• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where My Girls At?

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
I have to say you do have a good point. While it's good to have female characters, I think what they can contribute to Smash Bros should outweigh their gender. That's not to say there aren't good characters that also happen to be female. I can name a few off the top of my head including Lip who's the star of Panel de Pon and could have position swapping abilities identical to that of panel swapping in PdP, Jill who is the protagonist of Screw Breaker/Drill Dozer and would be a small-sized heavyweght with a mighty drill mech to rip her opponents apart, Krystal who has the greatest potential out of any Star Fox character to not be a clone of Fox and holds a strong supporting role (much larger than most of the other characters) in the Star Fox series, for starters. Wanting a character simply for the sake of some sort of gender quota isn't doing these characters justice, and sort of a step backwards in support for the female characters as it says these characters are only worthy because they are female and not because they are good enough on their own to equally compete with their male colleagues.

I understand the want for female characters, but let's support these girls for what they can do, like we do for any other character, and let their gender simply be a nice bonus.
Whoa... you have alot to say, and it was very well said... you deserve a gameboy color, here! :colorgame

Says the person who thinks Ridley should be boss only.
ridley was never a good character to begin with... (don't reply to this, now's not the time)

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I have to say you do have a good point. While it's good to have female characters, I think what they can contribute to Smash Bros should outweigh their gender. That's not to say there aren't good characters that also happen to be female. I can name a few off the top of my head including Lip who's the star of Panel de Pon and could have position swapping abilities identical to that of panel swapping in PdP, Jill who is the protagonist of Screw Breaker/Drill Dozer and would be a small-sized heavyweght with a mighty drill mech to rip her opponents apart, Krystal who has the greatest potential out of any Star Fox character to not be a clone of Fox and holds a strong supporting role (much larger than most of the other characters) in the Star Fox series, for starters. Wanting a character simply for the sake of some sort of gender quota isn't doing these characters justice, and sort of a step backwards in support for the female characters as it says these characters are only worthy because they are female and not because they are good enough on their own to equally compete with their male colleagues.

I understand the want for female characters, but let's support these girls for what they can do, like we do for any other character, and let their gender simply be a nice bonus.
It was never really intentional to bring the idea of having female characters in just because they're female. The females characters being proposed in this thread aren't just being proposed because they're female and because we need more of them but because they have potential of making Brawl a better game. No one is intending to say "Female X for Brawl because she is female!" Never. The females are being brought up because, like you said, they can compete with the males and they would bring diversity to the game. Had these said females been males, they would still be supported [at least by me] but the fact that they're female only adds on.

Say, for example, a male-form of Zelda. For me, I know I would be supporting him all the way because I am all for Magic-type users. Magic characters blow my mind and had he been a boy, I would use him still. But the fact that this is a female we're talking about only adds on to that, making her more unique.

That's what I mean when I say "More Females For Brawl."

my guess is next friday's update will be a double update:

Zelda's Special Moves &
SHEIK PLAYABLE!
Boy how that would just make my day :D

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
It was never really intentional to bring the idea of having female characters in just because they're female. The females characters being proposed in this thread aren't just being proposed because they're female and because we need more of them but because they have potential of making Brawl a better game. No one is intending to say "Female X for Brawl because she is female!" Never. The females are being brought up because, like you said, they can compete with the males and they would bring diversity to the game. Had these said females been males, they would still be supported [at least by me] but the fact that they're female only adds on.

Say, for example, a male-form of Zelda. For me, I know I would be supporting him all the way because I am all for Magic-type users. Magic characters blow my mind and had he been a boy, I would use him still. But the fact that this is a female we're talking about only adds on to that, making her more unique.

That's what I mean when I say "More Females For Brawl."
Alright, I support your notion if that's what you're meaning. I appologize for the misunderstanding on my part. I see so many replies and statements putting more emphasis on gender over what the characters as a character has to offer. Ovbiously you don't, so I tip my hat to you.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Alright, I support your notion if that's what you're meaning. I appologize for the misunderstanding on my part. I see so many replies and statements putting more emphasis on gender over what the characters as a character has to offer. Ovbiously you don't, so I tip my hat to you.
No apology needed for it is a simple misunderstanding.
I also see what you mean when you say "I see so many replies and statements putting more emphasis on gender over what the character as a character has to offer."
I've seen some people put the random-est females and say "We need more females." (The Cooking Mama Thread) :p

Saku

Smash Cadet
^^^
Well then, you need to broaden your feminism just a little.
A lot of the male characters in all the entire gaming world play virtually the same, and you can almost surely find some sort of clone of any guy in another game.
Take popular characters like Cloud. Can anyone think of a game or games that hold almost carbon-copies of Cloud? (Grandia II.. for instance..)
Almost all girls in a given game have different styles of gameplay that really cannot be compared to another girl or even to other characters within their own series. They offer much more variety.
I just wish there were more to consider from Nintendo..

