• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Sonic character deserves to be a second rep the most? (A Sonic general support threads.)

Which Sonic character deserves to be a second rep the most?

• Amy Rose

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Blaze the Cat

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Dr. Eggman

Votes: 40 19.2%
  • Knuckles (R.I.P Assist Trophy)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Mighty the Armadillo

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Shadow the Hedgehog

Votes: 40 19.2%
  • Silver the Hedgehog

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miles 'Tails' Prower

Votes: 92 44.2%
  • Vector the Crocodile

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Big the Cat

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Metal Sonic

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Shadow is in a weird situation. He's an unconfirmed Assist Trophy. While he can be playable, there is a good chance that he will stay an AT.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Shadow is in a weird situation. He's an unconfirmed Assist Trophy. While he can be playable, there is a good chance that he will stay an AT.
I disagree, Dark Samus was promoted from an AT to a Character. I am not saying its 100% but I doubt they would tease us all this way to make him a AT. Plus Amy > Shadow is 99% unlikely.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I disagree, Dark Samus was promoted from an AT to a Character. I am not saying its 100% but I doubt they would tease us all this way to make him a AT. Plus Amy > Shadow is 99% unlikely.
They never teased anything about Shadow. All they did was confirm another Sonic AT (Knuckles).

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Tails and Eggman deserve it more, but Shadow IMO has a 99.9% of being the second Sonic rep as Sonic's echo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not tease in the sense of foreshadowing but tease as "Oh he's not here yet, he may be a character"
That's the situation all unconfirmed ATs are in. Just because Dark Samus got in does not mean Shadow will.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
That's the situation all unconfirmed ATs are in. Just because Dark Samus got in does not mean Shadow will.
Well yes, it shows that there is the possibility. I also don't doubt he did exceptionally well in the ballot. Plus, he has major echo potential. Nothing is confirmed, we all just are being optimistic and hopeful.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Just because Smash never hard a character who was designed from the start to be a joke/troll character in Smash, doesn’t mean there can’t be one, get your head out of your *** man. Like enough of this there is no such thing as this and that so on and so forth.
But there hasn't been one in Smash. Why are you even mad about this? Plus why does a character even need to be a troll/joke/meme pick just to be considered as a newcomer? I'm sure you like the character and I do to but in order for Big to be playable in Smash he has to wait for the other Sonic characters that have much better chances than him. His other chance is Smash Ultimate mods but that will happen later in the future.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
But there hasn't been one in Smash. Why are you even mad about this? Plus why does a character even need to be a troll/joke/meme pick just to be considered as a newcomer? I'm sure you like the character and I do to but in order for Big to be playable in Smash he has to wait for the other Sonic characters that have much better chances than him. His other chance is Smash Ultimate mods but that will happen later in the future.
I replied in a mad tone cause I read his post in an angry ton

But just because something hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it can’t like some people seem to think

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity for those who are not supper into Sonic, what are your guys thoughts of having 4 to 5 sonic reps?

SonicMario

Smash Master
After thinking about it, Tails might actually be a slight dark horse as Sonic's echo.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Shadow's the most likely and rightfully so just for easier implementation based solely on similar model.

But there is something interesting in regards to the Mii Costumes from 4 and what has come of them into Ultimate. Tails and Knuckles got Mii Costumes, and Shadow did not. And some assist trophies did get Mii Costumes back then. K. Rool, Inklings, and Chrom (Daisy too, though just a headgear and in Base game) all had Mii costumes. Indicating possibly some degree of hint at the ballot results. It didn't work quite well for everybody as there's still Ashley, Knuckles, and Takamaru. It feels weird that they'd upgrade Knuckles (AT) and Shadow (Echo Fighter or AT again) in some fashion but leave Tails in the dust like that (Though I suppose if that happens, that just leaves out the possibility of Tails being considered as DLC)

Add the fact that we now know Echoes can have at least one completely different special borrowed from another character or so. And Tails could actually be an echo if he's given some kind of flight recovery and maybe something like Peach's float to add more recovery while most of the rest of the moveset is similar to Sonic's. It could surely work that way.

