• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
How does one edgeguard Ryu? Are their any particularly weak parts of his recovery?

Specifically to Ganon, is N-air an effective way to deal with aerial Focus Attacks?
The Nair works to break up the FA, but there is enough time between the two hits of Ganons Nair to release the FA and hit Ganon before the second hit lands.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Who do you guys think Ryu loses to so far and by how much? What are your characters weaknesses?

Last edited:

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Who do you guys think Ryu loses to so far and by how much? What are your characters weaknesses?

I've had the most trouble with Pikachu, Ness, Lucas, Villager, Rosalina, Mega Man, Kirby, and Sonic. I'm likely to switch to Yoshi for those match ups.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
What should Ryu's neutral game look like? Should I be playing aggressively or defensively?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What should Ryu's neutral game look like? Should I be playing aggressively or defensively?
Ideally defensively, though if the opponent is better at that measured aggression with spacing is the way to go. Basically just do whatever you think will let you get in more efficiently.

v-Eos

Smash Rookie
Ideally defensively, though if the opponent is better at that measured aggression with spacing is the way to go. Basically just do whatever you think will let you get in more efficiently.
I have to disagree. I don't think playing defensive is the best way to play Ryu because that doesn't play to his advantages. Don't get me wrong, against extremely aggressive opponents or characters who don't have projectiles to approach (Roy is a good example) it IS good to be defensive but I think when playing against characters like Sheik it is important to be aggressive and approach. Getting in close and doing lots of damage whilst weaving with FADC and throwing out hitboxes really helps with the matchup, imo.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I have to disagree. I don't think playing defensive is the best way to play Ryu because that doesn't play to his advantages. Don't get me wrong, against extremely aggressive opponents or characters who don't have projectiles to approach (Roy is a good example) it IS good to be defensive but I think when playing against characters like Sheik it is important to be aggressive and approach. Getting in close and doing lots of damage whilst weaving with FADC and throwing out hitboxes really helps with the matchup, imo.
Well he did say that if your opponent is better at defense to be aggressive. And Sheik has better defense than Ryu. So...

v-Eos

Smash Rookie
Well he did say that if your opponent is better at defense to be aggressive. And Sheik has better defense than Ryu. So...
Huh. Just misread what he said. Personal style is a key in playing Ryu, I think.

Watching the top Ryu players like 9B and Trela, you can SEE the difference which is pretty awesome.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
How does one edgeguard Ryu? Are their any particularly weak parts of his recovery?

Specifically to Ganon, is N-air an effective way to deal with aerial Focus Attacks?
Anything that comes before the (T)SRK understage is pretty easily punishable. If you manage to connect the second hit I'm sure that nair is effective

Last edited:

Kresent

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know the angle, BKB, and KBG of the second hit of up throw? The one where he brings it downwards. I know it does 15%, just curious on the other numbers. Seems like it could be useful in doubles, along with down throw

2thesky

Smash Cadet
Hey, guys. So I was wondering if any of you main Ryu, do you know any viable strategies? I really, really enjoy playing as him. As I think his combo options are pretty much limitless with all his light and heavy versions of his specials and normal attacks. I've gotten better at using his focus punch to avoid attacks in the air and promptly counterattack. But I'm still having trouble finding true uses of his hadokens and set ups for his true shoryuken. I've seen people use light utilt into true shoryuken but I'm never fast enough. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a trick switching from his normal attacks to his specials fluently? I'd appreciate the help.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Hey, guys. So I was wondering if any of you main Ryu, do you know any viable strategies? I really, really enjoy playing as him. As I think his combo options are pretty much limitless with all his light and heavy versions of his specials and normal attacks. I've gotten better at using his focus punch to avoid attacks in the air and promptly counterattack. But I'm still having trouble finding true uses of his hadokens and set ups for his true shoryuken. I've seen people use light utilt into true shoryuken but I'm never fast enough. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a trick switching from his normal attacks to his specials fluently? I'd appreciate the help.
light utilt, light dtilt, and single jab all combo into true shoryuken. One good use of Hadouken is to do the slow red Hadouken and run behind it. Most people shield, which is a free grab or shield break. If they roll through, it can set up a tilt string combo or you can time a smash attack. Or, if they jump over it, just meet them with a fair or bair.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
light utilt, light dtilt, and single jab all combo into true shoryuken. One good use of Hadouken is to do the slow red Hadouken and run behind it. Most people shield, which is a free grab or shield break. If they roll through, it can set up a tilt string combo or you can time a smash attack. Or, if they jump over it, just meet them with a fair or bair.
You can also jump up to bait an air dodge and then hit them with a Focus attack on landing. Most dairs aren't multi-hit and seem to be really laggy so there's not much to worry about.

