• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

josh bones

Smash Lord
I'm counting R.O.B's canon appearance as mario kart ds, so he gets the car and the items. Villager can't take a car to the face. Or a lightning bolt. Or a blue shell. Olimar has poisinous thingies, and animals can kill things twice their size. So yeah, villager is weakest character

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Villager canonically owns the Varia Suit. And the Master Sword. And a Bill Blaster. And a Mario Kart. and Catain Falcon's ship, etc.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Wow this adds some "strength" to the megaman argument ;p

To bad he gets crushed 99% of the other times....

MEGAMAN DOES NOT HAVE EFFECTIVE TIME STOP ABILITY!!!!!
NO NO NO! This is a misconception of his abilities.
Well, Mega Man didn't hold out his arms to stop them 99% of the other times or he'd be OK =P (Generally, when we talk about feats, story events take precedence over gameplay mechanics)

I know Flash Stopper only temporarily disables robots with a bright light or whatever but I'm pretty sure Time Stopper completely works as a well... Time Stopper. Though its utility is limited by the fact that he can't shoot when he stops time... So explain, unless you mean that Time Stopper simply isn't that effective due to the fact that he can't shoot things while freezing time then sure.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Time stopper only works on one robot master.... The name is misleading. It should be called 1 robot stopper....

I've done the research. Cool name little substance.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Time stopper only works on one robot master.... The name is misleading. It should be called 1 robot stopper....

I've done the research. Cool name little substance.
Well, according to the wiki, the ONLY reason that's the case is because they have devices made SPECIFICALLY so they aren't affected by it. So when you have Mega Man face off against **** like Mario, yeah, it should work.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Villager canonically owns the Varia Suit. And the Master Sword. And a Bill Blaster. And a Mario Kart. and Catain Falcon's ship, etc.
Villager gets to go up a couple tiears on the list now.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
To be fair, his access to said weapons says literally nothing about his proficiency in using them.
Still, this little experience in weapons of mass destruction can be enough to kill off the weaker characters like R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and Mr.Game & Watch.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Well, according to the wiki, the ONLY reason that's the case is because they have devices made SPECIFICALLY so they aren't affected by it. So when you have Mega Man face off against **** like Mario, yeah, it should work.
I swear that wiki has been edited since last time I argued this like 2 months ago. I want better documentation. Lol

Touché

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Still, this little experience in weapons of mass destruction can be enough to kill off the weaker characters like R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and Mr.Game & Watch.
but clearly Mr. Game and Watch's turtle is way more powerful than any other weapon Villager could possibly have access to =P

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'd say that the top six goes something like this, and assumes a general lack of character reluctance in going all out with intent to kill:

1. Mewtwo
2. Ness
3. Lucas
4. Ganondorf
5. Pit
6. Kirby

Before anyone asks, reasoning behind the picks:

Mewtwo: Canonically the strongest Pokemon in his series; was outranked by Arceus 'til X/Y. Pretty much the entire cast has no defense against psionics. When you can feasibly mind-wipe your enemy, well, Mewtwo has the upper hand. Mega Forms essentially make Mewtwo stupid powerful. Finally, to end it, an arsenal of extremely powerful techniques allow him versatility to tackle most any genuine problem. Assuming Recover is a thing, which it should be in any serious fight, longevity puts most bad matchups firmly in his favor.

Ness: I actually had a bit of trouble figuring out who was stronger between Mewtwo and Ness, but I gave the #1 spot to Mewtwo since I'm fairly certain Mewtwo is the stronger psychic. Ness hits the #2 spot 'cause not only is he an incredibly strong psychic, but also has experience fighting inorganic enemies, like robots. Similarly, enemies like Game & Watch would prove little trouble since, well, when you've fought the embodiment of evil and won, an LED character won't cause much trouble. Also has the support and power of the Earth. Seriously. Watch what happens when you finish Magicant. Those are some ridiculous stat boosts. Like Mewtwo before him, Ness also has access to recovery and defensive techniques.

Lucas: Similar to Ness, though I feel a weaker psychic compared to #1 and #2. Also with experience fighting inorganic enemies. Contrary to popular belief (and his portrayal in Brawl), Lucas is NOT a crybaby. The whole storyline surrounds Lucas' loss and grief, and how he comes to term with that and grows up. Play the game sometime, it's great. Like Mewtwo and Ness before him, also has access to recovery and defensive techniques.

