• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whooo one Marth vid. Rate it or something

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Love that fair offstage usage Ankoku. Do you use any others besides Sheik and Marth? B/c I would love to see.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Occasionally. But mostly Sheik and Marth. I'll consider picking up Peach if I ever play this game more than like... once a month.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
K let's see here..

Vs Olimar you have to rely almost solely on short hop approaches. You did just that, which was good. However sir, when ever you approached you were never really in a safe position once you landed. It seemed like you would rely on the double fair approach, which is quite ****. Double fair is great as a wall, but when you approach with it it's very unsafe. I question the olimars skill since he barely punished you for it.

I'd also suggest implementing the up b out of shield into your game, as i would to all marths.

Nothing more really to say, pretty good other than that.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Was it just me, or did that Olimar get gimped really easily. Most Olimar's I've played have retardedly good DI skills and use of super armor/airdodge.

Still your gimping skills are win.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Was it just me, or did that Olimar get gimped really easily. Most Olimar's I've played have retardedly good DI skills and use of super armor/airdodge.

Still your gimping skills are win.
we play in NY our Snake's, Olimar's, and DonkeyKongs, are toptier.

e__

Smash Ace
Occasionally. But mostly Sheik and Marth. I'll consider picking up Peach if I ever play this game more than like... once a month.
I thought you played it once for every time you changed your avatar.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I change my avatar way more than I actually play this game.

I was doing lots of SH double fair approach to run away because the Olimar was trying to go for easy combos off of grabs so I wanted to mess around with him.

∫unk

Smash Master
your playstyle reminds me of mine at the beginning of the summer.

unfortunately it doesn't work against anyone with decent aerials. at least that's my experience.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Eh not bad. A work in progress. Learn to use your special moves, and to space your Dtilt. Dolphin Slash outta shield is **** (tap jump needed), Dancing Blade is the answer to the world's problems, and I got mad that you never used counter against that horrible Wolf Player.

Also, basic stuff like Fthrow to Fsmash at 0-4% and Fthrowchain at low percents need to emerge in your game. Lastly, you need to master zoning with Fair and Nair (mostly Fair)

Lots of work, but you have decent basics.

Desire

Smash Journeyman
ur marth is very aggressive. good spacing, but fair all the time=fails.
aggressive,, just like meh :D

add some Nair D tilt?
btw ur gimpin skills r beasty,,

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
How long is "a bit?"
I'm sorry. I've actually been ill lately, and I put this off. I didn't forget though. I'll rate the Diddy Vid (just watched it, and go watch the others)

You're pretty good, and pretty smart, so I'm not going to bother buttering things up.

Contrary to what a previous poster said, you use aerials very well. Keep that up.

Your edge-guarding fails. I'll link you to my edge-guarding thread later. Neither charged Fsmash or charge Shieldbreaker is a viable edgeguard. Maybe once on your opponent's last stock, if they're playing aggressive, and you've not done this, to catch them by surprise, but YOU KNOW good players aren't going to fall into this.

Vs. Diddy, not so much, but you could stand to use a little more tilts.

Dancing Blade is ****! Use it more.
Dolphin Slash outta shield is good. Shield drop to Dsmash was nice, but less reliable, being much slower (not slow, but slower in comparison).

Learn to walk. Seriously. Every time Diddy failed to recovery, you should've owned him with a tipper Fsmash..

And where was your Glidetossing? Marth's GT is >>>>>> Diddy's GT

You did well, your opponent's Diddy was . . . eh. You've got lots of cleaning up to do, but you seem solid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vs Yoshi 1:

You did very well. Slightly off spacing but no one is perfect, your Fair zoning was excellent, just add in more Dancing Blade punishment and viola! You have ze recipe for rapesauce.

When Yoshi is hit low (like below level with FD) immediate rush him. There is no such thing as super armor vs a footstool, and this will kill Yoshi at ANY PERCENTAGE. I have killed Pride's Yoshi in tourney at 9% with this tactic. Eggs will rebuff this, but this Yoshi did not use them for recovery appropriately.

You learned the value of counter halfway through the match. There were a few more times to use it, like when Yoshi DownB from like the top of the screen like a fool, but overall, it was pretty good.

Despite your opponent's epic failure, you did very well in this match, except a few minor details. Nice job!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vs Yoshi 2

Maybe two mistakes in the whole first stock, excellent opening, you dominated your opponent . . . .