2thesky

Smash Cadet
You can also jump up to bait an air dodge and then hit them with a Focus attack on landing. Most dairs aren't multi-hit and seem to be really laggy so there's not much to worry about.
Ok, thanks a lot. Also, is there any setups you know for spiking with dair? I've never been able to pull it off. Only on stage, and that doesn't have much use when it's not over a pit yknow?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ok, thanks a lot. Also, is there any setups you know for spiking with dair? I've never been able to pull it off. Only on stage, and that doesn't have much use when it's not over a pit yknow?
Onstage dair combos into like... everything, especially if they don't tech.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Because the matchup thread is a little slow in regards to who I actually want to discuss, I thought that it would be okay to ask some things here.

Firstly, for those Ryu mains, how do you all approach the:4ryu: vs. :4greninja: matchup? A good friend of mine (he's my training partner) has recently picked him up and I've struggled with him. Between the U-Air and B-Air multi-hits, the annoyance of Shuriken and his ridiculous speed, it has been pretty hard to keep up. I still beat him on a consistent-ish basis (which sounds weird because I'm complaining) but I really don't think he should even come close with a character he picked up 3 days ago compared to the Ryu I've played for about 2 months now. Any tips?

2thesky

Smash Cadet
Onstage dair combos into like... everything, especially if they don't tech.
No, I'm not talking about dair into combos. I'm talking about combos into dair, effectively dunking them into the dark abyss below. Like, with Captain Falcon's dair, utilt, and sideb

2thesky

Smash Cadet
Because the matchup thread is a little slow in regards to who I actually want to discuss, I thought that it would be okay to ask some things here.

Firstly, for those Ryu mains, how do you all approach the:4ryu: vs. :4greninja: matchup? A good friend of mine (he's my training partner) has recently picked him up and I've struggled with him. Between the U-Air and B-Air multi-hits, the annoyance of Shuriken and his ridiculous speed, it has been pretty hard to keep up. I still beat him on a consistent-ish basis (which sounds weird because I'm complaining) but I really don't think he should even come close with a character he picked up 3 days ago compared to the Ryu I've played for about 2 months now. Any tips?
I think it's just Greninja's ability to get past people's defenses very easily with his speed. Ryu specializes in creating a lot of fakeouts, as a lot of his moves can be cancelled. I find it hard to explain, but just watch some videos of good Ryu players. Their set-ups all rely on fakeouts. So, in turn, make the Greninja think you have a faulty defense, and when he comes in to attack, do a quick punish. If you're able to connect your punishes into combos, do so. The more damage the better, as I always say. Though, those multi hit attacks always do pose a problem for focus attack. I'll have to test out some stuff, as I don't really have many ryu vs greninja matches at all.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Light up tilt.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
That works?? I would never have thought, as I thought the hitstun from light utilt wasn't long enough to grant time to jump and do a dair. I'll have to try that out.
You can get out of the utilt with good smash DI, percentage dependent. It is just hard to do consistently. There was a gif going around recently of a japanese Ike player using smash DI to get out of all of 9Bs tilt setups. He couldn't even land utilt to shoryuken on him because of the smash DI.

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
What is the strongest punish after a focus attack crumple at non-kill percents?
Well what I do is a little hop, then a down A in the air, then a Shoryuken.

My question to the community is if anyone else has problems with RYu when there is a slightest bit of lag and delay. It reminds me of what Ryu says in one of his win quotes from Street Fighter, "Your last attack was off by a second. And a second is a lifetime in battle." -Ryu

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
What is the strongest punish after a focus attack crumple at non-kill percents?
Easy strong punish if you hit a level 3 FA is to dash cancel, FA 2, dair, true shoryuken.

If you only land FA 2 and not 3, then dair to shoryuken is the easiest.

The strongest punish technically would probably be to land a sour spot fair and then follow that up with a crazy nair/footstool combo.

Well what I do is a little hop, then a down A in the air, then a Shoryuken.

My question to the community is if anyone else has problems with RYu when there is a slightest bit of lag and delay. It reminds me of what Ryu says in one of his win quotes from Street Fighter, "Your last attack was off by a second. And a second is a lifetime in battle." -Ryu
Yes, the input lag from playing online is most noticeable when playing Ryu in my opinion. Everything just feels off.

Last edited:

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
How do you platform drop and do a falling Fair or Bair? I always get Tatsu or Hadouken

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Does anyone know precisely how Ryu's moves modify hitstun, if at all? Surely down tilt, a one percent move, should have 0 frames of hitstun.
Perhaps hitstun is round to +inf, but I don't think this accounts for all the hitstun I have encountered.
If no one has studied this, I might get myself a 60 fps recorder and do some analyzing.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Does anyone know precisely how Ryu's moves modify hitstun, if at all? Surely down tilt, a one percent move, should have 0 frames of hitstun.
Perhaps hitstun is round to +inf, but I don't think this accounts for all the hitstun I have encountered.
If no one has studied this, I might get myself a 60 fps recorder and do some analyzing.
I have always heard that Ryus moves have 1.5x hitstun.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
I have always heard that Ryus moves have 1.5x hitstun.
1.5*(% damage) or 1.5*(.4)(% damage)?
1.5 multiplied by damage makes sense, but I'll have to verify
this means that light dtilt gives floor(1.5 * 1.6) = 2 frames, enough to combo into a second buffered l.dtlit
If you are hit into the air by a move - such as l.uptilt by example, you do experience soft landing lag, correct?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Does anyone have the shieldstun numbers for the red fireball and true hadouken?

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Does anyone have the shieldstun numbers for the red fireball and true hadouken?
I'm not sure on the precise numbers, but you cannot drop shield durring the animation of a metsu if you are hit by one

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I'm not sure on the precise numbers, but you cannot drop shield durring the animation of a metsu if you are hit by one
I was wondering how much shieldstun would be applied after the hit. I am trying to figure out if Confusion-ShadowBall is a true combo on Ryu if his projectile's are reflected.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
I was wondering how much shieldstun would be applied after the hit. I am trying to figure out if Confusion-ShadowBall is a true combo on Ryu if his projectile's are reflected.
Actually, I was wrong... Seems you can drop shield in the middle of being hit by a metsu.
I'm doubtful that you have enough shieldstun to pull that combo off... And even if you can, I doubt very many good ryu's will give you the opportunity

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
One thing I dislike with Ryu is when I land a focus lvl 2/3 and when I dash forward I go through them thus screwing up my planned followup, any way to prevent this?

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
One thing I dislike with Ryu is when I land a focus lvl 2/3 and when I dash forward I go through them thus screwing up my planned followup, any way to prevent this?
Double tap and then release. Also, if your planned follow up is a t.srk, you don't need to dash forward. Just input the t.SRK and it will cancel into a true combo.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
IDK if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know what the opening music in the Ryu reveal trailer is called?

I have never played SF, but I thought that one song was really cool. Apparently I'm the only one on the internet who don't know what it's called.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Except your character is based on counter play and knowing what your opponent will do and Greninja has strats he can fall back on like spacing shurikens, a luxury Ryu does not have and he has easy answers to basic Ryu stuff.

So yeah its not that simple.

I feel the match is even because both chars can adjust to one another. Greninja has an overwhelming advantage state where he can just flow from one situation to the next. And his hit stun cancelled side b can get him out of ryus longer combos. FA can keep him honest if he tries to space with fairs or approach with nair. Bad nairs are shield grab bait or you can up b out of shield at higher percents for a kill. If he misses a grab then thats free damage. His grab is essentially a tether grab in terms of recovery. If you are air to air then his buttons generally will win, so try not to challenge him like that if you are both in a neutral situation. Basically if you see a SH you SHOULD NOT meet him in the air. Be ready to block, roll, or FA to absorb a fair or bair and retaliate. Random tatsu is strong in footsies when you see a pattern in your opponents movement. Remember Ryus leg is invincible so timed well it will beat any attack in the game or clash with other attacks that are invincible.

I tend to throw out SH hadoukens so Greninja cant just SH all day. He can crawl however when he crouches so he does still have a mobility option. Remember grounded shurikens can be shed over or you can fadc in the air towards him to close space. He can sh shuriken to prevent this however. Greninjas weight, fall speed and ability to hitstun cancel with side b makes it hard to do utilt chains. Do a few hits then finish the combo.

Also after getting dtilted, dash attacked or d-thrown, its basically a mix-up. You can jump or aridodge. Essentially a 50/50. Try to feel out the greninja and see if he will commit or wait for an airdodge/jump. It's not a guaranteed follow up so if you get hit then its on you.

Top Bottom