• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the best Sheik counters?

Texas Toast

Smash Cadet
NNID
TexasToast-3
3DS FC
1461-6200-1949
Hello all. I tend to use DK, but I feel like in this game he's really hard countered by Sheik. That being said, I need to pick up a character specifically for this matchup because it's the one I have the greatest trouble with.

Who tends to give Sheik players the hardest time? I've heard Rosalina, but am looking for other suggestions too because I'm not skilled enough to play a decent Rosa.

Thanks in advance :)

-dMT-

Smash Lord
don't we have a thread called the sheik counter.. like literally.. already? lol

greninja works nicely, maybe pac, sonic and yoshi for more close MUs in my experience so far.

Texas Toast

Smash Cadet
NNID
TexasToast-3
3DS FC
1461-6200-1949
don't we have a thread called the sheik counter.. like literally.. already? lol

greninja works nicely, maybe pac, sonic and yoshi for more close MUs in my experience so far.

Yeah but in it people were just discussing the Little Mac matchup for 2 pages and I didn't want to interrupt that...

>.>

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

EDIT: Nevermind, the thread I read was the Sheik Matchup page. Didn't see the Sheik Counter topic. My apologies.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah but in it people were just discussing the Little Mac matchup for 2 pages and I didn't want to interrupt that...

>.>

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

EDIT: Nevermind, the thread I read was the Sheik Matchup page. Didn't see the Sheik Counter topic. My apologies.
It's fine, we're all friendly around here!

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Rosalina, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, and Doc do somewhat well against Sheik. People say that Captain Falcon could work but Sheik easily gimps him, and could throw him off stage.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
I have an extremely hard time against Toon Links and Sonics :/

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
How do yall feel about Marth/Lucina? I feel like that may be disadvantaged.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Greninja and Captain Falcon are good choices against Sheik. Sonic can also be pretty good too.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Greninja and Captain Falcon are good choices against Sheik. Sonic can also be pretty good too.
I don't feel like C. Falcon does well at all, especially since he has to make commitments when approaching and needles can easily shut him down. Gimping is also easy to do on him, and we string aerials rather easily, even from high%ish grabs. Greninja feels mostly even as they both take forever to kill each other, and they both have reasonably good projectiles. Sonic sounds pretty tough for Sheik though, but that might just be my lack of matchup knowledge speaking...I have a hard time punishing most of what he does.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
How do yall feel about Marth/Lucina? I feel like that may be disadvantaged.
I feel it's disadvantaged for them. We don't even need to approach them, needles help alot when forcing them into a bad position since they don't fair too well in the air against Sheik. And speaking of that, when you force them into the air, they have barely any options of reaching the ground safely without going for the desperate dair or Counter, both of which can be baited easily.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Judging marth and lucina off 3ds gameplay is folly. It does not allow for the precision they need.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Judging marth and lucina off 3ds gameplay is folly. It does not allow for the precision they need.
Fair point, though I'd even go a step further and say that it's too early to judge a lot of match ups due to the meta shift that'll occur in less than a month

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm shocked and amazed no one has mentioned lucario. He is my bane in For Glory...

If he gets to 100 percent you can't bouncing fish punish aura spheres from the ground. He has a lot of range, an aerial stall in dair, which mean he doesn't have to commit to landings like most double jumpers do. He puts our crazy damage and can kill pretty low if you can't kill him at early percents. Right now I literally just stop trying to hitting him after a certian percentage because he wins trades so hard if you keep putting damage on him.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Lucario is a hard counter to Sheik. Nearly impossible to edgeguard, and becomes more powerful the higher % he is (which is beyond stupid design). Sheik has no killing power already, and being almost entirely unable to gimp really makes it a bad matchup. Rosalina does well against Sheik as well.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
@ Ogopogo Ogopogo I haven't played any top level rosalina's but I don't understand why she would be strong against sheik.

Semi unrelated I don't think lucario's aura is "stupid design" he is very very weak at lower percents and has trouble safely and reliably putting damage on people as well... at least in my experience. Since Lucario isn't a heavy character he suffers in match ups against the big boys who do kill low in this game off of hard reads and strong punishes. Sheik just doesn't do that... That said I think "hard counter" is a little to strong a month into the game. Lucario is power, I understand that, but he gas easy to read kills (way more readable than sheik) bar his kill throw at crazy high percents.

