• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

D

Deleted member

When my opponent and I are far away, I also use arrows. Or if I'm knocked offstage and I'm hit really high up. I have to fall down and tether to the ledge. So I fast fall and charge an arrow

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
When would you choose to use arrows over any other projectiles? Also, which grabs are better than others/all the others?
I actually don't use arrows much in general, though I probably should. That being said, I do use them against some characters whose approach is intercepted with projectiles (Ike, Sonic, and Squirtle {not sure about 3.0 Squirtle). Arrows is best at this because it comes out the fastest, but overall it's my least favorite of his projectiles. I also use charged arrows in a fast fall because it often catches an approaching opponent off guard.

As far as his grabs go, it depends a lot of the stage, matchup, and %age. He has a variety of options, which is good, so you sort of have to weigh which are better for each scenario. In my experience...
Up-Throw - Used best for high percentage fast fallers to get caught in an Up-B.
Down-Throw - Probably his best throw, at least in my opinion. It's easy to set up an easy Up-B kill with most medium to high percentage characters.
Back-Throw - Is good to create space or keep someone off stage.
Forward-Throw - Meh. It's okay to chain grab some characters at low percent but for the most part it's rubbish. (Unless you can F-Throw D-Tilt near the ledge and spike.... which is possible but hard.)

Hope that helps.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
When would you choose to use arrows over any other projectiles? Also, which grabs are better than others/all the others?
My favorite use is full hop immediate release. A completely safe way of digging for a combo, either on stage or off.
On stage this could lead to such fun as Reverse B-air, B-air, Up-B, and off stage it could lead to spikes, F-airs, N-airs, and ledgehogging.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
So apparently Toon Link has a pretty sick D-Throw chaingrab against Lucario. From 0 up to about 80-90%, and then just D-Throw>Up-B.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
Bair2UpB2gud
Really? I don't think it's "too" good, or at least no better then Up-B out of throws.
It's good as a killing set-up depending on the %, but at lower %'s B-Air to Up-B, will knock them away, and wont lead into much more then a situation reset. That too has it's advantages, but I don't think it's worse then other follow-ups.

Then again this is me not playing against many Tink players, so maybe I'm just bias and inexperienced against my own tools.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Really? I don't think it's "too" good, or at least no better then Up-B out of throws.
It's good as a killing set-up depending on the %, but at lower %'s B-Air to Up-B, will knock them away, and wont lead into much more then a situation reset. That too has it's advantages, but I don't think it's worse then other follow-ups.

Then again this is me not playing against many Tink players, so maybe I'm just bias and inexperienced against my own tools.
I don't mean its 2 good, it just feels mad good when you do it.

D

Deleted member

I haven't mentioned it here yet, I forgot
I got 3rd at a PM TX tourney. 2nd in dubs. Won another 80 ish, beat sethlon in a roy ditto in WFs and 2-0'd denti in WS. Was an ok weekend, I'll post vids here when I can

Spire

III
BRoomer
Suggestion

I know this is probably very divisive, but I feel Project M is the only avenue by which this could ever manifest...

Would you guys be interested in Toon Link being renamed Young Link? He is Young Link, just presented in a very different visual style than the other Zelda characters. He's not a cartoon, he's just a Young Link in a different art style. If he's a cartoon, then every character in Smash Bros. is a cartoon. None of them are cartoons, they're video game characters. I'm sure this issue bugs very few people, but I'm one of them. If Sakurai had called Toon Link "Young Link" in Brawl, 99% of people would agree that Young Link carried over from Melee to Brawl, just with a visual overhaul to reflect the Wind Waker style for the sake of diversity. Instead, most feel we lost Young Link in favor of Toon Link when they are virtually the same, especially now (Project M) more than ever.

So folks... might we change Toon Link's name to Young Link? It would put to rest a lot of (but not all) longing for Young Link. Young Link and Toon Link could finally be one in the same; name of the former, appearance of the latter, with a moveset the marriage of both!

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
No. He's a cartoon version of Link because of the style Wind Waker is in. He is a separate carnation of the Link we know as "Young Link." Young Link = Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Link as a kid.

Toon Link was added because Ocarina of Time Link has two forms of Link. It worked. There is no child form of Twilight Princess Link.

