• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
So.. Rosalina vs national pokedex trainer.

Both are humans who have used technology and other things to ascend into a very powerfully being.

Rosalina has control over the universe and created the Big Bang in Mario universe... Although in the beginning how could she lose to bowser? Did she lose on purpose because ???... (Mario games were never logical)

But national pokedex trainer has captured.... God Da F***.

I say national pokedex trainer wins- with technology he has control over something that created a universe and everything in it.
Rosalina didn't want to sacrifice the Lumas. I believe she wanted a slow, safe victory rather than a fast costly one, the Lumas are her babies. Ganon can still die, even if he is immortal. I came into this thread late, so don't bully me around like a bunch of dumb faces.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Honestly, considering these other than their normal power levels (i.e. not while Mario has a star that makes him invincible) is going to result in stupid arguments.

Considering them as they are with their typical equipment (not ultimate weapons only available at the end of the game or during certain parts of the game) and it's clear that Sonic is weaker, or at least no stronger than most of the characters. But if Super Sonic is considered, then you might as well consider Mario with a star, because canonically no enemy can harm Mario when he has a star. And Fierce Deity Link, or Link at the end of the game when he has the Triforce, or Ganon with the Triforce and shaping the Dark World to his whims, etc. etc.

So many video games allow their protagonists to go "super saiyan" or whatever that this kind of argument has no real resolution. Video game logic isn't even as rigorous as even most comic books... and they don't live in comparable universes.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Honestly, considering these other than their normal power levels (i.e. not while Mario has a star that makes him invincible) is going to result in stupid arguments.

Considering them as they are with their typical equipment (not ultimate weapons only available at the end of the game or during certain parts of the game) and it's clear that Sonic is weaker, or at least no stronger than most of the characters. But if Super Sonic is considered, then you might as well consider Mario with a star, because canonically no enemy can harm Mario when he has a star. And Fierce Deity Link, or Link at the end of the game when he has the Triforce, or Ganon with the Triforce and shaping the Dark World to his whims, etc. etc.

So many video games allow their protagonists to go "super saiyan" or whatever that this kind of argument has no real resolution. Video game logic isn't even as rigorous as even most comic books... and they don't live in comparable universes.
There is no rule saying they can't use their ultimate equipment. We don't want a pathetic battle, we want a strong one.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Technically, the Lumas reset the universe.

[citation needed]
Luma and Rosalina are one of the same character in Smash Bros., so you have to consider both a Luma and Rosalina's canonical powers together when talking about their strength as a character. /saved

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
There is no rule saying they can't use their ultimate equipment. We don't want a pathetic battle, we want a strong one.
Except it only becomes a pathetic battle for Sonic. Sonic in himself is not that powerful, but add the Chaos Emeralds and that suddenly reflects Sonic's inherent abilities? ...Like I said, we might as well say we're talking about Link at the end of the game, after he's acquired the Triforce.

There are too many all-powerful relics in these games, and arguing about whether the Triforce or the Chaos Emeralds are more powerful is pointless as the limits of their powers are never clearly defined.

Samus's Power Suit is her basic equipment. With her basic equipment (much less her typical arsenal acquired in the game), Samus is clearly more powerful than Sonic. Give her the Chaos Emeralds and she'd beat the snot out of whoever too.

Ganondorf always has the Triforce of Power and is a powerful sorceror in his own right. In A Link to the Past he has the full Triforce and has total dominion over the Dark World.

Mega Man can absorb all sorts of Robot Master powers... including some that kill enemies instantly.

Sonic and Mario and others don't typically battle against people with psychic powers, like Mewtwo or Ness. So why would we assume they have resistance to those abilties?

Yada yada. Which ultimate power is the most ultimate? It probably just boils down to which character you like more because they never interact with similar things in their canon. The good guys win, that's all we see.

Hence why it's easier to come to a decision when talking about their more normal abilities.
Luma and Rosalina are one of the same character in Smash Bros., so you have to consider both a Luma and Rosalina's canonical powers together when talking about their strength as a character. /saved
Rosalina only has one Luma at a time in Smash Bros. She can't do all that with just one Luma...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure canonically wii fit trainer isn't any more powerful than any personal trainer at your local gym

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, I remember when this exact discussion happened in the BR and MUs and everything. I always argued for Ness and Lucas because they can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dya2SsHyQ&t=12m9s

Oh also Ness turns into a fire-breathing dragon in Earthbound. So there's that.

