• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you want as a 3rd playable character?

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Fun question: if we got a third playable Castlevania character, who would you want?

If you answered Alucard, pick a fourth, because that's too easy.

My fav game in recent memory has been Order of Ecclesia, so I'd vote for Shanoa. I love her visual/color design, well-socialized personality, and being one of the very few female CV protagonists. Mechanically she'd be an interesting addition to Smash, with her dual-wielding weapons, 3-way quick-change equipment builds, walk-through-walls ability, and a stamina/cooldown system allowing a good damage dump when she gets an opening.

You?

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Since Alucard is an Assist Trophy I will go with Soma Cruz as 3rd Castlevania Character

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd probably go with Soma Cruz too seeing as Alucard is too easy of a choice. He's a potential reincarnation vessel for Dracula himself and he has the Soul System at his disposal allowing for his own set of skills to be brought to the table.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Soma Cruz. He's my favourite character and he'd have too many moves to pick from. You could pick the most "iconic" souls to use as his specials or even normals.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
PFT, so many people choosing the obvious

I would say a duo character in Jonathan and Charlotte from Castlevania: Portraite of Ruin. The partner theme behind them would be a nice addition. Maybe make them a hybrid of Pokemon Trainer and Zelda/Sheik. One is in the foreground doing the fighting, the other is in the background while performing support skills. If one is killed, the other comes out to help, so each stock actually grants them two.a unique feature just for them.

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that no one has said Dracula yet; his boss moveset is so iconic and while Alucard certainly gives a taste of that, getting the full thing in Smash would be a ton of fun. Soma or Shanoa could be lots of fun too though.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Maria Renard, because I want to see them make a move-list out of holy element singing and summoning creatures to help her fight. Also because she's friends with Richter.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I'd probably go with Soma Cruz too seeing as Alucard is too easy of a choice. He's a potential reincarnation vessel for Dracula himself and he has the Soul System at his disposal allowing for his own set of skills to be brought to the table.
Soma Cruz. He's my favourite character and he'd have too many moves to pick from. You could pick the most "iconic" souls to use as his specials or even normals.
Which souls, though? Besides the initial spear in the tutorial the required ones grant him pretty standard CV abilities. Or go full Kirby mode with him and he gains the copy ability of whomever he last KOs?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'd also have to go with the Johnathan Charlotte combo idea. Never really liked Soma.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I was going to say Jonathan Morris, but then someone mentioned Charlotte Aulin, which would actually be pretty cool to see. They'd probably work in a similar fashion to Pokemon Trainer as that's already been stated. Their Final Smash would probably be Greatest Five.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
For another echo i would go with trevor.. yeah, super easy pick but totally would go for a more Curse of darkness/ Netflix series look.

As for original character, Alucard, not because he is super popular, or he is my personal favourite, but because Sakurai made such a good job in teh assist that i can only think what he would do for him as a playable character!

Same with Dracula (although he IS my personal pick) judging for the ammount of love he poured in teh boss battle. plus, he can also take some inspiration from the order of ecclessia D fight. it was an amazing boss battle!

I have to admit though that Soma would make a great consolation prize....

the problem with going for not obvious picks is that as much fun as a Joachim moveset would be, he would literally be a "Who"?

Carrie Fernandez and Sypha Belndaes could be also great underground picks...

I do love the ideas for Shanoa and Jonathan/Charlotte ... my only fear thoughis that the Jonathan/Charlotte combo could end in a melee's Zelda/Shiek situation.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm surprised that no one has said Dracula yet; his boss moveset is so iconic and while Alucard certainly gives a taste of that, getting the full thing in Smash would be a ton of fun. Soma or Shanoa could be lots of fun too though.
I always wanted Dracula as a Castlevania character first since he's the most recurring, but obviously Simon makes more sense.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia, her fighting style is very different form every other Castlevania protagonist, and she deserves to be in another fighting game that isn't Judgement.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia, her fighting style is very different form every other Castlevania protagonist, and she deserves to be in another fighting game that isn't Judgement.
How was Judgement, as a FG? I remember some of the concept art being awesome as is usual for CV, but the game then seemed to drop off the face of the earth.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Alucard would be the only proper 3rd choice, but since he's an Assist.

I'd go with Eric Lecarde, Sypha, Soma or Shanoa

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Alucard would be the only proper 3rd choice, but since he's an Assist.

I'd go with Eric Lecarde, Sypha, Soma or Shanoa
ooo Eric's a good one. Spear user. He could have that StarFox character (Gem? Jem?) as an echo.

Sypha seems like she'd be a half-Alucard. IIRC he can do everything she does and then some. But Drac and Alucard would obviously be echos of each other since they already are. SotN Alucard could perform all of dad's moves.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
ooo Eric's a good one. Spear user. He could have that StarFox character (Gem? Jem?) as an echo.

