• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which characters are going to be hard for Pit to beat?

WKx7x

Smash Cadet
Pit is a powerful and unique character. I can already tell I'm gonna have fun using him :chuckle:. My question is, which characters are supposed to be good against Pit? And which strategies do you recommend for dealing with these guys?

Thanks,
WKx7x

InSaNiTy

Smash Cadet
I assume characters with a good anti-aerial game are going to be a pain for pit, i think his hard matchups will mirror kirby's.

chris199236

Smash Rookie
i think someone like Meta Knight or someone else that can match his speed would be his hardest

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Metaknight? Really? I have a hard time seeing that so long as people decide to actually study Pit's recovery. Against Metaknight you just need to recover as high as you can. Which for Pit should be easy. If you can avoid having your Up-B taken away by Metaknight, Pit's recovery nerfs Metaknight's biggest strength. Edgeguarding.

I'm thinking characters that have both long reach and powerful knock-back will prove difficult for Pit. Marth and Ike come to mind.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
i think that: Pit could counter pit, Metaknight, and Ike (who could hit him out of the top becase pits recovery doesn't matter then.

pitfall

Smash Cadet
marth is a hard math up for pit so is deedeedee they all have higher priority and greater rang and yes also metaknight is a hard match up cuz he has alot of speed and beats pit in the air with his air gam especially is u air

otter

Smash Ace
Pit's game is going to depent heavily on "hit and run" techniques, especially with arrows. Hes gonna have trouble with characters who can avoid projectiles easily and chase him down;

Furries.
Plus they all have reflectors.

Characters who can play the same game as him (Diddy, MK, ect...) will come down to the better player until the tiers become more visable.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
i would think marth would be hard match up and any characters with good recoveries. marth's higher priority and long range is definitely a problem, but probably could be remedy with apporaching with arrows and good edge garuding. however, characters with good edgeguardering will be a problem like metaknight

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I hope Pit isnt weak against Marth, or history will repeat itself for me. That was when Marth kept on beating my Bowser in melee, that overpowered, overplayed character :mad:

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
Tehehe

Marth vs Pit is going to be just about even. Pit does have the arrows and Shelid and speed. But marth just seems to ****. IDK but i know that Pit and Marth aginst each other is just going to be a good match.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Everyone seems to think marth is a big counter for pit, but I think most people using pit (no offense) are mostly people who couldn't find someone they were exceptionally good with while marth seemed to have a big fan base in the melee world.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Everyone seems to think marth is a big counter for pit, but I think most people using pit (no offense) are mostly people who couldn't find someone they were exceptionally good with while marth seemed to have a big fan base in the melee world.

That's nonsense, sorry. I play Pit for that reason of his individual style and not because I was not good enough with other characters. And the real reason for Pit is, like IGN quoted: The most sobbed Nintendo Character for the last 15-18 years.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Or someone's a fan of Kid Icarus? I dunno. People were alive before 1994.

On topic: Marth's range is a big problem, but Pit can be very campy, a problem for Marth. I think Marth has the advantage with his heavy hits. A tipper is death.
Dedede shouldn't be more of a problem than anyone else. True, his Waddle Dees can block arrows, but he's easy to keep off balance. I'd say it's even or in Pit's favor.

I've had some trouble with Zelda, but that's probably because the player was better.
I think once people get a handle on Captain Falcon, he'll be a problem for Pit. Quick and heavy hits.

Gindler

Smash Champion

On topic: Marth's range is a big problem, but Pit can be very campy, a problem for Marth. I think Marth has the advantage with his heavy hits. A tipper is death.
Dedede shouldn't be more of a problem than anyone else. True, his Waddle Dees can block arrows, but he's easy to keep off balance. I'd say it's even or in Pit's favor.

I've had some trouble with Zelda, but that's probably because the player was better.
I think once people get a handle on Captain Falcon, he'll be a problem for Pit. Quick and heavy hits.
Yeah, sorry for my last post. Pit is now my secondary and I can see why people like him, he has a unique fighting style (i love those over straight forward fighting) somewhat fast, that angel ring thing is beastly

Levitas

the moon
Ike will show no mercy to pit
I hope you're kidding. My first game using pit was against an Ike main that'd been playing Ike for like 20 hours straight, and I three stocked him.