Ganondorf: This should be a no-brainer. Effectively immortal, has 33.33% of a MacGuffin called the Triforce of Power, is just a total villain through and through. Sadly, demonic villain with MacGuffin or no, I feel like if Mewtwo, Ness or Lucas wanted to, they'd have little issue with him. On the other hand, Ganondorf is still no pushover, since he could dominate anyone else on the list. Before anyone else mentions 'Well, Link could beat him!', the official timeline insists that one of the branching points of the timeline is where Ganondorf actually KILLS Link. The Goddesses have to flood Hyrule to keep Ganondorf from being the badass he really is.

Pit: Lots of versatility in his arsenal and can fight effectively at all ranges, plenty of experience fighting opponents of all kinds of crazy, effectively immortal and also has the immediate support and assistance of various Gods and Goddesses in his own world without need for preparation, typically. The only reason why Pit is here and not a certain someone else from his series that starts with an H (and he'd be #1) is simply because we're discussing current or past fighters in Smash. I just can't really see Pit overcoming the brain-melting psionics from the top three, and no matter the range advantage, I figure Ganondorf has the match up on lock.

Kirby: Takes the powers of enemies and utilizes them for himself. This all in itself makes him extremely effective as a fighter, but he also clearly has skill outside of power combat and betrays an amazing strength and resilience that isn't obvious at first glance. One could argue that Kirby would have a strong chance to topple the other five fighters, and that's why he's even on the list to begin with. Plus, it's debatable if he even has a brain but, even so, Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas shouldn't have an issue pummeling Kirby with genuine psychokinetic attacks and a versatile arsenal.

Last edited:

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Going off of game canon, Mewtwo is bottom A tier at best due to having very little actual feats.

Are we including haxed items or not? Because GST Pit and Chaos Heart Luigi are vastly superior to their normal selves.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Going off of game canon, Mewtwo is bottom A tier at best due to having very little actual feats.

Are we including haxed items or not? Because GST Pit and Chaos Heart Luigi are vastly superior to their normal selves.
Why does feats have anything to do with the genuine strength of the character? Mewtwo not having done any feats doesn't matter when he can simply puree the brains of the majority of the cast from a distance. As for haxed items, I didn't include them when drawing up the list, I mostly stuck to stuff already in Smash, typical of the character day to day in their canon sources, or that would fit into Smash that isn't already there, like Mewtwo's Mega Forms.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

Well, the canon would be based off of thing they would USUALLY have available to them, so I'm not sure if those count.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'd say that the top six goes something like this, and assumes a general lack of character reluctance in going all out with intent to kill:

1. Mewtwo
2. Ness
3. Lucas
4. Ganondorf
5. Pit
6. Kirby

Before anyone asks, reasoning behind the picks:

Mewtwo: Canonically the strongest Pokemon in his series; was outranked by Arceus 'til X/Y. Pretty much the entire cast has no defense against psionics. When you can feasibly mind-wipe your enemy, well, Mewtwo has the upper hand. Mega Forms essentially make Mewtwo stupid powerful. Finally, to end it, an arsenal of extremely powerful techniques allow him versatility to tackle most any genuine problem. Assuming Recover is a thing, which it should be in any serious fight, longevity puts most bad matchups firmly in his favor.

Ness: I actually had a bit of trouble figuring out who was stronger between Mewtwo and Ness, but I gave the #1 spot to Mewtwo since I'm fairly certain Mewtwo is the stronger psychic. Ness hits the #2 spot 'cause not only is he an incredibly strong psychic, but also has experience fighting inorganic enemies, like robots. Similarly, enemies like Game & Watch would prove little trouble since, well, when you've fought the embodiment of evil and won, an LED character won't cause much trouble. Also has the support and power of the Earth. Seriously. Watch what happens when you finish Magicant. Those are some ridiculous stat boosts. Like Mewtwo before him, Ness also has access to recovery and defensive techniques.

Lucas: Similar to Ness, though I feel a weaker psychic compared to #1 and #2. Also with experience fighting inorganic enemies. Contrary to popular belief (and his portrayal in Brawl), Lucas is NOT a crybaby. The whole storyline surrounds Lucas' loss and grief, and how he comes to term with that and grows up. Play the game sometime, it's great. Like Mewtwo and Ness before him, also has access to recovery and defensive techniques.

