• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is worried Brawl might not be that good?

chansen

Smash Lord
Sometimes ness will have too much built up angst and wont comply with your commads, you have to smoke a cig first, then hes ready. And sometimes his uncle comes out of no where and does ridiculous damage, via a family style *** beating...kinda like a AT, but way more white trash.

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
Mastering the mysterious art of Quantum Edge Physi
Sometimes ness will have too much built up angst and wont comply with your commads, you have to smoke a cig first, then hes ready. And sometimes his uncle comes out of no where and does ridiculous damage, via a family style *** beating...kinda like a AT, but way more white trash.
ROMLMAO.....omg, that's too good....

LOL--way more white trash. :chuckle:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Chansen for president..

I wonder where the update is

*topic time*

It may perhaps influence whether or not brawl will live up to my expectations :p

chansen

Smash Lord
OMG, Lamest Update EVAR!!!

go check it out, omg teh lame

that is like a stab in the heart, and it completely disproves my update theory, dammit all to hell sakurai!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Funky music, not enough riffing.

Now im turning into a super sayin and shooting a dbz attack full of angst at sakurai *rolls eyes*

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Bwuh?! The old thread's closed? Man, what killjoys. Anyway, to the topic at hand:

I think it was you, Dylan, who mentioned that no-flinching frames are going to be broken and somesuch (correct me if I'm wrong). Well, I can't disagree more. I think it only makes sense that the heavier, laggier characters can ignore the knockback during some of their attacks. I mean, Bowser charges towards you, 450 kg of angry demon-turtle dash-attacking your ***... and Pikachu touches him barely with the point of his ears and he stops cold in his tracks, with his attack totally interrupted. Er... am I the only one who sees something terribly wrong with that scenario? :dizzy:

I had actually been predicting something of the sort: that really strong characters would have a little knockback resistance - that is, very slight hits wouldn't even make them flich.

And it would help balance them a bit, too. Big characters seem to generally be bottom-of-the-barrel, given their usual lag, huge-taget factor, and easily interrupted attacks. This would give them a chance of approaching without being punished just for existing.

So I personally like the idea, as long as they don't go overboard with it. Shows that they were aware of some of the balance issues in Melee (which, if they adress, will be more than enough to make Brawl "not suck" per se) and buffing up bad characters so that they can actually contend a bit with the others is always a plus ;).

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Ike's never going to flinch when he doesn't have his sword. That picture where Samus is F-tilting Ike is when he doesn't have his sword. As a matter of fact, he's just about to jump after his sword. When he gets it back, that's when he isn't invincible to knockback. When he goes back on the ground, just go wild on him. :grin:

Adi

Smash Lord
I hope they don't go overboard with the invicibility idea. It's a logical step in buffing the heavy characters but I can see some potential infinite invincibility situations.

That's my greatest fear for Brawl in general, that some sort of unbeatable strategy is created and we have to resort to banning characters.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I think the no flinch thing for ike is to stop the weird "sword dissapears" alternative if ike gets hit while doing that move.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I hope they don't go overboard with the invicibility idea. It's a logical step in buffing the heavy characters but I can see some potential infinite invincibility situations.

That's my greatest fear for Brawl in general, that some sort of unbeatable strategy is created and we have to resort to banning characters.
Adi, I think they're somehow going to balance this invinciblity by being vulnerable because of the lag of their attacks like with Ike. Just wait and go wild. Also, they have balance in mind, so I'm not worried about it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see today's update.

I think it's dumb you have to do up B it to come out. I don't know if Ike is heavy or not but if he isn't then it [the up b] should stay if he's heavy then knockback should be reduced [naturally, not because of some special move] but not the point where he doesn't flinch after getting piled on.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see today's update.