Then you throw it away with a taunt, killing all of your momentum. Naturally, I'm going to fuss at you. You dumb n00b, lol. You know better Ankoku. Your lead was reduced by 60 percent, and then eliminated by a footstool.

I will compliment you on your superb patience with Usmash edgeguards.

Tell your opponent to stop SDing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vs Yoshi 3

Now for some advanced pointers.

You're in the n00b habit of throwing moves that you realized might have worked before your opponent acted. See:
0:07 for the useless dtilt
0:21 for the useless utilt
0:24 for the useless ftilt (or jab, I'm not sure, lol)
1:28 for the useless Usmash
1:59 for the useless Dancing Blade

Don't throw attacks that can't hit. In the very beginning, run off shield breaker was your best option.

Pointless RD at 19 seconds. You ate a jab for no reason.
Spacing is important to land tippers and such, but commit a bit more to your Fairs sometime. Hitting is still more important than zoning. See 0:28 for an example.

Nice mindgames, but wtf with shield breaker at 0:39??? You're really not good with that move. Stop using it for now.

. . . what were you thinking at 0:41? He was off target. Fair, Nair, Fsmash, Utilt, Usmash, Dtilt, Ftilt, Dsmash, RARBair, Uair, Counter, Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash, Shield Breaker, Jab, shield grab . . . wait a minute . . . ANY OF YOUR MOVES would've hit him here. Stop hesitating and second guessing yourself. This is similar to you holding back with your Fairs, and retreating all of them when you have a clear shot sometime. Learn to recognize openings better.

You had two opportunities to counter before 0:51. Stop hesitating. I'm not saying to play more aggressive, just don't second guess yourself so much.

At 1:03, you should have reactively Dolphin Slashed outta shield. Practice this.

1:05, good reverse Dancing Blade, just learn your spacing to know the last hit would miss. If you absolutely must use it, stall it, and throw the Down version as a mindgame/trap, after they think you're done and try to rush in and punish.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant to Fair at 1:06, and not Fsmash at 1:07.

1:14, panicky players are good on defense, as you didn't get hit, but they don't win tourneys. Become more reactive. Yoshi's Ground Pound telegraphs, and Marth has lots of priority with his sword. Counter or Uair. Your opponent was able to take your bad reaction, and trap you, by following up with a very well placed jab.

1:16, GOOD JOB!

1:20, why'd you approach the edge? If it was an accident, you should've WALKED to reset your position, instead of giving Yoshi a chance to take advantage.

I'm going to guess that at 1:25 you were trying to bait out an airdodge, but your opponent didn't comply, so it messed up the spacing on your Bair, which punished Yoshi's bair instead of air-dodge, and that's why you didn't tipper. Nice job all the same, good patience here. Empty jump, pseudo approaches help to bait out the airdodge.

What the hell where you doing at 1:27 - 1:29? If Yoshi is that high, he's coming back. What you want to do is claim the CENTER of the stage, and make it difficult for him to land, and punish with Dsmash outta walk (advanced, requires pro-timing to hit in the landing lag, but works wonders), and Dancing Blade. Actually, this is where shield breaker ground zoning comes into play, but I'll talk about that in the thread I make later.

1:36, Nice perfect shield to Dsmash. Best option.

1:47, Both jabs, or a dtilt after would've been nice. Still, good push, and good mindgames.

1:48/1:49, WTF. Challange your opponent! You're Marth! A well spaced Fair should beat out his Bair. Better yet, he had like 0 options (unless he's super pro and B reversals, but I've never seen a Yoshi that does that, I should pick up Yoshi, lol) You could've countered! At worst, he would've airdodged nothing, and you could've went from there. You retreating Naired, but a player of your skill should know Yoshi could not have possibly hit you from there. Once again, you played TOO safe, and didn't commit when your opponent was open.

1:56. OMG <3. That cross-up Fsmash was SO SEXY!

2:00. I literally facepalmed, and watched it 10 times. The best thing I can say to you about that is, commit to errors, instead of making more errors. Once you realized you screwed yourself over, you should have reversed Dolphin Slashed to at least hit Yoshi. Also, if you committed to that Fair, it could have connected, and won the match in a really sexy way.

2:09, You punish the worst RD in the match with . . . a sidestep? WTF? Dancing blade madu! After such a critical error of leaving yourself open . . . you leave yourself open MORE, by not jumping or rolling away.

2:21, I'm not sure if you're lucky, or good, or just cool, but that SECOND tipper fsmash made me cream myself.

. . . I'm just gonna ignore all the stupid stuff you did after that up until 2:46. You are aware that Marth's dtilt locks against a wall, right? You even had the dthrow set up!

