• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which characters are going to be hard for Pit to beat?

Tujex

Smash Ace
From my experience...

Metaknights can be hard to fight in general. His owns the air just as much as Pit, so he's a tad bit hard to get the upper hand on.

If you allow a good Ike to put on the pressure, you'll get pwn'd. He dramatically overpowered and can easily own Pit, as well as anyone else, unless you keep him from gainin momentum.

I've also had a problem with good Ganon's. His SideB leads into a numerous amount of moves that have unbelievable knockback. His SideB is unblockable, and it leads into a jab, or Ftilt which both can KO at high damage. Even in aerial combat, you must avoid his Fair or be pummeled intot he side barrier.

A good ROB has given me problems as well, but I'e only fought one good ROB one time.

Everyone else is pretty much at Pit' mercy as far as I've seen. Pit is like this games Shiek. He has no true counterpicks, and he's easy to get good with. A mediocre player could score a few KO's against a pro with him. But in the hands of a skilled player, he's nearly unstoppable.

Clink

Smash Cadet
I found through some matches with skilled players that Meta Knight is not that difficult of a match for Pit. A main cause to that is the arrows and being able to dodge MK's specials pretty easily. I find that Wolf campers, of course who spam the gun, are a pain with edge guarding pit. Unless you pull off a Back edge drop, jump, foward-B. or the down B.

Ike is a tuffy as well. But timing Ike's moves with pit is what it's all about

So far the space creatures seem to be a challenge. More along the line of being accurate with the arrows and closing in with a good Tilt, forward smash, or Bair.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Samus' projectiles suck in Brawl. She's got nothing on Pit when it comes down to it. Here Zair on the other hand... Seriously Samus WOULD be Top Tier had her missiles remained amazing along with the new use for the Zair. I believe Jasona has recently put up a video on Youtube. Some of my matches I've posted on the Pit forums show it too. While it's not game breaking Samus' Zair is on par with Pit's arrows in term of annoyingness... and color. >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvSKPxBn9M SHUFFed Zairs. Keep in mind what this does to Pit's recovery in terms of jumps and even the Up-B if not handled correctly.

Clink

Smash Cadet
Samus' projectiles suck in Brawl. She's got nothing on Pit when it comes down to it. Here Zair on the other hand... Seriously Samus WOULD be Top Tier had her missiles remained amazing along with the new use for the Zair. I believe Jasona has recently put up a video on Youtube. Some of my matches I've posted on the Pit forums show it too. While it's not game breaking Samus' Zair is on par with Pit's arrows in term of annoyingness... and color. >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvSKPxBn9M SHUFFed Zairs. Keep in mind what this does to Pit's recovery in terms of jumps and even the Up-B if not handled correctly.

Thats a fair tuffy for pit acutally. I didn't think of that, let alone fight a skilled samus with pit just yet. it would be harmful to Pit's recovery big time, as you said. But if samus were to miss then there is that chance of a better recovery. Thus I shall try and test the today against a friend of mine.

I believe that if you are well familiar with Pit, then recovery with arrows is a great counter up untill a certain point. Just being able to time when that Zair comes out you can L-cancel it. I think it would be pretty simple to get around that if the samus player tries to spam it a lot. Seeing as Pit has more range with his arrows, that Zair may not be much of a problem. just get out of that range when she spams it.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure Pit has any really disadvantageous match-ups.

So far I think the characters that at least force him to spread his game evenly are Marth, Lucas/Ness and Lucario.

Marth is just hard for everyone, but he's particularly adept at forcing Pit onto the defensive. He doesn't have any great ways to gimp Pit's Up-B, but he's quick enough that it's hard to zone him consistently if the player is smart. Out-prioritizes Pit in the air in pretty much every direction.

Lucas/Ness tends to turn into hardcore mindgames. You can't camp him or he'll heal too much eating your arrows, and they're both very good at gimping the Up-B where other characters can't reach. Small hitboxes make them harder to pick off in the air and their ground game seems slightly stronger than Pit's. Vulnerable to arrow gimping off the stage though.

