• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
What would you say are good kill set-ups Vs D3?
When he finally reaches kill-%, a lot of set-ups send him too high/far away to true combo into kill-moves. (except D1)

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
What should I do against character who's crouches(think kirby) completely invalidate my fireballs, upsmashes(i don't know why it does), focus attacks, and anything mid range?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What should I do against character who's crouches(think kirby) completely invalidate my fireballs, upsmashes(i don't know why it does), focus attacks, and anything mid range?
The short answer is, don't spam those moves.

Long answer would be, go for Tdtilt as a combo starter and only use focus attack when it's a guaranteed hit or to absorb damage. To secure a kill, combo a true SRK from a dtilt combo.

.Alpha.

Smash Rookie
NNID
xxvAlphavxx
So, been referencing this site since early brawl but never needed an account due to the fact all subjects are generally well discussed in character threads. Yet, haven't seen much talk at all about negative edge since I've started main-ing Ryu and would like some outside input on it for lab testing. Anyways my question is, what do you all believe are some of the most optimal combos and scenarios in neutral to apply negative edge? So far the only easy and reliable one that noticeably comes out faster than traditional inputs is x amount of light DT(1 to 3 being weight and % dependent) to Tatsu.

FirstaLasto

Smash Cadet
Something I've been wondering since Ryu was released is what the frame windows are for performing medium specials. As in, what is the minimum and maximum number of frames you can hold the special button to perfom medium specials? Light and heavy specials are easy to do, but I have trouble doing mediums consistently.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Something I've been wondering since Ryu was released is what the frame windows are for performing medium specials. As in, what is the minimum and maximum number of frames you can hold the special button to perfom medium specials? Light and heavy specials are easy to do, but I have trouble doing mediums consistently.
Just guessing 1-2 frames gives you a light version, 3-4 medium and 5+ heavy. I have no evidence to back this up.

Last edited:

Xyless

Smash Master
There is no "medium" version of moves. There's light versions (tap the button) and heavy versions (hold the button) and then special input versions of the specials.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
There is no "medium" version of moves. There's light versions (tap the button) and heavy versions (hold the button) and then special input versions of the specials.
Actually, yes there a medium versions for the hadoukens (input and not) and DP (input and not). It was shown in the opening trailer.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
They are super hard to do consistently.
I've found a way.. It's hard to describe.

When I do light specials, I quickly and lightly tap A. When I do heavy I slam on the A button and hold it until the move is over usually. I hit it pretty hard. When heavy shoryuken connects it feels pretty great when I slam the controller.

Mediums are, for me, a lot alike the two. I slam A but I just don't hold it. Because I'm putting the extra effort into hitting the button I apparently hold it for just a little bit longer.

I'd say this is only really useful for using med shoryuken to get on battlefield's platforms. It requires premeditated thought, though, so I'm not doing it consistently in match, still getting it down to muscle memory.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
there is
and for whatever reason i've found it to be more difficult than medium hadouken/shoryuken.. timing just feels different
I didn't know that but I just tested it and there is a medium one.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
In a Ryu ditto today, I did the true Shoryuken as the opponent did a level 3 Focus attack, the game seemed to freeze for half a second, before deciding I would be stunned in place as per normal. While I was frozen the large blue spark was there so I know I did it along with the much louder "SHORYUKEN!" yell.

Any explanations on what could have happened there?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to what the optimal follow-up to a successful Focus Attack crumple is.

I've been using short hop dair to strong Shoryuken. If you catch them at the ledge, weak nair to run-off dair meteor smash also works up until around 70-90% depending on the character.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
So I heard Ryu had a hitlag multiplier.
Does anyone know what is?
Are you asking for the number or what hitlag is? His moves I believe on average have a 2.0 hitlag modifier. Hitlag is the effect when strong moves connect with a body and both attacker and victim are frozen in place. Hitlag is usually determined by damage, damage type and of course the hitlag modifier just increases this.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Are you asking for the number or what hitlag is? His moves I believe on average have a 2.0 hitlag modifier. Hitlag is the effect when strong moves connect with a body and both attacker and victim are frozen in place. Hitlag is usually determined by damage, damage type and of course the hitlag modifier just increases this.
Thanks, just wanted the number. Thought the modifier was the same for all of his moves. Also heard it was like 1.89 or something like that. Trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to frame cancel his aerials.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Is there a video that explains all of Ryu's... special special moves and how to do them? I'd like to see a thumb moving over a gamecube controller, not just some instructions if possible.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Is there a video that explains all of Ryu's... special special moves and how to do them? I'd like to see a thumb moving over a gamecube controller, not just some instructions if possible.
Unlikely, so this is all I could manage.

