• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think are the most hated entertainment companies?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
What the hell???? Nintendo and Cartoon Network should NOT be on this list, not at all. Unlike the others, these do not steal blantenly from foreign animation markets with a lack of proper copyright understandings, these do not exploit their work base, these do not use predatory habbits to take control of a market, and do not own a monopoly over their respected markets. Putting these on a list of hated entertainment companies is silly. They are simply pursuing their markets, simply becasue you are NOT in their market share is not a reason to hate them.

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
How about TLC, they have like 3 shows on little people. They also have like 2 big family shows. Way to milk ******* and big friggin families TLC. Way to go.

UberMario

Smash Master
Add me to the Nickelodeon list, they completely ruined that channel.

And for the record, I don't hate Disney as a whole, I just think they're one of the most hated.

D

Deleted member

What the hell???? Nintendo and Cartoon Network should NOT be on this list, not at all. Unlike the others, these do not steal blantenly from foreign animation markets with a lack of proper copyright understandings, these do not exploit their work base, these do not use predatory habbits to take control of a market, and do not own a monopoly over their respected markets. Putting these on a list of hated entertainment companies is silly. They are simply pursuing their markets, simply becasue you are NOT in their market share is not a reason to hate them.
First off, remember, this isn't a thread to ask who is your most hated company, but a thread on who people think are the most hated in general and they can absolutely love the company.

Also, Cartoon Network and to an lesser extend, Nintendo has been guilty of copyright infrindgement at least once that I can recall. The Outsiders, a live-action show by Cartoon Network, is an blantant rip-off of another show similar to the one I can't remember and numerous songs on Earthbound are strikingly similar to well-known musics, almost all of which are not under public domain and most of them being similar to The Beatles, which could be the reason why the game has currently not seen an Virtual Console release.

Also, both companies have been accussed again and again under an well-represented group of betraying them and their has been numerous hate messages towards both of them. Consumers reactions to well-known companies are an primary factor here, so as of now, they stay.

I'd also like to add that Nintendo employees have complained of being overworked and being dissatifited with their jobs in the company. Link here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/03/its_tough_at_the_top_for_nintendo

While Nintendo will remain my favorite video game company, they are not angels.

Now what company do you think is the most hated and why?

Another vote count:
(2)Nintendo: Super Smash Bros. Fan, IAmBlu3
(13)Disney: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, TheAceLucario, IAmBlu3, UberMario, MetroidFusion, Meta Ridley46, Colonel Cuddles, ru5514n, Mota, soju, Omnicron, roacherman

(6)Cartoon Network: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, ETWIST51294, IAmBlu3, magnet20, UberMario
(3)Activision: Super Smash Bros. Fan, IAmBlu3, roacherman
(2)Youtube: Super Smash Bros. Fan, ETWIST51294
(3)Sega: Super Smash Bros. Fan, Meta Ridley46, Omnicron
(1)Microsoft: Super Smash Bros. Fan
(4)Electronic Arts: Mr.Freeman, eighteenspikes, Vrael, UberMario
(4)Nickelodeon: IAmBlu3, magnet20, roacherman, UberMario
(5)Viacom: Super Smash Bros. Fan, magnet20, UberMario, ETWIST51294, soju, Mr.Freeman
(1)Apple: Colonel Cuddles
(2)MTV: tko112, Mr.Freeman
(1)Aeropostale: Colonel Cuddles
(1)American Eagle: Colonel Cuddles
(1)TMZ: Peeze
(1)Fox: roacherman
(1)Sony: Teran
(1)TLC: Colonel Cuddles

finalark

SNORLAX
EA, they make horrible buisness moves, shut down awesome companies and they pretty much suck up all of the money from smaller publshers.

Also, stop hating on Sega just because of ONE FRANCHISE. Sure, all of the recent Sonic games are a joke but Sega has made plenty of awesome games even after they went thrid-party. It's just that everyone is too busy *****ing about Sonic to notice!
Sega: "Hey guys, check out these awesome Yakuza games!"
Everyone "YOU GUIZ SUK BEKAZU U MUKD UP SONIXSSS"
Sega "But what about House of the Dead Overkill?"
Everyone "SONICXXXSSFSDFSDFSDJSDFHSDFGHSDFHSDJKLFH!!@!@#@#@#R#E@#!~"
Don't take that offensively, just letting off steam.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I would assume thats one reason why some people would dislike SEGA, they don't show much love for their other franchises.

Same story with Nintendo, they've been milking Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon for the past few years with the occasional Kirby and Metroid game, with barely any of their other franchises getting love.

finalark

SNORLAX
I would assume thats one reason why some people would dislike SEGA, they don't show much love for their other franchises.