Ganondorf: This should be a no-brainer. Effectively immortal, has 33.33% of a MacGuffin called the Triforce of Power, is just a total villain through and through. Sadly, demonic villain with MacGuffin or no, I feel like if Mewtwo, Ness or Lucas wanted to, they'd have little issue with him. On the other hand, Ganondorf is still no pushover, since he could dominate anyone else on the list. Before anyone else mentions 'Well, Link could beat him!', the official timeline insists that one of the branching points of the timeline is where Ganondorf actually KILLS Link. The Goddesses have to flood Hyrule to keep Ganondorf from being the badass he really is.

Pit: Lots of versatility in his arsenal and can fight effectively at all ranges, plenty of experience fighting opponents of all kinds of crazy, effectively immortal and also has the immediate support and assistance of various Gods and Goddesses in his own world without need for preparation, typically. The only reason why Pit is here and not a certain someone else from his series that starts with an H (and he'd be #1) is simply because we're discussing current or past fighters in Smash. I just can't really see Pit overcoming the brain-melting psionics from the top three, and no matter the range advantage, I figure Ganondorf has the match up on lock.

Kirby: Takes the powers of enemies and utilizes them for himself. This all in itself makes him extremely effective as a fighter, but he also clearly has skill outside of power combat and betrays an amazing strength and resilience that isn't obvious at first glance. One could argue that Kirby would have a strong chance to topple the other five fighters, and that's why he's even on the list to begin with. Plus, it's debatable if he even has a brain but, even so, Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas shouldn't have an issue pummeling Kirby with genuine psychokinetic attacks and a versatile arsenal.
You may like my big post somewhere talking bout Pit's powers that he learned how to do thanks to Palutena. I'm too lazy to talk about the important ones, though look up Bumblebee, Super/Aries Armor, Playing Dead, Freeze/Instant Death Attack, and Pisces Heal. They can help Pt most definitely.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Other Pokemon have some resistance to psionics, presumably. Also, Mewtwo's psychic attacks shouldn't be able to affect sufficiently wicked characters, like Gannondorf and Bowser.

Clogon

Smash Rookie
Other Pokemon have some resistance to psionics, presumably. Also, Mewtwo's psychic attacks shouldn't be able to affect sufficiently wicked characters, like Gannondorf and Bowser.
Mewtwo has miracle eye which removes psychic immunity an causes his attacks to never miss. Should we also include guardswap, powerswap and me first to steal the strengh of its enemies?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Mewtwo has miracle eye which removes psychic immunity an causes his attacks to never miss. Should we also include guardswap, powerswap and me first to steal the strengh of its enemies?
I think we should all confer to which natural abilities, EVs, IVs, nature, moves, etc. Mewtwo has in a battle. Now canonically he would only have four moves, so we need to decide which ones would be best for a fight with the other Smash Characters.

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Why does feats have anything to do with the genuine strength of the character? Mewtwo not having done any feats doesn't matter when he can simply puree the brains of the majority of the cast from a distance. .
Since when has Mewtwo ever displayed that he has the ability to puree brains? That's what feats have to do with it. You can't just say, "oh, he's psychic, must be able to puree peoples brains." You need to prove he has the ability to do that first.

I say Mewtwo should have the moves that he had in Cerulean Cave in FireRed and LeafGreen.

Before anyone else mentions 'Well, Link could beat him!', the official timeline insists that one of the branching points of the timeline is where Ganondorf actually KILLS Link. The Goddesses have to flood Hyrule to keep Ganondorf from being the badass he really is.
Minor nitpick: The timeline where Ganondorf kills Link is the Fallen timeline, while the one where Hyrule is flooded is the Adult timeline.

Last edited:

josh bones

Smash Lord
Villager Mathcup Charticus
+1's Wii fit Trainer: Weapons>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Average Human
Pichu: Baby Pokémon<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Weapons
?????????
Game and watch: Anybody?
-1: Luigi: Powerups are better than weapons he doesn't know how to reason?
Walugi: Expecting a legitimate reason? TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME
Tbc....... Feedback and help on the villager chart please.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Since when has Mewtwo ever displayed that he has the ability to puree brains? That's what feats have to do with it. You can't just say, "oh, he's psychic, must be able to puree peoples brains." You need to prove he has the ability to do that first.
When you can have telekinesis and can communicate telepathically, it's implied that you should be able to puree someone's brain within their own skull. So, yeah, I CAN say 'Hey, he's psychic and must be able to puree people's brains.'. Just 'cause he never actually does it normally doesn't mean he necessarily can't. If we go with your self-imposed rules..

