• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is better: Toon Link or Link?

Dylan Guyenne

Smash Cadet
Well, both are them are good. Toon Link is weaker than Link but he's faster than the original Link. And Link is stronger than Toon Link but slower. What do you think? Which one is better?

El Frosty

Smash Rookie
On this particular forum? your gunna see a bias for toon link pal.

Toon link seems to be overall better due to his speed, short stature (big characters tend to have larger hitboxes) and the fact that his boomerang can do damage on its return (although big links boomerang does actually help somewhat against hit and run players).

plus look at him, how can you not help smiling at his cute smiley face?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm just my thought. But Toon link seems easier to just pick up and play. Link is more difficult to learn, but his tech that are known now make for a fairly good character. Toon link can be easily played without and real advance techs and do great. Link might need to use some advance techs to deal with some of the faster characters.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
Your likely to get biased results lol... but ye I personally have tried both characters and Toon Link does surpass more qualitys than of the normal Link. He is fast and jumps higher which is great when you've been knocked off the stage and need to get backed in to edge hog etc, but overall if you tried both characters you'd likely see Toon Link has better qualities, but thats my opinion so meh.

Anoir

Smash Rookie
I would have to say Toon Link is better because he can actually recover.

That being said I actually prefer playing Link.

-Steed-

Smash Cadet
This thread deserves closing. WAY to much, link or toon link? stuff around here. In your ''question'' you state about toon link being weaker and faster etc, well then, look, and see which one YOU prefer for YOUR playstyle. We arent here to help you choose a main when we know nothing about you it's your own decision.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Well, both are them are good. Toon Link is weaker than Link but he's faster than the original Link. And Link is stronger than Toon Link but slower. What do you think? Which one is better?
speed always wins over power...im not going to be bias considering what forum were in but i honestly believe Toon is better: more speed, decent power, higher jumps, the list goes on...

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I'd have to say Toon Link is the better aerial fighter, while Link is better on the ground. If Link's recovery wasn't so horrible, he and Link would be near even, I think.

Sorry to change the subject here, but I am the only one who has difficulty fighting Link with Toon Link? =s

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Toon Links' smashes kill earlier, his tilts are faster, are generally actually useful, and can kill earlier then Link's most of the time. Toon Link is faster, his bombs cover more area, his boomerang is arguably better, he recovers from everything, and his dAir is spexy.

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
liek 0mgzzzzz thiz iz teh c00lezt thred i has evr 533N i liekz teh t00n L1NK cuz hez mad k00l nd str0ng cuz hez a C4R700N nd M4D fa57

u iz mad k00l dylan we shuld fight in teh brawlz 1tiemz

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It all depends on who is playing. Toon Link, yes, would have the advantage due to his speed and he does have a couple of strong attacks. I play as Toon Link beacuse of how he's equiped and his movement capabilities. I'm more of a speed character, not a slow character person.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
toon link is. he's faster, got a better and more controllable air game. more priority in the air. larger blast radius for his bombs. he can d-air at a faster speed to be more sure of a hit. and hes a heavy character who is floaty, but yet hes a fastfaller. and plus his taunts are awesome. i kill. play the windwaker and then say"i play the music to your death"

Waddle Dee Army

Smash Apprentice
It depends. On large flat levels that do not have edges, Link has a strong advantage.
On levels with textured terrain and edges, Toon Link.

I use both characters, but I suck with Link.

ScorchSwordsman

Smash Rookie
toon link is. he's faster, got a better and more controllable air game. more priority in the air. larger blast radius for his bombs. he can d-air at a faster speed to be more sure of a hit. and hes a heavy character who is floaty, but yet hes a fastfaller. and plus his taunts are awesome. i kill. play the windwaker and then say"i play the music to your death"
Wth? that doesn't sound right... Toon link is a feather... and is floaty..... and I'm not sure that he's actually a fast faller, I could be wrong on that point, however he's definately not heavy.

juki

Smash Cadet
Its just like Roy and Marth in melee.. Toon link being Marth and Link being Roy.

Nuff said

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Toon Link is basically a less powerful Link with speed and combo ability. This means that unlike Link, he can out camp most of the cast, and unlike Link, he can switch into a devastating offensive mode. After that, he can really put on the pressure off stage, which is another thing Link can't do. Link has better KO ability and better projectiles, but his lack of speed and cohesive offensive game, plus his bottom of the barrel, piss-poor recovery, bring him down.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
I think that if you can keep up close and personal and keep the pressure then toon link wins, however if you are a ranged fighter or seem to be choking in the close combat then use normal link, a few bombs or bows to get the damage up followed by a smash and your opponent is out of there!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I generally use Link the best because of my play style, and the advanced techs make Link a force to be reckoned with. With Toon Link, I don't feel as comfortable. I'm not used to his floatiness and his short reach. So I think it really depends on the player. Link and Toon Link are even. Basically it's an even match-up.
BTW, Toon Link can still have his recovery gimped by Link's gale guard and zair-edgeguard.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
It all depends on who is playing. Toon Link, yes, would have the advantage due to his speed and he does have a couple of strong attacks. I play as Toon Link beacuse of how he's equiped and his movement capabilities. I'm more of a speed character, not a slow character person.
I'm more of a technical character, as I do believe it takes more time to master Link than Toon Link. Toon Link is easier to pick up.

P.S. My friend is on vacation, so our match is postponed. I'll contact you as soon as he comes back.

M@v

Subarashii!
Is this a serious question? TL is almost better in every way. Moreso because poor link got the shaft in brawl, like Samus :(

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
really toon link isn't that much weaker than link. His combo capability is considerably better, his arrows are more useful, and his dair is a useable spike. TL is without a doubt, better than link

Puddin

Smash Lord
Sounds like a Ness vs. Lucas sort of argument, except Link and Toon Link have a more similar move set then Ness and Lucas. I can't really tell which is better, but I enjoy playing Toon Link instead of Link.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I had to guess, I would say that the Link forums would agree with us that Toon Link is far better.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I think toon link is better because he has about the same power as link while having a greater speed. Also, his shorthopped b air can be done twice before he lands, providing a great approach...

Top Bottom