I dunno, he reminds me a lot of Akira, which is absolutely hectic (for anyone that's seen the movie you'll know what I mean). Anyone that can do that level of stuff seems to me to be able to win most fights they can go into.

Ness also wins against Ganondorf which i'm happy about. :D

But back on to the current discussion, I think Sheik should be able to win the MU considering she can blink to places to avoid sunbeams and also is probably a more proficient fighter than your average trainer.

Then again, both would have to know a lot about anatomy, and coming from someone who knows over 10 ways to kill someone with his bare hands in more or less a single strike (it was over 10 when I last counted but practically I can only think of a few off the top of my head), I can tell you that if it came down to that it'd probably go to whoever was quicker.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
It is arguable that WFT has maybe some sort of exercise/meditative martial art like judo or tai chi (not sure if this is accurate) but Sheik has flash bombs, smoke bombs, arrows, and probably a bunch of other ninja stuff in addition to being fit, so Sheik wins. Also for some reason I keep picturing WFT running after Sheik trying to bash him over the head with a medicine ball.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I'll just put in my take on it via tier list. I am biased and haven't even played every series the characters are in.

Tier S
Ness - I actually never played Earthbound. I just really like the idea that Ness is this powerful.

Tier A
Kirby
Olimar with Hocotate Tech - Eternal Fuel Dynamo, Nova Blaster... this is assuming he had pocket versions. With his iconic gear, i.e. the Pikmin, he would be way down.
Pit
Ike
Link/Young Link/Toon Link - Ganon really seems stronger but his track record with Link shows.
Ganondorf
Marth/Roy - Killed Dark Dragons who were almost powerful as gods. Ike killed a real one.
Samus
King Dedede
Metaknight
Pokemon Trainer - Above all Pokemon for obvious reasons.

Tier B
Mewtwo - All pokemon are relatively ridiculous canonically, well, the fully evolved ones. Ubers are stronger but not by too much, it is not as exaggerated like in the anime.
Lucario
Charizard
Sonic
Mega Man
Mario/Dr. Mario
Luigi
Wario
Bowser
Yoshi

Tier C
Fox/Falco/Wolf - Arwings are banned, but they seem capable as long as they have gear. Never played their games.
Greninja - Great but isn't ridiculous without a Mega.
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong - Slightly weaker than Donkey, because he has trouble damaging the fat/burly enemies in the Country games. Otherwise, they are almost identical.
Zero-Suit Samus
Captain Falcon - Don't know too much about him. Basing on the fact that he's a bounty hunter in a futuristic setting. If he had the gear, he could be pretty powerful. Not basing off of that Anime Falcon Punch meme, otherwise he'd be high A.
Snake - I'm not too certain of his capabilities, but he seems extremely resourceful.
Little Mac
Pikachu - With a lightball, it has a chance to be compared with Fully Evolved Pokes.

Tier D
Ivysaur
Ice Climbers
Wii Fit Trainer
Squirtle
Jigglypuff - I'd say basics and babies are about on par with normal humans in terms of power level.
Pichu
Peach - Can be not useless, i.e. Super Princess Peach, SMB2, but her track record as being super useless takes precedence.
Zelda/Shiek - Her incarnations can be very powerful, in theory, but just like Peach, her track record says she has potential but would rather just hide behind/inside crystals.

Tier Get Eaten Alive
Villager
Olimar with Iconic Gear - Too small to make a difference. Don't get me wrong, he can kill things 100x his size, like the size of a cat.
ROB - It's a toy. Olimar can salvage that.

Tier I have no clue
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Rosalina & Luma

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
I
I made a list way back when
S tier
:ganondorfmelee:
:mewtwopm:
:rosalina:
A tier.