I think it's dumb you have to do up B it to come out. I don't know if Ike is heavy or not but if he isn't then it [the up b] should stay if he's heavy then knockback should be reduced [naturally, not because of some special move] but not the point where he doesn't flinch after getting piled on.
When he lands from the last part of the attack, that's when you can pile on him. The only time he doesn't flinch is when he doesn't have his sword. That's why Samus's F-tilt didn't have any knockback. If you can look at the picture, Ike doesn't have his sword. He's going to jump in order to chase after it.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Bwuh?! The old thread's closed? Man, what killjoys. Anyway, to the topic at hand:

I think it was you, Dylan, who mentioned that no-flinching frames are going to be broken and somesuch (correct me if I'm wrong). Well, I can't disagree more. I think it only makes sense that the heavier, laggier characters can ignore the knockback during some of their attacks. I mean, Bowser charges towards you, 450 kg of angry demon-turtle dash-attacking your ***... and Pikachu touches him barely with the point of his ears and he stops cold in his tracks, with his attack totally interrupted. Er... am I the only one who sees something terribly wrong with that scenario? :dizzy:

I had actually been predicting something of the sort: that really strong characters would have a little knockback resistance - that is, very slight hits wouldn't even make them flich.

And it would help balance them a bit, too. Big characters seem to generally be bottom-of-the-barrel, given their usual lag, huge-taget factor, and easily interrupted attacks. This would give them a chance of approaching without being punished just for existing.

So I personally like the idea, as long as they don't go overboard with it. Shows that they were aware of some of the balance issues in Melee (which, if they adress, will be more than enough to make Brawl "not suck" per se) and buffing up bad characters so that they can actually contend a bit with the others is always a plus ;).
Drascin is sooo right.

Adding ''super armor'' (that's how it is usually called in most games) to some moves are the only way to balance heavy characters if you don't want to give them speed.

Bowser for top-tier muhahaha

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Dylan, are you some sort of award-winning game developer? You seem to know that Brawl is going to suck on account of the most random things, yet you completely adore Melee despite the fact that Bowser is invincible during his edge attack. ZOMG, BOWSER IS BROKEN! Invincibility during an attack should be the least of your concerns when characters like Fox are scoring KOs on opponents who have zero damage. Your obsession with wave-dashing and how that reflects on the quality of Brawl is completely absurd. It is no wonder your other thread was locked.

I am not worried one bit about Brawl. Melee was a golden upgrade to the original Smash. Nintendo understands the delicacy of the situation, so they are not only making Brawl the best game ever, they are providing us with daily updates to reassure us that great care goes into every aspect of the game (yes, even the "space-wasting" story mode). The physics are going to be better just as Melee's was better than the original's. Sure, we may not like it at first. Anything new the first time gives a bad taste in my mouth because I feel uncomfortable suddenly knowing very little about my environment, but over time, I will take command of the physics and wonder how I ever tolerated Melee.

chansen

Smash Lord
Dylan, are you some sort of award-winning game developer? You seem to know that Brawl is going to suck on account of the most random things, yet you completely adore Melee despite the fact that Bowser is invincible during his edge attack. ZOMG, BOWSER IS BROKEN! Invincibility during an attack should be the least of your concerns when characters like Fox are scoring KOs on opponents who have zero damage. Your obsession with wave-dashing and how that reflects on the quality of Brawl is completely absurd. It is no wonder your other thread was locked.
I fail to see how this paragraph was necessary, not only are you attacking all of his opinions, but your also hitting him when he's down...completely uncalled for.

/I want the old thread back.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Sure, we may not like it at first.
Why do people all think that they might not like it as much at first? The first time I played melee I KNEW it was vastly superior to the original. Yeah, I doubt I'd have the exact feeling again, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it more after my first romp through single player.

Yes, I said it, single player. I bet it will be fun, like Melee's single player stuff was, but even better. Just cause you are a competitive player it doesn't mean that this stuff wasn't fun when it was new. Every random blue moon I even play through Melee's single player stuff (I hate the lack of C-stick, but it's still fun).