Toon Link is a young Link be he's not THE Young Link. This would solve nothing, and would just be silly.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Well, the PMBR seems to have put us in a bit of a pickle with this thing. Many people want a Young Link costume for Toon Link, but the PMBR has said that alt costumes must remain the same character. Now we get into the issue of how Link gets an OoT costume. On one hand, they are two completely separate characters, so an alt costume like that should have been out of the question. On the other, Link in Smash doesn't represent Link from any "one" Zelda game, but rather all Links in general. In Melee, we had Young Link, which was made to resemble the young Hero of Time as he appeared in OoT/MM. Now, in Brawl(and Smash U/3DS) we have Toon Link. He serves much the same purpose that Y. Link did, being a smaller, faster, more combo-y version of Link. But this time they had him based on a general art style, rather than a single, specific appearance. Link actually had a "toon" art style in several games, but with WW being the most popular, that's where most of the inspiration came from. As it is, Toon Link stands to represent, a smaller, faster Link, muh like how Young Link did, but with an art style derived from Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures. The basis of the character is not that he is younger than Link, but rather that he is just smaller. When we compare Link and Young Link, the difference we first think is, "They're the same person, just different ages!" When we compare Link and Toon Link, we think, "They have the same 'Link' feeling to them, but they're clearly different people."
/rant

Last edited:

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec
I feel like Toon Link and Young Link are very different characters in terms of personality, where Toon Link was much more expressive than Young Link's more muted reactions.

I mean, I'm gonna play him either way, but I personally like the distinction of Toon Link.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
Naming Toonlink as young link is the worst idea ever.
I agree. Changing Toon Link's name to Young Link seems sort of pointless. Plus, "Tink" rolls of the tongue. "Yink" doesn't. Actually it sounds like it could be a racial slur.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Racism against people who want Young Link back.

Cause it's a race now, I made it that way.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Depends, if you hold A while you pulled a bomb I believe you can still use the C-Stick for stuff.

Do you still pick up items when using aerials like in Brawl?

If so you can Z-Drop -> Aerial to pick it up (Sometimes you can't, if you're rising and then try it doesn't work I think)

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I need help in the Sonic and Roy matchups. Any tips on what to do vs them? I get overwhelmed by Sonic's speed and Roy just feels like a toon link counter to me >_>.

I'll see if i can get some vids this saturday of my PM Toon Link in the tournament. Hopefully I can get better than 4th unlike last tournament, where I got 4th, I know I can, but I need to learn those 2 matchups.

Last edited:

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I need help in the Sonic and Roy matchups. Any tips on what to do vs them? I get overwhelmed by Sonic's speed and Roy just feels like a toon link counter to me >_>.
I'll see if i can get some vids this saturday of my PM Toon Link in the tournament. Hopefully I can get better than 4th unlike last tournament, where I got 4th, I know I can, but I need to learn those 2 matchups.
Roy I can't help you with, I haven't played against him enough to say. Sonic on the other hand I have played against at least a bit and the best advice I can give is abuse your projectiles. Sonic's speedy approach, and even his areas are very susceptible to interrupt. Arrow more than other's usually because it comes out faster, but all the tools can be used. Grounded up B can be used as well depending on the approach the sonic is using. Also, Sonic has a hard time getting away from Tink once you get him in something so once you have the advantage, you should press it, and then either go for a kill, or get away and reset your situation and repeat.

The sonic I play against is by no means "high level" but he's a skilled and smart player. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Hello Toon Link thread:

Please help me fill this out all, trying to complete it as moderately accurate as possible.

I know some MUs won't be agreed on, if there is enough disagreement they can be left blank and we will ask the character on the other side.

I filled it in based on my moderate knowledge of some characters, but I don't get to face every char a lot, or use every character at the optimal level.

green: advantageous
light green: slightly advantageous
grey: Even or tbd
yellow: slightly disadvantageous
Orange: disadvantageous

Attachments

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm trying to, but people don't like to color in tiny boxes it seems.

Any input? IT doesn't need to be full, partial input is better than none.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm not really the guy to ask. If Jolteon, Aero and Lunchables want to discuss it then it's up to them, they've certainly been the most successful with the character.

Top Bottom