• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you rather Ike replace? Roy or Marth?

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
Everyone seems to be talking about Marth and Ike, but no-one has said a word about Roy. I know someone will probably flame me 'cos im new here, but I just wan it to be noted that IMO Roy is better. But then again, many people like Marth more. On, the subject of Ike, he seems to look a lot better than both f then, but of course, we havnt seen his moveset yet. Sakurai hinted that he was more about power than speed and b quite strong, like Roy was in comparison to Marth in Melee. Discuss what you think is the better replacement choice (if ya want to that is...;))

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Honestly, Ike's sword is pretty big so he could be slow but it could be a Ganondorf slow which I see as good. I think he's a better replacement for Roy

I still think they'll put in another person from Fire Emblem and I'm hoping Lyn. I can see her being Top Tier over Ike which is basically the same as Marth and Roy. So if Lyn is in the game, she'll hopefully be the new Roy cause I don't see Ike being it.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Hm, im not that familiar with Fire Emblem, whats Lyn like? Power kind or speedy kind? You dont think that Ike and Lyn would replace Roy and Marth do you??????? :scared:

I think three is too many characters in smash for FE. Its not exactly one of the huge titles...

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Ike shouldn't replace either of them. Ike should be a brand new character will all-new moves.

Any other FE character they put in Brawl should have Marth or Roy's moveset, but they shouldn't have more than three characters, I think.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Why does Ike have to be a replacement at all?

If I had to pick Marth or Roy, I would say him taking Roy's spot. That doesn't mean taking his moves however.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Lyn is really fast. I don't know how fast Marth was in his Fire Emblem game but Lyn at least was pretty fast. If she were to play anything like Marth I think she would be an even better character than him.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I don't see them having Marth, Roy, and Ike all in Brawl. It's just too much of the same thing. The variations in their movesets won't be different enough for that to make sense. I definitely think that Ike will replace one of them, but there's even a chance he could replace both. It's not likely, but you never know. I don't really know the FE games so I don't know if there's a main character, or you select one of many and they are all equal. I don't know what Ike's position is in the FE world, but if he's just some side character of the FE games, then I'd assume at least Marth will definitely be staying.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
It says that he can use only one hand with his huge sword. I wouldn't call that slow. I think he will play close to marth or roy, and that those two will be gone. Well, that is what I am hoping anyway. His moves look similar to marth and roy. I guess we will see.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I think that Ike will replace roy but there will be a third FE character to come in. Lyn is possible and probobly more likely than others. Ike will have to have a different moveset than marth for he's going to be much slower than marth like ganon is with c.falcon.

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
Hm, im not that familiar with Fire Emblem, whats Lyn like? Power kind or speedy kind? You dont think that Ike and Lyn would replace Roy and Marth do you??????? :scared:

I think three is too many characters in smash for FE. Its not exactly one of the huge titles...

That's Lyn. Decide for yourself whether or not she's fast.

I'd rather Ike replace Marth, as long as he wasn't any worse. Lyn would be awesome, but the GameBoy Advance games were sort of a letdown for the people over in Japan, so she'll probably not be put in.

I don't see them having Marth, Roy, and Ike all in Brawl. It's just too much of the same thing. The variations in their movesets won't be different enough for that to make sense. I definitely think that Ike will replace one of them, but there's even a chance he could replace both. It's not likely, but you never know. I don't really know the FE games so I don't know if there's a main character, or you select one of many and they are all equal. I don't know what Ike's position is in the FE world, but if he's just some side character of the FE games, then I'd assume at least Marth will definitely be staying.
Ike's sword can attack from a distance, and he has a special that's nothing like anything Roy or Marth have. Fire Emblem is a series where every one or two games they switch main characters. Marth, Roy, Ike and Lyn are all Lord class (main) characters, but not from the same games (actually, there's a possibility that Lyn's Roy's mother, but that's rather irrelevant to this topic). Ike's just as important as Roy was, but Marth was from the original game, so has some distinction over all the other characters.

I'd also like to point out that Ike actually was a faster character than Marth, although they could certainly change that for this game...

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
As a character, in my opinion, Roy>Marth.

I'd rather see Marth and Roy cut, and just add Black Knight. :shrug: That's just me.