Quarter circles are one motion, you don't hit each point individually. It's a fast loop motion, half-circle comes naturally after that. Shoryuken motion confuses a lot of people, it's basically press forward then do a quarter circle, and then as you get better it becomes more like quickly rubbing along the edge.

Thouvexed

Smash Rookie
NNID
VexCain
Do all of Ryu's separate moves with inputs (say, Hadoken, Shakunetsu, Utilt, TSRK and normal, etc) all stale as one move, or do they get effected by stale move negation separately?

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Don't you hate it when You got momentum as ryu then u suddenly lose it !!!!!! then u just dont have momentum no more until u get a string off

PairODucks

Smash Rookie
How to you compute the total number of hitlag frames of a move, given the hitlag multiplier and move damage (assuming "normal" moves)? Do you get different hitlag depending on if you hit shield or body? When you hit shield with a move, then only the normal shield stun frames are added to the opponent, and the amount of hitstun that would have occurred on a body hit doesn't matter, correct?

I'm basically trying to figure out the frame disadvantage of using collarbone breaker on a shield that won't be broken.

PairODucks

Smash Rookie
Thanks! (Yea that's terrible.) How did you calculate that? I would like to be able to compute frame disadvantage for other moves as well.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Thanks! (Yea that's terrible.) How did you calculate that? I would like to be able to compute frame disadvantage for other moves as well.
Hitlag = (((d/2.6)+5)*h)
Shieldstun = (d/2.56)

d = Attack Damage
h = Hitlag Modifier

Shield Advantage = ((d+s)-a-(t-h)) (+7 for shield drop)

d = Defender Hitlag
s = Shieldstun
a = Attacker Hitlag
t = Total Frames
h = Hit Frame

In 1.1.0, there was a change to hitlag on shield. Previously, the defender took hitlag as if the modifier was 1, and the attacker took regular hitlag. Now, if the hitlag modifer is greater than 1, the attacker's hitlag modifier is divided by 1.25, to a minimum of 1. This makes everything with a hitlag modifier greater than 1 a few frames safer on shield.

Example 1: Ryu's strong ftilt. It hits twice, but we only care about the advantage for the second hit. It hits on F15, does 6 damage, is 34 frames total, and has a hitlag modifier of 1.8.

Attacker's Hitlag = (((6/2.6)+5)*1.8/1.25) = 10
Defender's Hitlag = (((6/2.6)+5)*1) = 7
Shieldstun = (6/2.56) = 2

Shield Advantage = ((7+2)-10-(34-15)) = -20 (for shield drop, add 7 frames, so -13)

Example 2: Ryu's strong jab. It hits on F9, does 10 damage, is 32 frames total, and has a hitlag modifier of 1.8.

Attacker's Hitlag = (((10/2.6)+5)*1.8/1.25) = 12
Defender's Hitlag = (((10/2.6)+5)*1) = 8
Shieldstun = (10/2.56) = 3

Shield Advantage = ((8+3)-12-(32-9)) = -24 (for shield drop, add 7 frames, so -17)

Edit: Fixed advantage for second example.

Last edited:

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I know this is not a match-up thread, but I would like some advice on to fight Greninja.

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
I started trying to use ryu today and I've learned the special inputs and I can do some combos like 3 dtilt1s>dtilt2>red fireball, infinite utilt1s, and dtilt1, utilt1, and jab1 into true shoryuken (but I can't using them in a real game). I know nothing about neutral game or any other combos. What other things about ryu do I need to know to be good with him?

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
I started trying to use ryu today and I've learned the special inputs and I can do some combos like 3 dtilt1s>dtilt2>red fireball, infinite utilt1s, and dtilt1, utilt1, and jab1 into true shoryuken (but I can't using them in a real game). I know nothing about neutral game or any other combos. What other things about ryu do I need to know to be good with him?
Definitely get comfortable with his nair. Nair to jab combo is reliable, safe damage that catches people off guard. There are tons of ways to use nair to lead into a true shoryuken.

Be wary of throwing out Tatsu willy nilly. Against less experienced players it can be safe, but if playing someone skilled or someone who knows the Ryu MU, this will lead to big trouble. It has very limited uses, but those use cases are valuable. I rarely use it on stage except for catching a roll, possibly a landing, as someone is falling off a platform, and at the edge if someone is recovering. Always use your Tatsu BEFORE your jump when recovering to the stage. But, be carfeul of spikers, as Ryu is unprotected on the top and bottom during the attack and the ending lag is too much to get off a Focus Attack to negate a spike even if you know its coming.

Master the Focus Attack and Focus Attack Dash Cancelling. It is a powerful mind game tool, offensive weapon, and defensive option all in one. It is what really sets Ryu apart, and I think most of what will make you a dangerous Ryu player will come from good FA use. Its really something you've just got to experiment with and practice. The biggest thing is knowing which attacks are multihits. I don't know if this is cataloged online somewhere, perhaps we should start building a list. With that said, the move is pretty janky sometimes and I've had multi hits not break it up. There are a lot of moves that are multihit that you might not expect such as Ikes neutral B. Due to the FA, Ryu can survive up to and past 200%, even in tournament play. ALWAYS dash cancel out of a Focus Attack hit that lands. Throws are the best counter to a Focus Attack so be wary of that.

Ryus F smash is super good, dont be afraid to throw it out. Same with his up smash. Its safer than shoryuken if you miss and after a certain % there is no reason to go for the shoryuken over the up smash. On light characters, up smash is brutal. I've killed Jigglypuff around 60% with little charge. His strong neutral A has way more range than it looks and is a great grounded and anti air option. His D smash is a good, safe option is someone is pressuring you as it is very quick and has good range. It just doesn't give you as many follow up options. But its good for regaining control of the match flow. One of my favorite moves that catches people off guard is a short hop to focus attack, dash cancel towards the opponent and fastfall just out of their range and use a D smash.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Two good places to look would be these two threads

http://smashboards.com/threads/ryus-fundamentals-discussion-thread.406514/
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-sakiyo-dojo-ryu-metagame-discussion.406104/

Especially take a gander at Emblem Lord Emblem Lord 's post the fundamentals discussion thread on page 2

When I speak I will be using super old school SF terminology. Let's see if you can keep up.

This post is 100% focused on neutral game, trap game and BnB's.

Let's train harder.

My main pokes during neutral are low roundhouse, Donkey Kick, EX Slow Shakunetsu Hadouken, EX Slow Hadouken, short neutral jump roundhouse, stand forward and stand roundhouse.

Low roundhouse is pretty safe and has great range. Also great damage at 16. Donkey Kick does 17 with the tip of Ryu's foot and can kill, but it also covers a nice angle. Use sparingly but it can stuff aerial approaches if you are on point. Stand roundhouse is a great anti air and stuffs alot of approaches too. Easier to use on reaction as well. Neutral jump roundhouse just has a nice hitbox with not much cooldown on landing. Hadoukens are not zoning tools. They are longer range pokes you use to pressure shields and bait reactions. I tend to use them alot when my opponent is a little beyond Ryu's opening dash animation. Stand forward is simple basic poke with ok range. Pops opponent up at a nice angle though for easy follow-ups and traps.

For combos I keep it simple and effective. low short x2 xx EX Fierce Shoryuken/Fierce Shoryuken. Other basic combos are.

Close stand jab x2 SRK/Tatsu
Low forward xx Tatsu/Hadouken/Shakunetsu
Low short x2 - Tatsu
Close stand jab x2 xx low fierce/stand roundhouse

His jab combo is nice too since his jab is 3 frames.

For block pressure you can do rapid fire lights. Either close jab or low short. They cant grab you as long as you mash quickly. If you are close enough and they try to roll you might even catch their vulnerability frames then you can hit confirm into a combo. For block mix-ups off a light you can tatsu away or mix-in forward strong for a possible shield break though the latter takes alot of conditioning on your part and fear on your opponents. An easy to to set-up for block pressure or a hit confirm opportunity is to empty short hop in then fast fall. Then you can mix up between dash grab, light pressure or poking with low roundhouse or w/e. Walking in is also viable. Just be ready to block or roll on reaction to something your opponent may try. Cross up rolls work too. Roll behind then mash on a light if they are still blocking after you roll. This also works well in landing traps right when your opponent is about to touch the ground. Another good tool is neutral jump short. Decent hitbox and very little recovery on landing. Has the same applications as say Sheiks nair. Use it to cover yourself and deter dash grab ins. Can also be used to disrespect your opponent during attempted follow-ups and get you out of strings. Great for eating projectiles too.

For traps most of Ryus stuff will be based around hadoukens. See how your opponent reacts. If they like to roll be ready to punish with low roundhouse or an SRK depening on spacing. low short hit confirm into anything works as well. Its all spacing dependent. For air traps I rely on throws to get them there then jump hadoukens. Watch how they land and try to bait something then punish with jump roundhouse or neutral jump roundhouse. You can attempt to challenge with a neutral jump roundhouse as well. Amazing hitbox. Ledge trap game is solid. Lots of forward throws and hadouken traps to reset positioning advantage. Tatsus are also good for air traps. They will reset the situation on hit. Nice for chars with burst movement that can get them out of standard trap scenarios. Say vs ZSS if you threw a hadouken while she was in the air and she flip jumped behind you. Ryu could EX tatsu to catch her escape attempt and reset the situation. Or dash SRK if you just wanna end her. Dash EX SRK is very nice as well in landing traps. Some players will try to disrespect your momentum and EX SRK will blow them away due to having lots of invincibility. Played a Bowser two days ago and I d-throw him. I empty jumped to bait something and he did a down b. I EX SRKed him for a kill at 105%.

That's all for now. More later for sure.

If anyone has any questions ask away.
Even though it was made back in June most of it should till hold up today and give good insight on Ryu's neutral game.

Another good post of his is in the MU thread where is talking about the Sheik MU but his talk about Ryu's optimal space should apply to most MUs and basically where you want to be with him in neutral.

Footsies/Boxing Range

This is where you wanna be. Generally this range is between Ryus max d-smash range and his max dash grab range. Here Ryu has good poke options, whiff punishes and dash grab to threaten with. Success here depends on Ryus reactions. Ryus buttons > Sheiks buttons in terms of raw damage and priority. They are about equally fast. She can punish d-smash and u-smash on block so you can't poke with them much. Hard Jab is fairly safe as is max spaced hard utilt cancelled into FADC backdash or light tatsu away. If she SH's Ryu can hard utilt to blow through fair or hard jab. Another option is if you see her sh you can quickly dash and roll behind her. This is just to be tricky but can throw off her rhythm. Empty SH into dash grab is strong for both chars. Be on your guard for that. If you see her jump OUTSIDE of your hard jab range, then it is most likely an empty sh.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
What high level ryu mains should I watch to learn from?
Mr. R is the best Ryu player currently out there and he also uses Ryu in competitive SF. But, even he hasn't fully committed to Ryu, he still plays Sheik most of the time.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Oh I forgot about 9B.

Can't forget about him.

He's really really good too, and he just got 5th at Umebura FAT which was stacked like crazy.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I know you guys have probably been asked this a thousand times, but... How do you do the true shoryuken shortcut? I know it is:GCDR::GCDR: But I can never seem to be able to do it consistently, is there some trick or method to it? It is the last one I am having trouble with...

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I know you guys have probably been asked this a thousand times, but... How do you do the true shoryuken shortcut? I know it is:GCDR::GCDR: But I can never seem to be able to do it consistently, is there some trick or method to it? It is the last one I am having trouble with...
There are multiple ways to do the short cut. There's the way you've shown. But you can also do, in num pad form, 636A, 363A, and 323A. I find 636 to be the easiest for me.

Last edited:

Okimin

Smash Rookie
Can you link jab to True srk fast enough that the opponent cant guard? everytime i try it, it either go to the next combo or my opponent can guard before the srk activate

Top Bottom