• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will be the first newcomers revealed for Smash 4? (Expect first trailer at E3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As far as who I would expect, I could see it going like this.

Ridley would serve as the first new rep from a popular franchise to be shown, like Metaknight or Zelda and Peach. He would also the first villain showcased, like Bowser.
Lil' Mac would be the retro guy to show up, like Pit and the Ice Climbers.
Another Kid Icarus character, given its newfound popularity.
Megaman/Pacman or another third party character no one wants nearly as much to build hype. While the second of third party character would be shown later down the line.
Maybe a new Pokemon will be shown too.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's been a few months, but I think my opinion still stands:

1. Ridley OR K. Rool; the villain will be the first to show up in the trailer. The OTHER villain will be a Dojo announcement.
2. Palutena
3. Little Mac
4. Takamaru (He's retro-rific. Also, those unfamiliar with him will be totally hyped up, just like Pit in the Brawl trailer)
5. Mega Man. Word.

Pretty standard, but there's a reason these things become standard. Unless he wants to throw in a curveball like he did with ZSS; in that case, swap Palutena with whoever that is, but I don't expect that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Toad, Ridley, Shulk, Little Mac, and Pac-Man are the ones I most see being revealed in the trailer.
The ones I see early, but not in the trailer are K. Rool and Waluigi.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Okay, y'know what, I'm sorry to bring this back, but I just read through this thread and the Ridley arguments? No.

First of all, in the Melee debut trailer (the game's opening), there's a scene where Samus is fighting Ridley, and they're the same goddamn size, so clearly he's scalable. And secondly? Giga Bowser was a boss in Melee and playable in Brawl (albeit as a Final Smash, but still). There's no reason Ridley can't be given the same treatment. I've yet to hear a legitimate reason he can't be playable. And if he was a playable character, I can almost guarantee you he'd be in the reveal trailer.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Okay, y'know what, I'm sorry to bring this back, but I just read through this thread and the Ridley arguments? No.

First of all, in the Melee debut trailer (the game's opening), there's a scene where Samus is fighting Ridley, and they're the same goddamn size, so clearly he's scalable. And secondly? Giga Bowser was a boss in Melee and playable in Brawl (albeit as a Final Smash, but still). There's no reason Ridley can't be given the same treatment. I've yet to hear a legitimate reason he can't be playable. And if he was a playable character, I can almost guarantee you he'd be in the reveal trailer.
Yea, this thread pretty much refutes all the "Ridley's too big" arguments.
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ridley-for-ssb4-thread.324284/page-58#post-15425119

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I like this guy!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I praise people who have common sense. Common sense alone is enough to tell apart smart people from stupid people.

And since we're talking about Ridley's size AGAIN, here's that picture that ultimately brings down these debates:

Courtesy of yours truly, to be used to prove any of those "Ridley is too big" arguments wrong.

@Banjodorf: Are you gannondorf4ever?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wonder why is it called "common" sense, when it is infact so uncommon. :laugh:

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice

They'll put him in as Charizard's final smash :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really don't see them revealing King K.Rool or Ridley just yet.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They know that at this point they can already create mass hype by... anything. Why not safe K.Rool and Ridley for later? There where not many fan favorites in Brawl's trailer either outside Wario and MetaKnight. They might've been popular, but not as much as Sonic, Diddy Kong and King Dedede for example. I do not think they are gonna go all extreme with characters.

Best bets for revealing characters to me are:
-Palutena
-Little Mac
-Takamaru
-Impa / Ghirahim / Zelda newcomer
-Toad / Paper Mario / Bowser Jr. / Mario newcomer
-3rd party character ; MegaMan / Pacman?
-Pokémon Newcomer / Mewtwo
-Chrom / Roy

They'll probably first announce the newly / lesser popular characters, retros and 3rd parties now, and safe the big shots K.Rool and Ridley for later. Don't even expect Mewtwo or Roy really either, but still listed them.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I guarantee they won't announce a new Zelda or Mario newcomer, assuming there is one at all. Nor Chrom, nor a new Pokémon rep. I could see Palutena for sure, and Little Mac OR Takamaru. Roy OR Mewtwo as a stretch, but I think they're going to save them for very late reveals right before the game comes out. Mega Man is basically a sure bet for a reveal at this point, and I think Ridley would be the best possible character to have in the trailer.

So, in this order (vets included):
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Little Mac
Palutena
Samus
Ridley
Mega Man

Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu are guarantees. I think Little Mac would be next, making the step up from Assist Trophy as the "retro" rep (though technically not anymore) as well as showing off how highly requested he is. Palutena shows up next, similarly to Pit. Samus is there mainly so she can set up Ridley, and then Mega Man is the big closer.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
1. Little Mac
2. Paper Mario
3. Krystal
4. Ridley
5. Megaman
and 1 more whom is not new, but in a costume.
6. Mario in his Tanooki suit
This will be done to show off the highly, HIGHLY, likely new really requested alternate costumes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So what if somebody guesses the right characters? Do they win something? Grand prize should be that the winner gets to banish a user of their choice to the pits of Smash Hell...otherwise known as GameFAQS :troll:

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'm totally making this up as I go along

My list (Vetrens included.)

Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Little Mac
Ridley
Samus
Mewtwo
Mega Man

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
These four are guaranteed to be in any Smash trailer:
1) Mario
2) Link
3) Kirby
4) Pikachu

In order of chance of being released:
5) Palutena
6) Shulk
7) Little Mac

A fourth newcomer is harder to pick but i'd have to choose one of
8) Chrom / new Pokemon / Ridley / K.Rool or Pac Man.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
In all seriousness though... why are people so sure we are going to get a SSB4 trailer at E3 let alone one that reveals characters?

