• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here was inspired by a pro to play a certain Melee character?

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I was. Gimpyfish showed me that Bowser can own just like other characters, along with Bum/CJ for DK, and T!mmy for Kirby. Thank you guys, I love to win with these characters around my friends. Hopefully someday I will get to play some of you guys in Brawl ;)

*Just to be sure about being on topic* Who thinks that Lucas' attacks look pretty good from what they've seen in those pictures?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
actually games influenced me to play as a character such as Bowser and Samus since I like their franchise

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
t!mmy and omnigamer inpire me to become a pro with kirby, though i always used him before hearing about these 2. thanx for your help you guys. i'm slowly getting better with kirby. he rules!

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
I was influenced to play DK by seeing a kick-awesome video on youtube.
This was about 5 months ago, and I still play him!

Sonic_osi

Smash Rookie
I was a long time fox fan so went straight to him as my main, but I really picked up falco too after seeing what bomb soldier could do with him.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I frequently preach that our mains tend to pick us out, and not the other way around.

Likewise, I think all of the characters I currently "main" came before watching combo videos... but my Jigglypuff game was given new life twice by two different Jigglypuff combo videos, I just don't remember which ones. Well, they were "Rollout" and "Gettin' Jiggly With It", but I don't remember the players.

D

Deleted member

People have never influenced me to play as anyone.
I'm with this guy. I just played every character thoroughly until I picked the ones that I enjoyed and I mastered them. Sorry we aren't all followers (that is to the guy that said he is making himself out to be a bad *** just because of how he chose to do his own thing).

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
I picked a character I liked and went from there, paying no attention to competitive players.
Which is why Pikachu has always been my main, despite which characters were "better."
Of course, in Brawl, still regardless of tiers and opinions and the like, Dedede might beat Pikachu in my book. Ice Climbers being second or third, tied with PT.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I never played smash 64.... and the first time i took melee to play.... my 2 sisters were playing for ours before me. One of them was using link and since she doesnt wanted me to use him also... she forced to use that unknown sowordman named marth... so i started using the crappy swordman( by that time :p ) that way.

So i think i was inspired by.... my little sister? lol

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
Fanewgie, your sig is depressing xD. Anyway i used to play luigi. Then one day I was playing smash with my friend and I was just messing with other characters and chose Falco. I just kinda subconsciously played while talking and I look back at the screen finally.... GAME! five stocked him xD

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I picked up Falco when i saw PC Chris's videos. Oh and "Teh Gemelos'" vid on youtube inspired me alot. (The video titled "Hardcore Match..blahblah" Falco vs. Fox. )

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Well, I saw some Captain Falcon videos of epic KNEE move. Like, He freakin owned with him. Name was Silent something, can't remember. I know it was awesome.

Wurmtoken

Smash Cadet
I already had my main characters but watching the EVOLUTION vid really inspired me to become as good as possible with the characters I had chosen.

Rex+

Smash Ace
I was naturally drawn to Fox, but Shined Blind (what else?) really inspired me to learn professional techniques and compete.
And my friends hate it when I Shine Spike.

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
I just have natural talent when it comes down to using Pikachu and Yoshi....

I haven't been inspired by anybody to use a character, I just choose who has less buzz around them and try to make them big.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
i've inspired many to play characters like Ness, Zelda (non-Sheik), Peach (in early years before people picked her up), Doc, Ganondorf, Mr GW, and Mewtwo.

I'm honestly not being cocky, i have friends that I've gotten into Melee. And i'm a pretty good Smasher.

detroitpistons_fan_23

Smash Cadet
well after seeing gimpy own with bowser i definatly tried what i could do with him but im still best with link after recently picking up some "advanced techniques" i saw gimpy verse a ganondorf and well i gave him a shot and im not to bad with ganon and i would never of known... i dunno kind of

:034:

Smash Hero
Darkrain and Isai inspired me to try my hand at Falcon.

I failed.

Then Nihonjin made me go back to Shiek.

Brawl Melee 64

Smash Cadet
I first picked up Shiek because shes my favorite character in the game (her being a ninja and all). I wasnt inspired by any pro or anything, in fact I started to main her long before I would hear about tiers or anything, then I noticed everyone uses Shiek. I hope to use someone a little less used in Brawl.

And why is this in the Brawl section? >_>

ifoundwaldo512

Smash Cadet
No inspiration for me. just who I feel like playin at the time. Most of the time luigi or link though

WiiLittleMan

Smash Cadet
When I first got the game, I was hooked on Fox from playing as him at a friend's house, so there was no way I was going back to anyone else. Watching a couple mew2king videos on youtube didn't hurt, either. At the very least, I saw what Fox looked like when used by a true pro. I can do some so called "advanced" techniques. The only one I use that much is L-cancelling, though. I can wavedash accurately about 90% of the time that I try, but I only ever use it to edgehog and on the UFO in Fourside (cuz that's fun :)) If I actually had to use it to beat my brother (who unfortunately is the only person with any skill whatsoever that I ever get to play), I could probably get up to almost perfect with wavedashing.

By the way, this should go in the Melee section.

pud22

Smash Apprentice
i started of wit sheik cuz i thiught she wuz the coolest char. but after watchin neo and isai usin sheik it inspired me to take my game to the next level.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
*admin plz lock ^___^ *
Stop kissing ***. :colorful:

Anyway I play everyone and I've been watching videos since early 2004. Many different players have inspired me and "shown me" different techniques and tactics with all the characters for all these 3 years. But if I'd have to pick, I can say I mostly play marth and that is definitely thanks to Ken and Azen =)

Though my favorite players are Isai, M2K, also Azen, and I guess Cort recently... I don't know they just look like really fun to play and hang out with lol.

Top Bottom