• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Spralwers

Smash Ace
For the Link MU, get close whenever you can. Tink wrecks Link up close. but for the far away game, keep bombs handy, nairs are good for canceling out rang and pressuring Link to approach, and while your rang comes out slower, it does control space for longer and you have greater momentum with it.

Edit: I would say Tink outclasses Link in horizontal kill power (dsmash, fsmash, and aerial up B), CC game (CC dsmash > any of Link's options in CC wars) and general speed. If either character gets a grab on each other, there's gonna be heavy punishing. I play against good Links pretty frequently so I can comment on this MU more later.

Last edited:

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
Lunchables this question goes to you, for example with Sheik vs opponent (fast faller) the games starts off with Sheik weaving out and baiting laggy moves from the opponent to get a Grab (or deal damage with dsmash and fair) build to 25-30% sheik can do dash attack and either knock down a cc fox/falco and pop them up for tilts that work now to fair to knock off stage. Then follow up with bair, fair. and nair accordingly to edge guard. How does TL work? I feel like camping is the wrong word especially when Lunchables plays because he is aggressive with his projectiles and comes to attack when he makes an opening.

Here are two videos of me playing Ice a link player here in AZ and Axe, against his Pikachu: after watching them I noticed I put myself in bad places and Daired A LOT haha There are quite a few bad habits I see that needs to be ironed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDQ2k-36Xc&list=UUh4KJOemR5sg5-NxWZw76QA Tlink vs Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Eyq1aU2SQ&list=UUh4KJOemR5sg5-NxWZw76QA Tlink vs Pikachu (Axe)

PM is also very different from melee as far as the physics goes. Are there any changes that I should know that put me to an advantage?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Not from Lunchables, but I want to see his answer too.

T.Link works by adapting. He's insanely versatile, able to switch between running away and throwing stuff, and playing wildly aggressive with his great normals, using his projectiles to make openings.

I didn't watch the videos because I can't right now, but if you don't do it already you need to RAR.

Also if you don't know how to AGT (again I don't know because of being unable to watch right now) you need to grind that out until you never mess it up.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
PM is also very different from melee as far as the physics goes. Are there any changes that I should know that put me to an advantage?
B-reversing, wavebouncing are suuuuuuuuuper important for Toon Link- probably the best way to get his boomerang and arrow out there.

You need to be able to consistently Aerial Glide Toss

It's a big deal that you can throw bombs OOS. It's also much faster to cancel a dash with a 1-frame shield and then toss a bomb, than it is to do the running toss.

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
Watch my last match vs Axe, there is some crazy AGT in there haha. Another thing to note is that TL is very slippery so much that he can just run toward the ledge and turn around grab.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
generic tech question, but when you guys ledge-dash do you press down ->jump -> waveland on stage or left -> jump -> waveland

jtm94

Smash Lord
generic tech question, but when you guys ledge-dash do you press down ->jump -> waveland on stage or left -> jump -> waveland
Down on c-stick, jump, waveland.

My Tink has been getting better.
Can Tink land Dthrow into dair on most of the cast at KO %s? It feels much harder than with Link. I can always just use UpB, but dair feels like more disrespect. Also I really enjoy down throw into fire spike, I just can't land the sword part because it seems like they escape hit stun too soon.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Look out for being able to D-Throw > F-Smash. It's easier on some characters, and I think it's stronger/hits at a better angle than Up-B.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
You can only connect to the ledge 3 times in the same air time. So you could of been past that.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Tether doesn't work if you're too far from or past the ledge. Otherwise, you might be cancelling your tether accidentally.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Curious as to input on the Tink/Sheik matchup. My brother has been thwarted at our local biweeklies by Drephen consistently, and though we know he's a skilled player, we're wondering if there's something in the matchup he just isn't take advantage of.

Attempt 1
Attempt 2

D

Deleted member

Sheik v Toonlink
Needles beat bombs AND boomerang, so in neutral you're going to have to be a bit less braindead with projectiles (Use platforms to try and bait needles. Also remember, you have the heros shield!) If you land a bomb, you get a free upsmash and you should get a TON of % from that. Sheik has nearly 0 options when she is being juggled, up air covers everything. Sheik is also simple enough to gimp, just get a good nair offstage, dsmash her without her jump, etc. While recovering, sheik is one of the few characters who can ACTUALLY gimp you, so you'll have to mix it up so you don't get needle'd or bair'd or w/e.