Lucario is somewhere in the middle. Pit has a somewhat predictable ground game and is pretty vulnerable to Double Team. His insane quick dodges make it hard to camp without giving him free Aura Sphere charge time. B-Air is a pain to land on Lucario because of his F-Air priority. Multiple reflects help against Aura Sphere KOs but can be hard to pull off as he won't throw many of them on the ground against Pit. Also good at gimping the Up-B, so you need to be proficient at gliding.

Tonyyyyyy

Smash Cadet
My roomate mains metaknight and I switch between pit, wolf and marth. When I am pit he does give me the most trouble, the only real way to defend vs MK is to build up damage with his AAA, arrows, over B and Fsmash. Once you get him up to the 110+ range. Dodging his attacks that have lag, such as his Fsmash, Over B, and Tornado, and then using a Dsmash or Fsmash is a great way to finish him off.

MK's attacks are faster than pits, which is why you need to space really well, use a LOT of arrows, and take full advantage when MK uses his attacks that lag afterwards. It is a tough fight, not impossible for sure.

When I use marth vs pit, it seems really easy to take advantage of the superior range that he has both in the air and on the ground. The speed of his dancing blade gives pit a hard time, and his counter is terrible for pit in close combat situations. Esp when pit uses attacks like over B that make him attack many times per.

OldSchool

Smash Apprentice
Pit is my main, and I play a more defensive play style. I find that my hardest match-ups are Meta-Knight, Wolf, and Lucas, in that order. These characters are hard to play against for pretty much the same reason, they out-prioritize Pit in some way.

Kotus

Smash Rookie
Thats a fair tuffy for pit acutally. I didn't think of that, let alone fight a skilled samus with pit just yet. it would be harmful to Pit's recovery big time, as you said. But if samus were to miss then there is that chance of a better recovery. Thus I shall try and test the today against a friend of mine.

I believe that if you are well familiar with Pit, then recovery with arrows is a great counter up untill a certain point. Just being able to time when that Zair comes out you can L-cancel it. I think it would be pretty simple to get around that if the samus player tries to spam it a lot. Seeing as Pit has more range with his arrows, that Zair may not be much of a problem. just get out of that range when she spams it.
WEll there's no L-canceling in Brawl. Samus's Zair autocancels. but yea arrows outrange it so on the gound it's not too big a threat. In the air, you can just dodge it....as you can against MK and marth.
I haven't really looked around for this to see if it's a legit tech, but if you jump and immediately dodge, with some characters(ie pit) the dodge can take you higher than your jump alone would have, so you can dodge and still be out of range for them to take advantage of the lag. With just that and general good dodging with pit and his ability to recover afterwards, there really isn't a counterpick based on edgeguarding.

I'm tellin ya people with high flinch resist and quick recovery (Lucas) dominate pit especially in ground combat. You can f-smash Lucas w/low damage and get both hits in and before you're even done with the second swing all he has to do is f-air you. It's disgusting.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Pit is my main, and I play a more defensive play style. I find that my hardest match-ups are Meta-Knight, Wolf, and Lucas, in that order. These characters are hard to play against for pretty much the same reason, they out-prioritize Pit in some way.
I thought Lucas/Ness would be that hard, but I can give you an advice. Let both attack first, PK-Fire can be mirrored or blocked. After that you should dodge to the left or right. PK Thunder can be interruped with arrows or just dodge/jump in the very last second. Boths Meteor Move (if you recovering at the edge or below) should be lured. And one last tip: If they try to neutralize your arrows, let's play some mindgames. Let them think you're will aim them and curve in the very last second your arrow in a another direction. Trust me, they'll lose a lot confidence with that because they down-b has some delay after the attack and it's the perfect time to dash forward with pit.

Lucas/Ness aren't hard as you think.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well that yellow rat gave me severe problems with its Thunder spam in 2v2 team battle. However, you mostly have the advantage against Pika if it's 1v1. To me, Pit isnt good in FFA matches or team battles unless used with care and caution.