I fail to see how this paragraph was necessary, not only are you attacking all of his opinions, but your also hitting him when he's down...completely uncalled for.
The paragraph was there for good reason, as Buzz is right about a lot of Dylan's theories, especially the wavedashing stuff. I'm assuming by "hitting him when he's down" is referring to the last statement made about the thread being locked, in which case it was only a matter of time. A lot of you guys don't seem understand what spam is, or what being off-topic is.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
My concerns are towards lame characters, [if waluigi gets a slot over someone i want, heads will roll] and online play. I actually do care about online because I don't have a group of smash playing friends, so online would be like training for me. I am not worried about advanced techs *coughwavedashingcough* going away because if the developers wanted them gone, they would have been removed from the pal version of melee. (yes I would also like the old thread back, even though I only posted like 4 times in it)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Why do people all think that they might not like it as much at first?
Well, it's not so much that I sit down and start playing and think to myself, "Dang, I hate this. I wanna go back to the old one." Of course I enjoy playing/learning the new game! I suppose you could compare it more to a slight gag reflex where I try old tricks and slowly realize, "OK, that doesn't work anymore. Neither does that. That kinda words. Hmmm... ooh, here's a new trick!" You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be stuck to Brawl for the first few weeks when it comes out; my wife is gonna shoot me. >_<

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Haha, sorry for misinterpretting. I see what you are saying now though. I will be sad to discover a lot of things not working, but it will soon be replaced with the joy of discovery. I predict the first Brawl tournament will be crazy, cause a lot of people are going to keep a lot of the stuff they discover to themselves for the competitive edge. I also think that people will discover new advanced stuff EXTREMELY fast seeing as how a lot of the stuff in melee would carry over, and cause we have a good idea as to what to look for.
my wife is gonna shoot me. >_<
I didn't know you were married, but alas, I *kinda* know your pain cause my gf is probably gonna shoot me as well.

chansen

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure there is a void where people understand that a thread can evolve, and the occupants of that thread had no problem with what was happening to it, I'm sure if they hada problem they would unsubscribe. There is no way that thread wasn't appreciated with how many pages it had, yeah there was some spamming, but we dealt with it and made good conversation aside from the spam. Yes I know what spam is and I also know how to stay on topic...

"on topic"

When brawl comes out, there is definitely going to be a gray area of gaming. People are going to hate it, love it, possibly pleasure themselves to it and there is going to be no guide on how to be better or anything. It's like the great flood in the bible, we can all just start over.

Joe Soup

Smash Ace
Mastering the mysterious art of Quantum Edge Physi
People are going to hate it, love it, possibly pleasure themselves to it
:chuckle:

Given all the hype that's built up around the new Smash installment, I think we should cut Sakurai a little slack. It's no easy feat building up the third game in a best-selling series around two amazing prequels, and plus he has two giant fanbases, different in many ways, to consider while doing this.

I think the series is in great hands. Sakurai has done a great job with the previous titles so far, and I believe he will do no less this time around.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I didn't know you were married
You should wander through the BRoom more often. I posted a thread with pictures back there in January, I believe. ;)

But yeah, my wife wants to play it, so hopefully I will have a loyal doubles partner by the time the summer tournament season rolls around. It would be tricky trying to convince my wife to go to FC with me considering that it's mostly guys laying around the place. We would need a cheap hotel. :(

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
But yeah, my wife wants to play it, so hopefully I will have a loyal doubles partner by the time the summer tournament season rolls around.
I wish you luck in that, it's usually no easy feat to get a wife/girl friend to get into smash competitively if they weren't into it beforehand.
iven all the hype that's built up around the new Smash installment, I think we should cut Sakurai a little slack. It's no easy feat building up the third game in a best-selling series around two amazing prequels, and plus he has two giant fanbases, different in many ways, to consider while doing this.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I'm not worried about Brawl being a bad game. It just seems as if some people in these forums have no hope of it being better than the previous games.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is gonna be a great game

The thing is, it was announced a lot of time ago, and there are a lot of expectations

When melee came out, they just showed a video, it was great, and short after that the game came out, there wasnt that much time to wander about what it might or might not have, and yes, melee was not as expected as brawl is

So, everyone has such great expectations for brawl, and everyone wants something different. well, is not possible to please everyone, but that doesnt mean the game will be bad

I bet if they would have just announced it and launched it shortly after that like melee, most people wouldnt have even tought "i wouldve wanted this to be included" but now, all we can do is that, guessing and thinking, and thats why maybe, more than one will be dissapointed if something he/she wanted, is not in the game

I, for example would love Little Mac or Simon Belmont to be in the game, and thats cause ive been thinking who might be in there, and i cant help it, but i dont worry, and neither should u, cause i guess we all know that the game is gonna be awesome

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
The physics are going to be better just as Melee's was better than the original's. Sure, we may not like it at first. Anything new the first time gives a bad taste in my mouth because I feel uncomfortable suddenly knowing very little about my environment, but over time, I will take command of the physics and wonder how I ever tolerated Melee.

