• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon should be in Brawl?

Which Pokemon should make the roster?

• Lucario

Votes: 255 26.3%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 264 27.2%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 191 19.7%
  • Meowth

Votes: 163 16.8%
  • Heracross

Votes: 64 6.6%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 112 11.5%
  • Poliwhirl

Votes: 38 3.9%
  • Sandslash

Votes: 106 10.9%
  • Paras

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • Swampert

Votes: 37 3.8%
  • Buoysel

Votes: 19 2.0%
  • Bulbasaur & evolutions

Votes: 52 5.4%
  • Munchlax

Votes: 45 4.6%
  • Lugia

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Charizard

Votes: 116 11.9%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 63 6.5%
  • Scyther

Votes: 189 19.5%
  • Sneasel/Weavel

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Kadabra

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Gengar

Votes: 111 11.4%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle & Minun

Votes: 108 11.1%
  • Hitmonlee / Hitmonchan

Votes: 207 21.3%
  • Eevee & evolutions

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • Grimer

Votes: 40 4.1%
  • Missingno

Votes: 95 9.8%
  • Cubone

Votes: 120 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
no, he is the protaginist! he isnt evil, mario is! running around, destroying castles... he makes me sick.
anyway, charmeleon stands about no chance because it isnt popular.. and charizard has been in a pokebal for about every game, where he is gonna stay making its chances nil.

He can use slash, fly, flametower, wing attack, fisure
o great, nice move pool. maybe other pokemon have good move pools, like dragonite maybe

Aerialist

Smash Cadet
I always saw Charizard as the next pokemon added, of course we usually only think of characters who would be fun to play with, usually meaning good characters. I just can imagine charizard being a good balanced, possibly slow, character. The only problem is that he is already in the game.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
being the 2nd most popular pokemon, he would have high a high chance of being a character. that is if he wasnt in a pokeball, where he is going to stay and if he wasnt a starter. if charizard got in, blastoise would have to be in to. you cant have characters that have counterparts that noone really likes. do as much people like hitmonchan as himonlee? no. sure, hitmonchan looks very humanoid. big deal. sounds boring. just because something looks like a human doesnt mean that they have more priority than anything else. does waluigi have more of a chance than kirby? i think not.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
if they do decide to add any old gen pokemon i say Meowth. Charizard is one of my favorites from the first gen but he's obviously not going to be playable. i say meowth based on how much history he's had with the anime series. he was even close to having his own game. (not sure if Japan got it) plus he talks. not like it's a big deal but it seperates him from all the other pokemon that repeat their names when they talk. im not a big Meowth fan but i think he should get a spot. pichu represents the gold/silver gen and if they get rid of it they should put a better pokemon in it's spot. for ruby/saphire Blaziken. probably Munchlax just for laughs. no deoxys please. and then Lucario for the newest one. seeing as the first gen was the most popular it should have the most pokemon to represent it. in my opinion.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Blaziken and Charizard have a very low chance of making it in. Whether they are popular or not, these two are a package deal. If either of these two made it in Brawl, Nintendo would have to incorporate the fellow starters of the same region into the game but not as pokeballs. If so happens Kanto starters(Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise) would be a wiser choice as people would be more familiar with pokemon from the era when the series was most popular. Besides this time around Sakurai is looking forward to introducing overlooked characters as well as classics ( eg pit ! ), so dont expect anything your unsure of.

Black/Light

Smash Master
^^^I really like how people make up rules, as if they know what goes on in the choosing of this game's characters like "no starter pokemon are going to be in" or " that 3 party character isn't important enuff cause it only had one game". . . .(makes you sound REALLY smart)

Who says their a "packaged deal"? Hell, it the pokemon games you only get one so even in their respective games they don't come together.