Same story with Nintendo, they've been milking Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon for the past few years with the occasional Kirby and Metroid game, with barely any of their other franchises getting love.
I do agree with this a hundred percent (seriously, the only franchises Sega ever gives love to is Sonic, Yakuza and Phantasy Star these days). It just annoys me to no end when people decide to judge Sega as a whole based off of Sonic and only Sonic. Sure, I know that Sonic is their biggest franchise but come on! They make a lot more than just Sonic games.

D

Deleted member

You do have a point there, but it's not as simple as that. First off, Nintendo's Big 3 varies throughout the platforms. Here's my opinion on them:

NES Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid

Game Boy Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Kirby

SNES Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Kirby

N64 Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong

Game Boy Color Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon

Game Boy Advance Big Three:

Gamecube Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox

Nintendo DS Big Three:

Wii Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Mii's

Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda have remained stable throughout the year, but the third one has been changing a lot over the past twenty-five years or so, consisting of numerous franchises. If the Internet existed during the SNES era, you would be complaining about Kirby being overrepresented.

The only Nintendo franchise I can honestly say have been neglected is Earthbound, but let's not get to that. Star Fox has received at least one console entry since the SNES and even received an DS entry in 2005. F-Zero same case, only that they got a couple of GBA games too and no DS games (Not sure why, but that's a story for another day). Pokemon console games have received decent supports. Pikimin has two on Gamecube and will be getting another one. Not to mention of revivals of old series such as Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, and Sin & Punishment on the Wii. On top of that, Nintendo has been pretty good with Fire Emblem.

Even thought The Legend of Zelda have always been part of the Big Three, but only recently have they received a decent number of games. When separating the console games and handheld games from each other, new Zelda games used to be an one per generation event, just like the Super Smash Bros. series is today.

What I will agree on is that Mario and Pokemon has been way overrepresented. It's been that way before with Mario, but it would be nice if Nintendo placed emphases on other franchises and gave both of them a rest, or at least noticeably cut the amount of games they put out for both franchises. I say Mii's or Kirby should be Nintendo's next mascot if that were to happen until a revival of Mario games.

As for Pokémon, it needs to die in general. The franchise has declined all-around in quality and I have lost hope in the franchise gaining back my attention for future installments. I might get past games once I get another GBA and GBC, but not upcoming Pokémon games. I've been brunt on every single Pokémon game since 2004 (Pokémon Diamond and Pearl was decent, but I was still very disappointed with the game).

finalark

SNORLAX
Gamecube Big Three:
Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox
Star Fox? Really? Did you never own a GameCube or something? Come on, in the early to mid 2000s, Metroid was THE franchise for Nintendo. A revival that not only finally gave the series it's 3D treatment, but also intruduced numerous younger gamers (myself included) to the franchise, became a console seller, and was univerally praised. It got a sequel which was just as well received, and it spawned two GBA spin-offs along with two DS ones. Star Fox? Two games that recived mixed reviews and one DS game in the late 2000s. Yeah, you might want to rework your post.

If you found any of this offensive, excuse those parts as idiotic fanboy ranting.

D

Deleted member

Star Fox? Really? Did you never own a GameCube or something? Come on, in the early to mid 2000s, Metroid was THE franchise for Nintendo. A revival that not only finally gave the series it's 3D treatment, but also intruduced numerous younger gamers (myself included) to the franchise, became a console seller, and was univerally praised. It got a sequel which was just as well received, and it spawned two GBA spin-offs along with two DS ones. Star Fox? Two games that recived mixed reviews and one DS game in the late 2000s. Yeah, you might want to rework your post.

If you found any of this offensive, excuse those parts as idiotic fanboy ranting.
I actually did own an Nintendo Gamecube from 2005 to 2007 (I wasn't too pleased with it) and given my reserach, I've came across the Star Fox franchise as more popular then Metroid. Unlike Metroid, Star Fox actually did great on the SNES and it got an Nintendo 64 follow-up that did almost as well. So that's why I came to the conclusion that Star Fox must have been one of the big Three. Also, Star Fox still did well during the Gamecube, both of which were million-selling titles. I'd also like to add that Star Fox Adventures was well-received by critics (Scoring an 82 on Metacritic).

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually did own an Nintendo Gamecube from 2005 to 2007 (I wasn't too pleased with it) and given my reserach, I've came across the Star Fox franchise as more popular then Metroid. Unlike Metroid, Star Fox actually did great on the SNES and it got an Nintendo 64 follow-up that did almost as well. So that's why I came to the conclusion that Star Fox must have been one of the big Three. Also, Star Fox still did well during the Gamecube, both of which were million-selling titles. I'd also like to add that Star Fox Adventures was well-received by critics (Scoring an 82 on Metacritic).
From 2005 to 2007? I'm sorry, about that. I guess that the reason why I know so much about the 'cube is because I had one from year one. When you say "the big three" I'm assuming that you're basing it off of what franchises where most successful and most popular at the time. However, you seem to be basing it off of the overall success of the franchise, in which case Metroid still wins. Critically speaking, Adventures has an average of 80% and Assault has an average of 70%. Prime had an average of roughtly 95-100%, and Prime 2 had roughly 90%. I think it's also worth pointing out that Prime was letterally right behind GTA: Vice City in sales, and if you haven't forgotten, Vice City was the best-selling game of 2002. In other words, the only time that Star Fox was more popular than Metroid was in the 90s, and that's only because Samus only got one game on the SNES and no game on the N64.

