• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, isn't Rosalina kind of Mario's version of God? I imagine her just joining the fight to amuse herself, since she's bored of creating and maintaining the expanse of outer space.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Sakurai of course since the miis are playable.

Though in all seriousness, I seriously doubt it's Palutena. It may very well be Rosalina, though even her I'm skeptical of.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
So I just finished Earthbound, and I still don't understand why you guys are placing Ness so high. He's strong, yes, but he couldn't beat Giygas when they fought. They had to resort to Paula's praying. Am I missing something here?

iamgenderqueer

Smash Cadet
"canonically" most of them never fought eachother

or even met

pit would get his ass whooped by nearly everyone tho

so would sonic, hes dumb

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Level 20 Grand tactician Robin with the following skills

Sol
Armsthrift
Limit break
Deliverer
Veteran

FE A fans will understand

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Thinking a little smaller for a moment, how would Olimar fare? I mean his suit is relatively durable to the elements and his Pikmin are versitile, but being one inch, he is at a huge disadvantage. I think he would be successful against several Pokemon (Pika, Pichu, Jiggs, maybe Charizard), as well as "normal" human characters who aren't used to hitting targets that small (WFT, Lil' Mac, possibly Villager if not for his bug catching prowess.) Also I think they could beat Dedede, as he is only ~3 ft tall and his fight in mass attack reminds me of Pikmin weighing down a Wollywog.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
For those wondering, Shulk has survived black holes being thrown into his face, planet's being made in front of him and destroyed in an attempt to kill him, and....

Managed to kill the god of the universe. After which, Shulk got rid of the old universe and made a new one.

Also has the ability to see and alter the future, and defeated enemies able to read his mind when he discovered that he could seal their abilities away. Among other things.

During the course of Xenoblade.
It's revealed that the Mondao is capable of doing anything the wielder wants it to, thus getting rid of the old universe and making a brand new one for example.

This is a very summed up thing.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For those wondering, Shulk has survived black holes being thrown into his face, planet's being made in front of him and destroyed in an attempt to kill him, and....

Managed to kill the god of the universe. After which, Shulk got rid of the old universe and made a new one.

Also has the ability to see and alter the future, and defeated enemies able to read his mind when he discovered that he could seal their abilities away. Among other things.

It's revealed that the Mondao is capable of doing anything the wielder wants it to, thus getting rid of the old universe and making a brand new one for example.

Remind me to never show this post to my friend, he hasn't beaten Xenoblade yet.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina, IMO. We've seen no clear limits to her power, and what she has been seen doing canonically is pretty unbeatable (don't get her mad or she will reset the universe :p).

Though I will give Sonic, Shulk, Pit, and Kirby the benefit of the doubt. They are known god killers. However, I still say Rosalina, since I don't think these guys would, realistically, ever fight her, and I'm not sure they could beat her powers in particular. Plus, have you seen her when she takes damage in Smash?

Ganondorf takes a jab from Jigglypuff and is all like "Oh gOd tHAaAaT hUrTs!!!", but Rosie can take Little Mac's OHKO Punch and her face is jut like ".....sarcastic ow". I swear she's trying to just play along with everything.

I know Palutena is a goddess too but she's shown to be extremely fallible despite that, and she doesn't seem that powerful as far as gods go, and has some clear cut boundaries, while Rosalina doesn't (the only boundary Rosalina has isn't even related to her powers, more to her personality and duties). And since Rosalina is an implied goddess of space, that instantly makes her stronger than Palutena, as light needs space to function, and Palutena is the Goddess of Light.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina, IMO. We've seen no clear limits to her power, and what she has been seen doing canonically is pretty unbeatable (don't get her mad or she will reset the universe :p).

Though I will give Sonic, Shulk, Pit, and Kirby the benefit of the doubt. They are known god killers. However, I still say Rosalina, since I don't think these guys would, realistically, ever fight her, and I'm not sure they could beat her powers in particular. Plus, have you seen her when she takes damage in Smash?

Ganondorf takes a jab from Jigglypuff and is all like "Oh gOd tHAaAaT hUrTs!!!", but Rosie can take Little Mac's OHKO Punch and her face is jut like ".....sarcastic ow". I swear she's trying to just play along with everything.

I know Palutena is a goddess too but she's shown to be extremely fallible despite that, and she doesn't seem that powerful as far as gods go, and has some clear cut boundaries, while Rosalina doesn't (the only boundary Rosalina has isn't even related to her powers, more to her personality and duties). And since Rosalina is an implied goddess of space, that instantly makes her stronger than Palutena, as light needs space to function, and Palutena is the Goddess of Light.

Did you read my spoilers a couple posts up about what Shulk's done? XD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Did you read my spoilers a couple posts up about what Shulk's done? XD
I don't want to read spoilers for Xenoblade as I would like to play the game one day.