Maybe the pit you know was doing it wrong. It's simple to win with pit. step 1: run away. step 2. do a bunch of arrows as fast as possible. step 3: when they rush you, downsmash them, and run away as they're being knocked away. step 4: repeat steps 2-4 until your opponent laments about pit being the new falco.

That said, I'm wondering if spacies are gonna be pit's biggest threat. they've got the fast reflectors, they've got a better game up close (Although I don't know anything about close combat w/ pit, lol), they're fast, and they've got earlier KOs.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I think people personally are underestimated Ike...So hes slow...big deal...he packs range and more power ( i think) than both bowser and ganondorf...range AND power...which is huge. Ikes forward B is a GREAT attack...his aerials are pretty decent and his recovery is unique in the way that he can both sweet spot the ledge AND go through solid surfaces due to the fact that he reappears where his blade lands no matter what. I think that Pit is one of the biggest noob characters in the game...along with Meta....they have what other characters lack...good combos. Anyone can be good with a character who has an INSANE recover with fast no lag attacks (meta) or just learn to use an arrow to distance themselves from opponents. I was a Marth main in melee and plan to stay that way making pokemon trainer my secondary...I think Meta knight will be my third choice but im not going to main nooby characters...it doesnt take much skill to win with uber noob characters.

Ivoryshadows

Smash Cadet
Here is a match up for you.Zelda would definitely be a problem against Pit. She has range, power and most of her attacks are high priority.

And I have to agree with Ganondorf being able to able to beat him easily. THough I did see a few fights were Ganondorf lost against him greatly.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
It depends on both players skills. I have still problems versus Lucas or the Ice Climbers but I can manage it against Zelda or Meta Knight for example.

ThePlantiff

Smash Cadet
I am having a bit of the hard time with a CPU 9 Meta-Knight and my brother, but the win-lose ratio is about 50-50. So he shouldn't be a big problem. Ike is hard to gimp since he recovers mostly downwards and he outranges you in close combat, and arrow spamming will cause him to roll towards you, limiting your spacing. Of course that's what happens to me.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I am not joking about this. A strong DK is an extremely tough fight for Pit. Its difficult for Pit to win without spamming arrows and side b. Even then its tough. I've beaten every single Pit I've played against with DK. Also, if you see Yeti DK online, and he's chasing your Pit, its probably me.

Unexplanetory

Smash Cadet
The only one I've found difficult VS Pit in my experience has been Lucas. Absorbing arrows puts you on the offensive, then Lucas has a very good ground game with his forward smash being particular destructive. His throw has little lag time for a ranged throw, and his up smash can devastate your air game if your not careful.

Anyone else having trouble with good Lucas players?

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I play as Game&Watch, I find his arrows to be a tasty treat for my Oil can attack. Lol, plus I counter his flight pretty well with my chute. I can also fast fall him pretty well.

I just hate his smash b special.

I also play as Ice Climbers, but I'm still working on a Pit strat, Pit's the hardest fight I have in general.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
The hard fights tend to come in three differant categories: Casual, Semi-Comp, and Comp.

In Cas fights, I only come across great challanges when I have an Ike, Marth, and Kirby all teamed up against me (which, believe it or not, actually happens quite often). I play with a few close friends and they seem to think it funny to have Kirby copy and then fire arrows at me, while Marth just counter-spam covers Ike while he closes in for a long-range A move. But I still win most of the time :p They are true scrubs, I must admit.

As far as semi-comp goes, I only have occasional challanges against a few Ikes that actually can play decently. MK are unheard of because nobody knows how to play them and Marth's arent used because everyone says that he's "cheap" and his counter is actually banned, for some stupid reason.

For comp, that's where things get interesting. An evenly matched Pit player is freakishly hard to beat, it all came down to who had better aerial control. The only other challanges come from the Ikes that know how to dash-charge to throw off my timing, and the MK players that make liberal use of his specials to catch me unawares =/

All in all, Meta-knight seems to be the most challange, if the player knows how to play mind-games effectively. Otherwise, a very few Ikes will pose problems.

Kotus

Smash Rookie
The only one I've found difficult VS Pit in my experience has been Lucas. Absorbing arrows puts you on the offensive, then Lucas has a very good ground game with his forward smash being particular destructive. His throw has little lag time for a ranged throw, and his up smash can devastate your air game if your not careful.

Anyone else having trouble with good Lucas players?
I totally agree.
I decided not to pick a main until I was decent with everyone, but I kinda thought all along it'd have to be Pit...but I'm realizing that Lucas might be the best character in the game. So I can beat my roommate (Lucas) most of the time with a big handful of characters, but Pit is not among them.

