• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which SSB did you start with first?

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
SSB64 was the first I played, at my cousins' house. I was 7-8, and Pikachu was in it so I was like OMG!!!! I have to play this. Eventually switched to Kirby, though i was pretty horrible at the game. When melee came out, I didn't own a game cube, but I played it against my friends A LOT. I got dece at the game when I learned the secret art (which is actually well known) of dodging! I couldn't believe that I didn't know you could do that for all of those years, but anyways, when the Wii came out, I knew they were going to make brawl, and the the whole system JUST for this game, and now play it every single day. The whole Wii was definitely worth it for this one great game. I've switched mains a lot in Brawl, played many chars because I like all of the characters in it. Now I'm hoping next time I play against my friends, I'll be good enough to beat 'em.

The story of my Super Smash Bros life.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
ha. no one said they started with brawl. but if we look at their posts we can clearly tell they did. everyones like 64 or melee.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
A distinction should be made between casual and competitive play, as both offer entirely different experiences. I played SSB64 first casually but didn't start competitively until Melee (though I later picked up SSB64 competitively).

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I never realized how horrible it was until I tried playing SSB 64 again.
I guess I was just bad at that. xD

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Smash 64.

The stupid thing was I didn't know anybody in the game except the Mario and Pokemon characters. When I unlocked Ness, I really liked his moves and his double jump. Besides my brother always played Kirby. T_T

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
back when i was seven or eight, i went to one of my freinds birthday parties. this eventually became a ssb64 party and we stayed up till like 6am playing ssb64. i had chosen to get the ps1 instead of a 64 so i was a final fantasy 7 kid, but when i played ssb64 i got really into it and played all night. after that it was like a few years before i got a new 64 for $40 at a game stop, and i got ssb64 as well, i think melee was out by this time but i didnt have enough money for a gc. bought a wii at midnight the day it came out along with melee. played melee casually with my buddies untill brawl came out. got it the first day and desided to take it competitively.

so i started with ssb64 and didnt get competitive until brawl.

SeanxFayt

Smash Cadet
NNID
xKintoUn
Switch FC
SW-5031-3151-4071
Ssb 64 when I was..... 6 or 7 lol fun stuff....

used to run 4p's all the time and didn't have to worry about getting fussed at for winning....

good times....

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
I started with SSB64 back when I was about 8 or 9. Then I played Melee when I had the chance, since I didn't own it. I switched to Melee when I actually got it(like last year), then went onto Brawl, then went back to Melee because I got frustrated at how slow Link was in Brawl. :x I still play SSB64 and Brawl from time to time though.

I think SSB64 was the most fun I've ever had though, since my brother frequently had his freinds come over and play it for hours. By the time we got Melee, everyone had already gone their separate ways. :\

majora_787

Smash Hero
I got Smash 64 in the year of its release for a christmas present. The first thing I thought when I started it was "OH MY GAWD...FAWX AND SAMUZ IN TEH SAME GAME O:". So yeah. I got it out of pure awe of putting 10 series together in a fighting game like that.

I kept getting smash games close to their release afterwards. It was a different character each time. I remember, for Melee it was "OMG Sheik", and for Brawl it was "OMG ROB."

I remember that I joined Smash Boards a couple weeks after getting a gamecube for my Melee disc. I had a violent losing streak at the end of my Smash 64 days...which honestly brings back horrible memories.

But I have nothing but memories of epicness from Melee. ^^

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I was 11 when Smash 64 came out and I still recall playing it at a friend's house almost every day. I never got competitive in the game. I was too young.
I forced my parents to buy me Melee when it came out in '01. :p
I joined the competitive melee scene during the summer of '07 and I've been loving smash more and more ever since.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
64. I swear I thought I was the worlds greatest Smash player back when I would gather my friends and family together to play Smash Bros. for hours on end.

Played it till I got Melee and then some. I actually played it the other day after beating Star Fox 64. The Blue Marine is the ****!

Majora's Incarnation

Smash Cadet
I have a vague memory of owning the original when I was in pre-school (I picked up on the basics pretty quickly). At the time, I only knew about Pokemon (after a year, I knew a bit about Link from Majora's Mask, but I kept thinking the setting of Hyrule Castle was in Termina:laugh: ) so I just picked Pikachu, and characters that looked cool (Captain Falcon, Samus). I think I unlocked everything as well.