Caael

Smash Lord
Yes! They should do like a quadruple update: Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, Micaih, and Krystal... Everyone would be like O: and sakurai would leap into the air and shout "GIRL POWER!"

Or something like that... Anyway, yeah we need more female updates
And then pull of his wig to reveal that all along he was one of the spice girls.

Almost all girls in a given game have different styles of gameplay that really cannot be compared to another girl or even to other characters within their own series. They offer much more variety
If master chief is a chick...

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
^^^
Well then, you need to broaden your feminism just a little.
A lot of the male characters in all the entire gaming world play virtually the same, and you can almost surely find some sort of clone of any guy in another game.
Take popular characters like Cloud. Can anyone think of a game or games that hold almost carbon-copies of Cloud? (Grandia II.. for instance..)
Almost all girls in a given game have different styles of gameplay that really cannot be compared to another girl or even to other characters within their own series. They offer much more variety.
I just wish there were more to consider from Nintendo..
Well, in some senses, that's true, but there are a good number of similar female characters as there are male character (and likewise unique male characters as there are female characters). You just notice the more similar male characters since there's simply alot more of them, but in comparisson to their proportionate numbers/ratios, I think they're pretty much even.

Mallhew

Smash Cadet
In the Anime, Pikachu is a girl.

Also, Krystal (who I might remind you will be stylized like Fox) and Midna are almost surely gonna be in the game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Also, Krystal (who I might remind you will be stylized like Fox) and Midna are almost surely gonna be in the game.
In the anime, Pikachu is a male...not female

You are wrong!

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

Not true about Pikachu, but the Jigglypuff that has been in Smash has always been female-ish, her costumes are all girly (the only exception being the green bandana, but even that has a little bow tying it up, yup, all girl)

We need:

Krystal
Midna
Paula/Kumatora
Micaiah
Lip
Dixie Kong

etc.

Ok, not ALL of them, but they all make good female reps.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not true about Pikachu, but the Jigglypuff that has been in Smash has always been female-ish, her costumes are all girly (the only exception being the green bandana, but even that has a little bow tying it up, yup, all girl)

We need:

Krystal
Midna
Paula/Kumatora
Micaiah
Lip
Dixie Kong

etc.

Ok, not ALL of them, but they all make good female reps.
Birdo is a boy and he is pink and wears a bow...

bored

Smash Ace
Please, Peach is the only female we need in this game, well for me, of course. Lol Gardevoir you have to be kidding me XD...

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
Kat & Ana should've replaced the Ice Climbers.
OMG are you serious? thinking that those two WarioWare characters (i think) would have replaced the unique ice climbers? Putting those two unimportant characters before the first retro addition to ssb? Stealing a totaly correct character's spot on the roster?:(
Lame....

psychic turnip

Smash Apprentice
as a peach and zelda user i would like to see there move sets mainly to if zelda is with shiek or not am hopping for that there not together and I would like to see daisy there and maybe gardivior

dooky

Smash Cadet
Ninja kiddies from Wario Ware. They're cute, and I'm always up for more cute, but I'm glad the Ice Climbers kept their place on the roster. Since the two-character thing is really the Ice Climbers' department, it's unlikely Kat and Ana will make it in now, unless there's a radically different spin on the two-character dynamic that the developers have come up with.

My most-wanted female characters for Brawl? Midna, Jill Dozer, Lip... and as a total outsider, Mama of Cooking Mama fame. Krystal I'm ambivalent towards, but she's a pretty likely addition, and I'd have no objection to her joining.

Above all else, I think we need some more variety in the female Smashers. I always liked Samus, as she was that rarity: a female heavyweight. So I'm kind of nonplussed by Zero Suit Samus, since as far as I can see it's just making her less original. Now, I can't comment too much on the effect until I actually get to play as her, but I really hope it adds something to the game, rather than just being eye candy for fanboys.

