• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just read up on this big secret people have been talking about regarding Shulk (I'll probably forget, or it'll be spoiled in Smash anyway), and I'm still not impressed. Sounds like he had a lot of help. And it wasn't quite to the level of what Rosalina did as it seemed bound to certain criteria, where that doesn't appear to be the case with Rosalina.

I really can't say anyone but Shulk. I mean, I'd tell you why, but there's massive spoilers.

As for Rosalina, no, she can't just spontaneously reset the universe whenever she wants and, even if she could, she wouldn't. She's trying to protect the current galaxy. It would go against her character.

Edit: JRPG characters just tend to get ridiculously overpowered in the end-game. That's just how they roll.
She wouldn't under normal circumstances, but we're not taking that into consideration here. From what I gather, this topic is just "who would win a fight?".

If Shulk: Kinda-God Tier Edition were just fighting Rosalina for whatever reason, she more than has the power to deal with him, even without resetting the universe. And even doing that is something she's willing to do if it's really the only option to continue all life, which she did in Galaxy. And if you believe she had no input in this and it was just the Lumas - keep in mind that Rosalina, her original home (something she seemingly preserved from a long gone universe - in the Storybook, her home is part of a bigger planet with a castle nearby, but in the present time in Galaxy, it resides on a tiny planet), the Comet Observatory, and Mario and friends are the ONLY constants after the universe reboot - she can control what changes and what doesn't. Everything else changed in some way, such as different planets and galaxies coming into existence, and things being where they wouldn't be in the original universe, like the Mushroom Kingdom gaining a lot of new inhabitants.

Like I said before, her power has no limit from what we know. She can reset universes, and has stated to have done so multiple times (when she explains to Mario what is happening in the ending of Galaxy, she is clearly speaking as one who has gone through the process before). And I don't think it's just a coincidence that Rosalina and everything she holds dear are the only constants in these reboots. She's obviously in control of it.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just read up on this big secret people have been talking about regarding Shulk (I'll probably forget, or it'll be spoiled in Smash anyway), and I'm still not impressed. Sounds like he had a lot of help. And it wasn't quite to the level of what Rosalina did as it seemed bound to certain criteria, where that doesn't appear to be the case with Rosalina.

She wouldn't under normal circumstances, but we're not taking that into consideration here. From what I gather, this topic is just "who would win a fight?".

If Shulk: Kinda-God Tier Edition were just fighting Rosalina for whatever reason, she more than has the power to deal with him, even without resetting the universe. And even doing that is something she's willing to do if it's really the only option to continue all life, which she did in Galaxy. And if you believe she had no input in this and it was just the Lumas - keep in mind that Rosalina, her original home (something she seemingly preserved from a long gone universe - in the Storybook, her home is part of a bigger planet with a castle nearby, but in the present time in Galaxy, it resides on a tiny planet), the Comet Observatory, and Mario and friends are the ONLY constants after the universe reboot - she can control what changes and what doesn't. Everything else changed in some way, such as different planets and galaxies coming into existence, and things being where they wouldn't be in the original universe, like the Mushroom Kingdom gaining a lot of new inhabitants.

Like I said before, her power has no limit from what we know. She can reset universes, and has stated to have done so multiple times (when she explains to Mario what is happening in the ending of Galaxy, she is clearly speaking as one who has gone through the process before). And I don't think it's just a coincidence that Rosalina and everything she holds dear are the only constants in these reboots. She's obviously in control of it.
I don't know how to respond to this without spoiling all of Xenoblade.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
The strongest ones are probably :rosalina::4palutena::ganondorf:*Shulk*:ness2::4samus:

Palutena is a goddess, so.
Ganondorf can't be defeated except by Link
Shulk... well, Xenoblade explains that
Rosalina is kind of a goddess, too
Ness has defeated WILD DOGS
Samus' suit is pretty cool.

I'd say Link, Lucas, Zelda, and Mewtwo are all pretty high up there too.

Canonically weakest would probably be Jigglypuff, Peach, and Villager. Then there's the people who are strong fighters but don't have any particular magical abilities on their side, who I'd rank around the same level. Ala ZSS, Marth, Ike, Lucina, etc...

