
:4samus:/:4zss:: Trained by the Chozo since her childhood. Her Power Suit is filled with many high-tech, state-of-the art weapons (energy blast, ice, missiles, Screw Attack, tether, you name it) and she is considered a one-(wo)man army with it. Without it, she's incredibly fast (about half Sonic's max speed, IIRC), agile (Cirque du Soleil couldn't rival her in a flexibility contest) and nearly as strong as when she wears her Power Suit. If you include Smash stuff, she also has Jet Boots, which not only gives her powerful kicks (she don't even need that strength boost), but could also allow her to fly, or at least glide, make her jumps higher. (if it become a Metroid thing). She's also really hot. :p
:4ludwig:: Can perform the Flutter Jump, levitate, teleport and duplicate himself. His Ground Pound can stun. His magic wand can shoot up to four projectiles at once. Can manipulate electricity. Unlike other Koopalings, Ludwig can use his shell in an offensive, rather than simply using it as a defensive strategy (he does that too, though), just like Junior and Bowser. Can spit three fireballs at the exact same time (even Bowser can't do that!). Spin Attack can make foes dizzy. Can climb and swing on chains while shooting more projectiles, the only Koopaling to do so. His jumping skills are insane, considering he's a Koopa, as he can jump extremely far and perform several flips.
:4bowserjr:: High-ranked heir to the Koopa Empire. Has a magic bandana allowing him to become Mario, replicating all his abilities (except F.L.U.D.D. and Fire manipulation). Can shoot fireballs and use all of Bowser's abilities, although weaker (since he's his son). Also has the heavily armored Junior Clown Car, which seems even better than Bowser's Koopa Clown Car. His Magic Paintbrush can blind people or make the ground very slippy.
:4luigi:: Same abilities as Mario (sans the F.L.U.D.D.) + Flutter Jump, making him floatier + ability to manipulate electricity + Faster speed and better jumping than Mario, but poor acceleration and traction (wavedash?) + Spring Jump ability + Mr. L's robots (if he is the one who built them, of course).
:4mario:/:4drmario:: Is extremely agile, considering the multiples techniques he can do while jumping (including Galaxy's triple frontflip, which he does in about a single second). His legs were shown crushing countless enemies, multiple fortresses and even spaceships. He has superhuman strength, which is most obvious in the Bowser battles and King Bob-omb battles in Super Mario 64. Can manipulate fire without a Fire Flower in certain games and uses a Hammer. Can also use F.L.U.D.D. which has multiple uses. Is also quite smart.
:4wendy:: Can create rings that bounces off obstacles. Can create fake clones of herself using Spinies. Is incredibly agile both on the ground and underwater (very talented swimmer). Can flood an entire room with her wand. Very talented with rolling skates, making her much faster.
:4falcon:: FALCOOOON PUNCH!!!!!!!
:4myfriends:: Wields a two-handed god-slaying with only one hand, so we can assume he is quite strong. His Aura (Yup, he uses it too), allows him to surrond his blade with blue fire and deal more damage. However, he moves quite slowly.
:4zelda:/:4sheik:: Reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia. Possesses very powerful magic and the Light Bow, the latter allowing her to deal great damage to enemies, if they survive the shot. Can transform into Sheik, combining magic attacks and ninja skills.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Can use a very powerful sword (Levin Sword) and incredible magic using tomes. However, he can run out of what I like to call "magic juice" (the durability system, if you want the in-game terms) until he regains it after some time (each tome and the Levin Sword have their own unique durability).

TOUGH TIER
:4iggy:: Incredibly fast, running alone can cause his opponent to be dizzy. Can create lightning bolts with his wand. Has a pet Chain Chomp. Can also walk and stand on walls and ceilings. Can throw balls. Unused sprites shows him using his hair as a spear (Technically, they were never used, but were thought by Nintendo, making it canon). His wand allows him to uses chaotic magic spells and the ability to create monsters if a lava pit is nearby.
:4roy:: Can walk on walls and ceilings, can extend his arms (like Dhalsim of Street Fighter), uses a Bullet Bill Launcher and a magic wand that shoot magic attacks. His Ground Pound can stun you. Unused sprites shows him throwing spiked balls and body tackles, too. (Technically, they were never used, but were thought by Nintendo, making it canon)
:4morton:: Can walk on walls and ceilings, uses a magic hammer to throw Pokey segments and a magic wand that shoot spiked balls. His Ground Pound can stun you. Unused sprites shows him charging at the player and inflating like a balloon. (Technically, they were never used, but were thought by Nintendo, making it canon)
:4lucario:: His Aura allows him to become stronger as he gets damaged. Has a Mega Evolution too.
:4greninja:: Can teleport, make shurikens out of thin air, perform a counter (Substitute) and shoot water to push opponents back, among other things.
:4fox:: Has been trained to take down bounties and survive through difficult missions. Ace pilot, blasters, reflectors (or shines if you prefer), and robot legs, too.
:4falco:: Same a Fox, but his cockiness may lead to his downfall.
:4link:: Can use multiple weapons (like Pit), is a well trained fighter (despite the lack of training) and is Hyrule's Chosen One. Can lift big rocks without breaking a sweat.
:4darkpit:: Since he's a clone of Pit, he should have the exact same abilities and weaponry, but he is completely independant (doesn't need any help from a certain goddess). He could also fly by himself when he had Pandora's power within him, which he defeated his less than 3 punches (so badass).
:4pit:: Defeated three different gods in battle and even killed one of them (However, he did use the Great Sacred Tresure to do so and the other two were possessed by something). Has multiple kinds of weapons for any situation. Needs Palutena to protect him (See Palutena's special moves in SSB4 for 12 examples of protection). Can't fly by himself, though, and the Power of Flight can only make him fly for 5 minutes until his wings burn (which is fatal for him).
:4palutena:: Despite being the Goddess of Light, he needs Pit's help to do things she could do herself (especially since she can give him certain powers that can greatly help him), making her seemingly weaker, despite her immortality. Can fall under mind control, but will put up a good mental fight trying to prevent it from happening.
:4tlink:: Same as Link, but weaker.
:4megaman:: Is a projectile spammer who can learn his opponent's abilities, but only if he wins the fight. If he possesses all the abilities he has obtained from Mega man 1 through 10, he's Tough Tier.
:4charizard:: Flies, shoots fire, crushes rocks, has two Mega Evolutions (Although Y is the obvious superior).
:4yoshi:: Can (and will) eat anything, shape it into an egg and throw it. Can also Flutter Jump. However, it has poor fighting experience, since Yoshis are usually pacifist and will only fight if their people and/or friends are in danger (though they are still quite skilled).
:4dk:: Very strong, quite fast and decent agility.
:4wario:/:4wario2:: Like DK, but worse agility and speed, but has incredibly strong farts and can become Wario-Man. Can survive being split in half as well, giving him great survival skills. Has terrible breath.
:4diddy:: Really quick, has a jetpack and peanut gun. Extremely agile and overall annoying.
:4gaw:: If all Game & Watch titles are combined, his moveset should be quite interesting and would be a good challenge against certain characters.
:4lucina:: Generic sword user, can time travel under specific conditions if she survives a battle, succesfully starting over until she finally wins (this thing alone makes her in the Mighty Tier's bottom, rather than the Average Tier alongside Marth).

AVERAGE TIER
:4marth:: Generic sword user
:4lemmy:: Has great balance, as he dances while standing on a big bouncing circus ball, which he can also create with his wand, along with bombs. Can create Goomba clones as well as duplicating himself.
:4jigglypuff:: Rest is very effective, her singing can make you sleep and has great aerial prowess. Other than that, she barely has anything (but it's already a lot).
:4pikachu:: Quick, electricity attacks have good range. Thunder attack is very effective! Pika! Pika!
:4dedede:: Ability to float (like Kirby). Relies on his minions, but put up a good fight himself. can inhale like Kirby, but does not swallow. Uses a gigantic and powerful hammer too. Decent speed overall.
:4larry:: Weakest Koopaling. Always uses the same tactics. Spin Attack can make foes dizzy. Uses tennis rackets to taunt and bowling balls during battle. His wand shoots fire that can bounce off obstacles.
:4pacman:: Decent fighting skills, if you include the robot he rides in Street Fighter X Tekken.

BOTTOM TIER
:4littlemac:/:4wiremac:
: He's an ordinary guy who just happens to be a world boxing champion.
:4wiifitm:/:4wiifit:: Only a personal fitness trainer... nothing fancy here.......
:4mii:/:4miif:: His abilities are only decent, no matter how awesome they look.
:4peach:: Keeps getting captured, but her abilities seems to hint she may be decent at fighting.
:4villager:/:4villagerf:: He/She's a kid. His/Her psychopatic personnality is only some internet jokes. GET OVER IT!!!!
:4olimar:/:4alph:: The only ones doing the fighting are the Pikmin, and those are pretty weak.
:4duckhunt:: Guys, that's a dog, a duck and a gamer so shy he stays behind the screen........
:4rob:: It's just a NES accessory........

LightLV

Smash Ace
Here's mine. It's ranked not only by practical ability of the character, but the scale of power of the world they're from.

God Tier - dumb ****
- Because, apparently, he's a literal god or some dumb ****.

S Tier - Access to grand power beyond imagining
:4samus: :4zss:-
She's from the most technologically advanced universe, and her arsenal shows it. She has access to more intelligence and power than anyone else in Smash Bros, not to mention she's got a lifetime of combat experience.

:4fox::4falco: - They're space fighters, summoning landmaster tanks and carrying blaster weapons, and they battle some pretty ridiculous looking stuff.

:4darkpit::4palutena::4pit: - Same deal. Somewhere under the level of Star Fox. Technology is swapped for powerful magics.

:4sonic: - By himself he's pretty formidable, but even with Tails he can't keep up with the abilities and technology of the other guys. With the Chaos Emeralds he's more than capable of dealing with any typical earth-borne nemesis though.

A Tier - Far beyond superhuman limits
:4kirby: :4mario::4luigi: :4megaman:- Star surfers, galaxy savers, lighthearted heroes but win over ridiculous odds. somehow. They seem to just kick everyone's ass. Megaman....id have put him in S-Tier, but I really don't even think he could truly beat Mario in a fight. he's pretty formidable though, I would have put him above Sonic if he was X, but there aren't really any mavericks on Sonic's level to gauge his strength against.

:4bowser::4bowserjr: - Despite how badly he gets ***** by the Mario Brothers, Bowser is no pushover. He kicked Rosalina's ass to the curb and stole all her **** by himself.

:rosalina: - I'm putting her this high only because shes a galactic entity. But she should probably go lower because, regardless of what she is, she has shown zero combat ability, and bowser seems to do a good job at antagonizing her.