In first grade, I got a Gamecube, but no Melee(I think my parents were skeptical of the rating.). Thankfully a friend I had recently made had it, so I would constantly go over to his house to play it. The day came when I finally got it. When I heard Mewtwo was in it, I played it nonstop until I unlocked him. Afterwards, he was the only character I used. I still played the original periodically for fun as well. Melee was just amazing for me, it kept me entertained through grade school, providing one awesome moment after another, whether it be encountering Giga Bowser for the first time, or finally beating every Event Match. I'd say for my age(I had 288 trophies in fourth grade.), I wasn't half bad. Around fifth/sixth grade I learned about the competetive scene, but far too late. I was saddened to see Mewtwo as the worst character, but I stuck with him. I also learned about ATs, but all I could do was tech effectively. I picked up Falco and Captain Falcon, and stopped using items almost immediately. Unfortunately, I just couldn't seem to get even what most competetive gamers would call decent. I lost all hope... Then Brawl appeared, a beacon of hope.

I was incredibly excited for Brawl. I couldn't wait to play it, and hopefully enter the competetive scene. The first character I used was Meta Knight(now my ex-main). I was a little sub-par in terms of skill. I needed to find a character that fits my playstyle. That's when I tried out Olimar. He fit me perfectly. The first couple of months were a little shaky, but after watching videos of pros, and reading the Olimar boards, something clicked. I started getting much better with Olimar, and now I consider myself to be a little above average in terms of skill, and possibly more then just that. My only problem is getting my secondaries/tertiaries on the same level as my Olimar(as well as finding a way to beat R.O.B.). I've also started playing Melee again, and I'm getting better at the ATs. Now I'm going to a Brawl tournament on January 31st. I'm ready for it, and my future in Smash looks bright.

It seems I got a little carried away typing. That's really more like my Smash History >_>
Well it can't hurt to type too much right?

Tiny Giant

Smash Cadet
I started with Smash 64. I remember wrecking with Kirby and how awesome Samus' charge shot was. I never really started getting competitive with it until Brawl.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I started with Smash Bros 64 =P

The only reason I got it was because the store I went to was sold out of Super Mario 64 copies so I decided to get Smash bros because it had Mario in it. That and I loved the commercial.

Sigrid Fiinikkusu

Smash Apprentice
I started with Smash Bros 64 =P

The only reason I got it was because the store I went to was sold out of Super Mario 64 copies so I decided to get Smash bros because it had Mario in it. That and I loved the commercial.
The commercial for smash 64 was totally lol. I still own a copy of smash 64 and a 64 to play it if I really wanted to. :p

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I started on 64, and I spent like hours every day trying to improve my game, no joke. My sister used to play me and she was the only competition I could find (sadly I only played her and friends tho). In the end I was so far ahead of my friends I lost interest and only played as jiggly or link, if I knew some of the good players I would still be playing with goals.
Afterwards I never really liked melee, it was too fast for my taste. I was alright once again the lack of good competition ruins it. So I just played 64 trying to improve, till I got brawl :p.

Count Ramsely

Smash Rookie
First of all, some body else already made a post exactly like this so i'm just gonna copy what i wrote on the other one so you dont miss the details! XD

Mine was pretty simple. Ever since i had heard about Super Smash Bros 64, i had been dying to play it, cause i recognized some of the characters and levels. for a long time i never got to play it until a dumb friend (i wasnt really his friend, but he thought i was) offered to let me borrow it! XD DUMBEST THING TO EVER FOR ANYONE TO DO IS LET SOMEONE BORROW YOUR SMASH BROS WITH NOTHING IN RETURN!!! XD i told him i moved and lost it. (i actually did move but continued at that school until the end of the year, so he believed me, plus he was actually...very slow...anyways the point was i started out with Fox because i love Star Fox 64 and i saw he was playable and he had a level based of off Sector Z! then after i played it i loved until Melee came out...then i sold it to some kid for 10 bucks...worst thing i could have done with that game!!! DX Fox and Link were my best in SSb64, then melee came out and i was good with fox but then Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Link became my best. Now in brawl, Ganondorf is my #1 and my others are Link, Ike (who isnt good with him) Snake and a couple others.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Smash 64 the day it came out, when I was 7. Obviously I didn't play that competitively...but I did first play competitively in Melee.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I used to play 64 with my friend. I sure was a noob back then. The only thing I knew was press B and Down B was some ultimate move with Pikachu. Started playing Melee and STILL didn't know how to recover, do smashes, etc.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I played 64 and melee... but I was a nub at fighting games back then.
i still am. lol

i'm garbs at any 2D fighter or any of the 3D fighers there are. (thank smash for being different)

Top Bottom