• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just because I own a computer doesn't mean I know how to program.

Yeah, but didn't Peach return the vibe scepter?
Not that, in the ending, she whacks Bowser into the distance with her umbrella of all things, wielding Perry like a home run bat.

Plus, Super Paper Mario and 3D World put her on at LEAST equal standing to Mario and Luigi. And she had natural magic powers in Super Mario RPG, IIRC.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer should be top tier, if he has the National Dex. He literally has the GOD of the Pokemon Universe on his side, he can control space and time, make blinding lights, earthquakes, fire...oh yeah he also can have Mewtwo on his team...

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Not that, in the ending, she whacks Bowser into the distance with her umbrella of all things, wielding Perry like a home run bat.

Plus, Super Paper Mario and 3D World put her on at LEAST equal standing to Mario and Luigi. And she had natural magic powers in Super Mario RPG, IIRC.
That is a good point. Wii Fit Trainer should still be higher imo Theoretically she can do hundreds of push-ups without breaking a sweat.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Now, if you removed all forms of instant-kill/disabling/godmodes...

Surely Ike/little mac/ness and sawnik would be top? If not top then close, due to Samus and Kirby.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Okay, lowered Villager. Also rose Peach and WFT, and added Sandbag, since I forgot to the first time.
Tier 1 (Godlike):
Sandbag
:ganondorf:
:4palutena:
:sonic:
:kirby2:
:pt:
:marth:
:rosalina:
Shulk
Tier 2 (Very Powerful):
:mewtwopm:
:samus2:
:4megaman:
:ness2:
Tier 3 (Pretty Strong):
:4pit:
:4metaknight:
:4luigi:
:4mario:
:4peach:
:link2:/:toonlink:
:bowser2:
:lucas:
:4littlemac:
:4dk:
:zelda:
:warioc:
:4lucario:
Tier 4 (Mid-Tier):
:4robinm:
:ike:
:snake:
:4zss:
:fox:
:falcon:
:roypm:
:falco:
:dedede:
:wolf:
:4lucina:
:sheik:
:younglinkmelee:
:4charizard:
:pikachu2:
:diddy:
:4yoshi:
:4greninja:
:4wiifit:
:4mii:
Tier 5 (Super Weak):
:4pacman:
:popo:
:drmario:
:jigglypuff:
:pichumelee:
:4villager:
:gw:
:rob:
:olimar:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Now, if you removed all forms of instant-kill/disabling/godmodes...

Surely Ike/little mac/ness and sawnik would be top? If not top then close, due to Samus and Kirby.
I think under those (more fair in my opinion) rules the sandbag wins. Not technically a character though.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Ganon is leaps and bounds ahead as far as power. Bowser is pretty strong depending on which incarnation as well. After all, he has created galaxies and survived being thrown into the sun...

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I personally don't think Olimar should be dead last on the tier list; near the bottom, yes, but I feel he could beat some characters, notably Pikachu, Pichu, Jiggs, Wii Fit Trainer, and possibly Dedede and Villager. First three are self explanatory; they are similar size to some PNF 404 beasts. Also, Yellow Pikmin and Olimar's suit are immune to electricity, so there's that. Wii Fit Trainer probably isn't used to fighting something so small (like most anyone else) and doesn't have many real options. Stomping? Say hello to Rock Pikmin. He'd probably aim for the Achilles Tendon or hobble her ankles to start with, then when she's down, send Pikmin to attack her orifices until she's dead.

The reason I say maybe for Villager is that he's experienced in catching bugs with his net (which sounds a lot more silly as I type this). For Dedede, since Kirby is 8" tall, he's 2' 6" at most. Also, Kirby Mass Effect Attack shows he could easily be overwhelmed by 80+ Pikmin (assuming 8 Pikmin = 1 Kirby). On the other hand, his Super Dedede Hammer can shoot missiles, and EVERY Pikmin is weak against explosions, so that kinda balances things out.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
I made a list way back when
S tier
:ganondorfmelee:
A tier.

:ness:
:samusmelee:
:kirbymelee:
:mario2:
:luigi2:
Rockman
:metaknight:

B tier

:zeldamelee:
:link2:
Toon link

:pit:
:falcomelee:
C tier
:marthmelee:
:roymelee:

:pikachumelee:
:sheikmelee:
WIi fit trainer
:jigglypuffmelee:
:zerosuitsamus:
D tier
:icsmelee:
Villager
:gawmelee:

Huh... I'm wondering why young link is put right where Link and Tink are at. iirc, Young Link cannot use the master sword and is transported through time to be Link just so that he is the appropriate age to use it?