:4ganondorf::4zelda::4link::4sheik: :4tlink:- They always are on equal standing of one another. Technically no one of them should be stronger than the other, the only reason Gannondorf gets as far as he does is because apparently he's just smarter than the other two.

:4charizard::4lucario::4pikachu::4greninja:- And finally to close out this tier, we have these Pokemon. Pretty powerful and (seemingly) intelligent beasts in their own right. Any one of them would likely be quickly slain by Link if they were placed in a dungeon though, which is why they're at the bottom of A.

B Tier - Super human ability
At this point we've crossed out majority of the universes featuring reality-shattering magic and energy levels.

:4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm: - I'm placing these guys at the top because they DO have magic in this world, just more grounded magics. No real technology though. Not to mention, every one of these characters are hardened through real, experienced combat.

:4ness: - He's psychic, nuff said.

:4wario2: - He's pretty damn strong. He should probably be up there with mario, but honestly i havent played enough of his games.
:4yoshi: - More power in numbers than anything, but he did have an adventure where he kicked some ass.

:4dedede: - He's Kirby's antagonist, but it's made pretty clear that 1) he's no match for him, and 2) they aren't really enemies. Dedede isn't so much an enemy as he is an annoyance. Despite that, he's from Kirby's universe so he's pretty tough, and that hammer is pretty ridiculous.

C Tier - Strong by human standards

:4falcon: -
He's in a futuristic world. I mean honestly, he's just a really powerful guy. He's from a world that has guns, so i guess he's formidable, but everyone above him in this list has Magic, so meh.

:4dk::4diddy: -
Apes. DK is pretty freaking powerful, but he'd be quickly slain (or shot) by anyone above him in this list in a deathbattle.

F Tier - Average, even by human standards.

:4littlemac: - He's just a boxer. A really good one, but even mike tyson would get his arms ripped off by a giant ape.

:4jigglypuff: - Jigglypuff is a balloon type pokemon. Sure it fights, but nobody takes it seriously. It's not even in its final form.

:4peach: - Not a fighter, at all.
:4wiifit: - Not a fighter, at all.

Trash Tier - Non-threatening by human standards

:4duckhunt: -
The pooch that fetches dead birds...?
:4olimar: - Are you serious little guy? Go away.
:4rob: - oops tripped over the power cord
:4villager: - (kicks)

Wtf Tier - ????
:4pacman::4gaw: -
No clue how to even rank these guys, so they aren't above or below anyone really.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Here's mine. It's ranked not only by practical ability of the character, but the scale of power of the world they're from.

God Tier - dumb ****

She's from the most technologically advanced universe, and her arsenal shows it. She has access to more intelligence and power than anyone else in Smash Bros, not to mention she's got a lifetime of combat experience.

:4fox::4falco: - They're space fighters, summoning landmaster tanks and carrying blaster weapons, and they battle some pretty ridiculous looking stuff.

:4darkpit::4palutena::4pit: - Same deal. Somewhere under the level of Star Fox. Technology is swapped for powerful magics.

:4sonic: - By himself he's pretty formidable, but even with Tails he can't keep up with the abilities and technology of the other guys. With the Chaos Emeralds he's more than capable of dealing with any typical earth-borne nemesis though.

:4kirby: :4mario::4luigi: :4megaman:- Star surfers, galaxy savers, lighthearted heroes but win over ridiculous odds. somehow. They seem to just kick everyone's ***. Megaman....id have put him in S-Tier, but I really don't even think he could truly beat Mario in a fight. he's pretty formidable though, I would have put him above Sonic if he was X, but there aren't really any mavericks on Sonic's level to gauge his strength against.

:4bowser::4bowserjr: - Despite how badly he gets ***** by the Mario Brothers, Bowser is no pushover. He kicked Rosalina's *** to the curb and stole all her **** by himself.

:rosalina: - I'm putting her this high only because shes a galactic entity. But she should probably go lower because, regardless of what she is, she has shown zero combat ability, and bowser seems to do a good job at antagonizing her.

:4ganondorf::4zelda::4link::4sheik: :4tlink:- They always are on equal standing of one another. Technically no one of them should be stronger than the other, the only reason Gannondorf gets as far as he does is because apparently he's just smarter than the other two.

:4charizard::4lucario::4pikachu::4greninja:- And finally to close out this tier, we have these Pokemon. Pretty powerful and (seemingly) intelligent beasts in their own right. Any one of them would likely be quickly slain by Link if they were placed in a dungeon though, which is why they're at the bottom of A.

At this point we've crossed out majority of the universes featuring reality-shattering magic and energy levels.

:4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm: - I'm placing these guys at the top because they DO have magic in this world, just more grounded magics. No real technology though. Not to mention, every one of these characters are hardened through real, experienced combat.

:4wario2: - He's pretty damn strong. He should probably be up there with mario, but honestly i havent played enough of his games.
:4yoshi: - More power in numbers than anything, but he did have an adventure where he kicked some ***.

:4dedede: - He's Kirby's antagonist, but it's made pretty clear that 1) he's no match for him, and 2) they aren't really enemies. Dedede isn't so much an enemy as he is an annoyance. Despite that, he's from Kirby's universe so he's pretty tough, and that hammer is pretty ridiculous.

He's in a futuristic world. I mean honestly, he's just a really powerful guy. He's from a world that has guns, so i guess he's formidable, but everyone above him in this list has Magic, so meh.
:4dk::4diddy: - Apes. DK is pretty freaking powerful, but he'd be quickly slain (or shot) by anyone above him in this list in a deathbattle.

:4littlemac: - He's just a boxer. A really good one, but even mike tyson would get his arms ripped off by a giant ape.

:4jigglypuff: - Jigglypuff is a balloon type pokemon. Sure it fights, but nobody takes it seriously. It's not even in its final form.

Wtf Tier - ????
No clue how to even rank these guys, so they aren't above or below anyone really.
Ganondorf and Ness in base form are both in S tier at least, although their positioning within it is somewhat fuzzy. If Link had prep time and had access to the Fierce Deity mask he's also in S, probably closer to the top too. I understand why you put him where he is without that though.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
It shouldn't, it's for a good kause.
Nope, then the ride will never end.

There are some krool moments like Darkri's mental torture in Black and White.

That's a good one.

What about :4wario2:? And wouldn't :4zss: get krushed by someone as heavy as :4dedede:, :4bowser: or :4wario2:?

TOUGH TIER
:4iggy:: Incredibly fast, running alone can cause his opponent to be dizzy. Can create lightning bolts with his wand. Has a pet Chain Chomp. Can also walk and stand on walls and ceilings. Kan throw balls. Unused sprites shows him using his hair as a spear (Technically, they were never used, but were thought by Nintendo, making it canon). His wand allows him to uses chaotic magic spells and the ability to kreate monsters if a lava pit is nearby.
Yardovich is the only character at Nintendo that used his head as a spear in-game. (I think.)

God Tier - dumb ****

:4kirby: :4mario::4luigi: :4megaman:- Star surfers, galaxy savers, lighthearted heroes but win over ridiculous odds. somehow. They seem to just kick everyone's ***. Megaman....id have put him in S-Tier, but I really don't even think he could truly beat Mario in a fight. he's pretty formidable though, I would have put him above Sonic if he was X, but there aren't really any mavericks on Sonic's level to gauge his strength against.

:4bowser::4bowserjr: - Despite how badly he gets ***** by the Mario Brothers, Bowser is no pushover. He kicked Rosalina's *** to the curb and stole all her **** by himself.

:4yoshi: - More power in numbers than anything, but he did have an adventure where he kicked some ***.

:4dk::4diddy: - Apes. DK is pretty freaking powerful, but he'd be quickly slain (or shot) by anyone above him in this list in a deathbattle.

Wtf Tier - ????
:4peach: has been fighting since SMRPG actually. Plus, is it that hard not to use any kuss words at all.

Anyways, everyone saw this koming.

Yep, it's the Krazy Krokodile King himself. Don't let his western wackiness fool you, HE'S ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!! Not only does he replace every hard C with a K but he down-right tortured :4dk: and :4diddy: the only times he caught them! No one ever seen :4bowser: brutalizing :4peach: or :4ganondorf: kicking :4zelda:. (That one time when :4zelda: was possessed in TP might be the closest it'll happen.) Not one hero might ever face a villain this krool..... :4shulk: doesn't have chances, :4bowser: is with :4mario: forever, Hades kan't take one thing seriously while Medusa does, :4dedede: is just a greedy jerk, and Giygas tried to destroy the universe and nothing else.

How is this green menace krool? Simple, his underlings are scared of K. Rool because he will feed them to the Klaptraps. Ridley has never threatened his fellow pirates to do his bidding or else. The only characters to... ever beat this King of Evil is, the Kongs.

:4dk:, :4diddy:, Dixie, Kiddy, Chunky, Lanky, and Tiny are the only ones to take the krok head on. Until someone defeats an antagonist this krazy no one here is be as brave as the Kongs.

Edit: 300th post!

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Other than not being able to defeat :4sonic: for 20 years running, I haven't seen Eggman throw his own robots into the trash compactor yet. Smithy doesn't care about the other's well being by the slightest and Kamek barely has character to him.
Those same badniks have little woodland critters, though. At least the Kremlings had a criminal record; the animals Robotnik (yes people still call him that, deal with it) stuffs in there were innocent! If anything, Robotnik is even more insane, especially when you take that laugh into account.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Those same badniks have little woodland critters, though. At least the Kremlings had a criminal record; the animals Robotnik (yes people still call him that, deal with it) stuffs in there were innocent! If anything, Robotnik is even more insane, especially when you take that laugh into account.
D'oh! I forgot the kritters from the Sonic series being turned into robots. But Sonic games are more light-hearted than Rare's games. (Kompare Banjo-Kazooie to Tooie.) Instead of the oppressed being freed once beaten, K. Rool's stays oppressed no matter what. I'm not saying Robotnik isn't krazy, but he hasn't been seen being krool to even the none once-living robots, yet at least. Maybe when he finally kracks. :lol:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Off topic, but I fear Eggman/Robotnik only because of his charachterization in Sonic the Satam. I mean cmo'n there's evil then there's robotnik evil.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's not about Visions. It's about his ability to warp reality. He doesn't need to be faster than anyone. They'll be blinked out of existence.

Edit: Not saying he can't be speedblitzed. But as powerful as he is, it won't matter. Neither Sonic, Pit, or Samus are going to scratch him.
Blinking takes approximately 300 milliseconds. Using t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is average velocity, it would only take Sonic 300 ms to cover 514 meters (1,686 ft.). In Samus' case, she'd be able to cover 205 m. (672.564 ft.) in close to 300 ms. Anyway, even if Shulk can warp reality, considering Sonic and Samus aren't part of his universe, how would he be able to remove them from existence? And more importantly, would Shulk do that?

No worries; we all make mistakes. :) However, we do see massive amounts of energy rushing toward him in at least the Light Speed Dash first appearance in Sonic Adventure during the charging sequence, so he could just be using infinite energy. Then again, he isn't affected by gravity, so it could also be him going massless. However, I don't quite see how either scenario would necessarily limit him to going in a straight line. In fact, the Light Speed Dash has been shown to go along curved ring trails[1], and the Light Speed Attack has him circling around opponents in some cases[2].

Sources:
1) The right angle made while light-dashing right after the spring in this video.
2) This (It's Shadow, but the same thing happens with Sonic before locking on to an enemy).
Well, light is affected by gravity. Everything is, it's just not noticeable. I know Sonic can turn when he uses the Light Speed Dash. All I'm saying is that if he's becoming massless, he would be traveling linearly. Even then, this wouldn't be an issue for Sonic because he could just travel at Mach 5 (low-end, considering he's "the hypersonic hedgehog") and when he gets close enough to his opponent, he could use Light Speed Dash. So unless anyone in the roster has nanosecond reaction time, they're not avoiding Sonic.

:4samus:: I'd appreciate it if you could provide some specific examples on her abilities, so we can compare strength/power rather than feats.
I'll give the specifics.

In super-heated regions like Norfair and Magmoor, Samus' armor takes damage, but there is no indication of her armor melting. I cannot say I know the temperature of the air in these regions, but what I can say is that without her armor, Samus would have burst into flames. If she came into contact with magma or lava unarmored, the water in her body would likely try to escape, and her skin would burst as steam left her. So her armor has some sort of protection against extreme heat, especially if she falls into magma or lava.

A fellow at Metroid Database proposed to me the idea that perhaps Samus' armor doesn't have the proper thermal insulation, which is why she takes damage in these extreme locations, but not to the point that she's bursting into flames. A calculation I did based on geothermal gradient, which states that temperature rises "25°C per km. of depth" gave me the result that once Samus enters Norfair in Super Metroid, the temperature is already at 378.66°C (713.588°F). That's hotter than your oven.

The low-end for magma and lava are 700°C (1,292°F), which harms Samus, unless she's wearing the Gravity Suit. We can see, even in a more three-dimensional media that is Metroid Prime that Samus' armor is not melting, so the melting point of her armor must be higher than 700°C (1,292°F). Powered armor would be compromised by the weight if it was made of steel. Aluminium would collapse and wouldn't be able to withstand the amounts of punishment from the falling and slamming into walls. I'm not saying Samus' armor would be made of titanium, since it could be an alien alloy, but titanium seems to be the best choice.

Mega Man, Iron Man, and Master Chief all wear titanium. Its weight-to-strength ratio is better than that of steel, but the issue with it is its cost. I don't think any of these three, even Samus included, would have a problem. Perhaps Samus' energy shielding is what absorbs the impact force. But in extreme heat, it seems Samus' life-support is what would be compromised.

Samus' speed allows her to run Mach 2. I say Mach 2 because I think it's the preferred low-end feat, not Mach 1.2. The Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission manuals tell us that the Speed Booster allows Samus to "dash at supersonic speeds". The word "speed" here is plural. If it said, "dash at supersonic speed", then I would go with Mach 1.2, since that's the low-end of supersonic speed, but considering it says "speeds", I work with Mach 2, or 686 m/s (2,252.8 ft/s).

You know, if Samus' body has to put up with the amount of force generated when she stops and her insides aren't turned into jelly, then taking Samus' mass (90 kg.) and the velocity she's traveling when using the kinetic energy equation, I end up with 21,176,820 kg m^2/s^2. If Samus stopped 0.3048 m., then she would experience 69,477,755.905511811023622 kg m/s^2 (15,619,294.31 lb.; 7,809.65 tons). According to Wolfram | Alpha, that's approximately 300 times the thrust of a single engine on a Boeing 747. And Samus isn't even affected.

I wish I could address more at the moment, but for now this will have to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Blinking takes approximately 300 milliseconds. Using t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is average velocity, it would only take Sonic 300 ms to cover 514 meters (1,686 ft.). In Samus' case, she'd be able to cover 205 m. (672.564 ft.) in close to 300 ms. Anyway, even if Shulk can warp reality, considering Sonic and Samus aren't part of his universe, how would he be able to remove them from existence? And more importantly, would Shulk do that?

Well, light is affected by gravity. Everything is, it's just not noticeable. I know Sonic can turn when he uses the Light Speed Dash. All I'm saying is that if he's becoming massless, he would be traveling linearly. Even then, this wouldn't be an issue for Sonic because he could just travel at Mach 5 (low-end, considering he's "the hypersonic hedgehog") and when he gets close enough to his opponent, he could use Light Speed Dash. So unless anyone in the roster has nanosecond reaction time, they're not avoiding Sonic.

I'll give the specifics.

In super-heated regions like Norfair and Magmoor, Samus' armor takes damage, but there is no indication of her armor melting. I cannot say I know the temperature of the air in these regions, but what I can say is that without her armor, Samus would have burst into flames. If she came into contact with magma or lava unarmored, the water in her body would likely try to escape, and her skin would burst as steam left her. So her armor has some sort of protection against extreme heat, especially if she falls into magma or lava.