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

*sigh*

I guess you don't quite understand

Shulk became a god. The Monado III, his true Monado, allows him to basically do whatever the hell he wants. That's what Alvis says about it. It is literally unlimited. And Shulk reset the universe too. We have no knowledge of Shulk's limits either. Besides, if this were to be real one-on-one fight, Shulk could see what she was going to do first. And with his skills he would have enough time to react because they boost the amount of time he has to react after seeing a vision. If this ever even got into close combat, Shulk's sword, which kills gods, would beat her. We've never seen her fight in Galaxy, so her canonical physical strength and endurance are unknown. And surviving resetting the universe doesn't count. Shulk also changed the universe rather than straight up resetting it because he has unlimited power.

Look, can't we just agree this would be a draw? At long range, Rosalin has a decent chance and at close range, Shulk could win.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know how to respond to this without spoiling all of Xenoblade.
I already know what you are referring to and it still doesn't impress me, like I said.

I now know what Shulk did but it is in no way comparable to Rosalina. In fact, it sounds almost exactly like what Lightning did in the ending of Lightning Returns, and while that's a big feat, it isn't the same as Rosalina.

To put this into better context, what Shulk did is the result of a convoluted 100 hour JRPG plot and it's still something he only did that one time.

Rosalina did the same thing as Shulk, but to a more advanced extent (she can pick and choose what can be constant across all universes), and was able to slip in "oh btw I've done this before, no biggie, all in a day's work". And it was all a process fit into a Mario platformer.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Okay, now for (what I assume to be) a big question: Samus or Shulk? For those who have watched this thread for awhile, you know how strong she is established to be.
I need to go back to review what everyones opinion on Samus is in this thread, but it likely boils down to when in the game you pull Shulk from. Monado Shield, Armor, and Speed have proved to be very effective defensive options against tech based foes, especially when coupled with his future-sight.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We've never seen her fight in Galaxy, so her canonical physical strength and endurance are unknown. And suriving resetting the universe doesn't count. Shulk also changed the universe rather than straight up resetting it because he has unlimited power.
When I said reset, I meant changed. Semantic error on my part. Rosalina changed the universe, possibly even made a new one altogether (resetting implies she made it go back to the beginning, basically being linear time travel, which isn't what she did).

And she did fight in Galaxy. Absolutely obliterated Bowser's fleet while Mario searched for Peach and Bowser.

Also have you seen her Birdie and Eagle animations in Mario Golf? Pretty crazy stuff:

And that's just a golf celebration thing.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
When I said reset, I meant changed. Semantic error on my part. Rosalina changed the universe, possibly even made a new one altogether (resetting implies she made it go back to the beginning, basically being linear time travel, which isn't what she did).

And she did fight in Galaxy. Absolutely obliterated Bowser's fleet while Mario searched for Peach and Bowser.

Also have you seen her Birdie and Eagle animations in Mario Golf? Pretty crazy stuff:

i dont think its fair to use the golf game as a measure of power if you don't include all of her appearances, which you said you don't, use all of them or just canon ones

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What about the Duck Hunt Dog? :troll:
NOT UNTIL THE OFFICIAL REVEAL!

Anyway, even discounting the end game Shulk feat, the Monado literally is a tool that allows the wielder to shape the building blocks of creation (in the case of Xenoblade that would be ether, or what the Universe is made out of.) That's what it's for.

the8thark

Smash Lord
If you take away all weapons and magic powers, you could argue Little Mac is right up there in the power per size ratio.
A tiny guy like him beating up Mike Tyson is a pretty mean feat.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I am not that literate in Earthbound, but Ness is the most powerful of all 3 protagonist and he demonstrates very powerful physic abilities, but I don't think he's as strong as Mewtwo, physically speaking.
Ness actually has a powerful mind shown in EB. He can survive things like his brain being shocked (at least that's what the name is) and memory loss. Mewtwo has strong powers, yes, but Ness can teleport across the world and use a variety of moves, one of which is essentially his enemy's body imploding. Mewtwo's powers just revolve around dark energy or psychic mind games that Ness is able to dodge. He also became inhumanly strong at one point in the game, being able to take down any enemy. I'm not saying he's S tier, but I think he could take mewtwo on.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If you take away all weapons and magic powers, you could argue Little Mac is right up there in the power per size ratio.
A tiny guy like him beating up Mike Tyson is a pretty mean feat.
I've argued Mac is stronger then most here care to admit. He takes punches from people that demolish buildings and upper cut bulls to train in their cut scene videos.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

I said "physical strength". We don't know if she could survive a hit from the Monado or even fight in close quarters with Shulk. Also, would you mind sending me a link to the cutscene where she destroys Bowser's fleet? Because the only time I remember is when she's in her fully-powered spaceship and sends Mario into Bowser's castle... And then we never see her fight.