So while I fully expect Shadow. Keep on the look out for Tails pulling a rug under us by being first. Though the dream scenario would be getting both in any way possible.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
WHO IT WILL BE: Tails or Shadow
WHO IT SHOULD BE: Eggman or Blaze
WHO I WANT IT TO BE: Princess Sally or Metal Sonic

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
WHO IT WILL BE: Tails or Shadow
WHO IT SHOULD BE: Eggman or Blaze
WHO I WANT IT TO BE: Princess Sally or Metal Sonic
I don't think Blaze has any right being in over Tails and Shadow. Both are imminently more popular and important to Sonic. That said, I fully agree that Eggman should be the second rep for Sonic.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
After thinking about it, Tails might actually be a slight dark horse as Sonic's echo.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Shadow's the most likely and rightfully so just for easier implementation based solely on similar model.

But there is something interesting in regards to the Mii Costumes from 4 and what has come of them into Ultimate. Tails and Knuckles got Mii Costumes, and Shadow did not. And some assist trophies did get Mii Costumes back then. K. Rool, Inklings, and Chrom (Daisy too, though just a headgear and in Base game) all had Mii costumes. Indicating possibly some degree of hint at the ballot results. It didn't work quite well for everybody as there's still Ashley, Knuckles, and Takamaru. It feels weird that they'd upgrade Knuckles (AT) and Shadow (Echo Fighter or AT again) in some fashion but leave Tails in the dust like that (Though I suppose if that happens, that just leaves out the possibility of Tails being considered as DLC)

Add the fact that we now know Echoes can have at least one completely different special borrowed from another character or so. And Tails could actually be an echo if he's given some kind of flight recovery and maybe something like Peach's float to add more recovery while most of the rest of the moveset is similar to Sonic's. It could surely work that way.

So while I fully expect Shadow. Keep on the look out for Tails pulling a rug under us by being first. Though the dream scenario would be getting both in any way possible.
Who knows maybe we can get them both. People said only 3rd parties can have one rep. Then they are saying one rep and one echo.

The poles of these fictional rules can be pushed. Tails and Knuckles were both Mii fighters and now Knuckles is the assist trophy with shadow not even present could hint at something bigger. Maybe we can see both Tails and Shadow as a rep. Tails as a unique fighter and Shadow as an echo.

Maybe we can get surprised with an Eggman Stage Boss to go along with them.

I thought about a sonic stage. What if just like the Castlevania there was a sonic stage with random boss battles.

Boss could be:
Chaos
Dr. Eggman
Infinite
Metal Sonic
Mephiles
The deadly Six

Thoughts?

How do you think the announcement trailer would be for the next sonic rep?

Not perfect but enjoy guys!

Sonic Shadow Picture.png

Sonic Tails Picture.png

Sonic Silver Fighter.png

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While Tails was the second most important character back in the 90’s. Shadow has several things standing out for him in comparison.

He was a key new character in a game that was many Nintendo fans first exposure to the franchise, and thus will resonate with them in particular.

He’s basically the Vegeta to Sonic in a series already full to the brim of Dragon Ball references, and people love that sort of dynamic. The wild hero and their anti hero foil, it’s classic, Kid Icarus even embraced it while also parodying it to an extent.

Shadow is one of the only characters in the franchise to have an actual character arc, regardless of the quality of some of the games in that 4 game long character arc, it was still a cool and unique thing for a Sonic character to go through.

He’s wildly popular and fairly easily to implement as well.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
While Tails was the second most important character back in the 90’s. Shadow has several things standing out for him in comparison.

He was a key new character in a game that was many Nintendo fans first exposure to the franchise, and thus will resonate with them in particular.

He’s basically the Vegeta to Sonic in a series already full to the brim of Dragon Ball references, and people love that sort of dynamic. The wild hero and their anti hero foil, it’s classic, Kid Icarus even embraced it while also parodying it to an extent.

Shadow is one of the only characters in the franchise to have an actual character arc, regardless of the quality of some of the games in that 4 game long character arc, it was still a cool and unique thing for a Sonic character to go through.

He’s wildly popular and fairly easily to implement as well.
Yeah, I agree Shadow looks like the prime candidate. I do hope Tails, and Silver do get in but my hopes are not to high for them.

We still have not seen his AT which means he is not decomfirmed, but this also means he may not even be in the game at all. Who knows at this point.

I really want Shadow and of he gets in he will be the ice cream.

Tails would be the whip cream.