Edit : He also can't use a bow in his game but uhh... melee's weird.

Last edited:

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
Actually though, Young Link is the only Link who beats his villain with his own power rather than some weird dumb "chosen one" "Ganondorf-is-invincible-to-everything-except-for-the-Master-Sword" business. Not to mention the Fierce Deity mask, and the fact that the Gilded Sword in Majora's Mask is stronger than the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time, as in it straight-up does more damage (don't forget the Great Fairy Sword either). I'd definitely place him much higher, at the very least a spot or two above the other two Links.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I just want to say that Mario is more powerful than Luigi. Luigi can jump higher, but in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario is stronger and faster than Luigi is where as Luigi has more hit points (durability).

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Currently going thru making a tier list, and it's taking a long time due to a lot of thought being put into it, but I've made a small sampling of what I have devised definitely:

:4wiifit:>:4villager:>:jigglypuff:>:pichumelee:>:rob:

What I am doing is making a chart of the 51 official playable characters in the series (Dr Mario omitted, 3 different Links: OOT/MM, TP, and WW/PH, each relegated to items from those games)

Also some blanket rules I'm using:
-No healing/magic restoring items unless they have a function other than just healing (eg. Falchion)
-Vehicles can only be used if the opposition has vehicle as well (exceptions including but not limited to Meta Knight using the Halberd, Pit using the GST, Rosalina using the Comet Observatory, Fox/Falco using the entire Great Fox, etc)
-Power ups/items can only be used once each (Fire Flower, Power Pellets, Bag of Dragonite, Mega Lazer, etc) or dependent on ammo/magic (bombs, Metal Blade, missiles, PK Love, etc)
-Sending opponents away DOES NOT count as victory (eg. Mewtwo erasing Ganon's memory then warping him to Oklahoma)
-Pokémon not owned by Pokémon Trainer are wild, no ev's, no items (unless held in wild eg. Light Ball), and can only use learned moves and egg moves (no TM, HM, breeder)
-Eating challenger for OHKO (Kirby, Dedede, Yoshi) is prohibited
-No assistance from other beings (Wisps, party members, summons) sans Ice Climbers, Olimar, Rosalina, Pokémon Trainer, etc

This might take awhile, but are there any objections so far?

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Okay, lowered Villager. Also rose Peach and WFT, and added Sandbag, since I forgot to the first time.
Tier 1 (Godlike):
Sandbag
:ganondorf:
:4palutena:
:kirby2:
:marth:
Shulk
Tier 2 (Very Powerful):
:samus2:
:4megaman:
:ness2:
Tier 3 (Pretty Strong):
:4pit:
:4metaknight:
:4luigi:
:4mario:
:4peach:
:link2:/:toonlink:
:4littlemac:
:4dk:
:zelda:
:4lucario:
Tier 4 (Mid-Tier):
:4robinm:
:4zss:
:falcon:
:roypm:
:falco:
:4lucina:
:sheik:
:4charizard:
:pikachu2:
:diddy:
:4yoshi:
:4greninja:
:4wiifit:
:4mii:
Tier 5 (Super Weak):
:4pacman:
:popo:
:jigglypuff:
:4villager:
:gw:
:olimar:
Best tier list I have seen in a while. It's best to just put them in ranks without any defined spot.

Little_GotenSRK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Little_Goten
3DS FC
1048-9697-8273
Even if you don't count the comic books (where he is absolutely busted), Super Sonic defeated a creature that can eat time and space.

Megaman can freeze time.

Rosalina created the universe

Mario defeated the sun

Kirby regularly beats people who can bend reality.

If I were gonna tier things, it would be Rosalina > Kirby > Sonic as the most powerful ones.

Admittedly, I haven't played everything, so I'll stop there.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Currently going thru making a tier list, and it's taking a long time due to a lot of thought being put into it, but I've made a small sampling of what I have devised definitely:

:4wiifit:>:4villager:>:jigglypuff:>:pichumelee:>:rob:

What I am doing is making a chart of the 51 official playable characters in the series (Dr Mario omitted, 3 different Links: OOT/MM, TP, and WW/PH, each relegated to items from those games)