2:50, sweet edge-hog for game.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow, good ****. Thanks for all the advice (and pointing out when I turn off my mind in favor of pressing random buttons, lol), I'll be sure to keep this stuff in mind... and MAYBE play more aggressively next time, now that I've gotten more of a feel for the vs Yoshi matchup.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah, no problem. Just let me know . . . or rather, I'll see when you have any more matches you want me to critique. You aren't completely fail, being an experienced smasher, so you're right around the category that's good for me to analyze. Sorry for taking so long again. I didn't mean to, but I kinda just nodded off in my chair after exhausting myself from trying to deal with all of my SWF choirs (lol) and I can't even remember when I dragged myself to bed in my clothes. Next time, I'll get back to you more promptly (hopefully)

EDIT: I forgot to say what I had forgotten to say, lol.

You never grab. Fthrow to Fthrow to Fsmash from 0 is TOO good. Use it. There's other stuff to use as well, but it's okay if you don't really try and capitalize on Marth's pitiful throws. Fthrow just leads to a really good situation. It's not entirely bad that you don't use Marth's grab range, especially since you play Marth and Shiek, and neither have stellar throws if I remember correctly (I dabble in Shiek/Zelda), but make sure you don't get owned by smart opponents that like to shield a lot, since your use of ShieldBreaker is indeed subpar. Well spaced retreating Fairs (the ones you (and the rest of us) love so much) should solve this problem.

EDIT 4 (lol): Post some matches of you losing. Don't worry, I'll only jeer at you about the same amount as I do when you're winning lol.

No seriously, it gives me more space to show you how to improve. I might overlook telling you where you should've tipper fsmashed instead of Dancing Bladed (that's a personal bad habit of mine, because Dancing Blade is so safe and reliable) in matches that you win all the time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, it's not recorded, but in later games I played around with fthrow > fthrow > fair > fair > dj nair from 0%.

Both Marth and Sheik have EXCELLENT grabs. o_o I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll post matches of me losing as soon as I manage to record one, lol. By the time Scala took a game from me it was about 30 minutes after I had stopped recording.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, it's not recorded, but in later games I played around with fthrow > fthrow > fair > fair > dj nair from 0%.

Both Marth and Sheik have EXCELLENT grabs. o_o I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll post matches of me losing as soon as I manage to record one, lol. By the time Scala took a game from me it was about 30 minutes after I had stopped recording.
No, Marth has good set-ups for his grabs, and decent standing grab range (third best actually), but his grabs are still not stellar. When they're free, an Fthrow is awesome, but don't stress over it. To put it shortly, Marth's grab rewards are decent in positioning, if not immediate damage, but the risk vs. reward factor is actually not that great most of the time.

I can't speak for Sheik as much, as I merely dabble in Sheik, and I'm sure you could definitely school me in that character.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I play with the concept that a throw should do one of three things
1 Kill outright,
2 Set up for a followup, or
3 Get them off the stage.

For example:
Marth kind of has a 1 (uthrow), two 2s (fthrow, dthrow), and a 3 (bthrow).
Sheik has three 2s (fthrow, dthrow, uthrow), and a 3 (bthrow).
Peach has a weak 1 (fthrow), a 2 (dthrow), and a 3 (bthrow).
Ness has a ridiculous 1 (bthrow), and a 2 (dthrow).

Overall, Marth seems well-rounded, if not the best in any particular throw type.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I play with the concept that a throw should do one of three things
1 Kill outright,
2 Set up for a followup, or
3 Get them off the stage.

For example:
Marth kind of has a 1 (uthrow), two 2s (fthrow, dthrow), and a 3 (bthrow).
Sheik has three 2s (fthrow, dthrow, uthrow), and a 3 (bthrow).
Peach has a weak 1 (fthrow), a 2 (dthrow), and a 3 (bthrow).
Ness has a ridiculous 1 (bthrow), and a 2 (dthrow).

Overall, Marth seems well-rounded, if not the best in any particular throw type.
Uthrow doesn't kill till like 200. It is good for Juggling though.

Fthrow and Dthrow are good set-ups, but nothing to break your back over, as I said.

NEVER USE Bthrow. Dthrow is better in almost every way (except I keep forgetting to check if Bthrow has less lag on heavy characters, since Dthrow has increased lag)

And his throws rarely send you off the map, and do pitiful damage. Seriously, they're mediocre, we just make up for it.

Top Bottom