Pit has all these high damage scoring combo moves but his good finishing blows are really hard to land. His shorthop is too high for his f-air or b-air to work on short people like Lucas w/o getting sheildgrabbed and his d-air just begs for a shield grabbing against any player. On top of that his smashes are really laggy and don't have enough range/pushback to make up for it. I usually get all my kills with combos->u-airs...

Another tough matchup is Olimar. all of Olimars aerials out range and out prioritize pits d-air, u-air, and n-air. the b-air and f-air have too narrow a vertical range to hit an airdodging Olimar who can then double jump->f-air you or stick you with his up B.

Metaknight and Ike havn't given me that big of problems, but nobody I know plays them yet and maybe lvl 9's just don't count to you guys. Anyway I think Pit will only have troube against characters that have quick ground game and low shorthops->aerials....which is alot of characters...

Really the safest way to play pit is arrow spam and angle ring rush but that's called camping and it's nubby and boring.

I'll keep trying but I don't know if Pit is really cut out for upper tiers.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I've played my share of online games and my Pit can beat everyone consistently except metaknight. He really is Pit's counterpick. This thread is about how to get around the advantages that a counterpick like metaknight would have.
Anyone got any ideas?!?!?

Eneru

Smash Rookie
Anyone ever tried Wolf vs Pit. Wolfs fsmash has **** range, and i sorta think he can match pit. What do you guys think?

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
Pit is a really hard character to kill. If i get knocked off by say a marth, its pretty easy to get back on by shooting an arrow or two and air dodging. characters that can chase after you like kirby and MK might ne the biggest threats.... oh and G&W, he's a pimp

Zeela12

Smash Ace
lol MK? no way. MKs are easy, they have no killing moves, since Pit has such a great recovery, it's a pain for them to kill Pit. It's more like pit WOP them instead with much stronger moves than they have.

worst Pit enemy IMO is Lucario, or Marth. They have higher prioities, and also kills easily. Especially lucario, who gets stronger as the dmg racks up. Since Pit is a pro at racking up damage, Lucario becomes very dangerous with fighting with Pit.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I play against a pretty skilled Samus on a regular basis. I have a favorable track record against him with my Pit, however I've been hearing that Samus tends to give hard time. Can people give me their input on this match-up?

Grump

Smash Apprentice
lol MK? no way. MKs are easy, they have no killing moves, since Pit has such a great recovery, it's a pain for them to kill Pit. It's more like pit WOP them instead with much stronger moves than they have.

worst Pit enemy IMO is Lucario, or Marth. They have higher prioities, and also kills easily. Especially lucario, who gets stronger as the dmg racks up. Since Pit is a pro at racking up damage, Lucario becomes very dangerous with fighting with Pit.
MK is pretty easy to combat until you reach the upper-range of players. It's all mind-games with him, knowing when to downb, when to halo-dash, and how to react with the MK's downB. MK also tends to have extremely small mid-lag with some of his basic combos, which can sometimes cancel Pit's combo, etc. And he does have a few killing moves, just unorthodox ones. And they both have pretty decent air-control, which nullifies one of Pit's main strengths.

I play against a pretty skilled Samus on a regular basis. I have a favorable track record against him with my Pit, however I've been hearing that Samus tends to give hard time. Can people give me their input on this match-up?
It depends on which Samus your talking about. RSamus will probably mainly depend on her projectiles, depending on the player, in which case you need to make frivolous use of the downB. Not Dash B, because of diminishing returns, but yeah. Her attacks are somewhat powerful considering her probably tier-list (if you believe in such things), but they are relatively weak considering her general speed and mobility, so you'll want hit&run tactics here.

With ZS, you need to watch out for her **** range! I mean sure, we all want chicks in latex carrying whips, but that whip hurts considering its speed and reach! If you have to charge, use the double-stop weave to mess with her timing and then maybe, just in case, do a small jump just high enough to dodge her side-smash. Then which attack you use is completely up to you.

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
I think people are overestimating their skills because they won a few "With Anyone" matches. Sorry, that can't be considered skill at all.

That's nonsense, sorry. I play Pit for that reason of his individual style and not because I was not good enough with other characters. And the real reason for Pit is, like IGN quoted: The most sobbed Nintendo Character for the last 15-18 years.
THESE.

Top Bottom