Also some blanket rules I'm using:
-No healing/magic restoring items unless they have a function other than just healing (eg. Falchion)
-Vehicles can only be used if the opposition has vehicle as well (exceptions including but not limited to Meta Knight using the Halberd, Pit using the GST, Rosalina using the Comet Observatory, Fox/Falco using the entire Great Fox, etc)
-Power ups/items can only be used once each (Fire Flower, Power Pellets, Bag of Dragonite, Mega Lazer, etc) or dependent on ammo/magic (bombs, Metal Blade, missiles, PK Love, etc)
-Sending opponents away DOES NOT count as victory (eg. Mewtwo erasing Ganon's memory then warping him to Oklahoma)
-Pokémon not owned by Pokémon Trainer are wild, no ev's, no items (unless held in wild eg. Light Ball), and can only use learned moves and egg moves (no TM, HM, breeder)
-Eating challenger for OHKO (Kirby, Dedede, Yoshi) is prohibited
-No assistance from other beings (Wisps, party members, summons) sans Ice Climbers, Olimar, Rosalina, Pokémon Trainer, etc

This might take awhile, but are there any objections so far?
About the eating thing, why not? Kirby runs on eating, it's his signature technique. If you take that away, Kirby drops down a lot.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
About the eating thing, why not? Kirby runs on eating, it's his signature technique. If you take that away, Kirby drops down a lot.
Kirby is basically as he is in Squeak Squad; he can hold up to 5 normal abilities in his stomach. He is also allowed to come in holding one of any ability (discounting Super Abilities, Hypernova, and Master, so he can come in holding Star Rod or Crystal Gun without Ribbon for example). Even then, I said he can't eat opponents; he can eat their projectiles to possibly gain an ability or spit it back at them (ex. Samus drops Power Bomb, Kirby eats it, he either spits it back at her or eats it to get crash ability). He's kind of balanced out by the fact that he's 8 inches tall tho.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
DK didn't really looked like he took that fight even remotely seriously though.
I wouldn't put Mac ABOVE DK, but the fact that he can take Punches from Donkey Kong and was able to knock him out puts him above "peak athletic and trained real world human."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't put Mac ABOVE DK, but the fact that he can take Punches from Donkey Kong and was able to knock him out puts him above "peak athletic and trained real world human."
True. But I still think that DK, and even Diddy would take him in a more serious fight.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
True. But I still think that DK, and even Diddy would take him in a more serious fight.
I would probably put Mac in the same bracket as Diddy, but DK would definitely be a notch or two above both.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think Diddy has a great advantage of equipment over Little Mac, making the fight much easier for him. But, Diddy's also a God Tier dodge tank. Just watch the final battle against Kaptain K.Rool in DKC2. Whoever dodges so many canonballs definitely knows how to dodge a punch or sword slash or two.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Even if you don't count the comic books (where he is absolutely busted), Super Sonic defeated a creature that can eat time and space.

Megaman can freeze time.

Rosalina created the universe

Mario defeated the sun

Kirby regularly beats people who can bend reality.

If I were gonna tier things, it would be Rosalina > Kirby > Sonic as the most powerful ones.

Admittedly, I haven't played everything, so I'll stop there.
Ganon can only be hurt by the master sword. Additionally, he has massive power and can bring about the apocalypse. No matter how fast or powerful the others' attacks are, Ganon won't be affected.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganon can only be hurt by the master sword. Additionally, he has massive power and can bring about the apocalypse. No matter how fast or powerful the others' attacks are, Ganon won't be affected.
He can be stunned by other's attacks however. And I doubt that other 'godly' weapons as Marth's Falchion, Ike's Ragnell, Kirby's.. stuff, and Pit's... stuff wouldn't damage Ganondorf at all.

Still think that Ike could take Ganon on.

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
He can be stunned by other's attacks however. And I doubt that other 'godly' weapons as Marth's Falchion, Ike's Ragnell, Kirby's.. stuff, and Pit's... stuff wouldn't damage Ganondorf at all.

Still think that Ike could take Ganon on.
In Ocarina of Time you can deflect Ganondorf's attacks with a bottle, and I'm pretty sure you can use a fishing rod in some way in Twilight Princess. You can also damage Ganon with any of your attacks in OoT, including Deku Nuts, bombs, the hookshot, and regular arrows. You can't kill him without the Master Sword, though, as demonstrated by Toon Link.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Psychics could potentially break every bone in Ganondorf's body with their powers. He'd be unable to fight, but wouldn't be dead. How does that count?

Am pretty sure that Yune's blessings would be enough to make sure Ike could defeat Ganondorf. If Ike could take on the Goddess Ashera with it, am sure he could be able to hurt Ganondorf as well.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Psychics could potentially break every bone in Ganondorf's body with their powers. He'd be unable to fight, but wouldn't be dead. How does that count?

