• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I retired smash today. If you wanna know why, check out my other thread. I may be around though to come back and try to answer some questions every now and then on the Falco forums. But this forum is basically being donated to all good falcos or just falcos with knowledge that can help others. So please do.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Practice. It's a simple motion, but you may be shooting it too late and then fastfalling and not shooting, or not fastfalling.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
This is a stupid question, I know, but its really starting to piss me off. I dont main falco, but he is definetly one of my better characters. My buddy uses Marth, and he freakin loves to shield grap ->throw (forward, back, or down, no up CG, cant do it) -> smash attack. I can usually tech roll out of this with other characters, but with falco I nearly ALWAYS get hit after my first bounce on ground. I have tried to DI better, but Im just not sure what i should do. So, I hate to throw out such a stupid question, but could someone give me a fairly detailed explanation of what I should do (not just DI better or tech roll better, please). Thanks

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Don't get shield grabbed? Chances are if you L-cancel to shine quickly you can get him. Also. who else do you play? Falco does fall faster than almost every other character from Marth's grab. If he always F-smash the way that he throws you, you can techroll behind him and tack advantage of the lag. I think the only thing you can do at low percentage is to tech it, no DI will put you out of his range.

Adi

Smash Lord
First off that's probably more PM material, second off video files are generally too large to e-mail, third off if it's taking you a long time to stream stuff on youtube, it will take you ridiculously long to download it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'm sure the search function would find my answer, but asking is the easier route. How many frames of lag are added to a waveshine if you turn around in the shine before wavedashing out of it?

Nizbel

Smash Rookie
What kinds of combo can I do out of waveshines looks like a good idea but I would think going after him while he's stunned in the air and tech chase or wtv would be more effective.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
All i know bout a good double ledge laser is that you gotta tap the control stick down and up (let go of the stick after you tap up) press b right after and move left/right towards stage. I think the most mistake ppl make is that they try to move towards the stage b4 the lasering so the timing gets delayed. I don't know, this may not be the only way to do it, but ledge hop > laser > move towards stage is my way.

Anyways, I need an opinion on using Falco Phantasm. I know ppl bash on it b/c of its downtime on it and all, but I like to use it alot. It pisses off the ppl i play because its not something they wuold expect. Plus you look hella cool if you use it for combos/meteor :D

But then I dont know if i should use it competitively, is it too risky or worth the risk?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If you use it and the opponent shields, you're screwed. If you use it repetitively, you will become screwed. If you try to combo with it, you'll screw yourself.

The phantasm is usually a bad idea as part of a combo because there will almost always be a better option. However, on stages like Pokemon Stadium where you can consistently cancel the lag, it has some use, albeit situational use.

PuppetMaster12

Smash Cadet
Hey I know this was probably answered a LONG time ago but I just wanted to know how to make Falco's short hop laser hit Mid consistently. If someone could tell me how to do it on the controller and/or what to look for on the TV screen in terms of timing it would be much appreciated. Thanks

rice

Smash Journeyman
This is a stupid question, I know, but its really starting to piss me off. I dont main falco, but he is definetly one of my better characters. My buddy uses Marth, and he freakin loves to shield grap ->throw (forward, back, or down, no up CG, cant do it) -> smash attack. I can usually tech roll out of this with other characters, but with falco I nearly ALWAYS get hit after my first bounce on ground. I have tried to DI better, but Im just not sure what i should do. So, I hate to throw out such a stupid question, but could someone give me a fairly detailed explanation of what I should do (not just DI better or tech roll better, please). Thanks
Well. if he can shield grab you're l-canceled d-air(i assume, and im assuming you can l-cancel) there are a few other choices. Just laser into him and shine is one of them. Another is to never land in front of his shield. You can pass him by with a n-air then shine or u-tilt.
If you repeatedly keep getting shield grabbed...don't attack his shield, or just grab him instead. Just think about it.....

And about the side-b phantasm recovery....its only good to use if you need to reach the ledge really fast, ledge cancel, mindgame the other person by doing the short phantasm then landing on the ledge. Another good time to use it is when you think they'd never expect it aka. don't use it the entire round til near the end or so (still may be a bad idea....but best chance you get to use that move) other that that, the move sucks really bad, really easy to rread, and is very punishable, the move has like no priority.