Kotus

Smash Rookie
I thought Lucas/Ness would be that hard, but I can give you an advice. Let both attack first, PK-Fire can be mirrored or blocked. After that you should dodge to the left or right. PK Thunder can be interruped with arrows or just dodge/jump in the very last second. Boths Meteor Move (if you recovering at the edge or below) should be lured. And one last tip: If they try to neutralize your arrows, let's play some mindgames. Let them think you're will aim them and curve in the very last second your arrow in a another direction. Trust me, they'll lose a lot confidence with that because they down-b has some delay after the attack and it's the perfect time to dash forward with pit.

Lucas/Ness aren't hard as you think.
yes mind games w/arrows work, but lucas's down b is like a shine. There is a pretty good attack that comes with him releasing it. That's beside the purpose because Pit's dash attack out ranges the downB release (you can just cut him from the far side of it).

Lucas and Ness really aren't interchangable. Lucas has far less lag on most his moves, his PKthunder is better in 10,000 ways, his up and down smashes actually kill, etc...Rolling isn't a good idea against Lucas, whose RECOVERY is godly cuz he can take advantage of the lag. And if you get a lucas who starts to learn your patterns, he can up smash for the kill at 70+%.

I'm getting better and I almost always beat this tough Lucas I know, but really no other character (mmmm maybe Olimar) gives me as much to think about. Strictly speaking on char match-ups, I think Lucas has the greatest number of annoying advantages against Pit.

Tujex

Smash Ace
As of today, my hardest match-ups with Pit are Oli and Lucas. Everyone else is pretty simple if you play smart.

Ronin71

Smash Rookie
As of today, my hardest match-ups with Pit are Oli and Lucas. Everyone else is pretty simple if you play smart.
Lucas not so much for me but oli destroys my pit .. i can match just about any of my friends choices except oli. i only beat him once... gimped him all three kills. its olis grabs that get me and those pikmin. Anyone have advice

"I've been smashin samus snake and pit since the 8-bit"

infamousGK

Smash Apprentice
Anyone with multijumps will be hard for Pit. Jiggs is the hardest match up for Pit. I play against a good Jiggs and he approaches me with Fairs which cancels Pit's arrows and Jiggs can chase you off the side and gimp your up B as well as wall of paining you to death.

Marth's are kind of *** as well. Fair chasing off the edge is a pain. Get Pit's air dodge and spot dodge down pat and you will not have as much trouble with Marth's!

m0nkey1sme

Smash Rookie
I main pit and i find that i have trouble against Wolves and metaknights. wolf's speed makes it difficult to get hits in and his power is overwhelming. plus his reflector makes arrow mind games a bit hard. metaknight really overdoes pit in close combat, but i have seen spammer pits keep meta knights on edge with less skill required

allenktv

Smash Rookie
ive been having a real hard time fighting against MKs and also Lucas. Lucas' up smash is just insane. :(

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
The space animals + Toon Link are tough. The former have the power to knock Pit out so that he doesn't even have a chance to recover. Toon Link seems to be able to combo Pit well despite how much I try to DI, airdodge, and sidestep. His speed also makes it harder for Pit to hit with arrows (as opposed to Link, Olimar, ROB). Actually, a good Link is actually a pain in the *** for Pit as well.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ive been losing to a ROB and an Olimar lately...
Instead of being casual, I just become aggressive to beat the Olimar, with the help of edgehogging while he is recovering. So I ignore the Pikmin that latch on to me and just attack Olimar.
Now Rob was more recent and him pursuing me while im off the edge is just too much. I'll have to see what i can do to stop that robot.

I used to have major problems with Pika, but I've grown to beat him more often.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Ive been losing to a ROB and an Olimar lately...
Instead of being casual, I just become aggressive to beat the Olimar, with the help of edgehogging while he is recovering. So I ignore the Pikmin that latch on to me and just attack Olimar.
Now Rob was more recent and him pursuing me while im off the edge is just too much. I'll have to see what i can do to stop that robot.

I used to have major problems with Pika, but I've grown to beat him more often.
I'd try spamming Uair and Nair... my friend ***** me (I main rob) with those moves on a consistent basis. For recovering, try to DI away from his Fairs, and then jump back with Uairs, Nairs, and Fairs... those should all penetrate his Fair. If not, then just time it in between his Fairs. Going under the stage works well for shaking edgeguarers off as well.

DarkStrikeX

Smash Rookie
100% agreed.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Heh, for me it's MK. That's really it. >_< Freaking hate the little twerp.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I really dislike Lucas, but it is really because he has some range, and the U-smash is just rediculous. Now Kirby, he is tough, even noobish Kirby players give Pit a hard time, maybe because he is very small and hard to hit him with arrows.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
Marth - More Range, priority, and power. He's not entirely toned down from Melee... He's the Marth we know and hate. Shouldn't need to elaborate... I think the others have gotten it down better.

Metaknight - More speed, range, and priority... His aerials outrange and outspeed yours most of the time, keeping you from going headon (apply directly to the forehead). Also, the mach tornado is a *****. Seriously. My friend uses it against me at the perfect time and it destroys my air game. I can't hit him from above it with a d-air or reflect it when he comes at me from 45 degrees, nor can I outprioritize it with an aerial. It's exceedingly spammable, and he gets away before I can retaliate 90% of the time. Once he gets the damage up, a downsmash or up-b from shield is sufficient to kill.

ROB has given me trouble, but I'm not sure he's a really tough match... His airs have great range and make it hard to approach him in air. ROB laser is evil. Good power on his moves too.

Snake is a tough coustomer, but I wouldn't call him a Pit counterpick. Pit's speed balances it IMO, even with Snake's deceptive range and weight, as well as overall knockback. Snake seems easy to juggle. Once you get him in the air, he's in trouble.

Ike is strong, but I haven't had too much trouble with him. Once you learn his moves and capabilities it's relatively easy to get around. Maybe I haven't played a good enough Ike, but I think I have a reasonable grasp on it.

Zelda has given me a surprising amount of crap... Din's Fire is spamable... fair and bair are harsh on your air game... Dsmash is quick and powerful. I get KOed by that a lot too. Probably not worth the list here, but eh...

I haven't played too many of the other supposed tough matches/high tiers like G&W, Olimar, or even Kirby, which is supposed to be tough on Pit.

I'd rank the people I listed as Metaknight, Marth, then Snake.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I've yet to lose to a Marth undr any circumstances. They just seem to fall into everything I do.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I tend to get smacked around by fair a lot... Probably the biggest problem. And tips are just soooo deadly against a lightweight like Pit.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
ZSS seems pretty annoying to me, as I fear getting spiked. ICs are even worse, with their somewhat broken Chaingrabbing (Sorry Sir Lucario, but "Let me go!").
BTW Pit is a middleweight, it even says it in the guide.
Also Kiby for various reasons.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Don't forget about Falco! REALLY high jumps
Even if the spike is powered down it's still a spike.
Don't forget his sweetspotted dair spike. And that brings me to my next point. The Falco match-up. I find this very difficult. He has a good projectile AND a good spike, which nerfs WoI. His air game can counter glide recovery. Reflector nullifies arrows, at least from the front. I don't think I have ever beaten a good Falco as Pit yet.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ugghh. MK is the only character I have disadvantages with both my characters...Olimar+Pit. Everything else is covered well.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
ZSS seems pretty annoying to me, as I fear getting spiked. ICs are even worse, with their somewhat broken Chaingrabbing (Sorry Sir Lucario, but "Let me go!").
BTW Pit is a middleweight, it even says it in the guide.
Also Kiby for various reasons.
ZSS should'nt be that big problem. Be just aware that she can't catch you diagonal in the air. It helped me a lot.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
ZSS should'nt be that big problem. Be just aware that she can't catch you diagonal in the air. It helped me a lot.
I dont do completely well against speed chars, and i hate her Spikes, range, and well... Speed.
Now Im adding snake and Olimar to my problems. Even some yoshis are trouble.

Top Bottom