• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

dReAMCloUd - Assault K 40

Smash Apprentice
Don't post in this thread if you have no new discoveries nor additional technical discoveries.......BTW of which there are very few. The only combo I could think is even worth mentiioning in a thread like this would be THUNDER but that doesn't even apply for falco........LOL a thread like this should be closed when first started.....it's just a bunch of new people talking about old **** that's already in the guides.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
that's... not really true. if you read this topic you'll find many new things, some of which are pretty useful - thats beacuse people with more experience than you usually know more than you do, so as long as you're not the best of the world, there's always stuff for you to learn.

speaking of which. i got confronted again today by the surprising range of the jab. try it, it reaches out soooo far. and since the jab's very important to any defensive game i thought i'd let you know right. =P

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
I have trouble doing SHL. I could do them but the thing is I usually shoot backwards when I go forwards to shoot my enemy and if I try to leave my thumb on the control stick and do my SHL's I don't go forward that much.

I also having trouble doing uptilt. I try to just hold the control stick a bit up and press A but sometimes I jump or do a up smash which screws me over.

When I dash attack or SH nair my opponent just shields and grab. What are some ways to prevent the grabbing?
For the SHL, if you leave your thumb on the control stick - so you manually return it to the center before you press B - then I guess you're indeed pressing the control stick to far away. However, if you do a SHL from running, you're already running the right way so you only need to jump and press B, basically. Try to get this down first before moveing to Reverse SHL.

For the uptilt: a LOT of people have that problem. The key is anticipating; you have to know in advance you are going to use the utilt so you can tilt the control stick up before actually doing the utit. Say you are dairing a Fox, then waveshine to utilt - you should tilt the control stick up during the end of the wavedash, so you only have to press A after the wavedash to do the utilt nice and safely.
And it takes practice as well - try to tilt it as less up as possible resulting in an utilt.
And don't use dashattack on a shielding opponent unless you'll go past him. ^^

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
Don't post in this thread if you have no new discoveries nor additional technical discoveries.......BTW of which there are very few. The only combo I could think is even worth mentiioning in a thread like this would be THUNDER but that doesn't even apply for falco........LOL a thread like this should be closed when first started.....it's just a bunch of new people talking about old **** that's already in the guides.
lol then why are u posting. but seriously bro don't say nothing if u don't know **** about what u tlking about

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion

Lol, you are so right. A thread like this should be closed as soon as its made, its so unhelpful it only has 50+ pages of info.

If you have a question just ask, but don't come in the thread and flame it.

This thread is to teach combos, advanced stuff, strategies etc.

I havn't seen in any other Falco threads talking about JC'ed shines to break shields and etc(I originated that for Falco). Or havn't seen any other threads literally say how to do a combo step by step, or how to teach anything step by step.

But hey what do I know?

Smash Apprentice
LOL it's funny shiz, I didn't say that all the posts were useless.....just the thread in general. I don't want to have to sift through 50 friggin pages just to get to a few important details....after all what are guides and faqs for. This kind of thread should be left for innovation, not discussing the old, or even things like shl, or "how to shine combo."

As I've been told quite a few times, use the -----> Search <-------- button, and even better watch the matches, talking about things won't help much unless you're good enough to use the stuff.

Also, JC"ed shines are nothing new, and breaking the shield with them isn't either. -----> Pro-smasher Tim. It's just tougher to do than most other "techs." Also.....your version of breaking shield, which is pillar to double shine can actually be rolled out of. The real question is, can you do 4 or 5 on a shield at a time, that's more useful. However I'm pretty sure you can roll outta those too, after all you can activate roll on the first possible frame, although with hit-lag and all maybe not.

As for doing combos step by step............hmmm....and one wonders why there are so many foxes and falcos yet so few actually good ones. People asking about this **** think that the two animals should be played mechanically, go ahead and do that, but you won't beat chillin or azen in a ditto doing that ****. In reality, combos themselves should be innovative. Why's bombsolider so good at comboing? Cuz he does what's necessary to keep the combo going, he ADAPTS. People need to figure these things out for themselves.