Am I mistaken in thinking that this game is still alot earlier in development than Brawl or Melee were when their reveal trailers were released?

They would need to have already finished the core gaming mechanics, selected and completed several newcomers and largely polished the game off to be in a trailer like Brawl or Melee's.
I may be ignorant to how long they've been producing it but to me it just seems way too early for most of that.

Otherwise, perhaps we could just get an intro trailer similar to Melee one but without any game play?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Um, in January Iwata confirmed screenshots and a trailer at E3.
I'll add to this that Sakurai hinted on his twitter (I'd have to go back and find it) that they were working on big things for the reveal at E3. In addition, given that they first hinted at the game during E3 '11, and they really need Wii U sales to go up, they're going to do the best they can to hype people up for Smash 4. Expect a trailer with new characters and nothing less.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea, Sakurai also stated that this trailer would be better than Brawls trailer. So with that in mind, I would go out on a limb and say that more characters will be revealed. My guess is (counting veterans) 8-10

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If they revealed 6-10, then the roster would be bigger than ever. Revealing that many newcomers would have to hint something bigger.
Jones said including veterans.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He added the word revealed, so I assumed newcomers.
Well if you think about it, it's not exactly guaranteed per se that all the vets are coming back. I'd say every character that appears is a reveal of sorts.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't expect Megaman to be at E3 even if he is in the game at this point. I think he is the Sonic card that they will hold back and reveal a few months before the release of the game to generate more hype.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to mention I typed "(including veterans)".

Probably Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu. Then 4-6 newbies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's been a few months, but I think my opinion still stands:

1. Ridley OR K. Rool; the villain will be the first to show up in the trailer. The OTHER villain will be a Dojo announcement.
2. Palutena
3. Little Mac
4. Takamaru (He's retro-rific. Also, those unfamiliar with him will be totally hyped up, just like Pit in the Brawl trailer)
5. Mega Man. Word.

Pretty standard, but there's a reason these things become standard. Unless he wants to throw in a curveball like he did with ZSS; in that case, swap Palutena with whoever that is, but I don't expect that.
Hmmm... Someone can tell the future...(-_-)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the trailer will go something like this.

Mario's trophy lands from the sky, in a call back to melee it's his previous appearance. As he is brought to life he turns into his new model. The camera pans to show Link opposite him. They run at each other and then it transitions to beta gameplay footage to show off whatever stage they're on. The scene then changes to Kirby and Pikashu duking it out when the first newcomer breaks the fight. Then it's kinda similar the the Brawl trailer. After the title, Sonic and Snake are shown fighting Mario before the new third party makes a big entrance.

As for the characters I think the new characters would be a Pokemon character (Mewtwo returns?), a Kid Icarus character, a character from a more recent franchise like Dillon or Shulk, if there's any left a retro character and depending on whether Capcom's vendetta against the Blue bomber is stronger than their love of money or not, MEGAMAN.

volbound1700

Smash Master
1. Little Mac
2. Paper Mario
3. Krystal
4. Ridley
5. Megaman
and 1 more whom is not new, but in a costume.
6. Mario in his Tanooki suit
This will be done to show off the highly, HIGHLY, likely new really requested alternate costumes.

I can see an Alt Costume being shown off early. Likely for vets.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
In the event that Ridley does become playable, I don't think he'll show up in the first trailer. I just feel like he'd be a secret, unlockable character, not someone they'd reveal right off the bat. I feel the same way about King K. Rool, actually, as I don't think all three DK characters would be available on the starting roster. Assuming we get to see 5 newcomers again, my list of the most likely and my reasoning why would be:
  1. Little Mac (He's basically expected by everyone at this point, so I can see him being an early reveal.)
  2. Takamaru (I expect him to be hyped up as the "cool", redesigned nostalgia appeal, like Pit was. Of course, that appeal to nostalgia would be intended more for the Japanese fanbase.)
  3. Mewtwo (While I don't necessarily think he's starting roster material, I can see them using his reappearance to generate massive amounts of hype. Maybe they'll relegate another Pokemon character to an unlockable slot in his place.)
  4. Starfy (I can imagine him showing up unexpectedly, perhaps falling from the sky. Overall, I imagine him providing some comic relief to buffer the more hyped newcomer appearances.)
  5. A third-party character. Whether Megaman or a Namco character, or even someone else, I don't know. There's too many possibilities to predict. They could try to recreate the Snake reaction and show someone nobody expects.)

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm thinking along the lines of...Palutena, Mewtwo, Takamaru, Little Mac, Saki and then either a Capcom or Namco character.

Or instead of Saki, be King K. Rool or Ridley. :yeahboi:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Snake and Sonic are still in this game do you think they'll be revealed in the first trailer?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think these guys will be revealed:
1. Shulk
2. Ridley
3. Palutena
4. Isa
5. Balloon Fighter
6. Professor Layton
7. Megaman (OR Quote)

I would've added Takamaru, but revealing a character who is mostly known only in Japan would probably be best to show later. (Marth & Roy Melee reveal risk esque)

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
You have a good point that it would be strange to release a Japan only character like Takamaru in LA.

The problem with this reveal as I see it, is there doesnt seem to be many characters who deserve a starting spot.
By past trends, only really Palutena and Shulk deserve automatic starting spots.
Possibly Taka or Mac too, but that would mean we get two retro reveals which seems unlikely.

Very very hard one to pick unless they only reveal 3 characters or reveal unlockables (a 3rd party like Snake perhaps).

Assuming 4 characters is the most they can afford without revealing too many unlockables, my final guess would be:
- Palutena
- Shulk
- Taka/Mac
- Pac/Mega

Edit: possibly K. Rool could be starter material at a big stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom