• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Player -0

Smash Hero
Logic could've charged the Up-B and wait until Dair's hitbox was gone and used them jetpax. Also he might've been able to go straight up and then drifted onto the ledge. MAYBE pro SDI could've dodged the dair by teching the stage when hit by the bomb..

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, I'm a newer member to the Smash forums and I have a question about this character in particular...

How do I deal with spam? I know this is a stupid question, but I'm having a hard time. I know the tech, I know of spacing and powershielding, wavelanding, etc... but my brother, who is completely new to P:M, still consistently beats me with Tink (which is literally the only character he plays in PM and Brawl). He shoots arrows and mostly tosses the boomerang straight (rarely any bombs), but when I approach from above he just F-smashes me away and we repeat the cycle. I also keep getting damaged whenever I try to powershield, so until I get better at that (which I am working on) it's a rather sub-par suggestion. When he's in the air, Uair and Dair are his only moves, and he doesn't even KNOW about L-Cancelling.

It's demoralizing, it's basically telling him "tech is useless", and I'm getting much more frustrated than I should be.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hello everyone, I'm a newer member to the Smash forums and I have a question about this character in particular...

How do I deal with spam? I know this is a stupid question, but I'm having a hard time. I know the tech, I know of spacing and powershielding, wavelanding, etc... but my brother, who is completely new to P:M, still consistently beats me with Tink (which is literally the only character he plays in PM and Brawl). He shoots arrows and mostly tosses the boomerang straight (rarely any bombs), but when I approach from above he just F-smashes me away and we repeat the cycle. I also keep getting damaged whenever I try to powershield, so until I get better at that (which I am working on) it's a rather sub-par suggestion. When he's in the air, Uair and Dair are his only moves, and he doesn't even KNOW about L-Cancelling.

It's demoralizing, it's basically telling him "tech is useless", and I'm getting much more frustrated than I should be.
What character do you play? To be honest you don't have to do anything fancy to beat newer players. Stand directly below him when you hit him up, roll or wavedash from the Dair and free whatever. For approaching try walking slowly up to him, whenever he throws a projectile nair through it or jump. Videos would be cool too.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace

Have you tried pressing the block button

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice

If you're flairs are for true and you play DK....you're going to have to play a lot more carefully. I def wouldn't be approaching from above for any character really. You might you do better if you stop directly approaching altogether, wait for his projectiles and just move around them. If he can't L cancel you should def be taking advantage of that esp when he's d-airing or u-airing. Just slow down, and really think about when you should be going in and when you shouldn't be.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Fricken awesome.
- Super awesome poke, can bait out grabs if you space it well enough.
- Pretty safe, can use it out of an airdodge.
- Can fall through platforms with it. Does that make it the only hitbox you can have out while falling through a platform?

Overall super epix.

Also I was messing with bomb punts for TLink for the lolz. I forgot what I did with them but it was interesting. I do remember you can slide the bombs if you hit near the end when they're on the ground. Slowly approaching Sonic.... dun dunnn *Jaws*

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Last edited:

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
D

Deleted member

His MK did a lot better, the one game he went tink on stream he played like super ass

Jolteon

How well did your MK fair compare to TL? also I secretly watched the critique :3
What Zach said basically. I think in general my MK's better in some match-ups and my TL in others, though atm my TL is rusty and sucks. >_>; I practiced nothing but MK for months to prepare for BH4, eventually I think my MK will just be better vs everyone since I don't plan to change that.

Last edited:

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
What Zach said basically. I think in general my MK's better in some match-ups and my TL in others, though atm my TL is rusty and sucks. >_>; I practiced nothing but MK for months to prepare for BH4, eventually I think my MK will just be better vs everyone since I don't plan to change that.
are you quitting tlink til 3.5? :c

Last edited:

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Quick question: Say I'm on the ledge and my opponent is recovering from off the stage either horizontal from me or diagonal from me. If it's a recovery like Mario's that goes 45 degrees or a fox that is recovering like that what is the best aerial or overall option to prevent them from getting to the stage and to finish the kill? I would assume drop off bair is the best option but every time I try it, I will trade with them and it leads to an unfavorable situation especially if they don't die. I was just looking for some input as to what you guys think.

Jolteon

are you quitting tlink til 3.5? :c
Well, I haven't "quit" him, buuut I don't really main him anymore.

