• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you rather Ike replace? Roy or Marth?

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Oy . . . Why can't Sakurai just release a costume change function in the updates? Then arguments like these wouldn't exist.

Ike replaces Roy on the roster. Marth stays in the game. Roy becomes an alternate costume of Marth. Bam . . .

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I don't think the argument isn't that simple because of that fact the not everyone on this forums plays Fire Emblem and perhaps doesn't see Marth or Roy other than costume changes for each other. Other people see them for what uniquness they bring to the table, that's why there is no clear cut decesion of what character will be back or cut.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
As far as uniqueness between the two is concerned, all they really have going for them is a different look. The (oh so subtle) differences in their movesets are negligable at best, and breaking them both down to a single, unified moveset would do nothing but force a few lazy people to take ten minutes and adjust.

I'm plenty familiar with the Fire Emblem franchise, but that doesn't change the fact that Marth and Roy (especially when comparing the two and Ike) bring very little that could be considered unique.

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
Neither Marth nor Roy will make it back into Brawl. Ike is replacing Marth, and Eliwood is replacing Roy.
You monster! (J/K) But seriously, regarding the update. Keep in mind that it's a general Fire Emblem stage. There are plenty of castles, it could be ANYONE'S stage. Whatever your imagination wants it too be says Sakurai-sensei. And again, I must argue the 40+ characters theory. Plenty of room for my homie Marth, my brother's homie Roy and the free world (Outside of Japans) new favorite lord: Ike. I mean there are like 5 Mario characters, 3 Fire Emblem dudes isn't a biggie. No body needs to be replaced. And honestly, who deserves to replace Lords that appeared in two games? Technically my girl Lyn wasn't part of the continuity until F.E. 7 anyway. So she's not exactly the prime candidate.

Point of rant: People can join a team without cutting other people.
And the Durndal was so lame in comparison to the Sword of Seals.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
In comparison to Roy, Marth sucks?? Do you mean just stylistically/personality-wise or how good they are in Melee? Because if it's the latter, you're delusional.
Ike is the main character for the most recent couple of FE games. So, it depends on who you ask.

Roy fits my style of play better, plus from what ive seen (via youtube ) he's got more character. Not to mention that while Roy looks awesome, Marth looks like a bit of a pansy! And did you know that Marths taunt means "everyone, look at me"? LOL!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like he loves himself! Although when its in Japanese and ya don't understand it it sounds quite cool. IMO, Ike looks better than both of them anyways now...

~~~~~

See, the difficlt thing with this is that the 3 of them come from different parts of the series,so its hard to compare. Plus the fact we dont have Ike's moveset yet so we dont know how he plays out.

Also, something we need to figure out is the move differentiation between Ike and Marth and/or Roy. Sakurai said that he did'nt want any more clones this time round. But its going to be a little hard with 3 sword guys from the same series that have no other weapons (like Links arrors, boomerang, bombs and hookshot) to make their sets recocnisably different.

THATS why I said it should be kept as 2 from FE...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Ike's sword can attack from a distance, and he has a special that's nothing like anything Roy or Marth have. Fire Emblem is a series where every one or two games they switch main characters. Marth, Roy, Ike and Lyn are all Lord class (main) characters, but not from the same games (actually, there's a possibility that Lyn's Roy's mother, but that's rather irrelevant to this topic). Ike's just as important as Roy was, but Marth was from the original game, so has some distinction over all the other characters.

I'd also like to point out that Ike actually was a faster character than Marth, although they could certainly change that for this game...
Actually, they switch characters every game. Marth was the only exception being in two FE games (the first game and it's sequel FE 3). Roy's mother was never confirmed because in FE7 Eliwood could hook up with different people.

Roy's sword also had a ranged attack that was never implemented in melee. His sword also healed him.

Ike is much more important to the series than Roy because:
1.He's in multiple games. That has only happened twice in FE history (the first was Marth)
2.His game is popular internationally. That's the first time a FE game has been well recieved world wide. Roy's game wasn't even that popular in Japan.
3.He is in the most recent FE. Roy got in for advertising his game FE6. Now that it's out he's not needed.

Ike is only Faster because he can promote. Marth never promoted in his game, but his speed growth rate is 15% higher than GoD Ike. Marth was a fast and evasive character in his game (who could argue with a 70% luck growth).

GenG

Smash Lord
But that doesn't change the fact that Marth and Roy (especially when comparing the two and Ike) bring very little that could be considered unique.
Tippers? Highly distance dependant? Sword dance variations? Two movesets in one? Let's see if Ike will have all of that.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Hector should replace Roy. We could use an Axe weilder. I think judging from the screens, it's pretty safe to assume that Ike will have an almost identical moveset to Marth. Thus, he won't be returning. We don't need two blue haired swordsmen. And people in America know who Ike is. He was in two games like Marth too. And Ike also doesn't like it up the butt. ;D

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Does anyone have a picture of hector from Fire Emblem please
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Fire_Emblem_(video_game)#Dorcas
He's the one with the axe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fire_Emblem_Goddess_of_the_Dawn_Japanese_Boxart.jpg
About that....Before the E3 2007 trailer, I knew that Ike was involved in FE10:GoD, but wasn't it supposedly more focused on these two? The green-haired Sothe and the white-haired Mikaya? The japanese cover is them two, not Ike. I haven't kept myself updated fully on GoD, I figure I'll know the story when I get the game, but just curious.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
cant we just not have ike? i hate him i dont know why.

neither marth or roy are in any games in the US, so i think lyn should replace marth(shes hawt =p) and Hector to replace roy. mabey even greil since hes from a more recent, well known game.

at the risk of being totally unrelated, what about Lyon to replace mewtwo?

GenG

Smash Lord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fire_Emblem_Goddess_of_the_Dawn_Japanese_Boxart.jpg
About that....Before the E3 2007 trailer, I knew that Ike was involved in FE10:GoD, but wasn't it supposedly more focused on these two? The green-haired Sothe and the white-haired Mikaya? The japanese cover is them two, not Ike. I haven't kept myself updated fully on GoD, I figure I'll know the story when I get the game, but just curious.
From Wikipedia:

The game's 45 chapters are unequally divided into four parts. Each chapter features a "leader" character, comparable to the Lord characters in previous games. For example, the leader of Part 1 is Micaiah, and Ike is the leader of most of Parts 3 and 4. Other leaders, such as Elincia, Geoffrey and Tibarn, play minor roles. The number of playable characters totals 72, with 42 returning characters from Path of Radiance and 30 new characters.
So Ike is the "main character" again. And for main, I understand "decisive", the one than can wield "the thing" to end "the evil".

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
From Wikipedia:

So Ike is the "main character" again. And for main, I understand "decisive", the one than can wield "the thing" to end "the evil".
Thanks GenG. Wow, that actually sounds really cool. I might get some respect for Ike for once(If you haven't been following, I don't like Ike). I hated Path of Radiance, but this sounds pretty epic!

khold

Smash Apprentice
like superace said, there will probably enough room in brawl to compensate for all the melee 25 as well as some new ones. there isn't any need for anybody to be replaced.

in fact, the clones' movesets can even change.

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
like superace said, there will probably enough room in brawl to compensate for all the melee 25 as well as some new ones. there isn't any need for anybody to be replaced.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are a credit to the forums, Thank you!

SonicMario

Smash Master
Must... Not.. give in.. to sentence that might get me flamed!... Ahhhh!

I think Ike should be only FE character on the roster!...

Oh crap... (Prepares Flame Sheild)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think that he should replace Roy.

I love using Roy in Melee, but he is a clone and I don't think much can be done to change him.

I just hope both weren't removed. Marth at least has to return!

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England

I also agree with this :grin:

Only problem is that he WILL have to change Marth or Roys moveset to avoid clones, meaning that anyone who mains them at the moment has just lost everything :laugh:

Also... this is a bigger problem... 3 SWORD GUYS FROM THE SAME GAME WITH SIMULAR MOVES!?!?!?!? WTF!?!?!? :psycho:

Apart from that I totally agree with you. And no, im not being sarcastic, it does sound like smthing Sakurai would do :)

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
ike is fast char he can move very fast and he is powerful too

ike rocks k rocks we need just the black knight to make a nice event

and black knight could be a nice cool char

see this pic:

this the FE 10 Ike

and this guy is the zelguis spoiler warning(
Black knight
)

The Brawler

Smash Apprentice
Roy is just a replica of Marth in every attack I personnaly think Roy sucks though and Marth SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED. Though I have seen pretty sweet pictures of Ike but i honestly think that Ike is replacing either Ganon or Roy. Maybe both just to make room for more.

Top Bottom