If anyone was staying, it'd probably be Marth.
The Black Knight and Ike? Two FE9 characters? Not going to happen. Also, I can't really see the BK jumping all that well...

Master_Yang

Smash Cadet
If one has to be dropped, it'll be Roy. Marth has the larger popularity (no offense, Roys, I'm a Roy sub myself), he was the first Lord in the FE series and looks to play the most different from Ike. I'm seeing Ike, despite the "one hand" comment, as being more of a heavy swinger than a speed swordie.

bloodhunter

Smash Rookie
California FC: 2878-9250-0874, you make the room i
I don't like the idea of replacing anyone in this game. Characters (clones) with similar movesets should just take the minimal amount of modifications needed and thrown in as an extra bonus without taking a slot. This way, everyone wins. Mario/Dr. Mario, Pikachu/Pichu, Link/Young Link ect. In this case I would make Ike a unique character, tweak Marth's moveset and do minimal work on Roy for balancing. Then I would add Lyn. It makes no sense for a game built to be a fan service to have charcacters with established movesets (clone or not) cut. Add to what you already have.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
I'm a Roy player man, don't trip on it. And I've been in the smash community aw hile, maybe 5 or so months and believe me, people do put Roy down. I'm hopin' he replaces Marth.

EXE

Smash Cadet
Lyn could be the Uber fast swordswoman, Marth the all around swordsman, and Ike the Uber strong swordsman.

Then they should add Ephraim and Hector for weapon diversity and Eirika for sex appeal (as if Lyn and Zero Suit Samus weren't enough xD)!

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Which Fire Emblem is Lyn from? but w/e. if there were more FE reps, they should be from the ones out internationally, like Sacred Stones (Go Ephraim!!). or the sequal to Path of Radience, Goddess of Dawn. is that out in america yet? eh...
Lyn is from FE7 and GoD comes out in November.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I'm sorry, but this is a dumb thread. Anyone who is even wondering about this doesn't know any FE history whatsoever.

Marth is the most important character in the series. Roy isn't important at all.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I think he'll replace Roy. Anyone who played FE:poR knows Ike is a power-type swordsman. So it only makes sense if he replaces Roy.

super.smash.camel

Smash Apprentice
Australia (What Does It Matter To You, Stalker &gt
Everyone seems to be talking about Marth and Ike, but no-one has said a word about Roy. I know someone will probably flame me 'cos im new here, but I just wan it to be noted that IMO Roy is better. But then again, many people like Marth more. On, the subject of Ike, he seems to look a lot better than both f then, but of course, we havnt seen his moveset yet. Sakurai hinted that he was more about power than speed and b quite strong, like Roy was in comparison to Marth in Melee. Discuss what you think is the better replacement choice (if ya want to that is...;))
**see bold**

No He's Not >.> :ohwell:

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
hm... well, if it had to be anyone, i'd pick marth.

I just think that Roy has more... personality and potential as a character, yet Marth is the stronger fighter out of the two.

I don't know, I just preffer Roy out of the two of them (don't kill me!)

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but this is a dumb thread. Anyone who is even wondering about this doesn't know any FE history whatsoever.

Marth is the most important character in the series. Roy isn't important at all.
But that doesnt mean some people want Marth to stay while Roy gets kicked out. Marth may be important, but in comparison to Roy, he sucks... just my opinion.

Is Ike as important though? Thats a better question...

Truedge

Smash Rookie
Technically Roy with Sword of Seals has a ranged attack too.
If they keep Aether's ability, Ike will have a two hit attack, first which heals equal to damage done and second which ignores defense (shield breaker?).

the grim lizard

Smash Master
But that doesnt mean some people want Marth to stay while Roy gets kicked out. Marth may be important, but in comparison to Roy, he sucks... just my opinion.

Is Ike as important though? Thats a better question...
In comparison to Roy, Marth sucks?? Do you mean just stylistically/personality-wise or how good they are in Melee? Because if it's the latter, you're delusional.

Ike is the main character for the most recent couple of FE games. So, it depends on who you ask.

uremog

Smash Ace
both.

anyways, Ike's got a huge *** sword = likely to have huge *** range. wahahaha, Fire Emblem go!

Top Bottom