You can't go into the match up with a "this mechanic is so stupid that why its so hard" instead go in with "how can I take advantage of his aura mechanic?" Just like you do with every other match up in this game. If you don't like getting kill by throws don't get lucario up to 200 percent. once he is in kill range be patient. Don't tac on damage that won't either get you a kill or an extremely advantageous position that will later net you a kill.

Sharpshooter188

Smash Rookie
Hello all. I tend to use DK, but I feel like in this game he's really hard countered by Sheik. That being said, I need to pick up a character specifically for this matchup because it's the one I have the greatest trouble with.

Who tends to give Sheik players the hardest time? I've heard Rosalina, but am looking for other suggestions too because I'm not skilled enough to play a decent Rosa.

Thanks in advance :)

As a Sheik main I can say I have the toughest time with Rosalina and Sonic. Those 2 stand out a lot. R.O.B. as well but I think that's more my own problem.

Rosa has a lot of priority on her moves vs Sheik in my experience so it's hard to get in on her. Especially since Luna blocks needles.

Sonic is just a pure pain in the ass to hit. The only advantage (and a weak one at that) that I've been able to maintain over some Sonic players is needles against his specials. They don't carry any armor and he can be knocked out of them fairly easily.

Yoshi I've had no problems with, with the exception of the range on his smash.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I find Yoshi, mario, sonic, and rosalina all harder to deal with then the rest of the cast.

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
Unless you are getting top 16 at a national, character matchups are way less important than just working on fundamentals. Having said that, the only matchups that are 50/50 for sheik are mario and ryu. Mario has the tools to fight in neutral, with spaced bairs beating fairs, and cape being relatively safe as a landing tool against needles, and having an upsmash that is incredibly obnoxious... Perfect shoryuken kills sheik at 60% on smashville assuming rage on the ryu.

Shado

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pershado
3DS FC
0018-1402-9492
I think mario does pretty well against Sheik as well, Well placed Fludds and capes can mess up recovery, they can catch a BF with Fair and Up smash

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
The only characters I would say "counter" sheik are Mario and game and watch

And please guys, there is no way sheik is hard countered by lucario. That's one if sheiks easiest match up

Edit: oh, and I guess Rosa as well. Why have I been forgetting her lately?

Last edited:

Shado

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pershado
3DS FC
0018-1402-9492
The only characters I would say "counter" sheik are Mario and game and watch

And please guys, there is no way sheik is hard countered by lucario. That's one if sheiks easiest match up

Edit: oh, and I guess Rosa as well. Why have I been forgetting her lately?
Pretty sure Sheik beats Rosa pretty easily, a few fairs gets rid of luma and she isn't that hard to edge guard. Lucario is difficult for Sheik because of his ability to rack up the damage that sheik deals and using it for Aura and Rage letting him kill her at like 60

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
You're not doing the match up right if you let lucario use aura. Hes one of sheiks easiest match ups. On paper it sounds like lucario wins, but he's far from doing so

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Decent choices will be Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby. Kirby can ko better, dodge needles with crouch, and can combo her because of her falling speed; Plus, if he gets her needles, then he can use them to his advantage. As Kirby, avoid fighting Sheik in the air because she's fast, can out range him with her fairs, juggle him, while hes difficult to edgeguard, he can still get gimp due to his slow air speed and can die off from her up-b if he's at high percent. Also, appoarching her can be a pain since Sheik can make him work for it.
Mario and Pikachu, I don't know because the match up doesn't work for both of them since she wins in the air and have a better projectile, but their close to even since they can ko better and have the tools to combo her and gimp her as well(not easy to edgeguard though).

I think Lucario can be a difficult match up for Sheik because of his ko potential when his aura and rage kicks in, edgeguarding him will be easiler said than done, and he has better damage output then Sheik with his aura since she struggles with killing and he can comeback well. However, Sheik can juggle him, camp him with needles, has better mobility and frame data, combo him, and rack up damage quickly. While I think the match up can be difficult for Sheik, she won't be easy to take down

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I always hear the same pen and paper when people talk about the lucario x sheik mu. I'm also waiting for the myth about sheik having a hard time killing to blow over

pokio55

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokio55
I believe Kirby wins the neutral with Sheik's needles, so thats something to consider. Plus, hard to combo and short. Combos sheik hard

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
yoooooo I forgot about kirby. If he gets needles its actually IN kirbys favor for that period of time

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
> People saying Mario is good or even against Sheik after Ally (Placed Top 8) was knocked out of winners by ZeRo's Sheik and then got bopped by Mr.R sheik in Losers even switching to Marth to fight Sheik.

Top Bottom