And Im a soul believer in "appeal to the customer" as in give the people what they want most. If most of the people want Blaziken more than the other 400+ (as seen here and on the Nsider) than I think he would have taken that into concerneration when he was chosing characters. (He could still being choosing but I think for the most part he is done)

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
omg! get 2 characters and make a combined clone out of them? its genius!
1. no more electric rats!
2. i think the whole double team thing should be unique to IC. giving it to other characetrs would just ruin it

Black/Light

Smash Master
1. It seems that P&M stand a fairly good chance of replacing Pichu.
2. How would making more tag teams "ruin it"? They could do alot of different things with P&M than they did with the IC.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering how one would judge how much of a chance a pokemon would have of appearing in Brawl.

There are no formulae to go by, and having only two games worth of evolution (if that makes any sense) there's no way you could derive a solid pattern in the game developers' tendancies.

Black/Light

Smash Master
There are no formulae to go by, and having only two games worth of evolution (if that makes any sense) there's no way you could derive a solid pattern in the game developers' tendancies.
Thank you for saying this!!! (you seem to be one of the few people I have seen that takes this into thought)

I could make a whole agrument (I think I did that at one time) about how theres no way to perdict the out come of which pokemon will get in because we don't really know how they are choosen. The only "pattern" we have is that all the pokemon in SSBM are VERY popular in their repective gens and games.
SSB
Pika and Jiggs- Ones the US pokemon mascott, the others Japan's pokemon mascott.

Next Game. SSBM
Pichu and M2- One is the mascott for the 2nd and liked alot because of it's relationship to Pika. The other is highly liked because it was seen as the first villian pokemon and was given the title " the most powerful pokemon (which got pissed on by the 4th gen I might add)" and was also the star of the first pokemon movie.

It seems that they go souly by how liked (popular) or well known (mascott) a pokemon is. Thats why I say P&M replacing Pichu because they are the new pika rips, are very unique and are the only true 3rd gen mascotts (Also Pokemon ranger mascotts), Lucario because he is more less the M2 of his gen (as in had a movie staring him as the main character and is very popular) and Blaziken because of her massive popularity from the 3rd gen.

But I can't really say who the divs will choose seeing as their choices for the last 2 games haven't been exactly what I would call "perdictable" because, as we have seen, there are 3 mascotts (2 of which are in the same family) and one thats very popular.
(I made this pretty long because Im bored and need to keep typing. . . .so sorry for the long reply )

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
well, the reason for that rule about starters not being characters is because of another formula. the formula with starters being in pokeballs. (i dont know what happened to totodile though ><' totodile rocks...) so if the starters have been in pokeballs for the last 2 generations, do you think that would change now? anyway, i dont think pichu being in had anything to do with popularity, i assume it was all for convenience, i mean they ran out of time and had to make clones. what an easier clone to make than pichu? get pikachu, slightly change his forms and his moves and thats that.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . . But with that "formula" was the "Legendary pokemon are pokeballed" formula. Yet M2 came in due to his popularity:ohwell: . And as you can see they don't just throw in all the starters they can, Frealitgater (sp) was a starter just like the others yet they didn't put him in. Why would they say "screw him!"? IDK, I just know he aint there. So if M2 can break the "all Legendary pokemon must be pokeballed" rule/formula than I can very well see Blaziken breaking the already broaken "all starters are pokeballed" rule/formula. There really is no "formula" that says this stuff. They sem to pokeball pokemon based on them being the stand outs of their gen and choose playables based on how massivly popular they are.