However, no matter what he's done, Rosalina can reset the universe. I don't think that's beatable. If Rosalina had the slightest inclination that Shulk was out to destroy her or something, and there was really no other way out, she could just reset the universe and POOF - Shulk is now reincarnated as a harmless, non-anthropomorphic bunny rabbit.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to read spoilers for Xenoblade as I would like to play the game one day.

However, no matter what he's done, Rosalina can reset the universe. I don't think that's beatable. If Rosalina had the slightest inclination that Shulk was out to destroy her or something, and there was really no other way out, she could just reset the universe and POOF - Shulk is now reincarnated as a harmless, non-anthropomorphic bunny rabbit.
Well, unfortunately without spoiling all I can say is... well... won't spoil it. No way to really discuss it without spoiling it. :p

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
Well... Link can turn back time right? And he has the Fierce Deity Mask? Unless we are only counting Smash move sets. In that case, my vote goes to Mewtwo or Ganondorf.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace

You are blowing her powers way out of proportion.
Taking what you say as a grain of salt to be canon, Shulk can still beat her easily. "Universe resetting" is no problem for Shulk when you're God. And And Rosalina had an indication of Shulk destroying her, it wouldn't matter. Shulk can see into the future and would know her next move before she did.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm reading through this thread and I have to say - just what do we mean by "canonically the strongest"?

I assumed we meant "in a fight". Like, having to face each other without the arbitrary limitations of Smash.

Though honestly, I think Rosalina would win in any situation. I know everyone will likely assume I only say that out of love for the character, but keep in mind I love other characters nearly as much or just as much.

It's just that she has not shown to be fallible with absolutely no weakness in canon (Super Mario 3D World isn't canon if you ask me as there is virtually no story to it. And even if it is, Rosalina is unlocked AFTER the story concludes - and even in that game she's the best character - plus, I never view the characters in that game as "dying" when you lose a life, since it's not explicitly implied, unlike when Mario or Luigi lose all of their health in Galaxy, and have different death animations), aside from the personality/duty related one, but I don't think that would effect her in a fight. If you are wondering what I mean - she needed Mario to collect the Power Stars, but that wasn't because she was incapable of chasing them down herself. When you first meet her, she teleports back to the Observatory, after all. But why didn't she do that to collect the Power Stars and beat Bowser herself? And even if she couldn't, we know she can go on a platforming adventure more competently than Mario. So why didn't she?

Simple - she couldn't leave the Lumas and the Observatory unattended. And it's likely extreme paranoia on her part too, because she could probably wrap up the situation very easily and swiftly. But she would just be too worried when apart from her Lumas, especially the babies. And the Comet Observatory had lost all of it's power, and due to it being born from a Luma, it's technically a living thing, so it needs legitimate star power to function, or else it dies. I believe Rosalina is extremely powerful, but I don't believe she can create Luma food out of thin air. She can take any opponent and protect her own life like it's nothing, but she needs to be careful with the Lumas and the Observatory (which doubles as the first Luma she ever met).

Though again, I don't think that applies to a fight, since she would likely be approached first. Which would encourage her to send the Observatory and Lumas away or put a protective bubble around them.

You are blowing her powers way out of proportion.
Taking what you say as a grain of salt to be canon, Shulk can still beat her easily. "Universe resetting" is no problem for Shulk when you're God. And And Rosalina had an indication of Shulk destroying her, it wouldn't matter. Shulk can see into the future and would know her next move before she did.
Not really, I'm just going by what I saw.

And knowing the next move doesn't mean Shulk can act on it on time. And I'm pretty sure he's part of a 100 hour RPG, meaning he doesn't just have all of his powers like it's nothing. If Rosalina knew he was questing to destroy her while she's in another galaxy, or heck, another universe to Shulk, and planned to change him or the world around him as a counter, Shulk maybe able to forsee that, but that doesn't mean he can just go to another universe. And even so, Rosalina is implied to be immortal, so I don't think he can just kill her. Maybe he had some exploitable plan to kill a god in Xenoblade Chronicles, but it may not apply to Rosalina.

Also Rosalina is implied to have some kind of omniscient vision too.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm reading through this thread and I have to say - just what do we mean by "canonically the strongest"?

I assumed we meant "in a fight". Like, having to face each other without the arbitrary limitations of Smash.

Though honestly, I think Rosalina would win in any situation. I know everyone will likely assume I only say that out of love for the character, but keep in mind I love other characters nearly as much or just as much.

It's just that she has not shown to be fallible with absolutely no weakness in canon (Super Mario 3D World isn't canon if you ask me as there is virtually no story to it. And even if it is, Rosalina is unlocked AFTER the story concludes - and even in that game she's the best character - plus, I never view the characters in that game as "dying" when you lose a life, since it's not explicitly implied, unlike when Mario or Luigi lose all of their health in Galaxy, and have different death animations), aside from the personality/duty related one, but I don't think that would effect her in a fight. If you are wondering what I mean - she needed Mario to collect the Power Stars, but that wasn't because she was incapable of chasing them down herself. When you first meet her, she teleports back to the Observatory, after all. But why didn't she do that to collect the Power Stars and beat Bowser herself? And even if she couldn't, we know she can go on a platforming adventure more competently than Mario. So why didn't she?