Disturbing... and awesome at the same time!

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
*sigh* I loved that thread. :( I want it back!1!1!!!!shift!11!!

OK. How can I help to bring the old thread back? I think Dylan said earlier that I had Premium membership, but no I don't have... So I can't help with the polls. I didn't read this whole thread, so if anyone pointed out an idea please post it again ;) /lazyass

And Brawl won't suck because I say so. (and because it's made by Sakurai and Co.) Happy?
Or if you want something better: Brawl won't suck!!!! YOU suck!!! lololololololol.
I think the real question is: Will Brawl be as good as Melee, or will Brawl be outclassed?

Did anyone check the Pit music thing? I currently don't have speakers so I cannot hear it. Is it good?

Sakurai, keep working your *** off!!!!!!

P.S. I am already a member at the Play 2 Win forum, and we need more members.
You should check these oher forums and see if you like it there: Omneox of Smash, New Melee Generation, and maybe, GamersValue.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
The game will be decent overall but that doesn't mean it will be competitively good. The game has a potential of being shallow, no matter what people say, the potential is definitely there. Is it unlike that it will be shallow? Yes. Most likely it will have the depth of at least SSB64 but that doesn't mean that it completely destroys the idea that it could be worse. Balancing between 2 communities can be hard when developing a game and it might end up being an issue here. We could have a single player that is a little bit better than Melee's but still not great and we could have a multiplayer than ends up being the shallowest of the Smash Bros series. The balancing between 2 communities does scare me, look what it was done to the Sonic series.

Adi

Smash Lord
Well of course Sakurai is going to say that, he's the game developer lol. What...do you expect him to say "Oh yeah, we've decided to improve the game by removing depth". How shallow a game turns out to be is really going to take it's own course when the game comes out.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan, are you some sort of award-winning game developer? You seem to know that Brawl is going to suck on account of the most random things.
1. Fox falls slower than before. Fox is nerfed, brawl sucks just a little more. Not random, it was something quite a few people notice
2. Footfungus jump, pointless technique, every character has a meteor? Adds to brawls potential suckitude
3. You can only use zero suit samus with an item. zomgz, brawl rulz.
4. Wavedashing might not be in it, if its not, Im not playing competitivly, if at all. Same goes for a lot of people.
5. number 4 isnt telling you what to do, just states my plans for brawl with no wavedashing
6. Invincibility during B moves?

I could go on and on. None of us know how good brawls gonna be, either itll be amazing, or itll completly suck. But I'd bet my gamecube (if I had one) it won't live up to melee now that Sakurai is focused on making the game for newbies who want to hold A and ''go easier on the button pressing this time''

Plus, the games on the nintendo wii, whose philosophy is ''easy games are good, because then more people will buy them, heck even old people maybe''

But at the very least the game can be played with a gamecube controller, and captain falcon will be in it. Those two things are keeping me hopeful

also, we know airdodging is in, so wavedashing probably is too.

It is no wonder your other thread was locked.
I sincerly doubt my opinions on the future of Brawl are why my thread was locked, when it was clearly stated by Kirbyking that the reason was that we were ''off topic''

even though the thread had been pretty much the same thing for the past 6 months and it was the best thread ever.

Don't like the thread? Don't think brawl is gonna suck? Don't post.

P.S. I am already a member at the Play 2 Win forum, and we need more members.
I am also a member. Join up, non scrubs :)

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
1. Fox falls slower than before. Fox is nerfed, brawl sucks just a little more. Not random, it was something quite a few people notice
2. Footfungus jump, pointless technique, every character has a meteor? Adds to brawls potential suckitude
4. Wavedashing might not be in it, if its not, Im not playing competitivly, if at all. Same goes for a lot of people.
5. number 4 isnt telling you what to do, just states my plans for brawl with no wavedashing
I agree with points 1, 3 and 4. Mostly with 3.
A item only character? That just sucks big time.