I say Mewtwo should have the moves that he had in Cerulean Cave in FireRed and LeafGreen.
.. that's:

Psychic
Swift
Recover
Safeguard / Amnesia

The definition for Psychic as an attack says:

The target is hit by a strong telekinetic force.
The user launches a strong psychokinetic attack
A strong telekinetic attack.
Strong telekinesis/psychokinesis used to hit someone. How does it do this? Do we assume it's in a blunt way, where it uses the strong telekinetic force bluntly, where all the damage comes from the sudden acceleration of the attack? Does it legitimately attack the brain to do the damage? Either way it's done, it's still going to rattle the brain against the inside of the skull. Enough of that energy concentrated into one spot, or enough of that energy hitting you all at once, yeah. It's going to puree your brain, even if you're the Great King of Evil. He may be immortal, but you can still kill him.

Worse still is that Swift is an attack that, while laughable in terms of power, still never misses. And Recover is its single strongest tool in its arsenal. Can't really vouch for Safeguard / Amnesia, but hey, who knows?

Even worse than that is that, as I said before, Ness/Lucas have telekinetic/telepathic/psychokinetic prowess just as Mewtwo does. Have a look at PK Rockin's flavor text:

A deadly PSI attack which only Ness can use. It's a psychokinetic wave generated by concentration
There's that word again. Psychokinetic attack. Lucas has a variation of it, PK Love, and like Ness can vary the power of it. So, essentially, they can CHOOSE how pureed your brain is going to be before they puree it. So, yeah, Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas are the three strongest entities CURRENTLY PLAYABLE IN SMASH. Are there stronger entities? Definitely, but they're not playable in Smash and therefore pointless to bring up here.

As I said before, my picks assume that character flaws and reluctance regarding killing aren't taken into account. Normally, at least between Ness and Lucas, the characters wouldn't. The relatively non-violent nature of Pokemon isn't taken into account.

Minor nitpick: The timeline where Ganondorf kills Link is the Fallen timeline, while the one where Hyrule is flooded is the Adult timeline.
Oops, you're right! Thanks for pointing this out. <3

BelowZer0

Smash Apprentice
Sackboy is the strongest. He can imagine anything and obtain it. Master sword/light arrows for Ganon and anything else for the rest. He can imagine the entire roster if he wants to

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
When you can have telekinesis and can communicate telepathically, it's implied that you should be able to puree someone's brain within their own skull. So, yeah, I CAN say 'Hey, he's psychic and must be able to puree people's brains.'. Just 'cause he never actually does it normally doesn't mean he necessarily can't. If we go with your self-imposed rules..

Strong telekinesis/psychokinesis used to hit someone. How does it do this? Do we assume it's in a blunt way, where it uses the strong telekinetic force bluntly, where all the damage comes from the sudden acceleration of the attack? Does it legitimately attack the brain to do the damage? Either way it's done, it's still going to rattle the brain against the inside of the skull. Enough of that energy concentrated into one spot, or enough of that energy hitting you all at once, yeah. It's going to puree your brain, even if you're the Great King of Evil. He may be immortal, but you can still kill him.

Worse still is that Swift is an attack that, while laughable in terms of power, still never misses. And Recover is its single strongest tool in its arsenal. Can't really vouch for Safeguard / Amnesia, but hey, who knows?

Even worse than that is that, as I said before, Ness/Lucas have telekinetic/telepathic/psychokinetic prowess just as Mewtwo does. Have a look at PK Rockin's flavor text:

There's that word again. Psychokinetic attack. Lucas has a variation of it, PK Love, and like Ness can vary the power of it. So, essentially, they can CHOOSE how pureed your brain is going to be before they puree it. So, yeah, Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas are the three strongest entities CURRENTLY PLAYABLE IN SMASH. Are there stronger entities? Definitely, but they're not playable in Smash and therefore pointless to bring up here.
Okay, first of all, nowhere have I ever seen it implied that telekinesis = brain mangling.