Quick question: Say I'm on the ledge and my opponent is recovering from off the stage either horizontal from me or diagonal from me. If it's a recovery like Mario's that goes 45 degrees or a fox that is recovering like that what is the best aerial or overall option to prevent them from getting to the stage and to finish the kill? I would assume drop off bair is the best option but every time I try it, I will trade with them and it leads to an unfavorable situation especially if they don't die. I was just looking for some input as to what you guys think.
Try timing your ledge invincibility so that you can do an invincible ledge hop nair to knock them back off stage. It's particularly useful at lower percents where it won't put your opponent into their tumble animation, which means they can't ledge tech it. You can just WD back on to the edge and repeat the same thing again, or go for a low nair/fair when they're too far away and forced to recover in a linear manner.

Last edited:

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Try timing your ledge invincibility so that you can do an invincible ledge hop nair to knock them back off stage. It's particularly useful at lower percents where it won't put your opponent into their tumble animation, which means they can't ledge tech it. You can just WD back on to the edge and repeat the same thing again, or go for a low nair/fair when they're too far away and forced to recover in a linear manner.
Awesome. I have two more quick questions if you wouldn't mind. Does TLink have an invincible ledge dash, or at least a usable one like Falcon in Melee? And when I AGT what do I want to be moving towards? Towards the opponent? Away from the opponent for spacing reasons? Towards the ground as thought I was wavedashing? Or is it completely situational?

Jolteon

Awesome. I have two more quick questions if you wouldn't mind. Does TLink have an invincible ledge dash, or at least a usable one like Falcon in Melee? And when I AGT what do I want to be moving towards? Towards the opponent? Away from the opponent for spacing reasons? Towards the ground as thought I was wavedashing? Or is it completely situational?
TL's invincible ledge dash is very good. It's like Fox's where you have tons of options from it and you can also do running nair to get to center stage with little risk.

Also, that depends on the situation really. AGT up+towards stage is great for recovering, AGT up for platform camping, but his other inputs can be used to avoid stuff.

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
Idk if this should be a seperate thread or not but does anyone know what moves are the safest on sheild, I usally do nair-jab-up-B for sheild pressure but idk if there's a better option

1FD

Smash Ace
Like Marth style hit in front then behind, but each hit is more akin to the sex-kick style KB rather than double-hitting.
Basically a Shiek Fair that has disjoint and hits behind, really fast and fairly hard, could be faster than Bair but in front sword attack, so quick jablike hard hit. Low lag probs too

tc1

Smash Lord
I have alot of footage of my toon link online but most of them are toonlink/mario not all toonlink. I always end up switching either or.. The only one I think I have of all pure toonlink is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLkLgv5dAo (I was dash attacking alot this game because sear couldn't adjust to me dash attacking vs his dance dancing)

and a few older ones.

I have a bunch of matches online tho, I'll have more when VGbootcamp uploads a few more.

Critique me please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbm8lm66Y-U

blam

Smash Rookie
what do you guys think of the changes? I don't really know what to think.

-at this point i don't like new nair nearly as much as the old one, seems like the same knockback just harder to hit, i can't tell
-nerfed bombs, only upside i can see is that air glide tossing up into up b is a lot easier
-tether nerf hurts
-nerfed(?) up b on the ground, the charge thing is cool but not very practical i don't think
-up smash change seems to kill at the same % but is easier to combo with i guess

to me it seems like tlink is worse overall but idk

Last edited:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Im on the same boat I don't really know how to feel about the nair change. But it's part of adapting so I'm willing to be open minded about and tweak how I play him.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
I never really played Brawl, so I can't really make proper judgement on the new nair, but my kneejerk reaction is that I like the old one more.
I definitely noticed the bomb change, sucks, but at least I can AGT consistently now :yeahboi:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
What makes him better hmm? Oh AGTing is easier. other than that i don't see where they gave him appropriate buffs

Last edited:

jin928

Smash Rookie
Seriously though Tlink is probably better now just because other characters have been nerfed that gave him a hard time such as Mario

B.W.

Smash Champion
Playing him a little more, he's really good still, but he's not the same character. Anyone who's mained him before this point will have a bit of relearning to do.

The new N-Air is crap though, I'll pretty much never use it outside edgeguarding.

Jolteon

New nair is really good imho. Try labbing with it some more, it basically feels like the old nair and more to me, just requires more precision.

Top Bottom