:sonic:
:ness:
:bowser2:
:ike:
:samusmelee:
:kirbymelee:
:mario2:
:luigi2:
Rockman
:pt:
:metaknight:

B tier

:lucas:
:zeldamelee:
:link2:
:younglinkmelee:
Toon link

:pit:
:fox:
:wolf:
:falcomelee:
C tier
:warioc:
:snake:
:marthmelee:
:roymelee:

:pikachumelee:
:dedede:
:sheikmelee:
:drmario:
WIi fit trainer
:jigglypuffmelee:
:zerosuitsamus:
D tier
:rob:
:pichumelee:
:icsmelee:
Villager
:gawmelee:
I kinda disagree with the placemt of lucas since over the course of the game he does get really strong

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Just wanted to make a small case for ROB. In real life he may be a plastic toy, but canonically he's a highly sophisticated robot.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
That's one crappy immortality.
He's not immortal, he just reincarnates into someone else when he dies.
Except it only becomes a pathetic battle for Sonic. Sonic in himself is not that powerful, but add the Chaos Emeralds and that suddenly reflects Sonic's inherent abilities? ...Like I said, we might as well say we're talking about Link at the end of the game, after he's acquired the Triforce.

There are too many all-powerful relics in these games, and arguing about whether the Triforce or the Chaos Emeralds are more powerful is pointless as the limits of their powers are never clearly defined.

Samus's Power Suit is her basic equipment. With her basic equipment (much less her typical arsenal acquired in the game), Samus is clearly more powerful than Sonic. Give her the Chaos Emeralds and she'd beat the snot out of whoever too.

Ganondorf always has the Triforce of Power and is a powerful sorceror in his own right. In A Link to the Past he has the full Triforce and has total dominion over the Dark World.

Mega Man can absorb all sorts of Robot Master powers... including some that kill enemies instantly.

Sonic and Mario and others don't typically battle against people with psychic powers, like Mewtwo or Ness. So why would we assume they have resistance to those abilties?

Yada yada. Which ultimate power is the most ultimate? It probably just boils down to which character you like more because they never interact with similar things in their canon. The good guys win, that's all we see.

Hence why it's easier to come to a decision when talking about their more normal abilities.

Rosalina only has one Luma at a time in Smash Bros. She can't do all that with just one Luma...
i think we should explain which ganon we're talking about because it is a bit unfair to treat all the ganons as one person, he is not the same person all the time. How about we just go with the strongest incarnation?

Tthe rule should be that the character has used that item at least once before, because if we make Ness teleport to Hyrule or Skyworld for a holy weapon he has never used, THAT WOULD BE CHEAP! FE characters can use any weapon as long as it's usable in their alternate or base class. Pokemon trainer can just switch out with the PC, he doesn't need to have Charizard, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur all the time.

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
For WFT versus Shiek, WFT I would say is at the peak physical strength for a human being.

Shiek is canonically fast and has smoke bombs.

WFT wins, I'd say.

If we went by ultimate forms, then everybody dies instantly because wishes. Also OoT Link could remain invincible for days on end, and only dragons can attack Marth.

He's not immortal, he just reincarnates into someone else when he dies.
Um, no. No he doesn't.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sheik is Zelda, rigtht?

Anything Zelda can do, Sheik can do

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
For WFT versus Shiek, WFT I would say is at the peak physical strength for a human being.

Shiek is canonically fast and has smoke bombs.

WFT wins, I'd say.

If we went by ultimate forms, then everybody dies instantly because wishes. Also OoT Link could remain invincible for days on end, and only dragons can attack Marth.

Um, no. No he doesn't.
What about Malladus, Bellum, Majoras Mask, and Vatti are all reincarnations of Demise. Ganon is just the most common form. Demises hate for the goddess Hylia takes on many different forms...

...Never mind, I forgot that he didn't really die, he was just imprisoned. I'm pretty sure he died in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What about Malladus, Bellum, Majoras Mask, and Vatti are all reincarnations of Demise. Ganon is just the most common form. Demises hate for the goddess Hylia takes on many different forms...