Is this in Super Mario Galaxy 2? I never really finished that game.

Last edited:

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I already know what you are referring to and it still doesn't impress me, like I said.

I now know what Shulk did but it is in no way comparable to Rosalina. In fact, it sounds almost exactly like what Lightning did in the ending of Lightning Returns, and while that's a big feat, it isn't the same as Rosalina.

To put this into better context, what Shulk did is the result of a convoluted 100 hour JRPG plot and it's still something he only did that one time.

Rosalina did the same thing as Shulk, but to a more advanced extent (she can pick and choose what can be constant across all universes), and was able to slip in "oh btw I've done this before, no biggie, all in a day's work". And it was all a process fit into a Mario platformer.
Yes, but Shulk can foresee what Rosalina does and match up with her. Based on the evidence, Shulk could beat her using Monado III.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
The strongest ones are probably :rosalina::4palutena::ganondorf:*Shulk*:ness2::4samus:

Palutena is a goddess, so.
Ganondorf can't be defeated except by Link
Shulk... well, Xenoblade explains that
Rosalina is kind of a goddess, too
Ness has defeated WILD DOGS
Samus' suit is pretty cool.

I'd say Link, Lucas, Zelda, and Mewtwo are all pretty high up there too.

Canonically weakest would probably be Jigglypuff, Peach, and Villager. Then there's the people who are strong fighters but don't have any particular magical abilities on their side, who I'd rank around the same level. Ala ZSS, Marth, Ike, Lucina, etc...
I'd say ROB is the weakest considering the rules of the thread. His canon is technically as the peripheral as he has no consistent gaming career (MKDS does not count). Therefore, just breaking it or taking out the batteries would count as defeating it, something even Olimar and Jiggs can do.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This isn't a who would win a fight thread, though, it's power. I think Shulk would come out on top in a fight with Rosalina just because he has a weapon that is uniquely suited to fighting beings like her. For over all power I'll be at least willing to entertain conversation.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
i dont think its fair to use the golf game as a measure of power if you don't include all of her appearances, which you said you don't, use all of them or just canon ones
I don't count Super Mario 3D World because it absolutely contradicts canon and does not care about it as it's supposed to be fun platformer and nothing else. They game arbitrarily limits the characters for the sake of having a multiplayer platformer that works, and for the sake of being like a 2D Mario game in 3D. This is absolutely fine and is in no way me crapping on the game because I actually love it, but it's why you don't take it into consideration when talking about the characterisation.

The golf game may not be canon but it's reflective of her powers, as is Smash Bros in how she farts galaxies :V.

I said "physical strength". We don't know if she could survive a hit from the Monado or even fight in close quarters with Shulk. Also, would you mind sending me a link to the cutscene where she destroys Bowser's fleet? Because the only time I remember is when she's in her fully-powered spaceship and sends Mario into Bowser's castle... And then we never see her fight.

Is this in Super Mario Galaxy 2? I never really finished that game.
She blew through it with the Comet Observatory, while occupying it. We know she can survive pretty much anything anyway. She's immortal, and has survived tearing through space at warp speed (something she does regularly). Again, it's nothing to her.

And in Mario Kart, she can spin a heavy vehicle around while performing a back flip, like it's nothing, so even without god power, it seems she is strong physically.

Yes, but Shulk can foresee what Rosalina does and match up with her. Based on the evidence, Shulk could beat her using Monado III.
Like I said, Rosalina is omniscient. She outright controls what happens next. If Shulk sees it, she changes it. Simple. It would at least be a constant back and forth.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Weapons are a grey area. Do you consider someone's power as on their own or with their weapon attached. They have skill to use such a powerful weapon. But really the weapon is not them unless they physically merge with the weapon.

It's like saying "we give Jiggly the most powerful weapon ever created". Does that make Jiggly powerful? Yes in a way, but it's still a weakling with a powerful weapon. Not a powerful character with a powerful weapon.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I don't count Super Mario 3D World because it absolutely contradicts canon and does not care about it as it's supposed to be fun platformer and nothing else. They game arbitrarily limits the characters for the sake of having a multiplayer platformer that works, and for the sake of being like a 2D Mario game in 3D. This is absolutely fine and is in no way me crapping on the game because I actually love it, but it's why you don't take it into consideration when talking about the characterisation.

