• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which of these would best cover Ganondorf's weaknesses?

Kholdy

Smash Cadet
Hey all ;O Doubt you remember me, I'm some random Ganon main who hardly ever posts yet reads everything.
Anyways, I'm trying to figure out who to pick as my secondary. As the title states, I need someone to cover Ganon's weaknesses. I'm definitely sticking to maining the Dorf, but a decent backup never hurt anyone. These are the characters I'm willing to learn:

Bowser
Captain Falcon (well... I doubt he can cover the weaknesses >_>)
Ike
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Lucario (This is my current secondary, but I wouldn't say I'm any good with him)
Marth
Peach
ROB
ZSS (Would prefer only ZSS, not Samus, unless it's really necessary. Doubt I have to learn Samus to play ZSS though)

Thanks in advance, and sorry to ask you guys about different characters >_>

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Not interested in Zelda, at all?
She does pretty well against the characters that Ganon has problems with.

Kholdy

Smash Cadet
Iunno, I never liked her. Didn't find her fun to play with.
Edit: I only just realized that sounded totally wrong.

B!squick

Smash Master
Tactical has a match up chart with info from all the character boards that's pretty up to date. Marth would be a good choice simply because he's high tier.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Bowser- Has a lot of same weaknesses as Ganondorf so this is a definate no unless you get really good at using the flying slam cancel. If you are really interested, I'd recommend watching how Ninjalink uses him.

Captain Falcon- No, this is taking a step back if anything.

Ike- Pretty much the same weaknesses to a lesser degree. Like with Bowser, definately an improvement but not one large enough to make a large difference in tournaments.

Jigglypuff- No, just no...

Kirby- Kirby is a solid character; lots of nice set ups, great recovery, and a fantastic off stage game. His only problem is that he lacks projectiles, his range kind of sucks for his ground attacks, and that he's on the lighter side but his strengths easily make up for it.

Lucario- A good choice too but playing a good Lucario takes a lot of patience. Like Kirby, a lot of sexy set ups but the adjusting to his aura can be a genuine pain if you try to rush things or take a ton of risks.

Marth- Probably a better choice than Kirby. His strengths are obvious but the difference between a good Marth and a great Marth is all about proper spacing and, again, it all depends how much you want to dedicate towards this character.

Peach- Would be a solid choice if she didn't get ripped apart by most of the high/top tier characters.

ROB- Another good choice with the only major weakness being having a hard time fighting off people when he gets knocked in the air. It could be said that he does cover a lot of Ganondorf's weaknesses too so it's a good choice.

ZSS- Like Marth, your skill will be mostly determined by how you space. In my opinion, ZSS has one of the highest learning curves because of this and, truth be told, she probably has the hardest time getting KO's out of most of the cast unless you play smart and genuinely think about each of your actions (like Shiek, Sonic, or Yoshi). If you're willing to put in the time, good for you but if you're not, I'd go with Kirby or ROB.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Meta Knight would be good, but everyone will hate you.

Toasty_Biggins

Smash Rookie
It's not like I have a ton of experience or anything, but about two months ago I started using Marth as a secondary and I have found it very rewarding. Within the circle of people I normally play with, people I can't beat with 'dorf usually fall to Marth.

That said, it's mostly about personal preference, but I just felt like saying that you should give Marth a try.

stRIP

Smash Ace
Lucario is my main together with ganon...ganon is representative and i play him a BIT more!

Lucario is IMO a good choice. You can counter Falco (its 55:45 for Lucario Afaik) Shiek, Ic's (not sure if Lucario is > IC's but i think so) you got a nearly neutral matchup vs Olimar (small disadvantage here) and you are 50:50 onstage vs metaknight, but he pwns lucario offstage

Oh, and i like t3h blu3 ph1r3

:034:

Smash Hero
MK is the best tactical decision... But, just look at the match-up you personally have trouble with and look at which characters counters them. I personally have trouble against D3, so I have my secondary Pikachu to take care of him.

Kholdy

Smash Cadet
So I guess it's Marth so far.
One little thing, not sure it matters, but one of Ganon's worst matchups that I don't really mind is Samus. I play Samus on a daily base because I have two friends who main her and one who has her as a secondary. I'm quite used to her moves and can beat her consistently.

But I guess Samus isn't really a good character and I should worry more about Falco and such >_>

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I'm deadly serious.

I wouldn't punch you if I saw you irl or anything though.
I don't think we will ever see each other in real life, ever. If any of you are wondering, I do not use Meta Knight.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Sorry to pop in so randomly, lol.

Marth has no bad match-ups except D3 and Meta Knight, but they're both managable. I'd say go with him, you'll never be at disadvantage.
Ehh... Please, to anyone who looks at the Marth boards' MU thread: Take every digit in there with a grain of salt. Not wanting to make the Marth boards look bad or something, but their way of determining advantages/disadvantages is rather... unique.
Marth is a very good character, but very hard to play on a higher level, not only because of you having to learn to space properly and use the tipper.

Out of the characters you listed, though, Zamus, Kirby or Marth probably would be the best bets.

Also, don't worry about Samus in competetive play - you will hardly, if ever, encounter a Samus at a tournament.

Purps

Smash Rookie
Long time board stalker, first time poster. I main Dorf and use Marth as a secondary. I find that Marth matches well against everybody except metaknight, D3 and falco. But yeah, spacing is essential and takes lots and lots of time to nail down.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I'll chime in here.

I've thought at lot about secondaries, and I have yet to come to any sort of conclusion. I play DK, Olimar, Jiggz, TL, and Captain Falcon for fun, but none of them (except MAYBE Olimar) work well as a secondary, but I love playing all of them. Perhaps rather than pick one secondary, you could pick a couple. Sure, picking Marth (or obviously MK) covers your bases, but it's just not that interesting IMO. Marths and MKs are a dime a dozen I'd rather get really good at say...Olimar, Sheik, and maybe ICs in addition to Ganon as a means of taking care of those match-ups that are exceedingly hard, but honestly, none of these chars are as fun to play for me as Ganon. I wish Jiggs worked better as a secondary because I find her extremely fun to play. Probably because she plays so radically different than fat boy Ganon.

What about Diddy? He's mad fun.

Just my 2 cents.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Diddy and Wario are fun cps, less common than MK players (moreso Wario, as Diddy is gaining in popularity), and they have very few bad matchups.

Ganon is my pirate ship counter, lol. No one takes me there anymore, though :(

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
I wish Jiggs worked better as a secondary because I find her extremely fun to play. Probably because she plays so radically different than fat boy Ganon.
Inorite? If it doesn't work with Big and Scary, kick some butt with Light and Airy.

Go with Kirby. I personally hate the little *******, but he's a good complement to Ganon. Marth is meh, after playing against Marth a lot, I just find him boring and static. Kirby's at least dynamic and maneuverable.

Top Bottom