• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who actually wants customs at Evo?

Are you attending Evo? Do you want customs to be at Evo?

• I am attending Evo, and I want customs to be legal there

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I am attending Evo, and I am indifferent to customs being legal there

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I am attending Evo, and I do not want customs to be legal there

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I am *not* attending Evo, but I still want customs to be legal there

Votes: 136 69.7%
  • I am *not* attending Evo, and I am indifferent to customs being legal there

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • I am *not* attending Evo, but I still do not want customs to be legal there

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I'm not attending EVO, but I likely will be attending events that follow-the-leader EVOs ruleset, so if I want customs at events I'm attending I need to push for customs at EVO.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Since customs allow me to use my 2122 Mii Brawler moveset, I'm totally happy with the result. Now I just need to afford EVO, flying costs so much money @_@

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think most of the people attending EVO love smash so much that they would attend it either way. I don't think allowing customs at EVO will have a noticeable effect on the number of entrants. I don't think it will have a noticeable effect on the number of spectators either, really.

I think it will have a noticeable effect on whether Sm4sh is popular enough to be at EVO 3, 5, 8 years down the road, though, because a healthier, more robust scene developing in the EVO copycat tournaments will pull in more new players and retain more players

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Since customs allow me to use my 2122 Mii Brawler moveset, I'm totally happy with the result. Now I just need to afford EVO, flying costs so much money @_@
Just save like $3 a day. Bam. (I dunno how much flights are for you though; they've been cheap here.)

Morbi

Scavenger
This thread is extremely interesting, based on the results so far, it seems that the numbers are extremely close regardless of whether or not the voter is attending EVO. Albeit, not many who are attending EVO have weighed in as of current.

DanoninoXD

Smash Rookie
i feel like they shouldnt be allowed, some customs are just too powerful and could make the game not fun

Charey

Smash Apprentice
i feel like they shouldnt be allowed, some customs are just too powerful and could make the game not fun
Which customs do you fell are broken? And even if there are a few broken moves why would every custom move need to be banned?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
There have been multiple 3DS tournaments in the early days of 4 with customs on. There have been multiple recent Wii U tournaments with customs on. Every one has been received positively and with great enthusiasm from players, TOs, and spectators alike. If you don't think open community polls are trustworthy, look toward the feedback generated from those tournaments for your answer.

The few (it really is a few) dissenting opinions can be summarized as "X move is unfamiliar to me, so it's not fun to fight" (imagine banning every move and tactic a player didn't find fun) or "It's too early" (what does this even mean?) or "Customs are too hard to unlock" (invalidated by AA's project, the recent unlock methods demonstrated, and not being hard in the first place).

Bold claim (not really): If you give top tournament players a choice on whether or not to allow an unfamiliar element into the game they play that may jeopardize their chances of winning, they'll try to keep that element out.

So don't give them the choice in the first place.

D1, Nairo, Hbox, Will, Chibo, Nyani, Dabuz, Bwett, Oracle, Boss, AeroLink, DeLux and more all like customs anyway!

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
the potential of customs palutena played optimally is pretty sick, but playing her optimally with glide, super speed, and lightweight is hard as ****

but of course not even close to anything resembling the shadow of a problem

plus there's nothing to prevent the banning of individual custom moves if any where to be utterly broken, so the argument is bs anyway

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Why is there no "I am not attending evo because customs are legal" option?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
That was going to be my next question lol

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Why is there no "I am not attending evo because customs are legal" option?
Very good point. You should select option 3 if this is your situation, since you are attending Evo if customs are not legal. Likewise, if the rules of Evo were to change to ban customs tomorrow, future respondents who would not go to Evo because of the rule change should continue to select option 1.

In short, if the legality of customs affects whether or not you will compete in Evo, consider yourself a competitor at Evo for the purposes of this poll.

Top Bottom