• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

Benbax86

Smash Rookie
One thing that I don't like about ryu is his tatsu if blocked never hits again. I find that dumb. But in his games if you blocked tatsu you had to crouch to avoid it. I dunno Tatsu just seems Weird?

Tatsu should be vulnerable to fireballs to a certain extent, and should either do more on block or be a little safer towards the end of the move itself.
Agreed. Nothing worse than spinning around 16 times next to the ledge while your opponent charges a smash attack. Just gotta remember not to use towards ledge, I guess.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Has anyone else realized that you can consistently perform short shoryuken by pressing z instead of a? This works because the macro only puts in an a input for a few frames, I guess.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Didnt know that. Experimented with it and it seems you can do that with all specials. So easy mode slow hadoukens and short tatsu is now a thing.

Ryu's evolution is just never ending.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Has anyone else realized that you can consistently perform short shoryuken by pressing z instead of a? This works because the macro only puts in an a input for a few frames, I guess.
In fact, you can use this to perform ANY slow version of the command input moves. Super useful, much more consistent than actually trying to press a briefly.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Yeeeeeeeeaah! I discovered a Ryu tech! I feel so proud.
Remember me when you're #1 emblem lord

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
On a much more useless note, if you set c stick to tilts and press a right when you initiate a move with the c stick, you get the stronger version of the move. It's pretty useless but the information itself is elucidates the precise mechanics behind the strong/weak tilts.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Yeeeeeeeeaah! I discovered a Ryu tech! I feel so proud.
Remember me when you're #1 emblem lord
Actually that was already known. Also, a more useless version of this is, if, with AB smash on, you press a+b after an input, it will always be the held version, no matter how short a time you press those buttons. Also, with side taunt, because of the friction of the Dpad, pressing it makes medium specials easier to do.

Last edited:

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I know this should probably go in the MU thread, but I figured I could ask here too. What do you guys normally do against Meta Knight? As of right now I'm under the impression it's a bad MU for Ryu but I may just be playing the MU incorrectly.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Can true shoryuken OOS be done? Seems like the forward input would make you roll.
Well. Kind of. It is possible to do the input while in your shield. To do that, you have to realize that you don't need to do inputs at the edge of the control pad. Do the input while only shifting your shield and you won't roll. The problem arises in the fact that TSRK, so far as my testing has shown, cannot be jump cancelled. Normal up b, however, can. I don't know why this is.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Well. Kind of. It is possible to do the input while in your shield. To do that, you have to realize that you don't need to do inputs at the edge of the control pad. Do the input while only shifting your shield and you won't roll. The problem arises in the fact that TSRK, so far as my testing has shown, cannot be jump cancelled. Normal up b, however, can. I don't know why this is.
So with soft presses, like tilting your shield?

Honestly it would be the best OOS option in any smash game, so maybe it's best that is not available lol

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
So with soft presses, like tilting your shield?

Honestly it would be the best OOS option in any smash game, so maybe it's best that is not available lol
yeah tilting your shield. And...I mean... you could drop shield and do it but that wastes 7 frames. I just wonder why up b can be jump cancelled but not input shoryuken.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
yeah tilting your shield. And...I mean... you could drop shield and do it but that wastes 7 frames. I just wonder why up b can be jump cancelled but not input shoryuken.
Probably because that would be horribly overpowered and doing it should be crazy hard

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Probably because that would be horribly overpowered and doing it should be crazy hard
Well... On tall opponents, jump TSRK can still hit. So... There is damage,KB, and invincibility there. Just the damage and KB are lessened greatly.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
On a much more useless note, if you set c stick to tilts and press a right when you initiate a move with the c stick, you get the stronger version of the move. It's pretty useless but the information itself is elucidates the precise mechanics behind the strong/weak tilts.
welp. thats the easiest way ive found to do consistent shield rbeakers now. Does anyone else have any tips on how to get them consistently without doing this?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
welp. thats the easiest way ive found to do consistent shield rbeakers now. Does anyone else have any tips on how to get them consistently without doing this?
Well um... Pressing forward and holding A?

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Hey guys, I've been trying to work on Ryu's foxtro cancel, but it's super hard to perform, for some reason. Is foxtrotting fundamentally useful for Ryu? I feel that it wouldn't. If Ryu is ever dashing, he shouldn't go into a run, unless he's super far from the opponent. What do you all think?

SonofCereal

Smash Rookie
1. What moves does Ryu have that slide when you perfect pivot.

And​

2. Do the weak versions of Utilt and Dtilt true combo into the stronger versions? Doesn't register as combo in training mode, but whenever I'm in matches, people don't seem to be able to escape it.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd

And​

2. Do the weak versions of Utilt and Dtilt true combo into the stronger versions? Doesn't register as combo in training mode, but whenever I'm in matches, people don't seem to be able to escape it.
Dtilt for sure. Utilt is escapable by some characters such as Yoshi.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate

And​

For #1, almost all of his tilts. Unless a move cancels momentum, it will slide. Hence the point of a perfect pivot, a slide that can be cancelled into a move.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Completely disjointed from his knee to his foot. Can beat virtually any limb head on including Diddy's fair and Sheiks fair. Will lose to swords obviously. Completely safe on block and hard to punish on whiff.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Okay, how exactly should I play Ryu and what are the many ways to use Shakunetsu Hadoken? I play Smash 3DS.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you escape Ryu's Nair Nair Dair infinite? Twice I was hit and Nair'd off the stage before being killed by Dair spike. There was no way I could escape it.

Last edited:

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
How do you escape Ryu's Nair Nair Dair infinite? Twice I was hit and Nair'd off the stage before being killed by Dair spike. There was no way I could escape it.

Being Ike certainly didn't help in that case. DI and air dodge is really all you can do to avoid successive Nairs other than hoping the Ryu player misses a hit, or gets the sweet spot Nair rather than sour spot. Character choice is probably the biggest factor though. A character with a low frame aerial could potentially trade with the Nair, but Ike doesn't have that option.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Does the stun-time wary between characters when they get Focus Punched?
If yes - is there a chart?

How many frames does it take for the game to read your jab and tilts as strong versions when holding the button?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does the stun-time wary between characters when they get Focus Punched?
If yes - is there a chart?

How many frames does it take for the game to read your jab and tilts as strong versions when holding the button?
No, all characters get the same amount of stun time. The only thing that affects it is how much you charge Focus Attack.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Can't seem to get the Uptilt strings into true shoryuken on the 3ds =/
Is it better to just input the special button command with the circle pad or should this only be attempted on the Wii u version?

Top Bottom