Hey I know this was probably answered a LONG time ago but I just wanted to know how to make Falco's short hop laser hit Mid consistently. If someone could tell me how to do it on the controller and/or what to look for on the TV screen in terms of timing it would be much appreciated. Thanks
well... just practice getting as close to mid as you can.... if you are shooting too high, than you are either not fastfalling fast enough, or you press B to early. Just practice it, its not that important to get it mid everytime... Just use the lasers to stop them from attacking you, and to keep them in their shield.....

PuppetMaster12

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help with that rice i'll work on that man. Now i guess my next question is what should I do on the controller to do waveshining effectively(consistently) with either falco or fox if it makes a difference. and if u could, could u tell me how to do it using the jump button and/or if u can't tell me whether I should switch to control stick. And if u say switch to control stick could u tell me how to do the shining on it. Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I guess if u know how to do it with both I'd like to know both methods. Hope to hear from u soon. Peace

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I usually use Y for waveshining, just press Down B, then slide you finger to either side and wavedash. I could do it on the first day once I realized I could slide the finger instead of going back to neutral...

rice

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help with that rice i'll work on that man. Now i guess my next question is what should I do on the controller to do waveshining effectively(consistently) with either falco or fox if it makes a difference. and if u could, could u tell me how to do it using the jump button and/or if u can't tell me whether I should switch to control stick. And if u say switch to control stick could u tell me how to do the shining on it. Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I guess if u know how to do it with both I'd like to know both methods. Hope to hear from u soon. Peace

well, i only use the control stick to jump when im in a shine in the air. Other than that i use X to jump. Just shine, then after it hits, do a simple wavedash, its a really slow motion, so as long as it works just keep at it. after you get the hang of that, speed it up until its the fastest that can be done...(thats for falco) Fox, just wavedash out of shine as fast as you can. well, your hand should look like, v - B, for the shine, then it should roll diagonally into the direction, then wavedash and repeat.

Jacko

Smash Apprentice
I jump with x (except for ledgehopped double lasers), and use a and the control stick for my aerials and wavedash with L

I know that most people that are good jump with y (or up sometimes for jc shines) and use the c stick for aerials

I can do all of falco's advanced techs pretty easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJOSHIMhmw (wavedashing in video is really bad but I can do much better)

would it benefit me to change or should I just stay with what feels comfortable?

PuppetMaster12

Smash Cadet
Thank you guys so much for your help. It is really much appreciated. Knowing that I can roll and/or slide my fingers across will make a big difference with both Fox and Falco I'm sure. With that I'm going to go practice and see how it works out. Good stuff guys, talk to ya'll later. Peace

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hey Dashizwiz, been a long time on this thread for me. Congratulations on doing so well at FC Diamond in your matches, especially the crew battles. :laugh:
I apologize for you being bombarded with questions, but it's still great to see you motivated to teach kids around the nation "the way" (Forward interviews falco!)

So, my two questions concern the double shine pillar. I've referred to Scotu's shield pressuring guide, and the double shine pillar is the most efficient guaranteed way to break an opponent's shield without getting TOO technical (eg Multishine...triple waveshine...etc)

1. I can double shine with ease, and I can shuffle an ideal dair (for the pillar) with ease. I can do them separately, but I just can't seem to combine them. I guess it comes with practice, and I use the control stick for the JC shine AND the dair. Any tips?

2. Considering I do the double shine pillar correctly, I just cannot get the timing against a shield well. Either I do the dair too early, too late, or just lose my JC timing because of the shield stun and hitlag. Any more tips?

:p Thanks again Shiz!
Sliraobe God

rice

Smash Journeyman
sliarobe ....
can you do a doubleshine consistantly against a shield, and pillar a shield correctly?
when you hit a shield with a shine, it slows down the timing for the next jc'd shine. So doing it to nothing is way different then doing it to a shield.
And.... i dunno, if you are doing it correctly
the best way to practice is to go to vs mode, .5 ratio against a space animal, then just practice doubleshine pillaring while hitting him.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
You need to update the first page to show your amazing acomplishments at FC Diamond and the tournament where you beat Forward in :)

mathos

Smash Champion
Right, what I'm saying is that they'll play Brawl competitively, thereby not be retired.

And what about Wario eating my sweetness?

Repryx

Smash Champion
But Im saying...that they still play Melee...and yah Wario can eat projectiles like a lil ***** ARRGH NO MORE DC MIZWARD

Top Bottom