• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
totally recorded some matches, I'll upload them soon enough. I've only been able to CG DDD though (Heavy people wise)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Toon Link's awesome in PM.

I've been practicing and trying some approaches and (early percent) combo's and I'm really curious about the approaches and combo's you guys are using atm. Can someone post some cool Tink trivia? Thanks in advance.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I updated the OP, anything older than 3.0 goes into the "outdated" section now.

Toon Link's awesome in PM.

I've been practicing and trying some approaches and (early percent) combo's and I'm really curious about the approaches and combo's you guys are using atm. Can someone post some cool Tink trivia? Thanks in advance.
Best general approaches are: Bomb -> hitconfirm, nair, fair, dtilt and usmash (sometimes). How effective the aerials are highly depends on your spacing.

As for combos, that depends heavily on a character's falling speed/weight class. For example, fastfallers/semi-FFers are much more prone to vertical juggles (usmash/uair) while floaties tend to get combo'd better by horizontal moves (nair/bair). Mid-weights are interesting in that combo'ing them tends to be a mix of both styles. Aside from that, you can opt to juggle characters who struggle to land (e.g. Marth, Sheik or Zelda) with uairs instead of combo'ing them.

Generally speaking for combo'ing (not just for Toon Link) you will want to use moves with high KB at lower %s and moves with lower KB at higher %s, for that reason usmash is generally the best launcher/combo starter to use at low %s (aside from grabs).

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
ok Jolteon: Toon Link vs Sonic; what are my best options for approaching him, and my best projectile? Best stages to play on against him?

also someone mentioned my lack of matches so here are these two:

TeamSp00ky - Apex 2014 Day 1 - Schedule: http://bit.ly/1b7RC4H - Brought to you in part by Play Asia & Megabus - Powered by Twitch! - Twitch

1:03:26 Smith vs JCaesar Winner's Finals and 1:31:35 Smith vs Phish-It, Loser's Finals.

I'm going to a tournament tomorrow so hopefully I'll do well and have videos from that, since it's really hard to record matches with my new set up LOL

Last edited:

Jolteon

vs Sonic:

Due to Sonic's general lack of limbs you can cover pretty much everything he does with good Nair spacing. I'd recommend using this move as the bulk of your neutral game against him because his wait-and-bait style thrives against sword attacks due to their low active frames, and conversely is not as effective vs moves with longer duration.

His speed is overwhelming so I'd suggest avoiding rang/arrows almost entirely. Bombs are still great for expanding your options, they're relatively non-committal and present an immediate threat for him to respect, as well as giving you a hit-confirm if he goes airbourne. They're also great to leave on the ground if he starts spinning.

As for stages, I'd avoid giving him a lot of room, meaning smaller stages. He's also really light so I'd suggest going to a stage like YS/Wario Ware before FoD, due to smaller ceilings.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
vs Sonic:

Due to Sonic's general lack of limbs you can cover pretty much everything he does with good Nair spacing. I'd recommend using this move as the bulk of your neutral game against him because his wait-and-bait style thrives against sword attacks due to their low active frames, and conversely is not as effective vs moves with longer duration.

His speed is overwhelming so I'd suggest avoiding rang/arrows almost entirely. Bombs are still great for expanding your options, they're relatively non-committal and present an immediate threat for him to respect, as well as giving you a hit-confirm if he goes airbourne. They're also great to leave on the ground if he starts spinning.

As for stages, I'd avoid giving him a lot of room, meaning smaller stages. He's also really light so I'd suggest going to a stage like YS/Wario Ware before FoD, due to smaller ceilings.
Very helpful thank you, though I never ended up playing a Sonic. I got 4th (already told you this, can't fully remember if I did, so tired) but I lost to a Ness 2-0. That match up is tough. I couldn't punish landing lag of up-b or up-b itself, should I be aiming to punish him before he lands with an up smash?
Then I lost to stinger's Mewtwo 2-1, we played on an HD Tv with 2 frames of lag but I think the win was fair regardless, but I think zair is a good spacing tool against him.

Also bair fair zair is a fun combo!! its my combo now :3

B.W.

Smash Champion
In the case of Ness recovering though, that might not be possible because he'd be too far. You could always try to snipe the bubble with an arrow or boomerang too though. That's always funny.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Winning isn't everything, even in tournaments. Just like any sport, it's about playing a good game, having fun, and meeting new people.

Jolteon

Very helpful thank you, though I never ended up playing a Sonic. I got 4th (already told you this, can't fully remember if I did, so tired) but I lost to a Ness 2-0. That match up is tough. I couldn't punish landing lag of up-b or up-b itself, should I be aiming to punish him before he lands with an up smash?
Then I lost to stinger's Mewtwo 2-1, we played on an HD Tv with 2 frames of lag but I think the win was fair regardless, but I think zair is a good spacing tool against him.

Also bair fair zair is a fun combo!! its my combo now :3
My Ness experience is pretty limited, but I've had success up+bing them off stage again before they land from up+b. If you eventually send them low enough you can do ledge hop nair to beat it. Unless they up+b near the stage or you have invincibility frames, I wouldn't challenge it.

Congrats on your placing.

D

Deleted member

Toonlink Vs Marth is a difficult matchup at first for toonlink, but after you learn it, it doesn't seem like marths sword is as big of a threat.
Bait marth to approach you first. You shouldn't be running after marth, so put out projectiles constantly and capitalize on any mistake. If you hit him with a bomb, you can upsmash him and lead into several up air juggles. Offstae you beat him for sure, you have a lot of options to gimp him. Just try to outspace him, as hard as that sounds. Personally I think toonlinks movement and projectiles are enough to keep him out

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'm kind of curious, who would you say Toon Link's worst matchups are? His best? I think his best is probably Donkey Kong, with DDD being his worst. What do you guys think?

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Fox is sooo tough with up-throw upair killing toon link at such a huge range of percent. D3 seems tough, but not his worst. I feel like he does well against a lot of floaty characters using his projectiles, range, and movement to weave around their slow movement.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
so I heard every AGT gets less distance, how many bomb jumps are worth it?

D

Deleted member

Fox vs toonlink is basically whoever gets in wins imo, and fox gets in easier
Toonlinks juggles with his u throw/u air/usmash are all really good on fox, he can seal the deal. Fox definitely still wins though :/
DDD is big and fat, toonlink wins lol
Also I don't think that agt thing is true

B.W.

Smash Champion
Dedede loses the onstage game but easily wins once T.Link is off stage. I'd say the matchup is 50:50

SuperMarioKarter

Smash Rookie
I feel like DDD is like Bowser where you want to get stage control early and never ever let go of it.

What do you guys think of the Ness matchup? I've noticed both characters can get some crazy combos on eachother.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Ness sucks and is easy to keep out. Then if you choose to go in on him he's easy to combo. Combos lead to kills or put you back in a position to zone him.

D

Deleted member

Falco Laser > Wolf Laser

By the way, for anyone who is interested, I'm working on a toonlink guide! It will include pretty much every AT that we can think of, idk when it'll be done but I'm starting it! :)

Jolteon

I think Wolf is his hardest match-up as well, Smith. Haven't really thought about it much, though.

Also re: Ness - My Ness experience is kinda limited but I feel pretty comfortable with it. I feel like he beats him pretty solidly in neutral.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Ness is balls easy now that I think about it. It's laughably easy to completely negate his PK Thunder and then make it back on to the stage in time for some milk.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I have a much harder time with Falco than Wolf. I've played Rat's wolf and have done better against him than just about any Falco.

Still not an easy matchup though.

Last edited:

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I think Wolf is his hardest match-up as well, Smith. Haven't really thought about it much, though.

Also re: Ness - My Ness experience is kinda limited but I feel pretty comfortable with it. I feel like he beats him pretty solidly in neutral.
Him being able to wavedash out of his laser makes me think it's better than falco's because he can walk behind it and control space better with it. ****'s hard to deal with sometimes

Last edited:

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
Hey, I'm Socal's Ivysaur, Machiavelli. I was looking to make the Ivysaur MU thread better by asking for feedback on this particular Matchup section. Experience I have on this MU comes from fighting Aero and OkamiBW's Tink. If anyone has more important details to add, such as stage choices or MU ratio suggestions, let me know! I'm inclined to say I like smaller stages vs Tink, and think the MU is pretty close to 50:50.
Close to even

:toonlink:Toon Link
-I find that most people's initial suspicion is that Toon Link wins because Ivysaur has been known to struggle with "spammy" characters, but I feel Toon Link's projectile game is very managable. If you stay airborne, most of Tink's projectiles will float right under you, and you can easily punish overzealous spammers. Ivysaur's range advantage on Toon Link is what I think makes this matchup not so bad. You should be mindful of your spacing and try to be close enough to Tink that you can hit him, but far enough to where his sword can't reach you. When it comes to offstage and gimping games, Toon Link is solidly equipped to defend himself while recovering (especially when close to the edge) so it seems the best way to go about hunting him offstage is to be brave, leap with a bair, and try to hit him hard while he is using his far-offstage AGT bomb jumps. On the other side of the coin, Toon Links like to edge-guard Ivysaur often by staying close to the stage and pelt Ivysaur with a volley of projectiles. Be careful to avoid things like bombs which will pop you up and lead into a dangerous fair.

Top Bottom