...Never mind, I forgot that he didn't really die, he was just imprisoned. I'm pretty sure he died in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.
How could Majora's Mask be an incarnation of Demise when Majora's Mask has a backstory going thousands of years back, which would mean it would be around during times when some of those other incarnations were still alive

Not to mention during Majora's mask, Ganon is imprisoned

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice

I did the math, and even if he did die in TP and Wind Waker, Vaati and Majora couldn't be incarnations, as Vaati comes before Ganondorf timeline wise, and Majora existed in Termina for a long time before Link arrived. Bellum and Malladus could be reincarnations of Demise, I suppose. But that doesn't mean Gdorf isn't immortal. Immortal just means that he can't die of natural causes.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
How could Majora's Mask be an incarnation of Demise when Majora's Mask has a backstory going thousands of years back, which would mean it would be around during times when some of those other incarnations were still alive

Not to mention during Majora's mask, Ganon is imprisoned
Fine. I wasn't really thinking anyway, but I still think that every Zelda villain is incarnation of Demise hate for Hylia, Ganon was busy at the moment so he awakened another evil to get revenge, either that or Link is in purgatory, or as you said it wasn't influenced by Demise in anyway.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
does it have to be a playable character?

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I did the math, and even if he did die in TP and Wind Waker, Vaati and Majora couldn't be incarnations, as Vaati comes before Ganondorf timeline wise, and Majora existed in Termina for a long time before Link arrived. Bellum and Malladus could be reincarnations of Demise, I suppose. But that doesn't mean Gdorf isn't immortal. Immortal just means that he can't die of natural causes.
Ganon didn't need to exist yet for Vatti to be an incarnation. Vatti is still alive after OoT Ganondorf. One form of Demises can still exist if there is another. Majora can very well be another form of the demons hate for the goddess. But we're talking about Ganon right now, so only he should be applied. Saying Majora, Demise, Vatti, Malladus, and Bellum are the exact same Ganon is dumb. More than one Demise incarnate can exist at a time. There is only one Ganon as he never really died until Twilight Princess and supposedly Wind Waker. Ganondorf is not immortal and does not reincarnate, although he can be resurrected. After he dies another form of Demise will take his place, even if that form was created before or during Ganons time.

R.I.P. top tier Rosalina, can't create universes or galaxies.

Who ever ruined Rosalina's image is going to get a punch in the nose. Why did you have to look up the official SMG plot!

WHY!!!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'll just put in my take on it via tier list. I am biased and haven't even played every series the characters are in.

Tier S
Ness - I actually never played Earthbound. I just really like the idea that Ness is this powerful.

Tier A
Kirby
Olimar with Hocotate Tech - Eternal Fuel Dynamo, Nova Blaster... this is assuming he had pocket versions. With his iconic gear, i.e. the Pikmin, he would be way down.
Pit
Ike
Link/Young Link/Toon Link - Ganon really seems stronger but his track record with Link shows.
Ganondorf
Marth/Roy - Killed Dark Dragons who were almost powerful as gods. Ike killed a real one.
Samus
King Dedede
Metaknight

Tier B
Mewtwo - All pokemon are relatively ridiculous canonically, well, the fully evolved ones. Ubers are stronger but not by too much, it is not as exaggerated like in the anime.
Lucario
Charizard
Sonic
Mega Man
Mario/Dr. Mario
Luigi
Wario
Bowser
Yoshi

Tier C
Fox/Falco/Wolf - Arwings are banned, but they seem capable as long as they have gear. Never played their games.
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong - Slightly weaker than Donkey, because he has trouble damaging the fat/burly enemies in the Country games. Otherwise, they are almost identical.
Zero-Suit Samus
Captain Falcon - Don't know too much about him. Basing on the fact that he's a bounty hunter in a futuristic setting. If he had the gear, he could be pretty powerful. Not basing off of that Anime Falcon Punch meme, otherwise he'd be high A.
Snake - I'm not too certain of his capabilities, but he seems extremely resourceful.
Little Mac
Pikachu - With a lightball, it has a chance to be compared with Fully Evolved Pokes.

Tier D
Ivysaur
Ice Climbers
Wii Fit Trainer
Squirtle
Jigglypuff - I'd say basics and babies are about on par with normal humans in terms of power level.
Pichu
Peach - Can be not useless, i.e. Super Princess Peach, SMB2, but her track record as being super useless takes precedence.
Zelda/Shiek - Her incarnations can be very powerful, in theory, but just like Peach, her track record says she has potential but would rather just hide behind/inside crystals.