Sypha seems like she'd be a half-Alucard. IIRC he can do everything she does and then some. But Drac and Alucard would obviously be echos of each other since they already are. SotN Alucard could perform all of dad's moves.
You mean Krystal? The staff she used works quite a bit differently than the Alucard spear.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I would love a playable Dracula.

I think that was one of the first Mii fighters I ever made.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I would have wanted Dracula over Simon once upon a time. I think I still do. I honestly think Dracula before literally everyone else in Castlevania.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I would have wanted Dracula over Simon once upon a time. I think I still do. I honestly think Dracula before literally everyone else in Castlevania.
while i characterwise could agree to this... gameplay wise having Simon is a dream. now you can whip in smash...... there always have been something so satisfying in the whiping animation from the old games.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
So, since first posting in this thread I've played and completed Order of Ecclesia.

I have to join those who say Shanoa would be a really fun pick. There's no way she or Yoko are happening (too many "who the hell is Shanoa/Yoko" responses from the average gamer), but they would be nice.

Shanoa's final smash could be YIELD [DOMINUS] TO ME!!, of course. Insta-kill everyone on screen, including herself.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’d really want Soma or Julius. Julius could be a Simon costume, but Soma would be super cool! I’m thinking his smashes, jab, and neutral air could be the weapons you can find, but every other move could be the souls you find!

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Clearly the only choice is Skeleton
I'm more of a fan of Old Axe Armor, personally.

After Alucard, Soma and Shanoa are sort of at the same level for me. Soma has a lot of options for a moveset with all the weapons and souls he could use. I've always liked the idea of using a wide array of bullet souls for neutral B, either dependent on charge or even RNG like G&W's Judgement. He might throw out Yorick's skull or a fish head, or something more powerful like Abaddon's locusts or the Great Axe Armor axe. They could maybe do cool stuff with the Puppet Master soul, too.

Shanoa seems like she would have a more organic moveset than Soma imo. With how glyphs worked in OoE, she had a variety of melee and ranged weapons. She could have a lot of ranged normals like Mega Man along with more straightforward normals like a rapier tilt. Her attacks could be pretty cool looking since there are some more elemental looking glyphs like Pneuma, and I'd be curious how they'd look in 3D.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Since I know almost nothing about Castlevania, that werewolf boss seems pretty cool to play as. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if he's just some random throwaway boss. This boss fight just looks really cool though. Only reason why I know about it is because Gamegrumps played through a game with him in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWw3xsXWjjU

It's seriously hard to think of anyone though because outside of Belmonts, Alucard, and perhaps Dracula, there's not really anyone that's really noteworthy that I know of.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Juste Belmont, obviously. Everybody loves him.
Other than Alucard, the only other character who would make a whole lot of sense is Maria. She definitely has the moveset potential, what with her animal spirits and her DBZ abilities from Symphony of the Night.

But if I were to pick a character that doesn’t make sense, this dapper fellow:

I know he’s only been in one game, but you can’t tell me Saint Germain isn’t among the best character in the franchise.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Soma for sure. He could use his sword and other weapons for his smash attacks and his soul-steal abilities in his special moves.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Since I know almost nothing about Castlevania, that werewolf boss seems pretty cool to play as. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if he's just some random throwaway boss. This boss fight just looks really cool though. Only reason why I know about it is because Gamegrumps played through a game with him in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWw3xsXWjjU

It's seriously hard to think of anyone though because outside of Belmonts, Alucard, and perhaps Dracula, there's not really anyone that's really noteworthy that I know of.
There IS actually a playable werewolf. Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness had Cornell, who also appeared in Castlevania Judgement as one of the few characters whose redesign wasn't universally loathed. Though Cornell also wore pants, and a shirt in his human form, while the werewolf boss is completely naked. I don't know if Cornell has a last name or not. I don't think he does.

I would like Cornell, myself, or Carrie Fernandez. I could also see Maria Renard as a playable character, and Soma Cruz could be pretty interesting in terms of both moveset and character.

D

Deleted member

It's cool to see Soma get some appreciation in this thread.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
There IS actually a playable werewolf. Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness had Cornell, who also appeared in Castlevania Judgement as one of the few characters whose redesign wasn't universally loathed. Though Cornell also wore pants, and a shirt in his human form, while the werewolf boss is completely naked. I don't know if Cornell has a last name or not. I don't think he does.

I would like Cornell, myself, or Carrie Fernandez. I could also see Maria Renard as a playable character, and Soma Cruz could be pretty interesting in terms of both moveset and character.
Where was all of this Carrie support before?

Top Bottom