And Pichu was/ is the 2nd gen mascott. The reason for most of the clones having other characters moves is because of time. . . but I really can't see them choosing Ganon to be in only because he was built like Falcon nor do I think they would only put in one of the 2 new pokemon in melee because it was close to Pika's look but didn't, in any way, look at how popular he was for the whole year that the 2nd gen has been out world wide before they came out with SSBM.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
meh, i guess they cbf thinking of a pokeball move for totodile... anyway, there isnt necisarily a legendary pokeball rule. what legendarys are in pokeballs? all the legendary birds (package deal), all the legendary dogs (package deal) and mew and his equivilent celebi (package deal, the others are jirachi and.. the 4th gen one...). mewtwo doesnt fit into any of those groups, he isnt part of a package deal like the others. he is his own pokemon.
besides, ganondorf was a must, they probably had a moveset planned out for him (havent you seen his sword you can acces though cheats?) but they couldnt implement it in time, so they were forced to make him a clone. after, that, they were probably forced to fill the remaining slots with other forms like pichu and dr mario. his popularity played a really small role probably, such as not being igglybuff instead.

Black/Light

Smash Master
meh, i guess they cbf thinking of a pokeball move for totodile... anyway, there isnt necisarily a legendary pokeball rule. what legendarys are in pokeballs? all the legendary birds (package deal), all the legendary dogs (package deal) and mew and his equivilent celebi (package deal, the others are jirachi and.. the 4th gen one...). mewtwo doesnt fit into any of those groups, he isnt part of a package deal like the others. he is his own pokemon.
I would think M2 would be a "package deal" with Mew seeing as they both are the same with M2 just having twisted stuff done to his DNA to make him different. And you keep saying "package deal" yet I thought the 2nd gen starters would have been a "packaged deal" had it had any real importance. These "packaged deals" you speak of are all legendary pokemon. . . .why don't they just fall under the "Legendary pokemon are pokeballed" rule than? So what? Is there a "legendary beast are a packaged deal/ Legendary birds are a pakaged deal/ event only pokemon are a packaged deal" and any other number of "packaged deals" you can make up or is it a "legendary pokemon are pokeballed" deal?

I wish people would stop trying to look for pattarns where there ar none. . . . the only pattarn I see is that they choose well know pokemon from the games as pokeball pokemon.

besides, ganondorf was a must, they probably had a moveset planned out for him (havent you seen his sword you can acces though cheats?) but they couldnt implement it in time, so they were forced to make him a clone. after, that, they were probably forced to fill the remaining slots with other forms like pichu and dr mario. his popularity played a really small role probably, such as not being igglybuff instead.
Wow, so Pichu wasn't put in duo to him being the face of the 2nd gen in your opinion? You think they just tossed him in without even thinking about how popular he was when he was VERY popular amung poke fans (aka the 2nd gen mascott)? Wow. . . .thats a huge co-wek-ke-dink if you ask me.

And the reason Sarukai gave for Doc being in was because he wanted a reason to use Doc's song seeing as he really liked it for some reason. With all the other clones (Falco/ Y. Link/ Pichu/ Roy/ Ganon) there seems to be reasons for their involment in SSBM such as being popular characters and so on.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
mewtwo is the only legendary that doesnt fit in with the rest, he isnt part of a package deal, he is completely different from mew despite being a clone, in fact you could even say mewtwo isnt legendary because of the fact that it is a clone of a legendary.
anyway, is there any proof that pichu was the 2nd gen mascot? i dont remember it that way... anyway, i believe that if they had enough time, pichu and dr mario would have been replaced and the other now clones would have unique movesets or be luigified at least.

Green Gamer

Smash Cadet
I chose scyther charizard gengar & cubone for the pokemon in brawl because they all have distinct moves I personally would like to use in brawl.

Black/Light

Smash Master
mewtwo is the only legendary that doesnt fit in with the rest, he isnt part of a package deal, he is completely different from mew despite being a clone, in fact you could even say mewtwo isnt legendary because of the fact that it is a clone of a legendary.
. . . One can agrue that he is apart of the "2 powerful pys legendaries" in the pokemon games seeing as he and Mew are pys and the 2nd gen birds are also part pys. But he is legendary and is in his own pattarn in the pokemon games as the "one super powerful pys legendary every other gen" if you look at Deoxy.

