• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who invented melee characters?

Kully

Smash Cadet
This post is supposed to be somewhat satirical, but I want answers!

Ken invented Marth
Isai invented C. Falcon
Captain Jack invented Sheik and Donkey Kong
Who invented the others?

Kully

Smash Cadet
To be specific, I am looking for the innovator, not the perfecter. We can all agree that Mango polished Fox, Falco and Falcon into a work of art, but I am looking rather for the first person who made a huge stride in the way a character was played.

I know that Marths in 2001 would roll and fsmash a lot; that was the metagame until Ken introduced DashDancing and lots of aerieals.

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
Lol, it´s funny how the most obvious person/char is not mentioned. Yeah, I´m talking about Armada.

Insom

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I haven't been on the scene long enough to know who invented anyone. Although I know wobbles invented wobbling.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Depends on a lotta factors, there's a lotta players that added a lot to each character. Like example, there were jigglypuffs before King but a lot of the **** we see today was applied in a useful way by him first. Before him...I don't even really remember...there was Anden back in the day but I think he played more falco.

If you wanna get technical you should really be looking at who discovered and pioneered the best AT's and their application to the characters game. I'm sure I'll get berated but idgaf, I'm tired.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
HugS invented Samus.
Bob$ invented Doc.
Axe invented Pikachu.

Those are the only ones I can assume to be true, outside of what's already been mentioned. And Armada definitely invented Peach. He does things with her that we hadn't quite seen from any Peach before him.

Feel free to prove me wrong, of course. I don't have extensive knowledge when it comes to Melee history.

Strabisamus

Smash Rookie
Bombsoldier is hands down falco's founding father. Look at his videos; the kid was way ahead of his time

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Marth - Ken (dash dancing)
Ganon - Eddie (shffl'd aerials)
Samus - Wes / HugS (I think Wes started using the basics first and HugS was the first to really focus on poking with tilts and using up-B oos)
Falco - DA Dave / Bombsoldier (DA Dave came up with the basic laser / aerial rushdown concept and Bombsoldier started the modern comboing game)
Fox - Chillin (up-throw uair)
Peach - Mike G (maybe, there was also Vidjo and KrazyJones but idk who came first and who started doing what first).
ICs - Chu
Luigi - Ka-master (I think Vist is more old school but idk what he came up with)

I'm not old school enough. Maybe an old fart can come in and give some real answers.

Mr. Happy :)

Smash Cadet
Marth - Ken (dash dancing)
Ganon - Eddie (shffl'd aerials)
Samus - Wes / HugS (I think Wes started using the basics first and HugS was the first to really focus on poking with tilts and using up-B oos)
Falco - DA Dave / Bombsoldier (DA Dave came up with the basic laser / aerial rushdown concept and Bombsoldier started the modern comboing game)
Fox - Chillin (up-throw uair)
Peach - Mike G (maybe, there was also Vidjo and KrazyJones but idk who came first and who started doing what first).
ICs - Chu
Luigi - Ka-master (I think Vist is more old school but idk what he came up with)

I'm not old school enough. Maybe an old fart can come in and give some real answers.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers DA Dave. Dair Shine Dair Shine Dair Shine F Smash :)

Pi

Smash Hero
itt: opinions

to make things easier, try not to limit it to ONE person

i never even heard of armada until he came to the US

Armada

Smash Lord
Because Americans (overall) thought Europe had nothing to offer before Genesis 1 which was for sure not true.
When it comes to Peach I honestly think FC is basically the only thing I did not invented of all the relevant stuff.

Dash attacks/Uairs/my edgeguard was getting so much hate cause it "would not work against US players" =D

Pi

Smash Hero
Because Americans (overall) thought Europe had nothing to offer before Genesis 1 which was for sure not true.
When it comes to Peach I honestly think FC is basically the only thing I did not invented of all the relevant stuff.

Dash attacks/Uairs/my edgeguard was getting so much hate cause it "would not work against US players" =D

In terms of inventing Peach though, do you think you had a major influence over US players?

Certainly now if someone wants to learn how to play peach I would direct them to your videos, but that's only after your performance in the US. Prior to that the names that come to mind are pink shinobi and wife, not terribly good players, but 'top peaches' by us standards (using that phrase lightly)

I'd also like to quote for emphasis this part of your post; "When it comes to Peach I honestly think FC is basically the only thing I did not invented of all the relevant stuff."

It's fine to watch video's of top players and steal tips and tricks from them, but you need to understand the fundamentals of the game, and WHY certain tricks WORK. Once you understand that you can start piecing together your own tricks.

Nimbus

Smash Rookie
Is it safe to say that Neo invented Roy with some Kenny Hoang assistance? No other Roy players from back in the day immediately come to mind...

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Bish please you've pretty much been with the smash community since early Nsider with me, zack, ultraluigi, meleeguy and others. Dont give me none of that old fart stuff :smirk: . Also I forgot about KrazyJones lmao, them chaingrabs man.