Meta_Ridley46

Smash Cadet
I take part of this back after watching the Lion King and remembering a few other Disney films I liked.
The films are usually ok. It's just the tv shows i hate with all my heart! (Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack andd cody, etc), I feel sick just thinking about them. :urg:

finalark

SNORLAX
The films are usually ok. It's just the tv shows i hate with all my heart! (Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack andd cody, etc), I feel sick just thinking about them. :urg:
I pretty much agree with this. I do actually really like classic Disney, but modern Disney is a joke (with Princess and the Frog being the exception). Screw Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers! Give me Duck Tales and Goof Troop!

D

Deleted member

New poll count!

(3)Nintendo: Super Smash Bros. Fan, IAmBlu3, PopCulture
(14)Disney: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, TheAceLucario, IAmBlu3, UberMario, MetroidFusion, Meta Ridley46, Colonel Cuddles, ru5514n, Mota, soju, Omnicron, roacherman, PopCulture

(7)Cartoon Network: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, ETWIST51294, IAmBlu3, magnet20, UberMario, ZMan
(4)Activision: Super Smash Bros. Fan, IAmBlu3, roacherman, Serris
(5)Electronic Arts: Mr.Freeman, eighteenspikes, Vrael, UberMario, finalark
(4)Nickelodeon: IAmBlu3, magnet20, roacherman, UberMario
(5)Viacom: Super Smash Bros. Fan, magnet20, UberMario, ETWIST51294, soju, Mr.Freeman
(1)Fox: roacherman
(1)4Kids: LRK20

Really am liking the amount of activity here. Let's keep it up. I think I need to do an ranking for all companies:

1st: Disney (14)
2nd: Cartoon Network (7)
3rd: Electronic Arts (5)
4th: Viacom: (5)
5th: Nickelodeon: (4)
6th: Activision (4)
7th: Nintendo (3)
8th: Sega (3)
9th: Youtube (2)
10th: MTV (2)
11th: Apple (1)
12th: 4Kids (1)
13th: TLC: (1)
14th: Microsoft (1)
15th: Sony (1)
16th: Fox (1)
17th: TMZ (1)

Aeropostale and American Eagle are undecided.

Should I remove American Eagle and Aeropostale? I want to hear from Colonel Cuddles.

UberMario

Smash Master
Add 4kids for me aswell, man they overly censored Pokemon and everything else. >_<

I liked the voices though, shame that Nintendo USA didn't keep the voice actors like Veronica Taylor, still doesn't excuse 4Kids' censorship of things like riceballs and books with unreadable text. >_>

D

Deleted member

@UberMario: The sad part is that Pokemon was one of 4Kids's very few good dubs.

finalark

SNORLAX
Please put my vote down for 4kids and Cartoon Network. I'm so annoying with CN to the point where I made a thread about it a while back....

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
SuperSmashBrosFan: I really don't know if clothing can be entertainment. It's almost entertainment. I wanna leave this up to others, but that could get ugly. I am leaning on keeping it, so I guess keep it.

4Kids: I really don't care for anime, but I have heard about some of their censorships, and it's pathetic. Count me in.

Cartoon Network: Replacing Ed, Edd, n Eddy with shows like Chowder and Flapjack? I think we're done here.

Lillith

Smash Rookie
Awh, I love Disney, mainly Pixar.

I hate EA, though. Terrible Game Servers.

EDIT: Ed, Edd, n Eddy was a good show, just nothing new was coming in for it. :(
Would be cool if they brought back Triple E and PPG. And Afternoon Toonami with DBZ, Reboot, Sailor Moon, and Zoids. Good times.

D

Deleted member

Another day, another vote count:

(16)Disney: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, TheAceLucario, IAmBlu3, UberMario, MetroidFusion, Meta Ridley46, Colonel Cuddles, ru5514n, Mota, soju, Omnicron, roacherman, PopCulture, Johnwalt, Werekill
(9)Cartoon Network: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, ETWIST51294, IAmBlu3, magnet20, UberMario, ZMan, finalark, Colonel Cuddles
(6)Electronic Arts: Mr.Freeman, eighteenspikes, Vrael, UberMario, finalark, Lillith
(5)Nickelodeon: IAmBlu3, magnet20, roacherman, UberMario, Mr.Freeman
(6)Viacom: Super Smash Bros. Fan, magnet20, UberMario, ETWIST51294, soju, Mr.Freeman, Werekill
(2)Fox: roacherman, Werekill
(5)4Kids: LRK20, Mr.Freeman, UberMario, finalark, Colonel Cuddles

These things I noticed:

- The amount of votes for Nintendo is surprisingly low. On a mult-platform site, Nintendo would receive a much higher vote count.