I don't have much video evidence of me vs sheik players (if any actually), but I play with bwett a lot and he's starting to get pretty good.

Oh and btw, I kind of feel like an ass responding to your sheik/tink help because other people ask for mu help and I get lazy and never reply. Sorry to those I've never replied to :(

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Put Sheik in the air or off-stage and run flowchart punish games (juggling>anything Sheik does in he air, stalk her with grounded movement and shark uairs since her aerial mobiliy is poor and she sucks at hitting people below her), convert juggles to edge guards by nairing/fairing her off-stage. Run edge-guard loops when she's off-stage by grabbing the edge and using regular edge getup to punish her up+b land lag (bthrow is incredible, reverse nair/turnaround d-smash also work). You can also CG Sheik at mid percents before converting that to a juggle.

Neutral is pretty basic. Avoid needles/bait her into wasting them, corner her and either bomb hitconfirm into usmash/fair -> grab or space fairs and hitconfirm off of that. Nair is really strong when she's in the air. Avoid committing unsafely because it really sucks when Sheik grabs you.

edit: Haven't updated this thread in a while, will go back and add videos to the OP that I have missed.

Last edited:

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
@Lunchables I just realized your 15 o.0 I'm 14 what's with all these young people playing tink. But w/e do you have any knowledge on the charzaird match up his nair is the size of our upsmash and I didnt even have time to get a bomb out... Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member

I'm actually not 15, I'm 14 as well.

Why be in charizard nair range when you can be on the other side of the stage throwing projectiles? You shouldn't be in his face and pulling bombs.

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
I don't pull bombs in his face, usally when I'm getting comboed(I think thats a word) I just brevesre an arrow out but I can't do that. Yet alone pull bomb thats the first charzaird that ive played so I should get some practice @Lunchables

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
when are u moving to NC lunchables?

Also opinions on stages to ban vs Diddy? I was thinking FD, SV, GHZ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was supposed to move before school started, but tbh I don't even know anymore. The reason I was going to move was because my parents job, and jobs are inconsistent

I don't know if I'll move anymore >_______> (Which is stupid because I was told "You're GUARANTEED to move")

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Hiya Tink players, I've really been soul searching for my PM main, and I've been having a bit of fun with Tink recently against bots.
What can you guys tell me about his general playstyle? Camp seems to be the first thing that comes to mind for me, but I can also see possibilities of being aggressive with the arrows and boomerang -- it's what I found myself doing at least.

Frost | Odds

Playstyle varies pretty dramatically depending on matchup. Pretty loosely, he tends to use projectiles to force opponents into making unsafe choices, and punishes those choices with wacky juggles. "Camping" isn't quite accurate, as you can't really hide behind a wall of projectiles/disjointed hitboxes in the same way Link or Ivysaur can. Tink's projectiles are much more like Falco's laser- hitconfirms/zoning to disrupt what the opponent is doing and set up for your sick punish game.

Last edited:

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
yeah no clue why you would need b-sticking. Whatever convenience you might gain out of it would probably be overshadowed by the AGT handicap it would probably apply. Plus then you have to make sure your specific controller scheme is set up on the machine your're on. Seems like a nuisance

Frost | Odds

No, you can do it without. Just takes some practice. Regardless, wavebouncing isn't nearly as important as B-reverse, which is significantly easier to do, especially if you're not a Melee (esp. Falco/sheik) player.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
I'm far more comfortable without, so I'll switch back, but I seemed to be AGTing fine just by throwing with A

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

It's entirely possible to agt and throw in the same direction with a, but it is basically impossible to AGT one way and throw another without the c-stick.

D

Deleted member

Toonlink isn't a camp only character like link, he works great off of hit confirms. If you have great movement (which you should as a tink main), you'll be throwing bombs and controlling the stage with your mobility, the instant you LAND a bomb you can always get 80% or a kill if you're that godlike. The character is insane, just very few people have good enough punish games with him so they think camping > going in. I find that newer players always think he camps because their punish and neutral games are undeveloped, so they don't know how to abuse his ******** hitconfirms.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Alright, thanks guys. Tink seems like a really fun character, sucks that not that many people play him. I'll definitely keep messing around with him.

Top Bottom