And that's one of the motivations behind my other choices for female fighters. I hope we get something unique from the "sexy female" design of Zelda, Zero Suit Samus and Peach (Peach is more cartoonish, I know, but she's designed after the same aesthetic). Hence my suggestions being a freak with a lump of masonry on her head, a girl who pilots a huge walking drill, a cutesy magical girl and... uh... a middle-aged housewife. Hey, even a blue anthropomorphic fox would be a step in the right direction...

Caael

Smash Lord

Midna? She's been in once recent game. That doesn't mean anything. Maybe Ghor from Corruption should be in, because he's been in a new game and he was a main character.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Midna? She's been in once recent game. That doesn't mean anything. Maybe Ghor from Corruption should be in, because he's been in a new game and he was a main character.
then why want Geno in? He has technically only been in one game...

Why put Jill? Only one of her games as well

Why want Sukapon, Takamaru, Pit, Sheik, Ness, Roy, Zero Suit Samus or anyone else who was playable in 1 game...

your arguement doesn't mean anything...

Arteen

Smash Lord
Brawl totally needs Mia, Jenna, Sheba, or Karst from Golden Sun.

Mia is a healer who fights with water/ice elemental attacks, and Brawl could definitely use more non-fire elemental characters. She also has the closest tie to the main villain in the game and helped you enter the first elemental lighthouse.

Jenna uses fire. Although there is certainly a lot of fire in SSB games, most of it is just an extra effect (e.g. Roy and Falcon) or it's the fire breath move (Bowser, Charizard, pokeball pokemon). No character really makes full use of the element. I could see her using staff- or sword- or mace-based and casting attacks that make full use of the range fire would provide. Also, she is an important character in both games, as Felix's sister and Isaac and Garet's friend in Vale, she was playable in the beginning of GS1, and she was also the first playable character in GS2.

Sheba is a telepathic girl who fights with wind and electrical attacks. That combination could make for a very unique fighter. Also, Catastrophe would be the most awesome final smash ever. She was a mysterious girl who was kidnapped in the first game and then became playable in the second.

Karst fights with a sythe, and Brawl is completely lacking in the sythe department. She was one of the main thre antagonists in GS2, and she has ties to the main antagonists in GS1.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Brawl totally needs Mia, Jenna, Sheba, or Karst from Golden Sun.

Mia is a healer who fights with water/ice elemental attacks, and Brawl could definitely use more non-fire elemental characters. She also has the closest tie to the main villain in the game and helped you enter the first elemental lighthouse.

Jenna uses fire. Although there is certainly a lot of fire in SSB games, most of it is just an extra effect (e.g. Roy and Falcon) or it's the fire breath move (Bowser, Charizard, pokeball pokemon). No character really makes full use of the element. I could see her using staff- or sword- or mace-based and casting attacks that make full use of the range fire would provide. Also, she is an important character in both games, as Felix's sister and Isaac and Garet's friend in Vale, she was playable in the beginning of GS1, and she was also the first playable character in GS2.

Sheba is a telepathic girl who fights with wind and electrical attacks. That combination could make for a very unique fighter. Also, Catastrophe would be the most awesome final smash ever. She was a mysterious girl who was kidnapped in the first game and then became playable in the second.

Karst fights with a sythe, and Brawl is completely lacking in the sythe department. She was one of the main thre antagonists in GS2, and she has ties to the main antagonists in GS1.
How great would it be to have all of those elemental fighters :D
I love the elemental fighters and that's something that Brawl is kinda missing.
But hey, I'll live.
That Catastrophe was pretty awesome. I liked the way it kinda turned into a dragon at the end.
I do believe, unless Isaac is added first, all four have very slim chances.
And, personally, I don't think that Isaac himself has the Best chances.
But, hey, a person can hope right! :grin:

Smash Ace
I want to see Zelda's update, and see if her VB is still Sheik.
a ZSS update would be pleasant too.
I don't care about Peach.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Make sure to head on over to Starmen.net and tell them they've incorrectly labeled Giygas as a male in their Earthbound Zero FAQ, then.

I suppose I just trust them...
They also have a theory that Geigue was actually female AND is says that they think Giygas is female IN earthbound

Top Bottom