• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Who WAS That?" The Player-Finder Thread

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
If anyone going by the name Soul is here (uses Mewtwo), I just want to say that you and I had a lot of chemistry and I'd love to play against you again someday.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I've seen this as well, a lot of players who are at a way higher level than the usual For Glory fare. A lot of B-reversing, perfect pivoting, pivot grabs, etc. Playing a little too flashy to actually win but still way better than usual, making me wonder where these people came from all of a sudden.

I've also seen the "Flowchart" play move from some characters to others. It used to be mainly Link/Ness/Sonic but now I'm seeing a lot of ROB/Luigi players using the same rinse-and-repeat tactics.
While I haven't seen any Perfect Pivoting yet, I've noticed a lot of players doing b reverses and pivot grabs as well, often to the extent of them actually putting themselves in danger simply because they prefer style over fundamentals.

One of the weirdest flowcharts I've seen recently was from a Meta Knight player. His entire style was based upon trying to hit me with an up b. Once I realized what he was doing, I literally was able to run up to him and shield, and he would immediately use up b. If the matchmaking has improved, then this guy has been relying on his opponent's lack of matchup experience to win and nothing else.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
One of the weirdest flowcharts I've seen recently was from a Meta Knight player. His entire style was based upon trying to hit me with an up b. Once I realized what he was doing, I literally was able to run up to him and shield, and he would immediately use up b. If the matchmaking has improved, then this guy has been relying on his opponent's lack of matchup experience to win and nothing else.
These types seem to leave after one game. I almost never play against ROB on FG but it seems like they all use the same way of playing now: Aerial uncharged Gyro at the start of the match, try to combo that into a Nair, repeat until kill percent, then spam usmash. Laser game is almost completely nonexistent, and they get lost when I pick up the gyro.

Luigi....just fish for grabs all day and dthrow to fair/down B until dead.

I guess I'm only doing this to myself by playing For Glory though.

I did get a new controller today and found myself playing a lot smoother, though. Big relief off my chest because I started to doubt my ability to play.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Excellent games to a ZSS player (who used the classic orange costume) named Daniel. It was refreshing to fight a Zero Suit who didn't just fire the paralyzer, then run up and dash attack the entire game. He was super aggressive and had some nice reads. I salute you sir.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
These types seem to leave after one game. I almost never play against ROB on FG but it seems like they all use the same way of playing now: Aerial uncharged Gyro at the start of the match, try to combo that into a Nair, repeat until kill percent, then spam usmash. Laser game is almost completely nonexistent, and they get lost when I pick up the gyro.

Luigi....just fish for grabs all day and dthrow to fair/down B until dead.

I guess I'm only doing this to myself by playing For Glory though.

I did get a new controller today and found myself playing a lot smoother, though. Big relief off my chest because I started to doubt my ability to play.
I have faced those Luigi's all the time, but the fact that flowchart R.O.B. is becoming more common surprised me. I have only seen one R.O.B. since the update, and not only were his fundamentals some of the strongest I've seen online, but he obviously had a lot of experience against Palutena.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
has anyone else noticed the quality of players on the wii U for glory seems to have risen lately? prior to the mewtwo update I was still getting several mediocre to ok players in wii U for glory, all of which I could handle fairly well. But lately after the update I've been running into several more competent players that give me quite a challenge and/or flat out destroy me. Players who know actual tricks like b-reversals, and actual ground lock setups.

Did nintendo update the actual matchmaking so we're getting players based more on our win %'s now, or have I just been i I lucky/unlucky lately?
I agree with this, people seem better lately, but it could always be a placebo.
Also way too many Captain Falcons (though most are pretty good). I feel like people who play him aren't confident in their own masculinity, but that's just my opinion~

Herr Director

Smash Rookie
NNID
Herr_Director
GGs to Crowing (crow1ng)! I wish I had more time this morning for more rounds, you're one of the best Ganondorf's I've ever faced!

Matsushi

True Blood
[3DS] Shout out to Niles on For Fun who used Captain Falcon! Very, very stylish indeed. :happysheep: I was the derpy black Marth named Matsu.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
@ Spirst Spirst goddamn it, one more game and I would have had you :p also, please forgive the very scrubby :4zelda:, I recognised the name, and tried to counterpick a Shadow Ball that never came

Last edited:

Spirst

@ Spirst Spirst goddamn it, one more game and I would have had you :p also, please forgive the very scrubby :4zelda:
Oh, huh, I didn't think I would find someone from here. If you want to play more games with me, just add me. I usually accept requests.

Darksilver77

Smash Rookie
Just possibly played the funniest online match ever with some guy called 00-zero. Will have to upload it to my YT channel.
Also as a fellow sheik main loved all the advanced techs you were using.