Armada

Smash Lord
In terms of inventing Peach though, do you think you had a major influence over US players?

Certainly now if someone wants to learn how to play peach I would direct them to your videos, but that's only after your performance in the US. Prior to that the names that come to mind are pink shinobi and wife, not terribly good players, but 'top peaches' by us standards (using that phrase lightly)

I'd also like to quote for emphasis this part of your post; "When it comes to Peach I honestly think FC is basically the only thing I did not invented of all the relevant stuff."

It's fine to watch video's of top players and steal tips and tricks from them, but you need to understand the fundamentals of the game, and WHY certain tricks WORK. Once you understand that you can start piecing together your own tricks.
Europeans did not influence Americans (overall) since back then we did not get accepted as good players so then it is kinda impossible.
Pink Shinobi was pretty good at Genesis1 and Wife had a great run too for sure.

Yeah watching other peoples videos and "steal" their tricks is more then okay. If people didn't this game overall would be way less developed. I totally agree with you about understanding why/how things works. That's a problem (I think) many new players has. They look at videos and is trying to copy the tricks but don't really have the knowledge to apply those things at the right place.

D

Deleted member

i really hate these threads mike.

fox - no one probably
falco - sultanofsamitude, IK_GOST
sheik - recipherus, captain jack, azen zagenite
marth - sephirothken, azen zagenite
peach - heinababee, vidjogamer
ic climbers - spanish d00d
falcon - malva00
jigglypuff - TheKing

other characters basically don't matter enough to mention anything else

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Luigi- Ka-master
Ganon- RockCrock/Kage
Doc- Shroomed
Pikachu- Axe
IC's- Chu Dat
Peach- Armada
Falco- DA Dave
Mario- Scorpion Master
Shiek- Captain Jack
Bowser- Gimpyfish
Yoshi- V3ctorman
Mewtwo- Taj

Nintendude

Smash Hero
i really hate these threads mike.

fox - no one probably
falco - sultanofsamitude, IK_GOST
sheik - recipherus, captain jack, azen zagenite
marth - sephirothken, azen zagenite
peach - heinababee, vidjogamer
ic climbers - spanish d00d
falcon - malva00
jigglypuff - TheKing

other characters basically don't matter enough to mention anything else
Yeah I really hate these too, almost more than the idiotic responses people are giving lol. Thanks tho.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Peach- Sastopher, Wife, Mike G (Mike G was the first person to implement wavedashing)
Fox- Chillindude, M2K, KDJ, CunningKitsune
Falco- DADav3, Mathos, Bomb Soldier, PC Chris
Marth- Azen, Ken
Puff- The King, MaNg0
Falcon- Isai, Darkrain, Silent Spectre
ICs- Chu Dat, Trail
Ganondorf- Eddie (Eddie is credited with inventing SHFFL, among other things)
Doc- Captain Jack, Bob$, Shroomed
Samus- DAWes, HugS

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yes.

Wobbles invented Ic's
Mango invented spacies
Mango did not invent spacies. However he most definitely "invented" puff.

This thread pops up quite a bit...I thought this time it was going to ask who designed the individual characters. Which I thought was weird and assumed would be a joke. Would have been better though.

D

Deleted member

(Mike G was the first person to implement wavedashing)

i mean, no? the japanese were using WD before the game even came to the US and we took it from them without much difficulty.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
forward was doing similar/same things as DA Dav3 back in 2001/2002 under his first name Smashfighter.

falco- IK_GOST aka DA Dav3, forward, and apparently sultan
doc- caveman
ganondorf- UND1SPUT3D

idk this feels pointless since mow listed most of them =/

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Armada probably had a lot of influence in Young Link's game.

D1

Banned via Administration
I dunno about inventing Puff. There was KillaOR, and King before Mang0.

Pi

Smash Hero
let's just change the thread title to;

'list the oldest character mains you can think of, if you can't think of one, list the best one atm'

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
let's just change the thread title to;

'list the oldest character mains you can think of, if you can't think of one, list the best one atm'

i mean...yeah thats the idea. but because the thread itself is rather vague, we dont know if the guy wants people who made the modern metagame what it is, or the person who discovered a lot of characters tricks and made them a character to be feared and so on. some are obvious and i think the characters that are obvious are the ones outside of the top where they have lower depth to begin with.

except for peach i guess, armada's just too good and when he stormed the US in 2009 it felt like we didn't know **** about what that character can do lmao.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
The creator of Yoshi was Fumi, not Vman.
^This.. I pretty much just watched him, and helped innovate the character and further pursue his metagame... There have been MANY great Yoshi's before me... I just have cool CV's.. :p (sorta) xD

Fumi, Gabe, Yonesuke <--- (I bet very few of you remember/know him) are simple examples. :)

Top Bottom