• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
How on earth would you ever hit the grabbox in the middle of the chain? Unless they landed from the air in the middle of your chain during the few frames the grabbox is out?

And thanks for your explanation, also I think this is playing a factor in my missed predictions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qCJ_Ikbho

It tends to be at higher percents where I miss the grab and it looks like because of the tumble + stage hit animation

D

Deleted member

nice gif you got there, maybe you could update this thread with some of my stuff?
Here are the videos from this weekend, I won PM Singles and Doubles (With @Dakpo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCNn2rOWxOI vs. Rai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRoeVzMSHc0 vs. AeroLink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCkMcDX3hk vs. Sethlon (Winners)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07C2m3j5vo vs. Denti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxnSDJr0aEw vs. Sethlon (Grand Finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgXTfc1dC90 Doubles w/ Dakpo vs. Sethlon & Denti
:D when you're available jolt, add these to my list
also can you remove the UTDZac vid? It's kind of trash and outdated

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbEfOPfDk0 me vs. awestin as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
yeah my bad I forgot, I'll do that now.

edit: Also, in future it'd help if you added what characters they used. :p

Last edited:

PirateDerp

Smash Rookie
Disclaimer: I barely even play Toon Link, and never really browse the Toon Link forums either.

Anyways, I had a silly little idea, and wondered what you guys think about it. (Assuming it hasn't been discussed before).

So since Link and Toon Link at this point in time barely share anything in common, and most people seem to be under the idea that Toon Links Arrows and Boomerang could use some work (compared say to Links). Let's say instead of having Arrows and Boomerang they were replaced with the Slingshot, and Pegasus Boots.

I chose the Slingshot and Pegasus boots to keep more of the cartoonish Toon Link personality as they would made sense.

Now for the details. Slingshot would replace the bow. I imagine slingshot could work, as a projectile you don't charge up that shoots in a straight line that you could angle and moves at a decent speed. Just tapping B would make him shoot a shot straight infront of him. I think having the ability to angle them is to make up for the fact that Pegasus Boots will replace Boomerang and being able to angle the shot makes it so you can still have the ability to hit someone diagonally.

As for the Pegasus Boots, Toon Link is a rather mobile and fairly aggressive character. My idea is that it would replace his Boomerang and it would work as follows; Toon Link raise his shield, and hides behind it, (his shield would block projectiles that his shield normally blocks while he is in a neutral state) and hold his Sword straight out horizontally and then charge straight forward very quickly while having his sword being a constant hitbox that doesn't do much damage or knock back as it's mostly an approach tool. And to make the move better have Toon Link be able to jump out of it, so that he can do aerials, wavedash, maybe jump cancel grabs like Ike. Perhaps have the Pegasus Boots have a small start up time if they seem too strong.

That's basically the gist of it, remove his slow projectiles for faster ones and better quicker approach options. Don't be afraid to call my idea stupid, I'm not sensitive, just a bored someone with an idea.

Shrug

Smash Cadet
Theoretically, shield drop -> aerial up b should be pretty darn good, right? I don't have shield drops down consistently enough to do them in legit matches, but it seems like a really good option out of shield on a platform. Has anyone made use of this?

B.W.

Smash Champion
If Toon Link's item set wasn't totally perfect I'd say that's a cool idea.

But the way Toon Link functions right now. Oh god.

I've picked him up permanently again and I'm loving the power.

Player -0

Smash Hero
If you do it fast enough you might miss your opponent by going over them before getting a hitbox out.

Edit: Since he rises before/as hitbox is coming.

Also the disowning of Olimar.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
@Lunchables In your set vs Denti I noticed it looked as if you were b reversing your boomerang. How do you do that; seems useful and fancy. You were even doing it off platforms.

D

Deleted member

I B reverse rang... a lot. The input is just side B and then within 3 frames after the side b you have to reverse the direction

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
After practicing that a bit it is not easy. I find I get the best results if I treat it like Tink is throwing a sonic boom. Rang is kinda similar to sonic boom now that I think about it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I actually find B-Reversing T.Link's stuff pretty easy. Then again I B-Reverse with other characters too so there's that.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I'm a b-reverse junkie, I do it with most characters I play.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
It's tough until you get the hang of it, but becomes super easy with time. I b-reverse Koopa Klaws for the extra distance all the time.