Secondly, it's pretty obviously a wave of force. "strong" isn't enough to defeat Ganondorf. Second, Ganondorf can only be hurt by specific powerful items anyway. So no, you can't kill him. And you're just arbitrarily stating that Mewtwo's telekinetic powers are much stronger than is ever stated anywhere. You can't just say that it's enough to kill Ganondorf when NOTHING BACKS THAT UP.

I won't argue that Ness and Lucas aren't powerful, but telekinesis =/= insta-death to everything.

And anyway, Even if, for some reason, Telekinesis could mangle your brain, Samus is resistant to mental powers, and Megaman has no mind to be affected.

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Also, canonically speaking, Greninja can be invincible to all of Mewtwo's moves.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I think it could be argued that at least Mario, Link, and Luigi have strong mental control over their thoughts, as seen in Super Mario Bros. 2, Link's Awakening, and Mario & Luigi Dream Team, respectively. There may be more examples that I don't know of/can't think of right now, though.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Okay, first of all, nowhere have I ever seen it implied that telekinesis = brain mangling.
It's NOT implied that telekinesis is brain mangling. It's just that if you can do it and you can focus enough of it broadly to attack in 'waves' or even bluntly, you can focus it enough into a small enough area to mangle brains. Is it that hard to fathom?

Secondly, it's pretty obviously a wave of force. "strong" isn't enough to defeat Ganondorf. Second, Ganondorf can only be hurt by specific powerful items anyway. So no, you can't kill him. And you're just arbitrarily stating that Mewtwo's telekinetic powers are much stronger than is ever stated anywhere. You can't just say that it's enough to kill Ganondorf when NOTHING BACKS THAT UP.
Pretty obviously a wave of force? Nothing in the flavor text for Psychic says that across every generation. Second, how do you know that Ganondorf can't be brain-mangled? It never comes up 'cause psychics aren't a thing in Hyrule. I'm not just arbitrarily stating that Mewtwo's telekinetic powers are much stronger than is ever stated anywhere. I'm using genuine example.

A vicious psychic Pokémon created by genetic engineering. Its cold, glowing eyes strike fear into its enemy.
Because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, it thinks only of defeating its foes.
Said to rest quietly in an undiscovered cave, this Pokémon was created solely for battling.
It usually remains motionless to conserve energy, so that it may unleash its full power in battle.
Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.
Pretty much every Mewtwo Pokedex entry sums up Mewtwo's power or savagery. Its base stats sum up its power. The guy is made for battle. Ganondorf is strong, yeah, but again, he's not brain-puree strong. You're correct that I can't say it's enough to kill Ganondorf when nothing backs that up, 'cause I have no information to go on besides the fact that Ganondorf has a brain susceptible to psychic attacks that makes him vulnerable to psychics, and nothing describing the Triforce of Power says anything about it, either. I don't have access to mathematics to back it up, I don't have any examples 'cause there are none. At the same time, neither does anyone else. At least I have circumstantial evidence to back it up.

I won't argue that Ness and Lucas aren't powerful, but telekinesis =/= insta-death to everything.
It's insta-death to anything with brain matter.

And anyway, Even if, for some reason, Telekinesis could mangle your brain, Samus is resistant to mental powers, and Megaman has no mind to be affected.
Does this actually come up at all in any Metroid games? If it does, it's probably Prime. I've barely touched those. Even so, I based my picks on how many other Smashers they could handle. I'd say Samus would have a strong chance against Mewtwo, just as lots of other Smashers might.. but at the end of the day, I'd still give the odds to Mewtwo. As for Mega Man, I don't think robots are immune to pure telekinetic force attempting to tear him to shreds. No offense to Mega Man 'cause I loves me some Mega Man, but if he's susceptible to crushing, chances are he's susceptible to being pulled limb from limb with pure, savage telekinetic force.

Just like, y'know, every other Smasher, even if he can't brain-puree them.

Also, canonically speaking, Greninja can be invincible to all of Mewtwo's moves.
Certainly. The Dark typing makes it immune to Psychic, but it doesn't have the strength, speed or longevity Mewtwo has.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
It's insta-death to anything with brain matter.

The Dark typing makes it immune to Psychic.
Two things: That first statement isn't canonically true (as far as I know), so I'd say you need some more circumstancial evidence to back up that claim. I don't disagree, but just saying.