And Silver would be the cherry on top.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Voted for Tails, but Knuckles and Shadow (especially because he is easy to make) come as close seconds...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
In order imo

Tier 1: Dr. Eggman, Tails, Knuckles

Tier 2: Shadow, Amy Rose

Tier 3: Metal Sonic

Tier 4: The rest

If these characters were owned by Nintendo I think everyone in tier 1 would be high priority characters. Eggman is very literally gaming's second most well-known villain, Tails is one of the most well-known sidekicks in gaming, and Knuckles has a very Wario-like relationship to Sonic.

Tier 2 is Shadow and Amy. Amy has her up and downs, but it still a well known member of the Sonic franchise, and just outside of the core cast. Shadow is a divisive character who at times seems to be the second most important Sonic character, and at other times seems like they just wanna forget about him.

I put Metal Sonic in tier 3 by himself because I feel like he's not as big as ones above him, but clearly a league above the rest.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
I cast my vote for Tails even though I think it may come down to a decision between Tails and Shadow should the Sonic series get a 2nd rep. Tails is the quintessential sidekick/Player 2, not to mention he has the potential for a rather creative moveset. Shadow on the other hand, has the anti-hero aura about him, is hugely popular within the Sonic community and would be a lot easier to implement into the game based on Sonic's existing model. I'd happily have all 3 as Sonic reps were that possible.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I need this in my life.

Tails is Sonic's answer to Luigi. He absolutely deserves to be the next one in Smash

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman

I need this in my life.

Tails is Sonic's answer to Luigi. He absolutely deserves to be the next one in Smash
Imagine if that was really true in melee. We could have a 3rd and maybe 4th from brawl - Ultimate. That would also have changed so many fan rules.

Hey Guys, so I added the option for you to support this thread for a second Sonic rep. I know I have the individual threads linked but there can be duplicate supporters. It would be cool to see how many supporters are here in general for a second Sonic rep.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No I don't think so.. that character is only mildly popular. I think she has more of a following than Silver or Vector/Espio, etc. though. You pretty much named all the popular ones~
I can't really see Cream ever joining Smash.

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
Tails or Shadow. That's a toughie.

EDIT: I have to go with Mighty. Sorry.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Chip, Black Doom, Erazor Djinn, The Deadly Six, Mephiles, Marine the Raccoon, Infinite, Sonic the Werehog, and Princess Elise. ALL deserve to be in the game over those other characters!

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Out of curiosity for those who are not supper into Sonic, what are your guys thoughts of having 4 to 5 sonic reps?
Honestly, I think that 4 would be enough Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadows. Dr. Eggman would be hard to pull off. The only way Sonic ever gets that many is if Sonic's IP is sold to Nintendo.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm kinda shocked to see Robotnik doing so poorly in this poll. ( EDIT: My mistake, I mistook his results for Blaze's )
He's the only character who's been in the games as long as Sonic has, has near perfect attendence ( pretty sure he only missed Black Knight ) and without him, most of the Sonic games wouldn't have even happened.
I'm not surprised Tails is winning the poll, but I feel like sidekicks like Tails and Luigi are a little over valued. I've always been of the mind that the "player 2" shouldn't get in until the big bad... but i'm probably in the minority there.

( Actually if I had my pick of the litter I'd go with Amy, but I feel like Eggman deserves it more )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I support tails. But him being an echo just seems off to me. He would have to be his own character for him to make sense in Ultimate. Sonic's Up B, as well as his neutral B, Forward Smash and other moves just dont seem to fit Tails. He would for sure have to be his own character in order to be in Smash. or at least a semi-clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I support tails. But him being an echo just seems off to me. He would have to be his own character for him to make sense in Ultimate. Sonic's Up B, as well as his neutral B, Forward Smash and other moves just dont seem to fit Tails. He would for sure have to be his own character in order to be in Smash. or at least a semi-clone.
The poll's question doesn't exactly specify echoes only. And I think at this point there's a possibility of another character from the same 3rd party franchise that is not an echo make it eventually.

Shadow should for sure be the echo if the series gets one. If Sonic can get at least an Isabelle-style clone though? You have to give that to Tails. You just don't miss the opportunity to have Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails as a possible 2 v. 2 match. You just don't.

I highly expect if there's a base game Sonic character it will be Shadow as an echo only. But I think Tails is a real possibility for DLC whether that happens or not. I'd kinda rather Shadow be saved for DLC so you have the potential of a Tails + Shadow character pack. This way Sonic fans get what they want. And those who aren't fond of Sonic can just simply not buy the pack if they can't stomach more then 1 Sonic character in their game.