This fits nicely, and everyone's heard it but, "You can give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, but if you teach him to fish then he'll eat for the rest of his days."

Oh yah and

I AM RIGHT

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Queen: Of course you agree with him, I'm already used to that. Bequiet, I own you in tournaments.

Dreamcloud: Ok lol, saying the thread shouldn't be hear is your opinion. Which doesn't matter. Why are you still talking? Lol, no one cares. The Majority of people think this should be here and even stickied. I really don't need a conflict. This thread is mainly for anyone that needs help, so they can get it delivered to them personally. Most Falco guides are by people who are descently good but know a ton about Falco. See I consider myself very good with Falco, I know a lot about the character, and I know what to do at almost any situation. For an example *QueenDVS*, adapts to peoples playing styles. He is not that good at comboing but trys to counter your style. See I will learn a strategy against the Character, and then apply it to the person I'm fighting, which works extremely well for me (I learn certain combos, things to do at certain damages etc.)

This thread is mainly for the people that want to learn things against Certain characters, and what works best on them, or just to learn some new stuff.

And the JC'ed shines, please read what I say before you just say anything. I put in parenthesis for Falco because I originated it for Falco.

Superryan lol.

Best101

Smash Ace
Ok, I hope you can help me. I'm trying to do something called JC Shine (Not the one when you shine then jump immediately out of it). It's where you shine then jump immediately then shine again so that you do two or more shines without lifting of off the ground. How should I hold my controller so I can pull this off fast enough to do any good, like Bombsoldier does. (I always thought he shined then WS in place and shined again.)

Smash Apprentice
What a joke.......you thought of that? I don't think so in fact I know so. People were trying to do that way before you, some people were even able to do it....just didn't because it's flashy and entirely not necessary to win. In fact if you want to do that you might as well practice your heart out doing 10 in a row.....become a machine cuz it seems that's what your aiming for.

Also, whether you thought of that with falco or not is irrelevant, the relevant fact is that you use it to break shields which has been done before your time? There's a german kid who's a lot older who's been doing it since 1.5 -2 years ago.

In addition, I'm pointing out the fact that instead of having such a long-winded thread with a ridiculous number of posts, why not just have an open-forum guide.......meaning people can add too and review on a whim, however only those people who are qualified to do so. So in other words the most..."intelligible" falco players have their own open-forum guide...etc......... and no this is not a response meant for you so much as the MODS, do you hear me, actually do something and change this madness.

P.S. For being "good" at JC'ing shines you sure haven't given much worthwhile advice. Here's my 2 cents,

JC shines : For practicing purposes try this, jump and then cancel your jump with a single shine, do this until you pretty much know the timing for your shine right after the jump. Once you know the timing, and can execute fairly consistently, a SINGLE JC shine, try to chain two of them together. After this repeat and practice, and eventually you'll be able to JC shine on command, well at the very least two of them, similarly try doing this against a starmanned bot or player/CP and you'll find out the timing is a little bit different/slower. Thus you will learn how to JC shine a shield. With that done, have fun incorporating this insane **** into your play.......wavedash back......wavedash forward JC SHINES!!!! showoffs galore

lengeta

Smash Ace
This is a community, and a thread in a forum is just a discussion. Nobody is asking anyone else to sift through fifty-five pages of text to get help. Shiz is simply letting anyone ask him questions to help improve their Falco, then he and the rest of the community provide feedback. Threads like this are the reason forums exist.

Sheik seems to be showing up in tournaments a lot more after she seemed to take a break. What specific stratigies to you use on a Sheik that differ from your regular Falco game, Shiz?