But all in all your "packaged deal" BS hold no water because, as I said, they show that they don't give a **** about if somethings apart of w/e group your making up. This is shown throught them not putting Feraligater(sp) in with the other starters. What, is Feraligater no longer a starter now? Does it only "seem" like he is the second gen water starter when there really isn't one to begin with?
Explain that and explain why EVERY legendary pokemon in the 1st and 2nd gens are in pokeballs but M2 isn't.
(Oh, I didn't even notice that your connecting Mew to Ceiba(sp) when they arn't a "packaged deal". They come from different gens, but they are the same kind or pokemon as in cute lil pys legendary event only pokemon (just like every gen has it's new Pika/ cat/ 3 legendaries rips and ect )).

anyway, is there any proof that pichu was the 2nd gen mascot? i dont remember it that way... anyway, i believe that if they had enough time, pichu and dr mario would have been replaced and the other now clones would have unique movesets or be luigified at least.
Does the Pichu brothers's short movie "Pika and Pichu" ring a bell? http://64.72.117.249/movies/pikachu3/
The Pichu brothers where one of the first 2nd gen pokemon to be shown if I remember correctly. They where used to interduse us to the 2nd gen.
Pichu was bond to get in with or with out being a clone.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman

i understand exactly what your saying and i agree with you. mewtwo is to me his own. mew and Celebi are (if you played the games) the pokemon you get when you use a gameshark.. unobtainable unless you use one and if im correct mew was pokemon 151 and celebi 251. come on now.. regi rock, regice, and registeel are going to be the next 3 in the pokeballs just like the birds and the dogs. believe it or not there is a pattern. if it was one game then we obviously couldnt assume that. but seeing as it repeated that way in melee it would only make sense that they do it again. but Pichu is popular and i think that's why it got in. all of the pokemon for that matter.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
i believe that pichu would have been an extremely easy clone to make, and i think that is the reason he got in. even if he was popular, it wouldnt have made a difference because he was just what they were looking for, an easy to make clone. i think that if they had sufficient time to make the game without clones, pichu's chances of being in would have dramaticly dropped (down to about 10%).
anyway, maybe the reason they didnt add totodile was because it was difficult to think of another water move. the only water pokeball pokemon is blastoise, perhaps thats because after a stream of water, there arent many other water moves. totodile will probably be a pokeball pokemon in brawl though.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
yeah i cant believe they didnt even put it in melee. cyndaquil, chickorita, but no tododile.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
Lucario features a nice character to use, hand-to-hand fighting, then Wave using projectiles.

Black/Light

Smash Master
believe it or not there is a pattern. if it was one game then we obviously couldnt assume that. but seeing as it repeated that way in melee it would only make sense that they do it again.
Look, I know that as humans we like to make everything a pattern inorder to perdict the possible out come of something but, the thing is, we need more than just 2 variables to make a pattern.
Example. 1. . . .4
(This could either be x ever number times 4/ + 3 to the number/ add 3 than add 4 than add 5 and so on along with a number of other things these could mean)

The only pattern there seems to be with the pokeballed pokemon is that they are well known pokemon from their gens. The divs arnt forced to put all pokemon of any group in the balls nor are they forced to only make playing pokemon that have no connection with the other 100s.
And pluse, the pokemon games don't even have a well seen pattern in their legendary pokemon. 1st gen- 3 birds and 2 psy/ 2nd gen-3 beast, 2 psy birds and a grass/ pys. . . / 3rd gen-3 golums, 3 dragons 2 psy/4th gen-3 psy 3 dragons; a dark type, fire/ steel type, 2 normal types, 3 grass/ psy types and some others Im sure I forgot.(Wow, just thought about it. Will they have pokeball room for reg pokemon if they choose to add the 20+ legendary pokemon that have popped up from these last 2 gens?)