The footstool jump isn't as bad as you make it sound IMO.
In melee, most characters had a meteor, and meteors can be canceled pretty easily. I think all characters deserve a meteor move. That could give a little hope to the lower tier characters.

The so called "invincibility", prevents your character from flinching, but you still take damage. And I don't think it lasts more than a few frames.

Off-topic:
What's with this "Play 2 Win forum"? Is it really that good?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Please don't tell me you are basing this off the Nintendo World trailer. First off, trailers are never final. If you listen to the SmashCasts, you will learn that the trailer just prior to Melee's release was extremely different from the actual game. So, you are prejudging the game. Second, since we are analyzing the trailer, did you not notice that he was fighting on a low gravity stage? It was in space. Everyone was jumping super high. Fox probably only falls that fast because of where he was, not because they ruined him.
Nintendo brings more balance to the game, and you say that it sucks more? It sounds like you are more of a Fox lover than a smash lover. If it is pointless then ignore it. Melee has plenty of pointless techniques, yet you love it.
That is one less character. Why is this a big deal to you? You also haven't even verified if you can transform prior to the match starting like Sheik.
This is the worst reason of all. The competitive smash scene has thrived without wave-dashing. Not only was there a period where it didn't exist, Japanese players win all the time without wave-dashing. I cannot believe someone would avoid an entire game based on one little tactic.
No one is telling you what to do. You are free to quit because that is your right to do so. We are simply here to tell you that you have illogical reasoning for quitting.
This is not new. Why are you still playing Melee?
I could go on and on. None of us know how good brawls gonna be, either itll be amazing, or itll completly suck. But I'd bet my gamecube (if I had one) it won't live up to melee now that Sakurai is focused on making the game for newbies who want to hold A and ''go easier on the button pressing this time''
ZOMG! The newbies can flurry without effort now! Take a good look at the party games that have come out thus far. Look at Mario Party 8. That game probably took two days to make. Nintendo used many premade 3D models and did nothing to optimize the gameplay. The graphics are quite cartoony despite being 3D, and the game wins on pure accounts of luck.

Now take a look at the current state of Brawl. Every character is receiving special treatment just to look his or her best for the game; the graphics are amazing compared to what we've seen so far on the Wii. We have the DOJO giving us daily updates because Sakurai knows how important this game is to the community!
Plus, the games on the nintendo wii, whose philosophy is ''easy games are good, because then more people will buy them, heck even old people maybe''
That is the initial selling point of the Wii, but it has nothing to do with Brawl. Again, you act like this is something new, but Melee was the same way. Many people purchase and play Melee with a party game mentality, but the game is plenty tournament-worthy.
But at the very least the game can be played with a gamecube controller, and captain falcon will be in it. Those two things are keeping me hopeful
WTF? You have proof of Captain Falcon being in the game? And he is what is keeping you hopeful about the game?
also, we know airdodging is in, so wavedashing probably is too.
Without wave-dashing, what does the game lose? And what about the supposed new "fast rolls" we have seen in the videos? Are those unworthy replacements?
I sincerly doubt my opinions on the future of Brawl are why my thread was locked, when it was clearly stated by Kirbyking that the reason was that we were ''off topic''
You are extremely provocative in the way you approach discussions, and you have a reputation for throwing any thread off topic. I visited several threads and noticed people complaining about your presence driving the discussion haywire. You do not do so hot at keeping to the topic.
even though the thread had been pretty much the same thing for the past 6 months and it was the best thread ever.

Don't like the thread? Don't think brawl is gonna suck? Don't post.

I am also a member. Join up, non scrubs :)
Does it make you happy that your thread had thousands of replies? It was not the best thread ever. It was simply an active thread. Everyone becomes nervous at one point or another about this game potentially doing something we don't like, but the aspects you choose are so tiny and so specific that it's a real miracle that you like Melee at all.

Top Bottom