Handorin

Smash Hero
And that post comes from someone with 15 post and joined this month. He must be pro.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Actually pillaring isn't necesary in all its entirety but it can be helpfull to mid level players. The top pro's "usually" don't just stand there and let you pillar them because as they are getting daired they receive knockback and can di somewhat allowing them to roll out of it. So I am really not about the pillaring but it does prove usefull in some situations. I don't know call me a not technical non flashy falco lol.

Smash Apprentice
Handorin......Fool, you think this is my only account.........don't judge what you don't know, also I could be pro, which I'm not, and have posted 5 times total on smashboards, FYI, Joe Bushman, a very technical player and more knowledgeable than practically anyone doesn't even have a friggin account. Shows how much you know about the game/players.

Presume more.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Actually pillaring isn't necesary in all its entirety but it can be helpfull to mid level players. The top pro's "usually" don't just stand there and let you pillar them because as they are getting daired they receive knockback and can di somewhat allowing them to roll out of it. So I am really not about the pillaring but it does prove usefull in some situations. I don't know call me a not technical non flashy falco lol.
without pillaring, the pro's *would* probably just stand there with shield so they can shieldgrab. so pillar's extremely useful to know. without it everyone's just 'hey lets shieldgrab this mofo.' that you don't use it on pro's doesnt mean that its not useful vs pro's you actually need it.

the same like standing next to someone lying down with your shield up. ofc pro's wont use standup-attack because they know they'd get shieldgrabbed. but you still put your shield up because, otherwise, they use the stand-up attack. =P

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
Yo Shiz, with the JC shine I'm assuming you just do the whole jump, shine, jump, shine, jump, shine. Well I've tried that and I don't think that my fingers are fast enough for that. However I can do a limited amount of wavedash into ground, shine, wavedash into ground, shine, etc. Do you know if doing it with that method is just as effective as jumping or what? Thanks.

And no I didn't read ever single post in this thread, way to many. So if this question in particular has been asked then sorry.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
without pillaring, the pro's *would* probably just stand there with shield so they can shieldgrab. so pillar's extremely useful to know. without it everyone's just 'hey lets shieldgrab this mofo.' that you don't use it on pro's doesnt mean that its not useful vs pro's you actually need it.

the same like standing next to someone lying down with your shield up. ofc pro's wont use standup-attack because they know they'd get shieldgrabbed. but you still put your shield up because, otherwise, they use the stand-up attack. =P

True for the most part. But I know for a fact double triple shines aren't necessary. And by the way i didn't understand the second part <_<

To SHELLSHOCK The wavedash shine that you can do is not fast enough to break a shield because you will just get shield grabbed but it does prove very useful in comboing opponents. For example you shine a fox and he goes in the air above you (assuming somewhat low damage) he di's the the right. You wavedash which jc's your shine and you follow his di and jump in the air and dair him which sends him down to the ground. You need to fast fall that and shine him again and repeat the process and when he comes back down you can up air. (You need to be able to shffl everything move) Sry if this is confusing.

Shiz if you want to clear this up you can lol. In the meantime just worry about dair, shine, dair, shine and not about double or triple shines. If you can't shffl well than make that your first priority

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Handorin......Fool, you think this is my only account.........don't judge what you don't know, also I could be pro, which I'm not, and have posted 5 times total on smashboards, FYI, Joe Bushman, a very technical player and more knowledgeable than practically anyone doesn't even have a friggin account. Shows how much you know about the game/players.

Presume more.

Who cares about who doesn't have an account, I certaintly don't. If you got nothing to ask about falco and are here to just flame than stop.

And for another thing your not even supposed to have more than one account FYI

Sry for double post <_<

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
True for the most part. But I know for a fact double triple shines aren't necessary. And by the way i didn't understand the second part <_<

To SHELLSHOCK The wavedash shine that you can do is not fast enough to break a shield because you will just get shield grabbed but it does prove very useful in comboing opponents. For example you shine a fox and he goes in the air above you (assuming somewhat low damage) he di's the the right. You wavedash which jc's your shine and you follow his di and jump in the air and dair him which sends him down to the ground. You need to fast fall that and shine him again and repeat the process and when he comes back down you can up air. (You need to be able to shffl everything move) Sry if this is confusing.

Shiz if you want to clear this up you can lol. In the meantime just worry about dair, shine, dair, shine and not about double or triple shines. If you can't shffl well than make that your first priority
well i do agree that the double triple shines arent necessary but if you can do em good enough to break a shield, well, it cant be rolled out of (i asked this pro smasher tim guy a few weeks ago when i saw him at a tourney, im sure he knows right).
and for the second part, what i meant was, if the opponent is lying there next to you and about to get up, you put up your shield right, and pro's know that you will so they dont do the stand-up-attack. but you still get up your shield because if you dont they WILL use the stand-up attack. its a form of mindgames that applies to pillaring as well. you dont have to do but if its sure you wont do it you'll get ****ed.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
well i do agree that the double triple shines arent necessary but if you can do em good enough to break a shield, well, it cant be rolled out of (i asked this pro smasher tim guy a few weeks ago when i saw him at a tourney, im sure he knows right).
and for the second part, what i meant was, if the opponent is lying there next to you and about to get up, you put up your shield right, and pro's know that you will so they dont do the stand-up-attack. but you still get up your shield because if you dont they WILL use the stand-up attack. its a form of mindgames that applies to pillaring as well. you dont have to do but if its sure you wont do it you'll get ****ed.
So if I don't pillar than i'll be screwed? Like I understand the getting up and shielding vice versa but if I don't do what ill be screwed.

Handorin

Smash Hero

Presume more.
Indeed. I should have put my sarcasm tags around my last post. I apologize. Im sure you either A) Was any good at the game or B) Were well known and did not have many post, you would say so, and not use profanity or derogitory statements. Since you havnt stated any of those and havnt said anything nice yet (That I have seen), it brings about a bad aura.

I did know Joe Bushman did not have an account. I have even met him, have you?

End of discussion on my part. I dont want to spam this thread up any more.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
So if I don't pillar than i'll be screwed? Like I understand the getting up and shielding vice versa but if I don't do what ill be screwed.
no, if you can't pillar you're screwed vs pro's. because altho it is true that you wont pillar pro's because they'll roll away or sth, its also true that if you *cant* pillar, pro's will just stay in their shields and grab you.
so if you cant pillar you cant attack pro's head on their shields which is one of falco's main advantages.

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice

Thanks for the reply kamikaze falco, and no it wasn't confusing. I'm pretty good at doing the dair to shine over and over (that would be considered shffl right?), so yeah I can do pillaring but still needs work. As for using wavedash out of shine to follow DI I'm still working on that as well. I'm getting there, but I still got a lot more work ahead of me with Falco. With the JC shining, I'll stop doing the wavedash into ground thing and just try to work my fingers faster. Once again thanks for the reply and if I think of any more questions I'll make sure to ask them here, since there at least seems to be some knowledgeable people in the thread.

AxemRanger

Smash Rookie
I need help with Falco, so I'm looking forward to any advice I can get. I can SHL and Shffl, tech pretty well, Pillar when I get a chance to, have some decent combo ability, etc. I think I L-Cancel most of my arials, but I'm not quite sure... would I know it if I didn't? I notice sometimes I jam on the C-Stick, and nothing happens. Is this the result of a failed L-Cancel?

Also notice that Wavedashing and Waveshining are not on that list. I can wavedash, I guess, but I usually either get Falco's air-dodge "gasp" or my shield comes up. So the only thing I ever use it for is for wavedashing into a grab. I need major help with it, but all the advice I've read hasn't done much to help. One thing I'm wondering: which shoulder buttons do most people use? I ONLY use L, for shield grabbing, shielding, dodging, wavedashing, etc. and I'm wondering if I should put some tasks on R? It feels very weird to me now, but if it got me wavedashing it would be worth it.

Also I'd like some advice on a Falco Ditto match. My housemate and I play a lot, an hour or two a day at least, both as Falco. He can't SHL and I don't think he l-cancels very well, but can shuffl, tech, and do most of the other stuff. No wavedashes though.

Our playing is kind of an Arms Race: one of us learns or starts using something new, and the other loses until he can counter it. Recently my roomate's been starting to play a very defensive game, and I'm having a lot of trouble with it. He'll dodge everything I do, shield my shuffles and get the shield grab, etc. Also he's been standing on the edge just doing short hop Dairs, and it's KILLING me. He spikes me on tons of my recoveries, with tiny damage. Is this even really a tactic in the higher levels of play? I don't see it that much, which makes me think there's a way to counter it. Any advice?

Another thing that really boils my blood is him is him doing short hop back arials across the stage at me. What should I do in this situation? If I shield he 'bounces' off the shield too far for a grab, my shield gets low, he hits me through it, etc. If I roll he can usually hit me coming out of it. What would you do here?

Thanks for the advice, thats all I can think of for now. I'm working my way through this thread as we speak, so forgive me if much of this has already been asked (I'm sure it has).

terr13

Smash Journeyman
For one, the buttons you press really don't matter that much. There are slight advantages for using Y over X for example, but what's more important is how comfortable you are with it. In order to learn to Wavedash/Shine, just start using it more in your matches. You may lose more at first, but you'll learn to use it effectively for spacing and mindgames in the end.

For Falco Dittos, there has already been some information given in this thread. An important thing is to gain laser dominance, which it seems like you automatically have. Use this to time your approaches, so you get the first hit. Then make sure you have the ability to combo him to hell and back. Always try to end the combo with a strong knockback, and then go for an easy edgeguard.

If he starts playing defensively, you should be able to put the pressure on him. If you L-cancel correctly, he shouldn't be able to shieldgrab you...unless he has crazy timing. Also, you can laser camp him, darting in and out to try and get him to make a mistake and then punish him. Other people have also said to just land the aerial behind him, so he cant grab. If he starts shieldig a lot you can also grab more, making him doubt his own defense.

If he gets you off the stage and edgeguards you with a Dair, your only real chance is to tech it. If you're pretty close to the ledge though, you can firebird at different angles, have him miss his Dair while you drop down onto the ledge. And yes, they do it at higher levels of play, but the opponents DI/tech well enough so a simple Dair edgeguard won't do enough. If he's SHFFLing aerials backward, you can always just catch him when he lands, or if u have enough space, laser him. Actually, you can do almost anything if that's the only thing he's doing at that time. You can dodge, and then hit him. Shield, and jump out with your own aerial.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Look Dreamcloud, I'm trying to help others out, and I really don't care about your opinion, once again lol. Whats your point and why are you talking? No one cares lol.

I honestly don't take the game too seriously, its just something to have fun with, and I enjoy helping other people out. So don't spam the thread or just get out lol.

Sorry guys I havn't been able to answer questions I've been busy. Anyone have a question?

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
For one, the buttons you press really don't matter that much. There are slight advantages for using Y over X for example, but what's more important is how comfortable you are with it. In order to learn to Wavedash/Shine, just start using it more in your matches. You may lose more at first, but you'll learn to use it effectively for spacing and mindgames in the end.

For Falco Dittos, there has already been some information given in this thread. An important thing is to gain laser dominance, which it seems like you automatically have. Use this to time your approaches, so you get the first hit. Then make sure you have the ability to combo him to hell and back. Always try to end the combo with a strong knockback, and then go for an easy edgeguard.

If he starts playing defensively, you should be able to put the pressure on him. If you L-cancel correctly, he shouldn't be able to shieldgrab you...unless he has crazy timing. Also, you can laser camp him, darting in and out to try and get him to make a mistake and then punish him. Other people have also said to just land the aerial behind him, so he cant grab. If he starts shieldig a lot you can also grab more, making him doubt his own defense.