- The amount of hate Disney gets. Now granted, they aren't the best company nowadays, but I seriously did not expect them to reach #1.

- The very low amount of hate towards Youtube, Microsoft, and Sega.

- I got a lot of votes to work with, so might as well do something with it in the future.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the activity here. Keep it up, I'm liking what I hear from you.

UberMario

Smash Master
@UberMario: The sad part is that Pokemon was one of 4Kids's very few good dubs.
True, true, I liked Sonic X's dub also though, but most of them are just so screwed over by "oh no we can't have this" and "We can't show that person getting mildly hurt! It'd inspire kids to maim each other!"

And also the lack of copyright protection on Youtube is a double-edged sword, the recipients (viewers) love YTPs and the like, making some stuff more popular than it would have been, but is also stealing material made by other people. Unfortunately the nerds that want to spam webcam videos of idiotic stuff *Fr3d I'm looking at you!* are getting most of the popularity, and honestly after the recent overhaul I'm starting to resent YT's existance, however not enough for me to stop watching it.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
SuperSmashBrosFan: I really don't know if clothing can be entertainment. It's almost entertainment. I wanna leave this up to others, but that could get ugly. I am leaning on keeping it, so I guess keep it.

4Kids: I really don't care for anime, but I have heard about some of their censorships, and it's pathetic. Count me in.

Cartoon Network: Replacing Ed, Edd, n Eddy with shows like Chowder and Flapjack? I think we're done here.
I love Flapjack and Chowder. Maybe Adventure Time too, once that picks up on episodes.

Haters gonna hate.

DarkSamus0

Smash Rookie
I vote youtube and Disney.
Youtube- because the new layout is HORRIBLE!
Disney- simply because their shows are just ********.

And i'll let nick off the hook only because they made Invader ZIM, my favorite tv show as a kid (in fact i still like it now, lol).

So I VOTE YOUTUBE AND DISNEY.

Steven9wii

Smash Apprentice
my sister always makes us watch icarly during our dinner which tires me and my brother always watches N C I S which tired me out.

DarkSamus0

Smash Rookie
Nick totally ruined itself when it got rid of Drake & josh and replaced it with... icarly. :urg:
Gosh, i don't really care anymore because i don't watch nick. So, end of conversation.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
FoxNews

Yes, you can count it as entertainment.

D

Deleted member

@Glenn Matthews: I'm sorry, but Fox News does not count. They are an company that provide issues that actually matter, not on entertainments usually.

@Steven9wii: Would would you vote for? Please explain.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Disney. They used to be good but now they ruined it with all the hannah montana and wizards of waverly place crap

D

Deleted member

@Darkslash: Luckily, I already have Apple on the list. And new poll count:

(18)Disney: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, TheAceLucario, IAmBlu3, UberMario, MetroidFusion, Meta Ridley46, Colonel Cuddles, ru5514n, Mota, soju, Omnicron, roacherman, PopCulture, Johnwalt, Werekill, DarkSamus0, CaptainOlimar123
(9)Cartoon Network: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, ETWIST51294, IAmBlu3, magnet20, UberMario, ZMan, finalark, Colonel Cuddles
(3)Youtube: Super Smash Bros. Fan, ETWIST51294, DarkSamus0
(6)Electronic Arts: Mr.Freeman, eighteenspikes, Vrael, UberMario, finalark, Lillith
(6)Viacom: Super Smash Bros. Fan, magnet20, UberMario, ETWIST51294, soju, Mr.Freeman, Werekill
(2)Apple: Colonel Cuddles, Darkslash
(5)4Kids: LRK20, Mr.Freeman, UberMario, finalark, Colonel Cuddles

D

Deleted member

New Vote Count!

(18)Disney: Super Smash Bros. Fan, StinkomonFan, TheAceLucario, IAmBlu3, UberMario, MetroidFusion, Meta Ridley46, Colonel Cuddles, ru5514n, Mota, soju, Omnicron, roacherman, PopCulture, Johnwalt, Werekill, DarkSamus0, CaptainOlimar123
(3)Youtube: Super Smash Bros. Fan, ETWIST51294, DarkSamus0
(2)Apple: Colonel Cuddles, Darkslash
(6)4Kids: LRK20, Mr.Freeman, UberMario, finalark, Colonel Cuddles, Stinkoman Fan

Top Bottom