• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where to find new gamecube controllers?

Skler

Smash Master
I'm looking to purchase a few new ones, but I'd like to get platinum/silver ones rather than the new white ones. I remember somebody linked to a site that sold original platinum controllers (it was somewhere on Nintendo's site and I couldn't find it) so if anybody could link me to it again that would be great.

Uhhh...discuss controllers or something.

ookami1

Smash Rookie
Could always give amazon.com a go. I'm wanting a brand new yellow one myself

(Yay first post on Smash Boards!) =D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sweet, now I can finally put together that plat+black controller I always wanted to make.

Jonas

Smash Champion
You can get mint condition controllers on Ebay and Amazon.

There's also white controllers on Play-Asia, but most people agree they kind of suck.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
The ones in the original link that are packed are 3rd party. I've heard the joy sticks are very cheap and they are not good for anything at all. There are some people on ebay selling some new boxed controllers (I believe they're japanese because they're boxed, doesn't matter anyway) But they may only be purple ones. From what I've seen from the two listed, they had been taken out of the box to show the condition, but look to be brand new. The other Option is the white controller, which is a really nice controller. The joystick doesn't wear out as fast either because it has a different joystick mechanism. Unfortunately for me I let my friend use my white one too much and now it's getting beat up and super dirty and it's the only controller he'll use. So I just use my old purple controller.

New controllers are pretty expensive though, especially anything that's factory sealed, brand new, and not a white one, since they're discontinued. So look to be spending in the 30 to 40 dollar range.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ga...troller&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Skler

Smash Master
StrongBad got em, Thanks for the help everyone!

Gamecube controllers that aren't third party are such a pain to find.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lack of controllers is like the only legit reason I can see for the eventual death of this game.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Those platinum controllers are brand new, right? After I move and have some money over the summer, I may order one and another white controller.

Jonas

Smash Champion
No they won't, quit talking out your ***.
lack of controllers is like the only legit reason I can see for the eventual death of this game.
It's not legit at all, PC's and emulators considered.
I mean, anyone could conceivably get used to play Melee with a regular PC controller or an Xbox controller.

Walt

Smash Ace
No they won't, quit talking out your ***.

It's not legit at all, PC's and emulators considered.
I mean, anyone could conceivably get used to play Melee with a regular PC controller or an Xbox controller.
hail naw son. how would people light sheild? gotta have those pressure triggers.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm selling my two controllers. One is in great condition and the other is only 6 months old. Made from the white Nintendo brand. Cosmetic change of a purple front and a black bottom.

The newer one I'm selling for 20 and the older one is 15.

Zodiac

Smash Master
" An intuitive button layout - including a satisfyingly chunky main button" From the amazon website. what more do you need to know?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Fine, let Melee "die" whenever controllers aren't available anymore. I'll just keep playing it with whatever equipment is available, even if it's not optimal.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Controllers will be around for a while

I can still get buttloads of good N64 controllers when I want them, and those suckers last 6 months and haven't been made for like 10 years. There's a gigantic untapped reservoir of casual gamers who still have gamecubes in their basements but never play them; it'll last an OK-sized melee community for many years to come.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
What's wrong with the white ones?
I haven't tried one, but shouldn't they be the same+longer cable?

rhan

Smash Hero
Nothing is wrong with the white controllers.

The only con is that the price is 30 bucks for an out dated system.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Nothing is wrong with the white controllers.

The only con is that the price is 30 bucks for an out dated system.
And the platinum ones cost 25.
I doubt anyone's selling new controllers a lot cheaper than that.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's actually closer to $40 with overseas shipping, I think D:

From what I hear, the white controllers seem to have a cheaper feel to them than the older models.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Overseas shipping? Do amazon if you're looking for a white one, shipping is free and fast.

:phone:
Yep, 29.99 and free shipping on Amazon.
I also found new Indigo ones for that same price, but no free shipping and they only have 5 in stock.
I guess if you want new non-white controllers, buying the platinum ones directly from Nintendo is likely the best choice.

Magus420

Smash Master
I got a total of 4 official white controllers on ebay about a year and a half ago whenever I saw them at a good price (like 20-23 shipped or so each).

All 4 use the screw in model analogs that can be easily swapped among others that use that type if you want.

I haven't noticed the shoulder buttons gripping any more than normal. That's generally caused by stuff building up on the inside of the buttons where the black and gray pieces slide along the other anyway and cleaning it fixes it.

On all 4 of them the main stick's analog box was rather stiff while the c-stick's box was pretty much perfect when swapped into the main analog socket. Good tension (no issues when flick pivoting) with very little dead space near neutral and very easy to move (can easily get lagless back dash turnarounds), very accurate (when inputting any full cardinal direction on char sel screen it doesn't drift along the edge of the screen, and down+behind jab canceling works in both directions using the diagonal notch). Switching the main boxes of 2 with the c-stick boxes of the other 2 gave me 2 controllers that are just right and 2 that'll need breaking in if I end up needing them.

trigg

Smash Rookie
If you go to a gamestop they sell used controllers for $15, or full gamecubes /w a controller for $30. I was willing to spend $25 on a controller, but just ended up buying a gamecube, and the controller that came with it works just fine.

Top Bottom