If he gets you off the stage and edgeguards you with a Dair, your only real chance is to tech it. If you're pretty close to the ledge though, you can firebird at different angles, have him miss his Dair while you drop down onto the ledge. And yes, they do it at higher levels of play, but the opponents DI/tech well enough so a simple Dair edgeguard won't do enough. If he's SHFFLing aerials backward, you can always just catch him when he lands, or if u have enough space, laser him. Actually, you can do almost anything if that's the only thing he's doing at that time. You can dodge, and then hit him. Shield, and jump out with your own aerial.
Wow are we sharing similar brains? LOL I couldn't have said it better myself ^_^ (hmm...)<_< jk Some important falco tech that especially proves usefull in falco dittos are the use of the jump canceled shine. like shine to bair or uair. You'll have to see what works for you. Also if he shields like a madman just pillar. If you have trouble getting grabbed go behind him and pillar. also the up throw and down throw (providing he doesn't tech it) prove very useful in combo starters. As well as the dash. But first of all you need to be able to wavedash very well. I use to wavedash with x but i found out y to be more usefull because my fingers are closer to the buttons. It took me a while to get used to.

AxemRanger

Smash Rookie
You're right, I really do need to learn to wavedash/waveshine. I think I'll start tying it as much as possible, even if it makes me lose a lot more at first.

Any advice on his string of short hopped back arrials? How do I stop him?

technomancer

Smash Champion
Shield, and then jump out of shield with a shorthop Dair and combo from there. SH Bairs aren't that fast with any character, and Dair has uber teh priorities. Tech where you can, he shouldn't be able to string together more than 2.

For the trouble with edgeguarding, you can press L about a half second before you get spiked to tech the spike on the wall. Pressing away allows you to walljump off the wall from there, and then you can side-B back onto the stage. You can also sweetspot from above which will prevent you from getting spiked on the ledge.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
aight shiz i got 2 question

1.) i jsut started using the reverse short hop lazer to get to the ledge hog faster. is this usefull if u can do it consistently

2.) i was just playing and i figured out that the Fair is quite usefull for gettin in some extra combops n the air, but i'm not to good with it. plus i'm not sure if its a good thing to use cause if u miss it u just gave up an extra hit

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
Shiz, ignore dreamcloud, he's not important, more or less I sense jelousy.

Falco 4 Life:
It is somewhat usefull to an extent, sometimes you can retreat to the ledge using that and come off the ledge with a set up of LHDL and start something for that but you have to know when to use it. Most of the time while doing so, when you are presented with this opportunity that pertains to your question, your opponent is already off the stage. At that point, how fast you can get to the ledge is preference. I seem to pivot while running and slide backwards onto the edge at about the same speed it would be to do a running shine pivot to edge hog. If that workds for you and you feel it gets you to the edge as fast as possible then it is something you could make more consistant into your game.

It has more chances of being usefull in team matches though from what I have seen.

2 - Fair in my opinion is a good air move if you know when and how to use it. Low damages while they're in the air, you can fair approach them from underneath at and angle up towards them and hit them a few times for some pretty good damage. It's situational though, sometimes it's better to Nair or Bair for more force if they are near the edge to put them in a more unfavorable postion for them and to where you have the advantage.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Axem Ranger! Nice! Mario RPG! Great game :)

Hey, what's the highest damage that you can shine another fox/falco and wavedash into another one w/o leaving the ground? Or can they DI out at any damage? Thx!

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
dats why u follow them

thanks K.C. Cloud i'll try n figure out the best timing to use dat Fair, but i think unless otherwise i'll stayu away from dat RSHL as a ledge hog cause its kinda hard to pull off, u gotta get the timing and positon right n everything. i'll save it for another day

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
Axem Ranger! Nice! Mario RPG! Great game :)

Hey, what's the highest damage that you can shine another fox/falco and wavedash into another one w/o leaving the ground? Or can they DI out at any damage? Thx!
Depends on their DI at lower percentages honestly.

Top Bottom