Also, sup guys. Sorry for bailing on Tink for a while. I'm back probably ;o

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Hey, guys. Made my way to Loser's Quarters last night and finally got a match on stream only to get bopped by an amazing Luigi player. South FL is an awesome region, and I'm definitely gonna be attending more tournaments. For now, if you guys could critique this short set of mine, I'd really appreciate it. http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/555320195?t=200m Thanks!

Last edited:

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
is it just me or is Tink's wavedash too short to do a move in? Like I think you can get a jab out after the wavedash, but I don't think it's long enough / the animation doesn't finish fast enough to do something quickly out of it.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Are you supposed to be able to do a move while sliding from a wavedash? A lot of characters can't do it, only long wavedash/slippery friction can do a move while sliding like IC's, Marth, etc.

R_Panda

Smash Rookie
You can act ten frames after hitting the ground, and that gives Tink a few frames to get out a move while moving, but he doesn't slide enough to make this useful in the horizontal movement way you might be thinking.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Actually if you do his full length wavedash I think you can actually get the first jab out while still in motion.

I wasn't able to do this consistently before I made my control stick a circle though.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Other than mixing up my DDs, I mainly use WD as an OoS option since... 3 frame jumpsquat

Waltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryanwaltzwalter1
Ok so I was fiddling around with Tink last night while playing my friend for some practice. At the end of the night we were just goofing off and my Tink was right next to his Ganon (literally right next to him) and I Side Taunted, which, much to y surprise, moved his Ganon to the left a little bit and he fell off the stage and just grabbed the ledge. I know that it's very improbable for this to be used in battle, and it didn't even do any damage to him whatsoever. I haven't done any research on it so I'm probably asking an already answered question, but does anyone know why the heck this happens?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Ok so I was fiddling around with Tink last night while playing my friend for some practice. At the end of the night we were just goofing off and my Tink was right next to his Ganon (literally right next to him) and I Side Taunted, which, much to y surprise, moved his Ganon to the left a little bit and he fell off the stage and just grabbed the ledge. I know that it's very improbable for this to be used in battle, and it didn't even do any damage to him whatsoever. I haven't done any research on it so I'm probably asking an already answered question, but does anyone know why the heck this happens?
When the sound plays when TLink uses the Wind Waker it has a small wind effect.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Cause Wind Waker.

Actually something fun. If you put a bomb near the ledge when someone is offstage, use side taunt on the bomb and you can push it off. Makes for some pretty lol edgeguards sometimes.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Not sure if it works in PM.

In Melee Link and Young Link could put arrows on the ground and Samus could fire a fully charged shot and the grounded arrow would stop it.

Waltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryanwaltzwalter1
I feel like an appropriate name for that move (Bomb drop then Taunt) would be Melody of Mindgames. I just spent a bunch of time practicing it and trying to find ways to use it effectively. It takes a circumstantial set-up but I was able to use it pretty well actually, here's hoping I can find more.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone had trouble crouch canceling out of dash to get a jab out? I can't seem to get it even sort of consistently. I just do dash attacks even when it looks like my dash / run animation is done. Does the control stick need to return to neutral before going down?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say "does the control stick need to return to neutral before going down for the crouch?"

Last edited:

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
I think so since jab requires a neutral position you may have to let it flip back to neutral, if anything you can roll your stick in the direction youre facing downwards and then let it snap back.

Player -0

Smash Hero
You're probably inputting the crouch during the dash animation, which causes it to not crouch. Make sure you're in the run animation.

If Lunchables or someone gave an explanation on how to do stuff out of a dash that would be cool.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Broke top ten at our last weekly (with 88 entrants) for the first time in months, with Tink whom I picked up only 3 or so weeks ago. This character is awesome and I laugh whenever people rank him low. New main. I actually really like using him against Diddy. The most important aspect about Tink I really like is that I almost always have options.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
Can you actually gain height with bomb jumping? It seems like you can just incrementally make your way horizontally but trying to gain height feels impossible

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
So how about we talk about link and how stupidly hard he is? I played some matches against Ice here in az and it was the first time I played a good link. He literally outclasses TL in everything except speed. I'll have a video later and one of me vs Axe's pikachu as well. Hopefully you guys can spot the errors I don't see.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It's not *too* bad imho, you just can't really camp him because his boomerang is so damn fast. I feel that TL does a lot better at CQC though because his jabs/fair/jumpsquat are much faster, and he is probably better at uair juggling than vice versa.

Top Bottom