So yeah, M2 is a legendary. . . but he isn't in a pokeball. What does that mean? Not all legendary pokemon are pokeballed. Fareligater is a starter but he isn't in a pokeball. What does that mean? Not all starters are pokeballed. Thats the hard facts about the deal so this agrument is over. . .

edit-
i believe that pichu would have been an extremely easy clone to make, and i think that is the reason he got in. even if he was popular, it wouldnt have made a difference because he was just what they were looking for, an easy to make clone. i think that if they had sufficient time to make the game without clones, pichu's chances of being in would have dramaticly dropped (down to about 10%).
Wow, thats alot of BS assuming you got there. Lets look pass the fact that Pichu was to the 2nd gen what Pika was to the first (as in a tool to interduce us to the 2nd gen of pokemon). For that matter, Y Link was only added as a easy to make lil Link and Roy as a easy to make Marth rip. . . .

anyway, maybe the reason they didnt add totodile was because it was difficult to think of another water move. the only water pokeball pokemon is blastoise, perhaps thats because after a stream of water, there arent many other water moves. totodile will probably be a pokeball pokemon in brawl though.
WRONG, Suicune was also one (ya know, the one in your legendary beast "packaged deal").
Way to make up a bad reason. . . .hey, I will try to make up some BS too (^_^). Maybe they where going to make Feraligater a playable pokemon but ran out of time so they had to leave him altogether.
Fact of the matter is that it aint there because the divs didn't make him so it seems that the starters aint lookn like a "packaged deal" to them. . . .

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
And pluse, the pokemon games don't even have a well seen pattern in their legendary pokemon. 1st gen- 3 birds and 2 psy/ 2nd gen-3 beast, 2 psy birds and a grass/ pys. . . / 3rd gen-3 golums, 3 dragons 2 psy/4th gen-3 psy 3 dragons; a dark type, fire/ steel type, 2 normal types, 3 grass/ psy types and some others Im sure I forgot.(Wow, just thought about it. Will they have pokeball room for reg pokemon if they choose to add the 20+ legendary pokemon that have popped up from these last 2 gens?)
I thought it was:
1st generation-3 birds, 1 uber psychic, 1 balanced stat psychic
2nd generation- 3 beasts, 1 psychic bird, 1 fire bird, and 1 grass psychic
3rd generation- 3 golums, 2 dragon/psychics, 3 giant ubers, one balanced stat psychic/steel, and 1 special uber psychic
4th generation- 3 psychics, 3 dragons, 1 psychic that runs around, 1 dark, 1 fire/steel, 1 normal, one grass, 2 water, and 1 that changes types depending on plate it's holding and being the most powerful.

Anyways, I don't think they should include all the trio legendaries unless they are part of a stage or something. The only legendaries I could see in pokeballs are the special event ones that will probably fly away. The other legendaries should be part of a stage depending on what region they come from. I especially don't want Aruseus to show up in a Pokeball because it's supposedly the creation Pokemon. Aruseus should probably appear on the background of a certain stage to attack everyone.

Mewtwo should still be a playable character because of his potential to be a better character. He has a pretty good back story, and he's the only legendary to be created by scientists.