Tier Get Eaten Alive
Villager
Olimar with Iconic Gear - Too small to make a difference. Don't get me wrong, he can kill things 100x his size, like the size of a cat.

Tier I have no clue
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Rosalina & Luma
I'd say Lucas is at least A or B tier.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

Tier S
i like Pie.

Tier A
Kirby
Pit
Ike
Ganondorf
Samus
King Dedede
Metaknight

Tier B
Lucario
Charizard
Sonic
Mega Man
Mario/Dr. Mario
Luigi
Wario
Bowser
Yoshi

Tier C
Donkey Kong
Zero-Suit Samus
Little Mac

Tier D
Ivysaur
Ice Climbers
Wii Fit Trainer
Squirtle
Pichu

Tier Get Eaten Alive
Villager

Tier I have no clue
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Rosalina & Luma
Arwings aren't banned! As long as it's an item that they've used before or can use within their series, they can use it!!!!!!

Little Mac knocked out DK before, how is he below him?

You know that Wario, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina can all use Marios powerups. I'm not telling you that I think those placements are wrong but you should consider that they have used those items before too. All baby, non legendary, or first stage pokemon that can evolve but haven't should be really low. Those Pokemon could get beat up by a typical Mario or Zelda enemy.

King Dedede is a bad fighter and sucks at everything. That fat penguin has no special or notable abilities.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
How is Ness>Mewtwo
if Mewtwo,
based on Giegue, who is invincible (except for love) should be, well stronger?
Does that mean Ness can defeat the invincible?

Edit: For people with no comprehension skills... I made it easier to understand

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
How is Ness>Mewtwo if Mewtwo is based on Giegue, who was invincible except for love (never played the Mother games, sorry, but I have to say, nice concept!)and in the end, is actually Giygas?
what?

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
How is Ness>Mewtwo if Mewtwo is based on Giegue, who was invincible except for love (never played the Mother games, sorry, but I have to say, nice concept!)and in the end, is actually Giygas?
Mewtwo does not equal Giygas. They just look like each other.

Giygas is hundreds of times stronger than any playable character in Smash, including Ness and Mewtwo.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Mewtwo does not equal Giygas. They just look like each other.

Giygas is hundreds of times stronger than any playable character in Smash, including Ness and Mewtwo.
he's also and alien that was corruted by george and maria so if not for them he would be unstopable

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
he's also and alien that was corruted by george and maria so if not for them he would be unstopable
Well I wouldn't say "corrupted" because by our moral standards it's more like purified, but yeah they did kinda give him his only weakness.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Being invincible. You are protected from all known attacks or weapons or EVERYTHING. If someone brings a weapon from another world than there is a chance it will be able to pierce this affect. Are you going to protect yourself from fire with a wooden shield? Would Narutos Chakra be on par with Gokus Ki. Some gaming worlds use different types of energy, so an invincible character from one world may be susceptible to an attack from another, different world.

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Being invincible. You are protected from all known attacks or weapons or EVERYTHING. If someone brings a weapon from another world than there is a chance it will be able to pierce this affect. Are you going to protect yourself from fire with a wooden shield? Would Narutos Chakra be on par with Gokus Ki. Some gaming worlds use different types of energy, so an invincible character from one world may be susceptible to an attack from another, different world.
If you're referring to Giygas, no Nintendo character could possibly even survive an encounter with him to use some other weapon. The only exception I could think of is Arceus, since he's basically the antithesis to Giygas.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
If you're referring to Giygas, no Nintendo character could possibly even survive an encounter with him to use some other weapon. The only exception I could think of is Arceus, since he's basically the antithesis to Giygas.
I'm referring to everyone in general.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I like how this is one of the best discussion threads we have because this issue is literally NEVER gonna be resolved.

Also people above brought up that Rosalina has access to only one Luma at a time in Smash, but keep in mind that CANONICALLY she has an entire army of the buggers.

Top Bottom