• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would rate sonic one of the best to play as?

pyrosmash

Smash Rookie
Do anyone think sonic is one of the best characters in brawl. I havent unlocked him yet, but i really want to.
just to get some of your views on sonic.
thanks.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Hey mate.
I'd hate to be the one to break it to you, but there will be few people here who can honestly admit Sonic is one of the best players in the game. He is severely underestimated, but not very close to the top. But that doesn't matter to Sonic mainers. He is the fastest character in the game and has a great tech chase game and great recovery options. His mindgames are endless and has the greatest side taunt known to man.
You will really enjoy using him. Just try not to give up straight away, that's where alot of people go wrong. He takes a while to be proficient with but it is worth it.

On the formal side of things, according to current tournaments, (this data can be found in the brawl tactical discussion stickies) he is around D rank (which is underused). There has only been 2 or 3 large tournament wins with Sonic but we all are out to increase that number.

Me personally, I couldn't live without Sonic in Brawl.
Cya later mate :)

pyrosmash

Smash Rookie
sonic has got a appeal to him, he has the fast look.
maybe in years to come they will give him new moves, so he will move up a few ranks
thanks for your view on sonic, overall i reckon hes a pretty neat character.

Tenki

Smash Hero
He's far from the best, but he gives alot of tools that good players can take advantage of.

Basically, if you want to do well with Sonic, you should be good at the basics of the game:
- Powershielding and grabbing
- Chasing
- Dodging/avoiding damage
- Punishing missed moves
- Mindgaming kill moves
- Reading your opponent's moves

Grabbing is the solution to Sonic's priority problems (if you're new, this is when another attack beats yours out), so finding openings for grabs is important. Powershielding attacks gives the most openings for grabs.

Dodging and avoiding damage is also important. It's not just limited to shields and spotdodge/ roll. Walking/running away from attacks is important as well.

Chasing (rolls) especially gives a feeling of pressure to your opponent and helps you rack up damage.

Punishing moves takes a bit of matchup knowledge- know how to fight your opponents and what to take advantage of.

and the rest goes to experience.

With Sonic's feints and such, there are many possibilities to bait openings from your opponents if you can read them.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Thanks to Tenki for always making positive contributions to this board.

It's basically all been said before, but I'll reiterate. Sonic in the more advanced community here at SWF(by more advanced meaning more technically skilled and knowledgable), is not generally considered to be among the best characters. He is considered mid tier at best(mid tier meaning about average overall compared to other characters).

However, what no one can deny is that Sonic is really one of the most fun characters to use. If you become good with him and the people you typically play with are not too amazing, then chances are you'll get alot of "SONIC IZZ SO CHEAP ZOMG HAX", and if you beat a good smasher with Sonic, chances are you'll get a "You're a good Sonic", because its not often you see them.

If by new moves you mean new ATs(Advanced Techniques), that possibility is always open. For an actual new standard move arsenal, however, you'd have to wait till the next Smash Bros. game. In my opinion Sonic's moveset is quite good supeficially; it's subtler issues like priority and start/end lag that make his moves less useable than one might desire.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yes there are a few ******* that think Sonic is the best in Brawl. They need help putting their pants on in the morning though.

NNID
MasterHavik
Sonci decent to me, but if your maining Sonic. make that man look like a God tier character if you want to. people who suck are goign to give you, " ZOMG Sonic is cheap!!!!". Someone who's awesome is going to simplily say," You're a good Sonic." but I'm not here to copy. But Sonic not bad, but I'm not here to copy. But in the next game sonic might be the ZOMG OWNRAGE Character, but who knows?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Sonic is probably the second or third worst character in the game
That is not true. The following characters have a less successful major tournament history. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954 Here is the thread just incase anyone would like to check it out.