Deoxys would also make a pretty good character with his ability to change forms. However, I'd rather have Mewtwo stay for SSBB than have Deoxys replace him.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
you know, you dont have to try and counter every single post i make. just because i have a few beliefs doesnt mean im trying to fill everyone with BS.
Wow, thats alot of BS assuming you got there. Lets look pass the fact that Pichu was to the 2nd gen what Pika was to the first (as in a tool to interduce us to the 2nd gen of pokemon). For that matter, Y Link was only added as a easy to make lil Link and Roy as a easy to make Marth rip. . . .
just because pichu was one of the first introduced 2nd generation characters doesnt mean that he is one of the most important pokemon ever. wasnt donphan introduced earlier in the mewtwo movie? does that make donphan one of the most important pokemon ever?
anyway, Y link was one of the few important characters from LoZ at the time, so im alright with him if he was a clone or not. roy on the other hand, i dont know the first thing about FE so i dont really care about him.
WRONG, Suicune was also one (ya know, the one in your legendary beast "packaged deal").
Way to make up a bad reason. . . .hey, I will try to make up some BS too (^_^). Maybe they where going to make Feraligater a playable pokemon but ran out of time so they had to leave him altogether.
Fact of the matter is that it aint there because the divs didn't make him so it seems that the starters aint lookn like a "packaged deal" to them. . . .
did you see suicune using a water attack? it looks more like ice to me. it could have been maybe because they had limited developement time and they didnt have time to add every pokeball pokemon they were planning for. i mean think about it, how many new pokeball abilities did they add? the legendarys got some but then pokemon like unknown replaced beedrill, and wheres onix gone? they didnt even make a replacement pokemon.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
yeah, blastoise is the only pokemon using a water attack. goldeen flops around and staryu uses swift (a normal attack). suicune looks likes its doing icy wind or something like that.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I forgot to add my to the list. . . .
Marill
Goldeen
Staryu
(none of which use water attacks. And Suicune is water type
http://64.72.117.249/pokedex-dp/245.shtml )

Yes, this was about him saying "Blast is the only water pokeballed pokemon" (as I quoted in that post) so it's his falt if it when over our heads that he mean't attacks.

. . . But Charizard and Cyndquil both do the same attack (Flamethrower) so that point is useless.

Your point on Pichu is that it got in NOT because of popularity, NOT because it's seen as the mascott for the 2nd gen by poke fans but because it was a easy-to-make-lil-Pika but than you think that Y.Link (the face of MM which is to OoT as the GS games where to RB) got in do to popularity and not because he is a easy-to-make-lil-Link?
Yeah, your point has many holes in it. . . .and your the only person I have seen that can't see that Pichu is the 2nd gen mascott:ohwell:

And to your limated time point. It doesn't matter. Why? Because your whole point is that all starters are pokeballed. If this was the case and all starters where "packaged deals" (as you say) than I would think that they would work on the starters before a pokemon like, say, Marill for example.
This shows that not all starters are pokeballed. . . . the end. We can make up w/e reasons we want but at the end of the day the fact is seen in this game that they didn't see it as a needed rule to pokeball every starter. So no, they arnt "packaged deals".

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
hm... i'm pretty sure in crystal Suicune was ice type... but then again I haven't played in a while. Could very possibly be water.

kaid

Smash Master
*pulls up netbattle and sets it it Crystal* Nope, still water.

If you're going to say Pichu got in on popularity, then I'm afraid we're going to have Tingle in Brawl.

Like Pichu, Tingle is insainly popular in japan, and widely detested in the West. He has had his own game, like Pichu has had movies. Since his appearence in Melee, he has appeared in several other games, notably Wind Waker and his own "rupee land" game.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well popularity helped Pichu to get in. He, un-like Tingle, was loved by fans of his respective series (aka the 2nd gen mascott). BUT, his love has moved on and now he is widely hated. . . . chances are he will be droped for another pokemon (P&M). I don't see how someone that is in the position Pichu is in right now can get in. . . but who knows? As long as Midna and Wolf Link get in I don't care who else from the LoZ they choose ( Midna's
true form would be a nice transformation for them and a good Sheik-with-magic replacement for Sheik IMO but I dont see that being too likely so. . . w/e
).

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
hmm... i feel like this poll should be restarted kinda, there are a few pokemon that were added later on that i never got to vote for, pokemon that would have been supported later on and pokemon that got support for a few weeks, and then lost it all. just an opinion though.

kaid

Smash Master
What if we reset it with, say, just the pokemon who got over 100 votes on this poll?

And link to each support thread, while we're at it?

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
hmm... good idea... i feel like making a new dragonite thread anyway. so the choices would be:
Lucario
Blaziken
Deoxys
Meowth
Dragonite
Charizard
Scyther
Hitmons
Marowak (not cubone, everyone would probably prefer Marowak)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom