• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has a tradition of always picking Mario first?

FoxMaster77

Smash Apprentice
Who else besides me has a tradition of always picking Mario when you first get a Smash Bros. game? Mario is just my favorite video game character of all time, and the first game I played was Super Mario All Stars. Even though Mario doesnt end up as my main (that title goes to Meta Knight.), I still pick him first out of respect. Sooo... anyone else who follows this tradition?

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
When I started Melee, I felt that Mario was too "uncool" of a character. If I dislike every other guy in the game, I may try playing as him in Brawl. I've heard that he's better, yays. But I still don't want to play as him.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably play as him first, but not because he's my favourite, I just wanna get the feel
of all the old characters before I play the new ones... Maybe I'll do it in chronological order...

Mario
Donkey Kong
Peach
Bowser
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf (Unless he's unlockable)
Samus

And so on =P

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I'll probably play as him first, but not because he's my favourite, I just wanna get the feel
of all the old characters before I play the new ones... Maybe I'll do it in chronological order...

Mario
Donkey Kong
Peach
Bowser
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf (Unless he's unlockable)
Samus

And so on =P
Same here. ^___^

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I always pick Mario first, but I don't really like Mario at all (as a character. I love his games).

I pick Mario because that just seems like the best way to feel out the game. He's supposed to be the "all around" character, he's Mr. Nintendo, he's arguably "the" main character of the game if there is one at all. The way I see it, it's almost like all the other starting characters are mentally locked for me. And I have to play through as Mario in order to unlock all of them.

Sonikku

Smash Rookie
As a Legend of Zelda superfan, the first character I always play is Link. Hands down, guaranteed, always. It's a tradition me and my friend have made for ourselves, and our first match in a new SSB game will always be Link vs. Samus.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
Never picked him first. In 64 I picked Link first and in Melee it was Bowser. This time it's gonna be Pit.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I picked Mario first for smash bros. and melee as I will in brawl.He's my favorite video game character of all time and my main.:)

Silfa

Smash Ace
I will for Brawl. It justs seems sort of right to me.

I played Bowser first for Melee because the first gmae was in a department store and I was like "Woah, Bowser's a character?". As for SSB, I honestly can't remember, it was so long ago.

Meta_Knight_14

Smash Cadet
My brother and I will probably play a team match first honestly. I'm not sure which of us, probably him, but one of us will play Mario first simply out of respect. We look at Mario as the guy who launched the Nintendo corporation and paved the way for all the other great games and franchises Nintendo has brought us.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Who else besides me has a tradition of always picking Mario when you first get a Smash Bros. game? Mario is just my favorite video game character of all time, and the first game I played was Super Mario All Stars. Even though Mario doesnt end up as my main (that title goes to Meta Knight.), I still pick him first out of respect. Sooo... anyone else who follows this tradition?
Hehe... I always choose Mario first... It's a habit.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Mario's a great guy to be using when you want to get used to the game, and I also just do it out of tradition. So, yes in my case.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Mario is my fave character and have always used him in every smash. So yeah I have always used him first out of tradition.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
I am gonna go left to right through all the characters in Classic to see which one I like. So yes. Mario first.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There is a very high chance I'm going to start with Mario in this game, and not just that, I'm probably going to main him along with Pit. I mained him the two other games, and used him as my starter. I'm a loyal Mario fan, to me, he's the best video game character in all existence. I'm ESPECIALLY likely to use him considering how he's very likely a top tier character from the news we hear so far. Mario freaking deserves to be top tier in Brawl. He's Mr. Video Game as we know him today.

DiabolicScheme

Smash Rookie
Oh yes, definately. It's kind of like tradition for me and as it seems for many of you. It just feels right, I dunno.

Plus, it kind of seems like he's pretty well rounded for players who are beginners to smash. You can't really go wrong using Mario first, time through clasic or something, I think.

Not A Naruto Wannabe

Smash Apprentice
No. To me it doesnt really feel like tradition. I probably will be playing him sometime because of his balancedness and b/c i like variety, but there are other characters that I will surely start with. (MK, Pit)
But i do see where it could become tradition...

Frogla

Smash Ace
I played Mario thru Classic Mode on SSB64 and Melee dont know if i will with brawl

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
I always pick Mario first, but I don't really like Mario at all (as a character. I love his games).

I pick Mario because that just seems like the best way to feel out the game. He's supposed to be the "all around" character, he's Mr. Nintendo, he's arguably "the" main character of the game if there is one at all. The way I see it, it's almost like all the other starting characters are mentally locked for me. And I have to play through as Mario in order to unlock all of them.
thats probably what im gonna do to mario is well balanced thats why i like to start as him when i play a smash game

marioiswaiting

Smash Cadet
wow ya i always pick mario as my first. But then on i go and try the other guys, but mario is my main because i rock with him!!!

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
The only Mario I plan to play as first is docter mario. I know he wont make it in, and that's the reason i basically won't be playing as mario first lol. I'll most likely start it with pit, then I'll do adventure mode, then look through gamefaqs on how to unlock everyone, and then I'll see the rest lol.

Edit: lol if I play as pit then do adventure mode, I'll be choosing mario over kirby so he'll be played as second for me -_-

Ohh the irony..

Top Bottom