GG

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
3DS - Someone here a Mega Man and Dark Pit main named Vidiot? You did very well with both of those characters! We played about 5 or 6 games, haha. But then I had to leave. ;~;

Name's Timmy; was the Ness in the White & Orange Shirt lol.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
@ Nexin Nexin was that you with the red :4palutena:? Good games! I was the black :4zss: :4marth: :4zelda:.
Yeah, that was me. Those were some awesome matches, especially the ones with Zero Suit. Anyways, I sent you a friend request after the last match. Hope to play you again in the future.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
has anyone else noticed the quality of players on the wii U for glory seems to have risen lately? prior to the mewtwo update I was still getting several mediocre to ok players in wii U for glory, all of which I could handle fairly well. But lately after the update I've been running into several more competent players that give me quite a challenge and/or flat out destroy me. Players who know actual tricks like b-reversals, and actual ground lock setups.

Did nintendo update the actual matchmaking so we're getting players based more on our win %'s now, or have I just been lucky/unlucky lately?
You just ran into some rare good players in FG. But if you really want to look for a good fight and practice, then switch to Smash Ladder. It is immensely better than FG. You won't be disappointed.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
[3DS]
I fought a player named DeBuff who played a Lucina and Dark Pit. It started as Sonic vs Lucina, then you switched to D-Pit, so I switched to Pit. The clone matches we had were amazing. Definitely the best Dark Pit I have ever fought. You made great use of the short hop F-air/N-air and I can't remember how many times I got caught by those :laugh:. I learned a lot from these matches, though I wish I had saved them to look back on. I hope you and I can play against each other in the future again :).

MegaDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
megabusterma
3DS FC
5215-2596-4372
3ds
Looking for a guy/girl who goes by the name shadow uses counter fighters like lucinda ike graninja etc.

We are pretty close in skill and want to fight more in the future. Thanks

Uffe

Smash Hero
[3DS] I played a Peach main named Clansee. Wasn't expecting good matches this early on to be honest. It usually takes me sometime in FG to find some good players, but you were my first opponent and just so happened to be good. If you see this, I'd like to play your Peach again. GGs.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
GGs to a Sheik player named @00-Zero on the Wii U. You really kept me on my toes with all those advanced techniques you were using.

I was the Palutena player with the Nexin tag. I hope I get to face you again in the future.

Khanjali

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-8711-2170
@pfantasia
(from California)
Best. Zelda. Ever.
I had no chance. I should have saved at least one or two of those matches so I could learn from them.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
S/o to an excellent player named Dayton for some awesome twelve matches today! You had the name "DTG" for your in-game tag name, and you are a very skilled Kirby player in particular (you were also pretty good with your other characters too). In all of the matches you used Kirby, I lost to you. However, you did switch with some characters, namely Game and Watch, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Falco, and Megaman. I was the player that used Greninja, Shulk, Lucario, and Sheik against you (those characters are my three mains). I played with Greninja and Shulk four times, Lucario three times, and Sheik for our last match. Out of the twelve matches we played, you won seven of them (four with your Kirby, one with Game and Watch, one with Donkey Kong, and one with Falco), while I won five of them (one while playing Greninja against your G&W, two with Shulk against your DK and Link, and two with Lucario against your Yoshi and Megaman). It was a pleasure being able to face you online!

Last edited:
If anyone sees my online on Wii u I usually go by the mii CMHY30XX. I've been playing Marth lately, because I feel like I was good with Marth for a short time. I've been improving him and as I do my Captain Falcon ans Sheik get better... I am feeling a little depressed so if u c me on there send me a friend request. Also can someone get rid of the annoying poor playing trash talkers online

nugrun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NugRun
3DS FC
2122-8507-8701
GGs to the 3ds player "Frosty". Great Mario/Falcon. I was the Sheik/Faclon tag:NugRun. Great game except my epic needle slide fail lol

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Played someone last night with the tag Bootyclap.

Is this @BootyClap ?

If so, GG to you. I played DH against you.

hondahustle

Smash Rookie
NNID
clintonef9
So is Mew2King the real Internet celeberity? Wouldn't mind having a rematch anytime if you you want. GG by the way. My am online was Clinton and I used mew2, megaman and marth.

nugrun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NugRun
3DS FC
2122-8507-8701
3DS tag "Mack"- your fox,ness and jigs were very good! Our connection was also very clean which allowed for some crisp matches. GGs man

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
GGs to a Shulk/Falcon user named "Ian". Your Falcon was perhaps the best I have faced even surpassing my own. Your ability to punish is 10/10. Flippin awesome matches. Only complaint I have was that horrendous lag in the later matches.

I was [SB]Metal who used a Red Donkey Kong/JigglyPuff/and Red Falcon.

Zenmetsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Trecket
3DS FC
3308-5213-6704
Just played someone named zapd0s on 3DS FG, they played Marth, Ike and Lucina and we had some cool Marth vs Lucina matches. I would love to play you again to learn more about Marth.

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
Wii-U: Anyone here heard of someone named "Kevin" or "iluvkes(?). Wii-U name is gardner159. Guy was beastly, I even busted out random characters I hardly ever use and did decently against him.

If you're on this board, GG's man. Those were fun.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I forgot his/her name, but the Japanese player played Ganon in ways I've never seen before and I use him frequently. He was quite speedy too. I go by 21Gmix if he just happens to stumble across here.

Top Bottom