Lucas
Ness
Zelda
Toon Link
Ike Jigglypuff
Samus
Bowser
Pokémon Trainer
Luigi
Sheik
Link
Mario
Sheik/Zelda
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

And according to IvanEva's matchup chart (and i did this rather quickly):
Sonic: 17 disdavantages.
Squirtle: 18 disadvantages
Link: 19 Disadvantages
Peach: 19 disadvantages
Ness: 20 disadvantages
Mario: 21 disadvantages
Luigi: 22 disadvantages
Ike: 24 disadvantages
Charizard: 26 disadvantages
Jigglypuff: 26 disadvantages
Samus: 26 disadvantages
Yoshi: 26 disdavantages
Bowser: 29 disadvantages
Captain Falcon: 32 disadvantages
Ganondorf: 33 disadvantages (lol)

So as you can see Sonic is far from the bottom. I am aware that this test may not be the most accurate judgement of character ability but it gives you an idea. A perfect tier list has not really been constructed for Brawl yet, as all techniques are new and moves are still being discovered, but I am almost certain (although he won't be high) that Sonic will not be within 2 or 3 of the bottom.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's a alright character like I tell all new commers u have a long journey ahead of u. You'll probally get so mad you wanna give up alot. But stick tight you'll come out of that adventure pretty darn spankin with Sonic.

But one thing u should all was remember other that the awsome inputs by tenki and greeastreet. I love this sayin I kinda made it up "Dont roll in to ****." Meaning like tenki said, avoid damage one of the most important thing any players needs to do like that guy said "Dont get hit". But this ones just for Sonic. Dont roll into ****... hope you have fun with him enjoy and let your journey begin.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Sonic's a alright character like I tell all new commers u have a long journey ahead of u. You'll probally get so mad you wanna give up alot. But stick tight you'll come out of that adventure pretty darn spankin with Sonic.

But one thing u should all was remember other that the awsome inputs by tenki and greeastreet. I love this sayin I kinda made it up "Dont roll in to ****." Meaning like tenki said, avoid damage one of the most important thing any players needs to do like that guy said "Dont get hit". But this ones just for Sonic. Dont roll into ****... hope you have fun with him enjoy and let your journey begin.
Agreed. Because Sonic is so light weight you really want to avoid it.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Sonic is good because his final smash is really good.

I'm too cheap! Haha. Sonic is for noobs who like to be cheap and win.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Oh Boxob.... why art thou banned again? I was going to argue with you a bit. I wasn't advocating for people to complain about Sonic, I was just saying that if you DID it would make more sense to complain about how weak he is :O

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
rofl boxob is too funny and yeah pretty much greenstreet and tenki said it and yeah grabbing ownzz with sonic. something you might want to abuse when u unlock sonic.

down throw -> see where he rolls and chase with another grab or w/e you like

its great and abusable until ur opponent catches on and even then you can still predict or adapt ^_^

Tenki

Smash Hero
Lol. Sonic isn't cheap. It takes alot of work to get damage up. :)
This guy would like to disagree.

SWF chat, lol wifis.

Also, names changed for privacy.

Private Chat
[01:13] <MAD> iM ****ING ANGRY RIGHT NOW
[01:13] <MAD> U BEAT ME OVER 20 MOTHER ****ING TIMES
[01:13] <MAD> WHAT ARE U ASIN OR SOMETHING
[01:13] <MAD> !!!
[01:13] <MAD> ASAIN
[01:13] <MAD> WHAT THE ****
[01:14] <Tenki> you're being too predictable cause you're playing aggressively
[01:14] <Tenki> -_-'
[01:14] <MAD> SONIC IS TOO ****ING CHEAP
[01:14] <MAD> HIT AND RUN
[01:14] <Tenki> lolrangelolprioritylolweightlolbottomtier
[01:14] <Tenki> bring it to tact. discussion or something, everyone will tell you to dodge.
[01:15] <MAD> SONIC IS TOP TIER I DONT GIVE A **** WHAT U SAY
[01:15] <MAD> I AM ****ING ANGRY

Public Chat
[01:14] <MAD> SONIC IS ****ING CHEAP
[01:14] <Tenki> attention everyone
[01:14] <NoTmaD> No he's not
[01:14] <Tenki> ^^^ what he said
[01:14] <Tenki> err
[01:14] <NoTmaD> he has barely any kill moves
[01:14] <random1> Is there a digimon whose name does not end in 'mon'?
[01:14] <NoTmaD> F Smash takes ages
[01:14] <random1> oh
[01:14] <NoTmaD> and he does little damage in what attacks he does have that are good
[01:14] <NoTmaD> you
[01:14] <NoTmaD> are just bad
[01:14] <random1> I thought he was TT.
[01:15] <MAD> SONIC IS TOP TIER MAN
[01:15] <MAD> WHAT THE ****
[01:15] <MAD> SONIC IS ****ING CHEAP
[01:15] <Tenki> all your base are belong to us
[01:15] <random1> quick
[01:15] <NoTmaD> Holy **** you
[01:15] <random1> spam the ****tard
[01:15] <NoTmaD> are annoying
[01:15] <Tenki> nu nu nu
[01:15] <NoTmaD> AND bad at the game
[01:15] <random1> SPAM HIM GUYZ
[01:15] <Tenki> just because i 3 stocked your snake once with Sonic doesn't mean he's top tier
[01:15] <Tenki> ;__;
[01:16] <MAD> YES IT DOES
[01:16] <MAD> HES HIGHER THAN IKE
[01:16] <NoTmaD> rofl
[01:16] <NoTmaD> you play Snake
[01:16] <NoTmaD> lmaaaaaaaaao
[01:16] <MAD> yes
[01:16] <Tenki> I used your mine to Falcon Punch you one game
[01:16] <Gumby> #Madnessboards
[01:16] <Tenki> `.` like I said, you were just being too aggressive and easy to predict
[01:16] <Tenki> calm down and play defensive some times
[01:17] <MAD> im a ****ing pieace of ****
[01:17] <Gumby> join #love
[01:17] <Gumby> do it
[01:17] <Gumby> I'm op
[01:17] <Gumby> No I'm kidding.
[01:17] <NoTmaD> MAD
[01:17] <NoTmaD> Sonic is pretty low tier
[01:17] <NoTmaD> and Snake is as high as the tier list goes
[01:18] <NoTmaD> so, I don't think it's a tier list issue, which it never is
[01:18] <NoTmaD> you just suck
[01:18] <MAD> i dont think snake is THE HIGHEST
[01:18] <MAD> that would be MK or olimar
[01:18] <MAD> definitely very high
[01:18] <NoTmaD> Olimar
[01:18] <NoTmaD> lmao
[01:18] <NoTmaD> you ARE bad at Brawl
[01:18] <Gumby> I think trolling is succesful when people take it seriously.
[01:18] <MAD> have u even played me
[01:18] <NoTmaD> I main Olimar, he's middle of the top tier
[01:18] <Tenki> I played you
[01:18] <Tenki> ._.
[01:18] <NoTmaD> I don't need to, that guy said he 3 stocked you
[01:19] <Tenki> I already told you, you were playing too aggressive
[01:19] <NoTmaD> and you prove that you're an idiot in IRC
[01:19] <MAD> snakes a side
[01:19] <NoTmaD> those 2 equal out to you sucking at brawl
[01:19] <Tenki> or
[01:19] <MAD> i ahte to admit it but ur right NoTmaD : (
[01:19] <Tenki> just not knowing how to play against Sonic
[01:19] <Tenki> ._.;
[01:19] <MAD> i need a beer

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
Sonic's a great character, nowhere near the best, as long as you aren't too slow, *lol* Sonic is great at building up damage, and despite what everyone says, Sonic's pretty powerful, when you use the right moves that is.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats not true. he is great for racking up damage, but some of his best moves for killing are also the best moves for rack dam. so it presents a killing connundrum with the mechanics of the game. and he is not powerful, in any sence. even fresh his best method of killing requires them to already be at the top of the stage. none of his kill moves even fresh (which they proly wont be) will kill a player with good DI until 160+. but as ppl who really love sonic as a character and grew up with his games, something as trivial as him not being great will deter us from playing him, as a matter of fact, it makes us better because only the ppl who really love sonic play him these days, and since sonic is like the only character that requires using all of his moves to win, id have to say sonic mainers are some of the most skilled dudes around

Top Bottom