• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Yeah it's pretty sad. I double shine in place with the analog stick almost perfectly. But b y b is hard lol. It's supposed to be the other way around! i can dair shine shine dair shine shine repeat. this is a tiny bit off subject but i'm screwed. I needed a new controller. So I bought a cool platinum one. When I went to go use it, it felt really really soft. Like not firm. I couldn't wavedash with it or nothing. So I took apart my old black one and the platinum one mixed them up so i had two black and platinum controllers. But that still didn't work so

I put them back to normal and i'm selling the platinum one on ebay and with roughly half of my money back i'm buying a new one lol (black) (purple) . As you are a fellow falco brethren I know you know how important a specific feel is to a falco player regarding the controller that is. I'm just asking what you would do shiz

my old controller has no rubber on the analog stick the c stick is half chewed off and its got a ton of battle scars lol. The bare analog stick tears my thumb up.

EDIT My buttons are getting wore out too. So there isn't that much bounce back. I MUST need a new controlleR

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Kamikaze Falco:
If you really want to stick with that controller maybe try to put hot glue on the thumb stick sorta let it dry then stick your thumb on it to make a print of your finger on the glue. I used this method to fix my favorite controller, but its not permanent and the feeling of the joystick isn't perfect but it helps preserve the controller for a little longer.

Now for a couple Falco questions:

1) For some reason I JC a shine then go up hit another shine and JC that one to, I always end up JCing the first one fine, shine, and get stuck in the second shine without being able to JC the second one. Is there some special timing I'm missing or not hitting or something?

2) I also am having alot of trouble shine shine dair combing to burn shields. I'm thinking maybe its because I am stuck in the habit of using the control to JC my shines.

3) Lastly I need help LHDL. I can do it but only shooting one lazer. Does that meen I'm not jumping after I drop to early, to late, DIing wrong, or something else.

Oh and maybe you should compile some of the more common questions and answers (like an FAQ) in the first post because I know my questions may have already been answered but this is getting to be to much info to sort through (even with the search function). I feel that these answers provided in this post are much more helpful and advanced than the vague, simple ones given in the Falco Guide (props to the person who created that, it still has alot of useful in, but it is almost not feasible to provide the kind of help provided here in that one thread).

Anyway thanks Da Shiz Wiz for repping us as Falco players so well, and also for all the help you been providing us.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
Yeah it's pretty sad. I double shine in place with the analog stick almost perfectly. But b y b is hard lol. It's supposed to be the other way around! i can dair shine shine dair shine shine repeat. this is a tiny bit off subject but i'm screwed. I needed a new controller. So I bought a cool platinum one. When I went to go use it, it felt really really soft. Like not firm. I couldn't wavedash with it or nothing. So I took apart my old black one and the platinum one mixed them up so i had two black and platinum controllers. But that still didn't work so

I put them back to normal and i'm selling the platinum one on ebay and with roughly half of my money back i'm buying a new one lol (black) (purple) . As you are a fellow falco brethren I know you know how important a specific feel is to a falco player regarding the controller that is. I'm just asking what you would do.

my old controller has no rubber on the analog stick the c stick is half chewed off and its got a ton of battle scars lol. The bare analog stick tears my thumb up.
u cant just buy a new control and expect it to work as quik as 1 of ur old one's u need to play with it for a couple months until its properly broken in. i had this same promlem with 1 of my new purple control. it wus realy slow and didint respont that quikly. so u just gotta giv the new wun some time.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Kamikaze, can you do the Dair shine shine on shields or just on the ground? And controllers, I figured this problem out a while ago. The good ones IMO are the old ones. So rescently I bought a used controller, and it works pretty fine. So I advise buying a used controller, those are broken in. And they feel nice and loose :).

ReadySetGo, are you talking about trying to do the double shine on the ground when you get stuck? Or are you talking about doing a shine to bair?

The LHDL, hmmmm the best way to do that is using the control stick. Just push down and then up from the stage, and then after you shoot the first laser or after you push B, immediately start moving forwards while pushing B.

And doing the double shining on the ground, your just having problems with it because you need to master the timing of it, you can do it with the conrol stick or the Y Button, I just use Y because I'm more comfortable with that one.

saberhof

Smash Master
ok im very used to Wavedashing lots, but i dont really use it for anything, just for evading smashes or getting away.what SHOULD i be using the wavedash for?...

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
DaShiz is not, on, poo...

Anyways, my friend has had the game since release, and it took us a year to find advanced tactics and such. Here the problem, he wants to be a good falco, but he CANNOT use the C-stick, and he really is having trouble changing, should he, is it possible to have a tourney ready falco (INNsomnia) that uses the A button, he is fairly good at it....