A fellow at Metroid Database proposed to me the idea that perhaps Samus' armor doesn't have the proper thermal insulation, which is why she takes damage in these extreme locations, but not to the point that she's bursting into flames. A calculation I did based on geothermal gradient, which states that temperature rises "25°C per km. of depth" gave me the result that once Samus enters Norfair in Super Metroid, the temperature is already at 378.66°C (713.588°F). That's hotter than your oven.

The low-end for magma and lava are 700°C (1,292°F), which harms Samus, unless she's wearing the Gravity Suit. We can see, even in a more three-dimensional media that is Metroid Prime that Samus' armor is not melting, so the melting point of her armor must be higher than 700°C (1,292°F). Powered armor would be compromised by the weight if it was made of steel. Aluminium would collapse and wouldn't be able to withstand the amounts of punishment from the falling and slamming into walls. I'm not saying Samus' armor would be made of titanium, since it could be an alien alloy, but titanium seems to be the best choice.

Mega Man, Iron Man, and Master Chief all wear titanium. Its weight-to-strength ratio is better than that of steel, but the issue with it is its cost. I don't think any of these three, even Samus included, would have a problem. Perhaps Samus' energy shielding is what absorbs the impact force. But in extreme heat, it seems Samus' life-support is what would be compromised.

Samus' speed allows her to run Mach 2. I say Mach 2 because I think it's the preferred low-end feat, not Mach 1.2. The Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission manuals tell us that the Speed Booster allows Samus to "dash at supersonic speeds". The word "speed" here is plural. If it said, "dash at supersonic speed", then I would go with Mach 1.2, since that's the low-end of supersonic speed, but considering it says "speeds", I work with Mach 2, or 686 m/s (2,252.8 ft/s).

You know, if Samus' body has to put up with the amount of force generated when she stops and her insides aren't turned into jelly, then taking Samus' mass (90 kg.) and the velocity she's traveling when using the kinetic energy equation, I end up with 21,176,820 kg m^2/s^2. If Samus stopped 0.3048 m., then she would experience 69,477,755.905511811023622 kg m/s^2 (15,619,294.31 lb.; 7,809.65 tons). According to Wolfram | Alpha, that's approximately 300 times the thrust of a single engine on a Boeing 747. And Samus isn't even affected.

I liked that blinking part. That's my kind of humor, lol. Also, you bring up an interesting point in that Shulk has control over his universe (but then again, there's that crossover web and all suggesting that every game is part of the same universe, so... yeah, that might pose a problem).

I never said light wasn't affected by gravity; I said that in Sonic games, while using the Light Speed Dash, Sonic isn't affected by gravity (or at least not in a way that would really affect gameplay or anything), since he doesn't fall when using it in midair. Also, I couldn't find any sources for massless objects inherently not being able to change direction; could you link me to one? Not saying you're wrong or anything; I'm just interested in the subject. But yeah, that is a solid workaround. Or he could just travel linearly the whole way; I don't think anyone would really be able to dodge it either way.

Yeah, that's some serious shock/heat absorption. However, "speeds" plural doesn't mean it's that high necessarily; it just means that she can change her speed to at least two different speeds, both of which are above the speed of sound (for all we know, that could mean she can change between one and two mph above Mach 1 :p).

EDIT: By the way, that thread's still up, if anyone wants to check out the new format and all. :)

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
I was going to mention this, but I thought it was pretty obvious -- Sonic's Lightspeed Dash does not move at light speed. You can clearly SEE him close the distance. Even at his fastest in Unleashed, the developers mentioned that he caps out around 300-ish MPH in-game relative to the world. The only time sonic is ever shown to be moving faster is during TV shows or cutscenes, which are usually all very different from the worlds in-game and the worlds of eachother. It doesn't make much sense for Super Sonic to go anywhere even marginally close to the speed of light. 2x his regular speed would recreate everything he's ever done in the form.

This is why i said gauging Sonic's abilities outside of in-game abilities is pretty useless, because of how horribly inconsistent he's been as a character. It's a simple case of the writers not really putting much thought into stuff.

Case in point, if Sonic was able to go even 1% the speed of light, he'd be traveling over 6,000,000 MPH. If it was ever mentioned that he could approach luminal speed then im sure the developers simply weren't aware of the sheer scale they were referring to.

This is nice.

The thing about Samus' armor though is that it's almost 100% definitely not composed of earth elements or compounds. The new worlds commonly seem to have exotic compounds, the result of organic or even more exotic matter (Phazon), or simply manufactured by whatever resident aliens lived there (or pirated/enhanced technology by the Space Pirates). The Scan Visor usually picks these up and identifies them, if they can be identified. The ability for her to survive in high temperature, be submerged in lava, and survive impacts is likely the effect of some field her suit is able to put up, or some combining physical effects her armor is able to generate.

A great example is Samus' Morph Ball. It's unique even among space pirate and federation technology, which means whatever the technology is, it's too advanced (or intricate) of an effect for them to replicate. In fact, in Metroid Prime there's a Space Pirate log of their research team trying to reverse-engineer it and failing miserbly.

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in threecycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

When you factor in the level of technology she's working with, or even technologies even slightly less or equal to hers (Space Pirate, Federation, Luminoth, ect), then stuff like surviving impacts or high temperatures isn't all that farfetched.

This is why i placed her above everyone else in the game. The world she's in is just way more advanced and intelligent than anyone elses. You know what they say -- "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I was going to mention this, but I thought it was pretty obvious -- Sonic's Lightspeed Dash does not move at light speed. You can clearly SEE him close the distance. Even at his fastest in Unleashed, the developers mentioned that he caps out around 300-ish MPH in-game relative to the world. The only time sonic is ever shown to be moving faster is during TV shows or cutscenes, which are usually all very different from the worlds in-game and the worlds of eachother. It doesn't make much sense for Super Sonic to go anywhere even marginally close to the speed of light. 2x his regular speed would recreate everything he's ever done in the form.

This is why i said gauging Sonic's abilities outside of in-game abilities is pretty useless, because of how horribly inconsistent he's been as a character. It's a simple case of the writers not really putting much thought into stuff.

Case in point, if Sonic was able to go even 1% the speed of light, he'd be traveling over 6,000,000 MPH. If it was ever mentioned that he could approach luminal speed then im sure the developers simply weren't aware of the sheer scale they were referring to.
First off, it never said "MPH." It said "SPD," which we don't know the value of other than 300 or so is the Light Speed Dash and Sonic caps out at a few thousand or so. Second, if the game's canon says it happens, it happens. Canonically, the Light Speed Dash travels at the speed of light. We don't see Sonic actually move that fast in gameplay because anything travelling at the speed of light is extremely hard, if not impossible, to see, so the developers likely slowed it down so players could see where they were going, AKA gameplay-story segregation. Thirdly, while I can agree that the TV shows/comics are likely a different canon, cutscenes are part of a game. They are intertwined with the gameplay. If a cutscene shows the character riding a vehicle to the next level, chances are you'll be in that next level. Gameplay is the part of the game where you do things. Cutscenes are the part of a game where the game tells you why you're doing said things.

So by that logic, Samus's ship should be totally discounted, since you never play as it, just see it in cutscenes, correct? In fact, Samus is inconsistent as well, shown my the multiple-jump equipment inconsistencies I pointed out in a previous post.

The developers were aware of the scale; they just had to tone it down in gameplay due to human/technological limits.
This is nice.

The thing about Samus' armor though is that it's almost 100% definitely not composed of earth elements or compounds. The new worlds commonly seem to have exotic compounds, the result of organic or even more exotic matter (Phazon), or simply manufactured by whatever resident aliens lived there (or pirated/enhanced technology by the Space Pirates). The Scan Visor usually picks these up and identifies them, if they can be identified. The ability for her to survive in high temperature, be submerged in lava, and survive impacts is likely the effect of some field her suit is able to put up, or some combining physical effects her armor is able to generate.

A great example is Samus' Morph Ball. It's unique even among space pirate and federation technology, which means whatever the technology is, it's too advanced (or intricate) of an effect for them to replicate. In fact, in Metroid Prime there's a Space Pirate log of their research team trying to reverse-engineer it and failing miserbly.

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in threecycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

When you factor in the level of technology she's working with, or even technologies even slightly less or equal to hers (Space Pirate, Federation, Luminoth, ect), then stuff like surviving impacts or high temperatures isn't all that farfetched.

This is why i placed her above everyone else in the game. The world she's in is just way more advanced and intelligent than anyone elses. You know what they say -- "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Have you seen the Game Theory episode on the Morph Ball? It essentially amounts to a ball that Samus encases herself in when she starts somersaulting, and crawling would be better anyway (the reason I bring up Game Theory after discounting it as evidence before is because the one I discounted was based off of non-canon sources and the creator later admitted it wasn't quite solid, while this one is based off of the canon Metroid games and uses more solid proof). You can even see this in the cutscene you get upon obtaining it in one of the Prime games (I think it was Prime 1, IIRC).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Magic like :4bowser:, :4ganondorf:, :4link:, :4ness:, :4palutena:, :4pit:, :4robinm:, :rosalina:, :4shulk:, :4tlink:, and :4zelda: have access to? :p

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
So are we gonna talk about sonic using chaos control or are the emeralds out of range for this discussion?

"In Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic used Chaos Control to save himself from certain death, most notably with a fake Chaos Emerald, which had the same properties as an actual Emerald, although it was weaker. Also, when playing the final boss of the Dark Story, battling Sonic for the second time, he will use Chaos Control to catch up with Shadow if falling behind or forced off the platform. Sonic's again used Chaos Control Sonic the Hedgehog(2006) game, where he uses Chaos Control together with Shadow, and later with Silver the Hedgehog, in order to create warps in time. While a powerful technique, Sonic, however, seem reluctant to use it too often, as the only times he's ever used it were in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)."

...yes i copied it from somewhere else...im terrible.

Sonic adventure 2, is my favorite btw....go tails :D

Last edited:

Ephemiel

Smash Cadet
I would say Link is up there with characters like Shulk as well. Link's items/swords/shields/tunics give him a HUGE advantage over anyone, and if we allow him to have any item he wants, he can simply use Chateau Romani milk to have infinite magic and use the Magic Armor [Gamecube Wind Waker version since HD remake version uses rupees and not magic] to become completely invulnerable or use his Fierce Diety Mask.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I liked that blinking part. That's my kind of humor, lol. Also, you bring up an interesting point in that Shulk has control over his universe (but then again, there's that crossover web and all suggesting that every game is part of the same universe, so... yeah, that might pose a problem).
Every game, no, every fiction may derive from our universe, but it doesn't mean they're all from the same universe. Every universe in fiction behaves differently from others, especially our own universe. But let's say ether is what gives everyone in Xenoblade, life. We cannot impose this on other characters who do not live off ether. To do that would be to impose onto another character what isn't there. I'll put it another way. If a character like Kratos could take someone's soul with Hades' Claws, and if a character from another universe has no concept or thing called "soul", then we cannot impose a soul onto this character, just so Kratos can use Hades' Claws. Otherwise, why not impose no soul on Kratos?