She blew through it with the Comet Observatory, while occupying it. We know she can survive pretty much anything anyway. She's immortal, and has survived tearing through space at warp speed (something she does regularly). Again, it's nothing to her.

And in Mario Kart, she can spin a heavy vehicle around while performing a back flip, like it's nothing, so even without god power, it seems she is strong physically.

Like I said, Rosalina is omniscient. She outright controls what happens next. If Shulk sees it, she changes it. Simple. It would at least be a constant back and forth.

The golf game may not be canon but it's reflective of her powers, as is Smash Bros in how she farts galaxies :V.

except if she could do what you say she could, there would be no prescience of evil in the games. Her being omnipresent makes no sense because she's not able to pierce though bowsers forces without enough Power Stars, if she had unlimited power she could blink and Galaxy would have no plot. She has limits that Shulk can exploit.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Weapons are a grey area. Do you consider someone's power as on their own or with their weapon attached. They have skill to use such a powerful weapon. But really the weapon is not them unless they physically merge with the weapon.

It's like saying "we give Jiggly the most powerful weapon ever created". Does that make Jiggly powerful? Yes in a way, but it's still a weakling with a powerful weapon. Not a powerful character with a powerful weapon.
at least for shulk he is the only one who can use it to its fullest so its his weapon

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

About that.

Shulk can use the Monado abilities even without the Monado, as he does in the last part of the game. The True Monado is literally a part of him. [/close spoiler]

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
except if she could do what you say she could, there would be no prescience of evil in the games. Her being omnipresent makes no sense because she's not able to pierce though bowsers forces without enough Power Stars, if she had unlimited power she could blink and Galaxy would have no plot. She has limits that Shulk can exploit.
The reason there is evil is because she can't just go interrupting with free will whenever she feels like. She took action in Galaxy because Bowser was threatening the universe itself, not just the Mushroom Kingdom.

And I already explained why she didn't just show up on Bowser's front door or collect the Power Stars - she can't leave the Lumas unattended. It's not a limit in power, it's just something that she saw as unnecessary. This plot point only exists so that we CAN have a game, though. Much like the classic "why can't Mega Man teleport to the boss?" thing.

The Super Mario Series has a canon?
Yes, some games do have canon links and you can piece many Mario games together. It's an often overlooked thing, but they drop subtle links to various Mario game series' all over the place. That's a whole other tangent though as there are a lot of little things to address, so I won't go over it here, but I did make a start elsewhere.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Rosalina were truly omniscient and knew Bowser was going to be that big of a problem, couldn't she have done something before all this went down? Where do we see that she is omniscient? Where is it stated, exactly? Been years since I played Galaxy.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
The reason there is evil is because she can't just go interrupting with free will whenever she feels like. She took action in Galaxy because Bowser was threatening the universe itself, not just the Mushroom Kingdom.

And I already explained why she didn't just show up on Bowser's front door or collect the Power Stars - she can't leave the Lumas unattended. It's not a limit in power, it's just something that she saw as unnecessary. This plot point only exists so that we CAN have a game, though. Much like the classic "why can't Mega Man teleport to the boss?" thing.

Yes, some games do have canon links and you can piece many Mario games together. It's an often overlooked thing, but they drop subtle links to various Mario game series' all over the place. That's a whole other tangent though as there are a lot of little things to address, so I won't go over it here, but I did make a start elsewhere.
well at least for mega man you can argue that the bosses have some sort of tech that blocks the use of his teleport, with her it just seems like they just said screw it she does not want to

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Never noticed, and I'm a huge Mario fan, Heck I have like alot of Mario plushies and posters like some kind of gay plumber otaku.
(anyway jumps back on topic before getting shot down by a million death stars)
I honestly don't see Rosalina being a threat... other then ragequiting via reality reset.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
well at least for mega man you can argue that the bosses have some sort of tech that blocks the use of his teleport, with her it just seems like they just said screw it she does not want to
Mega Man checkpoint systems throw that theory right out the window. You teleport to the door right before the boss after dying to one.

Rosalina had a duty related limitation, not a power related one.

