• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

D

Deleted member

The MU is in toonlinks favor imo, but not by much at all. Toonlink wins in small stages most likely (As long as he has some nice platforms to work with like WW, YS, and BF) due to early kills and his platform stage control.
They're both pretty good combo weight for eachother, but if either player wants to, they can make this mu reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally drawn out :(

Also, toonlinks z dropping with bombs is a great option vs ivys recovery. She will have to pull up into it eventually

Last edited by a moderator:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I agree with Zach mostly. If Ivysaur can get T.Link off stage and catch him with a b-air it's most likely over, but AGT covers T.Link's recovery with bombs fairly well. Get around them though and it's a stock.

I think T.Link outzones Ivysaur pretty convincingly though. Boomerangs are better than Razor Leaf for both keeping out and approaching, bombs are incredibly versatile, and arrows are the longest ranged attack in this matchup. Also every single one of T.Link's projectiles starts combos/sets up for a kill.

I haven't played against an Ivysaur as T.Link, but I played Ivysaur for a while and... Well... Obviously I play T.Link over Ivy now so...

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I think Toon Link controls space a lot better than Ivysaur. Rang clanks with razor leaf, fire arrows on the ground or in the air do as well, so it's great to spray those around to prevent Ivy from trying to razor leaf you to death. Zair is an option for razor leaf too but I don't recommend it. Ivy is easy to punish coming off the ledge when it's being held, or you can z drop bomb, grab ledge and punish.

I can't think of much else, I think it's 60:40

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your toonlink looks pretty solid, I can't find too much to pick out. Good stuff
The only thing I can say might be that you're a bit obvious, but I mess with a ton of tink stuff so it just looks like that to me and not your opponents

D

Deleted member

Aeros fun to watch, but he doesn't satisfy my demand for running around the stage like a mad mane
he plays his projectiles really smart which is cool but I prefer making the stage my little bird house by steping all over it

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Aeros fun to watch, but he doesn't satisfy my demand for running around the stage like a mad mane
he plays his projectiles really smart which is cool but I prefer making the stage my little bird house by steping all over it
This. If you know what you're doing, TL can be one of the most mobile characters in the cast, it's so satisfying to be all over a stage at once between bombs, boomerang, arrows, and his Master Sword(however stubby it may be).

D

Deleted member

Toonlink isn't stubby tbh, nair, dair, u air, fair, dsmash, u smash, and fsmash are kind of big

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
How do you do the thing where when tether'ed you refresh your invisibility by zipping back and forth to the ledge?

D

Deleted member

1. Be on the Ledge
2. Ledge Drop (press down lightly or left/right)
3. Instantly zair again
4. Press a as fast as you can

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Started playing Tink today, and even though I switch mains a lot, I honestly think that he is my favorite character. My friends are coming over tomorrow, so I'll be able to record videos and show off my scrubby Toon Link. This can also be used as a critique thread no?

How long did it take you (Tinks in general) to master the AT bomb jump recovery?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Took me about a day or two to learn it as Toon Link, but by then I had already mastered Link's version, which is considerably easier. I also learned way back in 2.1, where the timing was a lot less strict for Tink. Now, I flub it about half the time, which isn't that bad, because Up-B-ing into the bomb doesn't really gain a lot of horizontal distance, but I have recovered from right at the bottom blast zone of FD with just a single bomb jump. For horizontal recovery, I recommend just to keep going AGT's up and drifting towards the stage as you fall.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Yeah, you can use this as a critique thread. Bomb Jumping requires a little time in the lab but you can learn it quite quickly, once you start to get used to it you can keep practicing it in friendlies until you get it down consistently. =]

edit: ^ Bomb jumping is actually easiest in 3.0 :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People who say bomb jump/agt is hard
fjdksljfdklsfkldsja;klfdsj;fkdlsj;klfdkl;sfjdsklaf;jdsafkds;akfld;saj ITS SO EASY HOW DO YOU EVEN FJDSKLAFJKSDL;FLK

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I find I can get it sometimes with using my double jump. I assume usage of the double jump is bad though.