Also, Ganondorf is a master of dark magic. Does that make him a "dark" type? I would do it if I were at a computer, but I suggest looking at a clairifcation of the typing system on Bulbapedia to see if that makes sense (calling Gdorf a Dark type).

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Never, anywhere is it stated that psychic type attacks attack the brain directly.

The X/Y Pokedex
The target is hit by a strong, telekinetic force
It doesn't say "The target's brain". It doesn't say "Is torn to shreds with mental power". It says "hit with a strong force." Punching someone is hitting them with a strong force.

All those Pokedex entries say is that it's pretty dang strong. Not "strong enough to instantly destroy the living definition of power who is CANONICALLY INVINCIBLE TO EVERYTHING BUT THE MASTER SWORD/LIGHT ARROWS." Not "The most powerful thing ever automatically who overrides any super murder abilities anyone else has." No. It implies Mewtwo is pretty tough. That's it.

Clogon

Smash Rookie
I think we should all confer to which natural abilities, EVs, IVs, nature, moves, etc. Mewtwo has in a battle. Now canonically he would only have four moves, so we need to decide which ones would be best for a fight with the other Smash Characters.
Why should he only have 4 moves? In the anime he uses plenty of different moves. Canon does not mean only in video games.

Certainly. The Dark typing makes it immune to Psychic, but it doesn't have the strength, speed or longevity Mewtwo has.
Again Miracle Eye removes psychic immunity. Nothing is immune to Mewtwo's psychic attacks.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
In the case of Pokémon, that's exactly what canon means.
Except storyline should take precedence over gameplay mechanics, therefore the 4 move rule shouldn't really be considered when the anime shows time and time again that a pokemon can have more than 4 moves.

EDIT: @Gameboi just because the canon might be completely stupid at times and stuff like that should just be ignored, that doesn't dismiss the entirety of the anime as a canon source.

Last edited:

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Except storyline should take precedence over gameplay mechanics, therefore the 4 move rule shouldn't really be considered when the anime shows time and time again that a pokemon can have more than 4 moves.
THE ANIME
IS
NOT
CANON!

Look at the thread title.

Look at again.

Do you see the word.

"Canonically"

Say it in your head. "Canonically"

Now say it slowly out loud. "Caaaanoooooniiiicallllllyyyy"

Got it? Good.

Now repeat after me.

The Anime is not canon.

The Anime will never be canon.

The Anime has nothing to do with this discussion.

I will stop bringing up the Anime because it is not canon.

Also, nearly every Pokémon in the anime has only 4 moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
@Gameboi just because the canon might be completely stupid at times and stuff like that should just be ignored, that doesn't dismiss the entirety of the anime as a canon source.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Canon

Then choose which is canon, because Bulbapedia, the premiere source of Pokemon knowledge, states that the anime and games are two seperate canon. One is quantifiable, consistent, and easy to use to debate with, the other has Pikachu defying type advantages.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
THE ANIME
IS
NOT
CANON!

Look at the thread title.

Look at again.

Do you see the word.

"Canonically"

Say it in your head. "Canonically"

Now say it slowly out loud. "Caaaanoooooniiiicallllllyyyy"

Got it? Good.

Now repeat after me.

The Anime is not canon.

The Anime will never be canon.

The Anime has nothing to do with this discussion.

I will stop bringing up the Anime because it is not canon.
Is there anything that actually says the anime is not canon? What is and isn't canon is defined by the owner of the intellectual property, unless you have a quote from Gamefreak that says otherwise, I'll assert that it should be taken into consideration, and the amount of evidence to support that Mewtwo is canonically the strongest character means absolute jack ****. And most=/=all so no, I do not think we should view the 4 move limit as anything other than a game mechanic for all fairness, as it leaves way too many questions, such as: would Mewtwo/Pikachu/Whatever be able to beat -insert character- with this move instead of this one?

EDIT: @Gameboi and the other, the anime, is the only way to get any actual reliable measure of the pokemon's actual physical capabilities and feats. Just because they're separate canons in the sense that they follow separate stories, does not mean they aren't in the same universe.

Last edited:

Clogon

Smash Rookie
If you are going to bring game balance limitations in, then which version of Ganondorf would you use? Remember it is Ganon that is invulnerable NOT Ganondorf. Even then Ganon in the most recent Zelda game got assimilated. So much for being only affected by the master sword and arrows of light.

Last edited:
Top Bottom