Never noticed, and I'm a huge Mario fan, Heck I have like alot of Mario plushies and posters like some kind of gay plumber otaku.
(anyway jumps back on topic before getting shot down by a million death stars)
I honestly don't see Rosalina being a threat... other then ragequiting via reality reset.

She's basically god tier Dart Vader with dat force choke.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Mega Man checkpoint systems throw that theory right out the window. You teleport to the door right before the boss after dying to one.

Rosalina had a duty related limitation, not a power related one.

She's basically god tier Dart Vader with dat force choke.
o_o His neck would be broken in the 1st moment of that throw.
But Doesn't follow batman rules? (Shall not kill)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I very much view Rosalina as a pacifist, until it is absolutely necessary to kill. While she is sweet and motherly, she also has a competitive side (her Mario Kart bios state that she uses the race time to "cut loose" and that she "has a very commanding presence on the track"), and she does have an authoritative aura about her, which is especially visible in Smash.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
I very much view Rosalina as a pacifist, until it is absolutely necessary to kill. While she is sweet and motherly, she also has a competitive side (her Mario Kart bios state that she uses the race time to "cut loose" and that she "has a very commanding presence on the track"), and she does have an authoritative aura about her, which is especially visible in Smash.
Wait a minute, Shulk and Rosalina are even fighting in the 1st place? they are both overpowered blonde space gods, wouldn't they end up... eh you know where i am going with this.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, Shulk is taken much to a poor character's feelings that I supported. D:

Also, I just tried to look it up but I can't find anywhere that it says Rosalina is omniscient. If you could point to where it was in the game, I'd like to view it.

EDIT: Here's where I see the difference in power.

Say Shulk was the one on the star observatory and for whatever reason Bowser managed to steal the Power Stars. (Which Rosalina needed to bring Mario to the center of the Galaxy.

Shulk wouldn't need anyone to collect the Power stars. He could literally wave his hand or something and create more power stars, among other things.

That's where I see the line. Shulk is capable of anything at all. Rosalina still depends on certain things.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'm glad someone recognizes this! Seriously, he could definitely take on Mewtwo for sure. I wish i could say the same for Lucas, but he didn't get the
Sanctuary super power up that Ness did. Ness basically inherited the power of the entire earth and his Psychic powers increased tenfold at least.
Lucas's definitely not someone to take lightly though, although his strength lies more in his willpower and mental strength than in Psychic power or Physical strength, which is what matters here.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait a minute, Shulk and Rosalina are even fighting in the 1st place? they are both overpowered blonde space gods, wouldn't they end up... eh you know where i am going with this.
I kinda brought up that point before, only without the romantic/sexual connotations. :p

But yeah, despite being a goddess, I doubt Shulk would want to take her out for any reason. Rosalina isn't like most gods in games. She started out completely human, and through some as of yet unexplained circumstances, obtained her great power. Since she was once human, and possibly gained these powers against her will or knowledge, she's not power hungry at all and doesn't actually abuse her powers. The universe is her child as much as the Lumas are, and while she guides it and wants it to prosper, she wants it to make it's own decisions, like any good mother would allow their child. So there is no reason for Shulk to want to be rid of her, from what I know of him. Also, from what I gather, he likes reading, and Rosalina writes stories, so there ya go!

Sorry, Shulk is taken much to a poor character's feelings that I supported. D:

Also, I just tried to look it up but I can't find anywhere that it says Rosalina is omniscient. If you could point to where it was in the game, I'd like to view it.
She never outright says "I'm omniscient", but she somehow knew about the entirety of events in Galaxy 2 (the game is a story she is reading to the Lumas - this is revealed in the 120 Star Ending). However, she only appears in the regular ending before that, and leaves very swiftly.

And the definitive proof that the story of Galaxy 2 did happen, and wasn't just a story she wrote, lies in the fact that in the regular ending, Young Master Luma takes Mario's/Luigi's hat and reunites with Rosalina, and in the 120 Star Ending, still has it.

Also, her very first words to Mario in Galaxy 1 are "My name is Rosalina. I watch over and protect the cosmos."

Now I can't imagine she could watch over the cosmos unless she was all-seeing. That might beg the question as to why the events of the game transpire at all, but as is general god law in most works of fiction, gods aren't supposed to interfere with the affairs of mortals unless mortal threaten the universe and time itself, which is what happened in Galaxy 1.

Top Bottom