Jolteon

Yeah, you don't really want to be relying on your double jump to hit the bomb. Means you can only do one before you land and there are less situations in which you can use it.

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
Your toonlink looks pretty solid, I can't find too much to pick out. Good stuff
The only thing I can say might be that you're a bit obvious, but I mess with a ton of tink stuff so it just looks like that to me and not your opponents
a bit obvious? welp that might be one of the tougher things to work on

D

Deleted member

Your tink was one of the better ones I've seen, you pretty much did most of what tink should be doing. Obvious is kind of vague though, so sorry :s

B.W.

Smash Champion
I feel so sad after watching that grenade take your tournament stock. That powershield though.

Good stuff as always though Jolteon, keep teaching us the ways of T.Link.

Jolteon

Would have been an incredible comeback yeah, but well, I shouldn't have let it hit me. I was more salty about the tether SD at 0. >.>

And thanks. =]

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Jolteon, is it just my computer, or is the audio in your vids horribly out of sync from the video for everybody?

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I went to a small tournament in Mantica CA this last weekend with some friends of mine. The overall turnout was about 30-40 from what I could tell. This was my first tourney, and I'm glad I was recorded this often because I can tell better watching how many mistakes I made. Still I did alright. I'm a moderate level player (I think), and been playing for about 6 months. I made top 8 with my main (Tink). Only two of the set-up's were recording but I happen to be on one almost every time, so here is a link to that. Also the audio echoes so you may want to watch on mute, or low. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated though. Gotta get ready for the next one. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rz02_6QOag

My Tink Matches start at

0:00 Skootarius (Tink) vs. SaltedMilk (Sonic & Link)
22:20 Skootarius (Tink) vs. Chaos (Samus)
48:35 Skootarius (Tink) vs. Choknator (Ness)
1:42:25 Skootarius (Tink) vs. DABES (Yoshi)

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
So I watched Aero a couple weeks back and saw just how good Tink can actually be. Not saying he wasn't good already, but I just never saw it until recently.
There are a lot of Link players around Chicago, B.W. knows this as well.

If I decided to pick up Toon Link, what should I work on first and is an aggressive play style viable for him? I always gravitate towards offensive when I play Smash. My two mains are Meta Knight and Kirby and I kinda want a good projectile character that has a tether. Couldn't bring my Melee Samus back and Lucas is too technical for me.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Uh oh, are we going to have a third T.Link in Chicago?

Anyway, you can play fairly aggressive with T.Link, yeah. He's fast enough for it, but I still think he gets a lot more out of running away from people and not toward them, though I play aggressive depending on the character I'm playing against.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh, are we going to have a third T.Link in Chicago?

Anyway, you can play fairly aggressive with T.Link, yeah. He's fast enough for it, but I still think he gets a lot more out of running away from people and not toward them, though I play aggressive depending on the character I'm playing against.
It's a possibility. :)

What should I get the hang of first more than anything? I have some general knowledge with T.Link.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
It's a possibility. :)

What should I get the hang of first more than anything? I have some general knowledge with T.Link.
Probably AGT and bomb jumping. His recovery without them is predictable and pretty poor. They help with onstage mixups and trixies as well :p

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Definitely AGT's first. Aerials are pretty good when you combine them with his boomerang and superb mobility. His grab game is good but way underrated.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Definitely AGT's first. Aerials are pretty good when you combine them with his boomerang and superb mobility. His grab game is good but way underrated.
When would you choose to use arrows over any other projectiles? Also, which grabs are better than others/all the others?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I tend to use arrows when the boomerang isn't available to me.

Also arrows are great for longer ranged zoning.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I pretty much only use arrows when they are too far away for boomerang. Usually only happens for me when I send them across the stage, so I send an arrow towards them as they near the ledge, so instead of grabbing it, they get popped up above it so I can use a smash/dash attack.

Top Bottom