Answer anyone good

MasterGary

Smash Ace

Anyways, my friend has had the game since release, and it took us a year to find advanced tactics and such. Here the problem, he wants to be a good falco, but he CANNOT use the C-stick, and he really is having trouble changing, should he, is it possible to have a tourney ready falco (INNsomnia) that uses the A button, he is fairly good at it....

Answer anyone good
if he is good at it and it works for him why should he change? even though its faster if he can make the a button fast then it shudint b a problem.

Smash Journeyman

Answer anyone good
lol just cuz you use a certain button doesn't mean your not ready for a tourny. its your skill
that determines that factor though i cant see why he wouldn't use the c-stick at all lol.

saberhof

Smash Master
ok combos, the only combo i know is pillaring, and i dont think thats considerd comboing, ive been told. so any combos youv got that can help?. ive got everything down(shffl,FF,L-cancel, etc, etc...)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I thought so, bue he is having trouble with the SFFLS, so I was wondering if he should change now, the problem is, should he continue at amatuer level, or start at beginer with better habits

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
The Black Rose, I would say against Samus missles, do a nair vs them. And vs Doc's pills just try to avoid them as much as you can, like let it hit the floor and then run under it and attack them. Or jump over it and come down with an aerial against your opponent. You have to try to pressure them so they really don't have the chance to even shoot pills. Doc's pills annoy me lol.

Kenshin, maybe your not L-canceling right. You have to make sure you hit your L-canels perfectly, that will help the situation. But if you are L-canceling right, then its just because its possible to grab you out of your shield. No materr how fast you do it, I'm pretty sure someone can grab you out of your shield. I get shield grabbed and I l-canel perfectly. It just depends on your opponents timing. Some can do it, some can't.

Uptilt, you have to be in the animation of your first move before you do an uptilt, I'll talk to you about this later today I have to go to school.
tight tight thanx 4 the info ill aply that one more quick question what other characters do u play and what cahracters might u think could be easly a secoundary for someone who mains falco

marth's son 10

Smash Cadet
The combos are sweet with Falco. It's one of the only styles that I can fight with when I'm using him. Also, it doesn't really matter about the C-stick or A-analog.

kenshin7631

Smash Rookie
@Blackrose It really depends on the person which character is best for him/her. Like I use Peach as my secondary which is completely different from Falco and I can still beat some of my friends with Peach. I tried using other characters like Marth and it didnt work out for me at all so I think you should just try each character and pick the character that feels most comfortable for you.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
ok combos, the only combo i know is pillaring, and i dont think thats considerd comboing, ive been told. so any combos youv got that can help?. ive got everything down(shffl,FF,L-cancel, etc, etc...)
u shud watch sum of shiz's vids bomb soldiers vids and other good falco's vids. ull lern alot of combos from them.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Falco's Uair can kill floaties from shines, it can also be used in some combos for juggling and such. Basically everyone of Falco's moves are useful in some way or another, it just all depends on how you want to use them. Like I said though Shine-Uair (or any move that gets Marth above you) on Marth at higher percents owns him.

saberhof

Smash Master
u shud watch sum of shiz's vids bomb soldiers vids and other good falco's vids. ull lern alot of combos from them.
i have seen it all, i just dont catch any of the combos he uses Wave dash, i know he has lots of shine combos and other stuff, but i see him mostly using it for evading or getting away.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
i have seen it all, i just dont catch any of the combos he uses Wave dash, i know he has lots of shine combos and other stuff, but i see him mostly using it for evading or getting away.
have u watched soldier of fortune? there is a part where he's fighting a fox. he u-throws>shine>jump>dair>shine>wavedash to follow oponent>u-air. i think thats how the combo went. well da point im tyin to make is when u use sertain combo's u can use wavesashing to follow ur emenmy and continue the combo. just use ur imagination

jacobrhcp

Smash Apprentice
wavedashing is primarly an evasive/cliffhang technique tho.

In combos (and mindplay for example sheiks chainthrow), it helps too. But you can go ballistic with combo's without any WDs. Just try playing so much you just know when to do what (its what I did). You'll notice very quick when you can multiple dash attack, utilt, pillar or shine/jump/shine/jump/ada and when to f/u smash.

And masterGary when are you gonna improve that English ;)

MasterGary

Smash Ace
wavedashing is primarly an evasive/cliffhang technique tho.

And masterGary when are you gonna improve that English ;)
never. i just dont feel the need to use proper gramar and puntuation and spelling when im online. as long as the ppl understand what ur saying that the most important things. isint it?

Handorin

Smash Hero
It is sometimes hard to understand what people say, especially when they dont use commas or periods when needed. It's usually only a one letter differance anyway.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
No its not. wats so hard about understanding abbreviated stuff. and 1 letter saves alot of time.

but anyway i still seriously suck at falco dittos, and people keep wanting to mm me n falco dittos. i'm losing alot of money declining those matches

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
@Blackrose It really depends on the person which character is best for him/her. Like I use Peach as my secondary which is completely different from Falco and I can still beat some of my friends with Peach. I tried using other characters like Marth and it didnt work out for me at all so I think you should just try each character and pick the character that feels most comfortable for you.
alright cool i think im gunna use jiggs as my second alough i wanna play fox but it just doesnt seem right also but every time i start using a second character it seems my first gets worse in some ways but better in others? u know what i mean?

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
What is falco's uair good for?
falco's uair is really good as a shine to combo like dair-shine-shine-uair,..,the real question should be what is falco's fair good for? srry for double posting but this move really bugs me it seems useless ...too laggy

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
but anyway i still seriously suck at falco dittos, and people keep wanting to mm me n falco dittos. i'm losing alot of money declining those matches

Here are a few tips when it comes to Falco dittos (actually they're more like guidelines):

1) Get short hop lazer control
2) Get a shine off
3) Combo from shine
4) Take the stock off

During Falco dittos seeing as Falco combos himself so well from the shine you and your opponent will pretty much sell your souls to hit one shine, because one shine can put you in the place to stock your opponent, granted that you are a good Falco player. Thats why SHL control is very important. If your oponent is being stunned by lazers your and he isn't stunning you with his lazer, then your in control and you should be able to get a shine in. So that is a pivotal point in the match, anytime you see an opportunity to gain SHL control, you have to go for it, because it puts them on defense and quite frankly Falco is the definition of offense. The next step is to get your shine off. This is where it gets sorta tricky (although if your on Final D and you have step one on lock down the shouldn't be as hard), you both are anticipating the shine and you both want to hit it and this is what separates the men from the boys. See the thing is here that you both know all the setups for shines so you both know when to watch for it, so this is where mind games play the biggest role. You have to find some method to get your opponent in the shine (maybe if he has been shield grabbing your aerials all game, fake one land right out of his range and WD into him and shine him, or something along those lines) so you can combo. After you find the hole and hit the shine, go ahead and combo away, work the stuff your most comforatable with. And definitly don't get repetitive with your approaches into shines, if you use something once and it fails try something else next time, mistakes are magnified in this match up, one minor mess up can land you right in an opponents shine/combo. After all this he should be high enough percent to get rid of the stock. I personnally like Shine-Bair Da Shiz Wiz style.

The thing that makes Falco dittos so much more interesting than other character dittos is that the better Falco will win 9 times out of 10. This is because the ditto plays off of things that make good Falco players good (Smooth Combos, SHL, Hitting Shines). So the only real way to win Falco dittos more consistently is training. It is also helpful if you understand the physics of Falco and how to combo him and that comes from playing against experienced Falco players. So anytime you get a chance to ditto a good Falco jump on it, losing is what makes you better, and winning is what makes it worth losing.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
i got ya but do u have tips on getting of them lazers. i got good lazer control and everything and i can combo good after i get a shine n but my problem is i always get caught n there lazers first. if i could get around the other persons lazers i could easily gain control of the match.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
If there are platforms you should use those to evade the lasers and approach, or fall off the platform into a laser in between theirs. If you can powershield, that obviously would guaranteee laser control, but shine works sometimes as well, but beware the lagtime afterwards.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
If there are platforms you should use those to evade the lasers and approach, or fall off the platform into a laser in between theirs. If you can powershield, that obviously would guaranteee laser control, but shine works sometimes as well, but beware the lagtime afterwards.
this sounds like good advice but honestly i wanna know who here can actualy power shield consistently under pressure?

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
this sounds like good advice but honestly i wanna know who here can actualy power shield consistently under pressure?

The truth is no one, and if anyone says they can its a lie. You can watch all the best players in the world and not one of them can consistantly power shield, but that doesn't mean if you see the opportunity you shouldn't try it because the worst that can happen is you shield the projectile (which is what you would probably normally do anyway).

As for avoiding other people's lazers (and anyone else's projectiles for that matter) the best thing to do is work the platforms and get good at it, its a nice strategy for Falcos to work against any projectile spammers.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I don't know bout y'all, but I use Reflector in just about all of my aerial, grab, & ground combos with Falco & stopping opponents combinations. Some of them are showoff'ish & flashy, some of them are not.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
This is not really a techinical question, but it could be a combo question if you look at it right...

Anyway, I have only one friend who plays smash, and he is not free a lot, so how should I practice, I have a brother, but he is a little noobish, he just jumps around throwing non canceled shines after I showed him shinespiking....

How should I practice, I can SHL, L cancel, all the techie stuff, I just need to work on my combos, they are lacking, but that is no good with the coms crappy DI..

HELP

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Thanks, I like the work of bombsoldier, but he needs some DI and counterpicking skill, no matter how good at the combos he is....

But who am I to talk, he is bombsoldier.. Thanks for the advice, anyone else have a good way to practice?

Top Bottom