I never said light wasn't affected by gravity; I said that in Sonic games, while using the Light Speed Dash, Sonic isn't affected by gravity (or at least not in a way that would really affect gameplay or anything), since he doesn't fall when using it in midair. Also, I couldn't find any sources for massless objects inherently not being able to change direction; could you link me to one? Not saying you're wrong or anything; I'm just interested in the subject. But yeah, that is a solid workaround. Or he could just travel linearly the whole way; I don't think anyone would really be able to dodge it either way.
Think about photons. They're massless particles. If you fire a laser, it travels in a line. It never bends unless a black hole's gravity affects it, or if it reflects off a polished surface. This is where I get the idea that massless particles travel linearly. Also, photons and linear momentum.

Yeah, that's some serious shock/heat absorption. However, "speeds" plural doesn't mean it's that high necessarily; it just means that she can change her speed to at least two different speeds, both of which are above the speed of sound (for all we know, that could mean she can change between one and two mph above Mach 1 :p).

EDIT: By the way, that thread's still up, if anyone wants to check out the new format and all. :)
It clearly says "dash at supersonic speeds". If it meant that she can change her speed to two different speeds, it would read, "dash up to supersonic speed", suggesting that Samus can run anywhere from 1 m/s up to 411.6 m/s.

I personally don't think Samus is experiencing that much force when she makes a complete stop. That's what physics would say, but for all I know, the inner workings of her armor absorb the acceleration (sudden change in velocity). I don't know how that would protect her organs, though. But I thought it was worth noting.

There's a quote where Sonic is referred to as "the hypersonic hedgehog", meaning the low-end would be that he can travel Mach 5. In-game data is useful, but it's not always accurate. It's worth considering because of the visual data, but no matter what game is presented, cut-scenes, texts, game play is bound to contradict each other. Taking visual data, Sonic's Light Speed Dash is pretty brief.

This is nice.

Yes, but iron, steel, sandstone, cordite, anti-matter, dark matter, all things in our universe, exist in the Metroidverse. Kraid's claws can shred iron, War Wasps have stingers capable of shearing steel, Ingstorms can corrode steel, and Samus can destroy sandstone with her bombs and cordite with her super missiles. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I'm not saying Samus' armor is titanium, only that it would be preferable among the metals we know of.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I would say Link is up there with characters like Shulk as well. Link's items/swords/shields/tunics give him a HUGE advantage over anyone, and if we allow him to have any item he wants, he can simply use Chateau Romani milk to have infinite magic and use the Magic Armor [Gamecube Wind Waker version since HD remake version uses rupees and not magic] to become completely invulnerable or use his Fierce Diety Mask.
Comic vine (though briefly) covered this speed difference is way too huge. Though against samus....maybe? idk the limit of their invulnerability....

Side note: Comic vine did a Samus vs Sonic already. Their conclusion.....settle it in smash lol

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Every game, no, every fiction may derive from our universe, but it doesn't mean they're all from the same universe. Every universe in fiction behaves differently from others, especially our own universe. But let's say ether is what gives everyone in Xenoblade, life. We cannot impose this on other characters who do not live off ether. To do that would be to impose onto another character what isn't there. I'll put it another way. If a character like Kratos could take someone's soul with Hades' Claws, and if a character from another universe has no concept or thing called "soul", then we cannot impose a soul onto this character, just so Kratos can use Hades' Claws. Otherwise, why not impose no soul on Kratos?

Think about photons. They're massless particles. If you fire a laser, it travels in a line. It never bends unless a black hole's gravity affects it, or if it reflects off a polished surface. This is where I get the idea that massless particles travel linearly. Also, photons and linear momentum.

It clearly says "dash at supersonic speeds". If it meant that she can change her speed to two different speeds, it would read, "dash up to supersonic speed", suggesting that Samus can run anywhere from 1 m/s up to 411.6 m/s.

I personally don't think Samus is experiencing that much force when she makes a complete stop. That's what physics would say, but for all I know, the inner workings of her armor absorb the acceleration (sudden change in velocity). I don't know how that would protect her organs, though. But I thought it was worth noting.
I don't mean that they're the same because they derive from our universe; I mean they could be the same because of all the cameos/crossovers between series. Crossover is a good documentation of some of these; I recommend giving it a watch.

Well, lasers don't have anything making them turn, except for gravity or polished surfaces. For Sonic, the thing making him turn (in place of gravity/polished surfaces) is the homing nature of the attack.

"Supersonic speeds" means multiple speeds above the speed of sound. One, two and three miles per hour above the speed of sound are multiple speeds above the speed of sound. Therefore, Samus "dashing at supersonic speeds" doesn't necessarily mean she's travelling at Mach 2, but that she can travel at multiple speeds above Mach 1.

Maybe Samus's Chozo training/DNA/whatnot has something to do with it? Or maybe we're just looking way too deep into this :p

Top Bottom