Am pretty sure that Yune's blessings would be enough to make sure Ike could defeat Ganondorf. If Ike could take on the Goddess Ashera with it, am sure he could be able to hurt Ganondorf as well.
I do believe that Ike's ridiculous speed advantage would factor into his fights too.
Come on, dude's faster than dragon riders.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm going to call this out because this point has always bugged me when people use it as a testament to Ganondorf's power:

Ganondorf being only vulnerable to the Master Sword only applies within Hyrule/the Zelda world. Because out of all of the things Hyrulians tried against him, it's the only thing they found to work.

However, Hyrulians didn't have modern technology. Hyrulians didn't have Chaos Emeralds. Hyrulians didn't have a space goddess or a "Monado Booooooy" who can change reality itself (therefore meaning Rosalina and Shulk could basically strip Ganondorf of this privilege even if it was absolute and not simply something that hasn't been experimented with enough - though I think even before reaching his god-like power, Shulk would still stand a chance since the Monado seems much more powerful and versatile than the Master Sword). Hyrulians didn't have ability stealing pink puff balls.

The fact that, in the Zelda world, Ganondorf could only be defeated using the Master Sword just means it's the only thing the Hyrulians had at their disposal that worked. And the fact that only Link could do it just means he was the strongest warrior at their disposal. If we bring in elements outside of Zelda canon, things get trickier for Ganondorf, since he's dealing with people who have access to powers/tools like the Master Sword, if not more powerful than the Master Sword (Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds, Pit and the Great Sacred Treasure, and Palutena and her holy powers of light), or people who could strip him of his absolute, arbitrary invincibility to all but the Master Sword, even if he did have it (Rosalina, and Shulk when he's at god-like status).

I just really dislike this argument, since it's a cop out way of saying "Ganondorf is the best" when it really means very little in hindsight.

I still reckon Ganondorf is very powerful and would definitely be in the top half, but any character that is always portrayed as a god in their main games (Palutena and Rosalina), or any character that has attained power rivaling a god (Sonic, Pit, Kirby, Shulk) has at least an equal shot against Ganondorf. And I still think mortals like Snake would have a chance too.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I'm going to call this out because this point has always bugged me when people use it as a testament to Ganondorf's power:

Ganondorf being only vulnerable to the Master Sword only applies within Hyrule/the Zelda world. Because out of all of the things Hyrulians tried against him, it's the only thing they found to work.

However, Hyrulians didn't have modern technology. Hyrulians didn't have Chaos Emeralds. Hyrulians didn't have a space goddess or a "Monado Booooooy" who can change reality itself (therefore meaning Rosalina and Shulk could basically strip Ganondorf of this privilege even if it was absolute and not simply something that hasn't been experimented with enough - though I think even before reaching his god-like power, Shulk would still stand a chance since the Monado seems much more powerful and versatile than the Master Sword). Hyrulians didn't have ability stealing pink puff balls.

The fact that, in the Zelda world, Ganondorf could only be defeated using the Master Sword just means it's the only thing the Hyrulians had at their disposal that worked. And the fact that only Link could do it just means he was the strongest warrior at their disposal. If we bring in elements outside of Zelda canon, things get trickier for Ganondorf, since he's dealing with people who have access to powers/tools like the Master Sword, if not more powerful than the Master Sword (Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds, Pit and the Great Sacred Treasure, and Palutena and her holy powers of light), or people who could strip him of his absolute, arbitrary invincibility to all but the Master Sword, even if he did have it (Rosalina, and Shulk when he's at god-like status).

I just really dislike this argument, since it's a cop out way of saying "Ganondorf is the best" when it really means very little in hindsight.

I still reckon Ganondorf is very powerful and would definitely be in the top half, but any character that is always portrayed as a god in their main games (Palutena and Rosalina), or any character that has attained power rivaling a god (Sonic, Pit, Kirby, Shulk) has at least an equal shot against Ganondorf. And I still think mortals like Snake would have a chance too.
Again, those characters don't have the master sword. You also must remember that ganondorf has the power of the gods. Honestly, his immense strength would win any battle as he simply waits out faster opponents. Example: sonic uses his chaos emeralds and attacks ganondorf. Ganondorf is blasted around, but doesn't sustain any damage. Eventually, sonics power is exhausted and Ganon defeats him. The reason Ganon can only be damaged by that sword is the master sword has the power of the gods of his world. Powers from other realms would do nothing.

EDIT: this is why I am often frustrated by "canon" battles. Characters like ganondorf or Ichigo have ludicrous advantages due to plot devices in their respective series.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Powers from other realms would do nothing.
Again, like my entire last post pointed out, this isn't a claim you can make, since Ganondorf has never faced power or technology from the other Nintendo worlds, in canon. What you are saying is no different to saying "I can totally win a race against Usain Bolt even though I've never practiced running, nor have I researched his physical feats".

Top Bottom