Simple - she couldn't leave the Lumas and the Observatory unattended. And it's likely extreme paranoia on her part too, because she could probably wrap up the situation very easily and swiftly. But she would just be too worried when apart from her Lumas, especially the babies. And the Comet Observatory had lost all of it's power, and due to it being born from a Luma, it's technically a living thing, so it needs legitimate star power to function, or else it dies. I believe Rosalina is extremely powerful, but I don't believe she can create Luma food out of thin air. She can take any opponent and protect her own life like it's nothing, but she needs to be careful with the Lumas and the Observatory (which doubles as the first Luma she ever met).

Though again, I don't think that applies to a fight, since she would likely be approached first. Which would encourage her to send the Observatory and Lumas away or put a protective bubble around them.

Not really, I'm just going by what I saw.

And knowing the next move doesn't mean Shulk can act on it on time. And I'm pretty sure he's part of a 100 hour RPG, meaning he doesn't just have all of his powers like it's nothing. If Rosalina knew he was questing to destroy her while she's in another galaxy, or heck, another universe to Shulk, and planned to change him or the world around him as a counter, Shulk maybe able to forsee that, but that doesn't mean he can just go to another universe. And even so, Rosalina is implied to be immortal, so I don't think he can just kill her. Maybe he had some exploitable plan to kill a god in Xenoblade Chronicles, but it may not apply to Rosalina.

Also Rosalina is implied to have some kind of omniscient vision too.
ill just have to disagree knowing what i do about both series without spoiling things

Raijinken

Smash Master
Captain Falcon. There can be no doubt. He continues existing in games long after his franchise was put on (probably permanent) hiatus by sheer force of justice.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Kirby.
He takes out universal destroyers on a daily basis.
He IS the Star Warrior.

Runner ups would probably be Ness and Pit. They're both extremely powerful.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Never played Xenoblade, so I can't really add to this discussion yet. Now to decide if I should wait to get the game or watch Chugga's let's play. Back on topic:
Well... Link can turn back time right?
Technically yes for the OOT/MM Link, but I fail to see how that would help in the slightest; if he turns back time, both he and the opponent get fully revitalized, but Link would lose his arrows and bombs in the process (magic too?), which would put him at a disadvantage. Considering the only time he would turn back time is if he's losing...

Also to whoever played the game, does the Manado or anything else Shulk can do count as a "light or holy power" to take away Ganondork's immortality?

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Never played Xenoblade, so I can't really add to this discussion yet. Now to decide if I should wait to get the game or watch Chugga's let's play. Back on topic:

Technically yes for the OOT/MM Link, but I fail to see how that would help in the slightest; if he turns back time, both he and the opponent get fully revitalized, but Link would lose his arrows and bombs in the process (magic too?), which would put him at a disadvantage. Considering the only time he would turn back time is if he's losing...

Also to whoever played the game, does the Manado or anything else Shulk can do count as a "light or holy power" to take away Ganondork's immortality?
kinda its plays heavy into the story what it is so i won't say for those who have not played it, but i think it would be able to get around his immortality

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

You forgot something to add to your endgame spoilers there:
Shulk was a god, for a couple minutes. He gave it up because he's too cool for that.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
shulk's here to know names and engage enemies and he's learned everyones names

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I really can't say anyone but Shulk. I mean, I'd tell you why, but there's massive spoilers.

As for Rosalina, no, she can't just spontaneously reset the universe whenever she wants and, even if she could, she wouldn't. She's trying to protect the current galaxy. It would go against her character.

Edit: JRPG characters just tend to get ridiculously overpowered in the end-game. That's just how they roll.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

There is no way to really talk about Shulk without spoilers, but I will say that as the game progresses the Monado unlocks the ability to destroy different forms of beings. At first it can only harm mechon, and the symbol on the sword says "machines." It then gets the ability to harm the people of the Bionis, and the symbol changes to "people."

Shulk should be able to kill Ganondorf because the final symbol you unlock is (small and ambiguous spoiler ahead)
God

the8thark

Smash Lord
I am voting for Captain Falcon. In his Blue Falcon that is.
I don't care who you are. If you are hit by something travelling at faster than mach 1 you will die.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I am voting for Captain Falcon. In his Blue Falcon that is.
I don't care who you are. If you are hit by something travelling at faster than mach 1 you will die.
Shulk sees the future. He uses maxed out Monado Shield (which can withstand the power of a planet being destroyed) because his skills extend the time he has to respond.

He doesn't get hurt. :troll:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I would have to say Shulk or Robin

Last edited:
Top Bottom