Tails (semi-clone) + Shadow (Sonic echo) DLC character pack would be a win-win for Sega, Nintendo, Sonic fans, and even all fans in general as they have a choice if they're ok with having 3 playable Sonic characters. Whether they're neutrally fine enough to accept getting them or if they dislike Sonic (Or at least don't care enough about Sonic where they can't find themselves wanting to pay money for them) enough to decide to skip on them. That's their choice to make :)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is a not so popular pick, but I would have to say Omega:

This killer robot has a ton that he can bring to the table. Rockets, Flamethrowers and hilarious attitude.
He would perfect if:
  • Eggman is a boss in Ultimate.
  • Tails being in the background deconfirms him.
  • Amy Rose is over looked.
  • Shadow is somehow not chosen.
  • Metal Sonic is used as a alternate Sonic boss.
Omega would be a good representative of the Badniks that Sonic faces in his games and would bring an arsenal of fun to Ultimate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I say Shadow. Echos are after all more easier to get in then unique fighters which would take more time to do.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Let's just take a moment to say most of these characters have been confirmed at this point.

Shadow and Knuckles are Assist

Tails, Eggman, Rouge, Team Chaotix, are all in spirits.

This Bias against sonic is BS.

With no new Sonic characters in the base game, what character do you wanna see most in a DLC wave or the next game echo or non-echo?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tails got his Mii Fighter costume back and he's now out of the running.

NinjaSmash_414

Smash Rookie
It's going to be Dr. Eggman. He's the only character from the series that been there since the beginning with Sonic. Eggman have history in the gaming world as much as Sonic does. And he's one of the most famous video game villains, along with Bowser, Ganondrof, and M. Bison.

Plus, Tails don't even have the much to work with. He don't really use a blaster and most of Tails moves are retro Spin Dash and flying. If SSB didn't acknowledge Sonic other moves from Sonic Advance and Battle, then what makes you think they will with Tails' other one-time moves?

SonicMario

Smash Master
A 2nd Sonic character just didn't turn out to be in the cards for Ultimate. Tails and/or Shadow were the most feasible and popular choices and neither got anything more then they got last game. I'm not exactly confident about the only option left (Dr. Eggman) if Spirits aren't as big of a deal as Mii costumes or Assists either. It was hard enough to bring more 1st Party villains in the roster, let alone trying for a 3rd party one. Eggman arguably fits more for a Mii costume then Tails or Knuckles being he's actually human. Yet an Eggman costume wasn't added.

Sega vouched instead for other franchises that they help publish and/or own with Bayonetta and Joker that ultimately benefits them more then more Sonic characters do (Chances are, if you're a Sonic fan, you're getting Smash even for just Sonic being there alone)

The fact spirits are coming with Fighter pass characters may also give more credence that the Fighter pass characters will all be new franchises that weren't in Smash before.

Tails remains my last remaining dream choice for Smash. But I pretty much knew it was over for him once he was shown front and center in the Spirits part of the November 1st Direct, and Joker being revealed was the final nail in the coffin. (You could say the Mii costume reveal was that, but 4 playable Sega owned characters and two of the 5 fighter pass characters would seem too fishy) But I'm taking things in stride. I'm happy Sonic's still here after all.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Yo Guys! I stumbled upon a mod that is making brawl into a Sonic fighting game! Most of the sonic characters on this poll are playable too! I am so excited I can't contain myself. I tried sharing a link to their discord but I guess I can't. But here is a video of their mod! https://youtu.be/8QhSoAQGHnI

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Chaos 0, i made a moveset for him:
*CHAOS 0 MAKES A SPLASH!*
Neutral-Arm Stretch
Side-Whirlpool Spin
Up-Geyser Ascent
Down-Puddle Attack
Final Smash-Perfect Chaos

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
The toxic edge answer would drive me to say Shadow, but I don't think we need more echos.
The obvious answer would be the sidekick, or the sidechick. Tails or Amy.
Tails would have an interesting, fast pace neutral and a quite interesting recovery that I would imagine could work like Peach float but could also apply upward and downward drift, except throwing out an attack stops the float because you can't use the tails you fly with and attack with them at the same time. Amy has a disjointed heavy hitter disjoint and I could see her being the "shield break character" of the game with a relatively average movement speed both in air and on ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom