• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where is Nintendo going?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Is just me or Nintendo has changed a lot in years?
Look at these for example:

Hard to belive they come from the same company that censored the girls in the SNES version of Sunset Riders.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Compared to several other consoles' games, Nintendo is pretty tame when it comes to sexualizing female characters. They're weak and have to be rescued instead, and even that they're not really doing any longer.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Compared to several other consoles' games, Nintendo is pretty tame when it comes to sexualizing female characters. They're weak and have to be rescued instead, and even that they're not really doing any longer.
Definitely. Especially if one of the only examples for oversexualized females in Nintendo is Midna.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
And what about Samus? She has always been a though girl but now she is appearing more and more frequently without her armour.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeah. They're just making there characters look female. Apparently it's perfectly okay to have a half-naked man with an 8-pack, but the moment we even see something that resembles breasts on a female video game character, it's the spawn of the devil.

It's not a crime to make females look attractive. Isn't that what most females in real life do anyway?

~rh

Smash Lord
^ Exactly.

But let Ninty do what they do... it keeps their name sane in 'parents' minds.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah. They're just making there characters look female. Apparently it's perfectly okay to have a half-naked man with an 8-pack, but the moment we even see something that resembles breasts on a female video game character, it's the spawn of the devil.

It's not a crime to make females look attractive. Isn't that what most females in real life do anyway?
Welcome to American backwards logic. A movie gets rated PG-13 if it has excessive violence by pacifist standards, but if they show the slightest breast or utter one extra obscenity - R. Go figure.

Sariku

Smash Master
Nintendo is changing to appeal the casuals, duh. Lol. It does seem weird that they are changing now, but to attract more people, they have to step up. That's my reasoning, anyways.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Krystal was actually the idea of Rare, which is now making craptacular games these days. Though if Miyamoto is going to make Star Fox Wii(I wish upon my Wii) Expect Krystal to get a overhaul design

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Yeah. They're just making there characters look female.
So true, look at the step from the first Paper Mario to Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.
In the first episode the female teammates look al but feminine (eccept Princess Bow), in the second instead they look very feminine and showing off that.
Ms. Mowz expecially is something I was not expecting from Nintendo. Not such her appearance but the way she act, and the fact that as teammate, she is using her sexuality as weapon in combats.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
So true, look at the step from the first Paper Mario to Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.
In the first episode the female teammates look al but feminine (eccept Princess Bow), in the second instead they look very feminine and showing off that.
Ms. Mowz expecially is something I was not expecting from Nintendo. Not such her appearance but the way she act, and the fact that as teammate, she is using her sexuality as weapon in combats.
What's Mario grabbing when you use the gust ability in TTYD? Oh... that's right, he's squeezing THAT.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Not in her imp form, no.
Why not? Well, that's a taste question I suppose.
Anyway, it's undeniable the fact she is often acting pretty like a mistress forward Link. not ramdomly she is riding him when he's in wolf form.

Anyway, I think Nintendo is realizing that their audience has seen more PG-13 rated stuff because of the internet.
Probably. At least they are not using the PG stuff to attract the male audience, but istead they are making it part of the game.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Why not? Well, that's a taste question I suppose.
Anyway, it's undeniable the fact she is often acting pretty like a mistress forward Link. not ramdomly she is riding him when he's in wolf form.
Wait, let me correct myself.
Reyairia said:
Not in her imp form, no. Unless you're a pedophile.
Is that all right now?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Wait, let me correct myself.

Is that all right now?
Yes! But, even efforting, I can't see her as a kid, not with those curves and that acting of her. No matter how short she is. Which isn't a problem for a girl who can float three feet from the ground.
If you consider me a pedophile for that then you should consider Nintendo as well, for how they constructed her.
Seriously, look at Baby Peach and Baby Daisy and see the difference.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
God, how in the world is Midna SEXY in her IMP form?? I mean, what an example is that? Nintendo is still the tamest of the bunch. If you want oversexualized women, then play DOA and Soul Calibur and then come back and have a look at Nintendo. And what was that all about, her being sort of a "mistress" to Link. Sorry, but if anything, but I don't think anybody in their right mind would have thought about this, until now. Seriously...the only one I could see fitting into the category out of all the Nintendo women is Samus, and even then, she always was a sex symbol...which doesn't even mean anything, she's **** strong and in no way helpless.

EDIT: You can probably tell that I'm not really in the right mood.

D

Deleted member

Welcome to American backwards logic. A movie gets rated PG-13 if it has excessive violence by pacifist standards, but if they show the slightest breast or utter one extra obscenity - R. Go figure.
Airplane! was rated PG. Remember what happened after Elaine asked the passengers for a pilot? :laugh:

Then again, it came out in '80.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Wow, I was pretty harsh. I was so PO'd yesterday that I even risked an infraction. But it's true, except if I misunderstood your posts, in that case I would certainly crawl back in my basement :x

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I never said Nintendo's girls are oversexualized, expecially if compared to the girls of most other companies. I'm glad Nintendo hasn't gone that far yet and I hope they will never go (unless they will do in a better way). But if you look back you can see a precise evolution.
We will turn back to Midna later. I was only pointing out I don't consider her a kid by any way.
Look at Rosetta from Super Mario Galaxy, her voice and her looking. She's not such the classic toony princess we are used to. This time Nintendo apparently worked harder in creating a sexy woman. And I said "woman" instead of "girl" on purpose. She is firmly a step above Peach and Daisy.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Zamus actually sort of bugs me, and I'm anything but super feminist/conservative. I don't have a problem with sexy female characters in general (unusual, I know). It's just that Samus was originally a very tough, solitary, intelligent, and collected character. She wasn't obnoxiously feminist or anything. She didn't have time to be feminist - she had more important business to take care of. For this reason, sexualizing Samus (and Zamus is pretty **** blatant) somehow seems wrong to me. I don't have any problem with showing Samus sans suit at the end of every Metroid game because the context is closer to "so that's what she really looks like" than using sex appeal to increase sales or popularity. I just don't like Samus transitioning from (female) lone wolf bounty hunter to Xena: Warrior Princess.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I never said Nintendo's girls are oversexualized, expecially if compared to the girls of most other companies. I'm glad Nintendo hasn't gone that far yet and I hope they will never go (unless they will do in a better way). But if you look back you can see a precise evolution.
We will turn back to Midna later. I was only pointing out I don't consider her a kid by any way.
Look at Rosetta from Super Mario Galaxy, her voice and her looking. She's not such the classic toony princess we are used to. This time Nintendo apparently worked harder in creating a sexy woman. And I said "woman" instead of "girl" on purpose. She is firmly a step above Peach and Daisy.
She really is, though. Have you heard her in Mario Kart Wii? It's like she trying to so everything in a sexy manner, even when she laughs. Her voice is really breathy, unlike Peach, whose is usually high pitched (I say usually b/c her voice ators havebeen switched around alot). You don't think they're trying to make Peach sound bimbo-esque...now that I think about it, it's an interesting theory. Daisy on the other hand, sounds like she's grunting half the time doing anything, not in an attractive manner at all.

So maybe Nintendo is upping the ante. But it's nowhere near as bad as something like the Dead or Alive seres.

"I'm going to wear someting extremely skimpy, because the designeris a perv, and it'll be effctive somehow! Then I'll play volleyball for some reason!"

"Okay!"

Nintendo hasn't gotten that dumb yet. At least the biker outfits in Mario Kart Wii are modest. And in Brawl, only Zamus seems to be oozing out the sexiness, but Peach can be debated (with moves like Ftilt, Bair, and the Peach Bomber) but I don't think she's that bad about it.

EDIT: I can't ever type well...

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
So you finally get the point. I've got nothing against sexy girls (look at my sign) but the quick way Nintendo has changed its politic is almost scary.
Besides how sexy they're making the girls nowdays, occasionally there are some tasks...
Like when, in Paper Mario TTYD, Princess Peach has to fully strip to complete the invisibility or when, in Super Mario Galaxy, Bee Mario has to crawl all over the body of the queen bee to pick up the piece of star, making her oftenly reacting with moans or quick sentences.
I found both them very funny, but when I realized the humor was of a sexual nature (a second later) I got amazed at such things coming from Nintendo.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
there's no girls in yo sig
That is a girl in the sig, but its in no way shape or form sexy.

And about Midna... I agree she is NOT sexy in her imp form (though for some reason I new she was going to be when the curse was lifted. :)) And guess what... I was right (well unless you take the gray skin color as a big enough negative to balance it out.)

And Zamus may be a little oversexualized but I think its about time that Nintendo admit that girls are beautiful (something that Fire Emblem does an amazingly good job of, with few exceptions *caugh Titania caugh*.)

But in all serious why look at Nintendo and complain about this? Sexualization is seeping into once fairly innocent places everwhere. There are sexualized women and sexual references literally everywhere... EVEN IN CHILDRENS' CARTOONS.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Wow I thought this thread would be about how Nintendo is dumbing down all of its games on the Wii to be more user friendly. Mario/Sonic Olympics? Mario Party? Brawl?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
So you finally get the point. I've got nothing against sexy girls (look at my sign) but the quick way Nintendo has changed its politic is almost scary.
Besides how sexy they're making the girls nowdays, occasionally there are some tasks...
Like when, in Paper Mario TTYD, Princess Peach has to fully strip to complete the invisibility or when, in Super Mario Galaxy, Bee Mario has to crawl all over the body of the queen bee to pick up the piece of star, making her oftenly reacting with moans or quick sentences.
I found both them very funny, but when I realized the humor was of a sexual nature (a second later) I got amazed at such things coming from Nintendo.
I compleely forgot about that part in Paper Mario, that was weird, understqandble but odd. Maybe T.E.C. (that computer thingy) was just being a perv.

It also sliped my mind until you mentioned Mario's exploration in the secret life of bes, or whatever. That queen made some...odd noises. The small captions weren't helpful either. It's werid that Nintendo's pulling this, but understandable. And Flurrie, that was odd in so many ways. Mario freaking love touches her-and I'm not trying to sound gross or anything--but her chest jiggles wehnever she moves and it's awkward since she's a ghosty-woman thing. At least they didn't try to make the Shadow Queen sexy. That would have been painful.

I think it's more American Nintendo than NIntendo as a whole. I heard that in Final Fantasy VI on the SNES (also known as Final Fantasy III at that time) had a certain scene where Celes's panties fell off, but it was removed in the American localization. It's odd how developers can be gross like that sometimes. I'd like to havea smut-free game, please. It's not a big deal if you show some skin, but if you're going to give someone a washcloth and expect them to wear it as a top, please, cut down.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I see for the most of you, the terms "sexy girl" is restricted to females of human species. While for many people it can be extended beyond that limit. And the producers of videogames are realizing that. Even Nintendo! That's why in Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Games (thanks to Ir Arby to remind me that) Amy is wearing pants under her skirt and Rouge is absent. Else they would have been too distractful.
That shows off Nintendo is wise enought to know where to put limits. But it'ìs even the proof that they don't do anything ramdomly and if you find something that might sound kinky, it was there on purpose.
T.E.C. Is much probably a perv. Infact he fell in love for Peach after seeing her naked in the shower. I just remembered that part of Paper Mario TTYD as timesmash mentioned HIS name.
Machines has no gender for nature, but if we consider T.E.C. a male then the entire plot make sense. Another proof than, rather to stick cheap sexual reference onto a game, like the most of companies can do, Nintendo is making them part of the game itself.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I see for the most of you, the terms "sexy girl" is restricted to females of human species. While for many people it can be extended beyond that limit. And the producers of videogames are realizing that. Even Nintendo! That's why in Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Games (thanks to Ir Arby to remind me that) Amy is wearing pants under her skirt and Rouge is absent. Else they would have been too distractful.
That shows off Nintendo is wise enought to know where to put limits. But it'ìs even the proof that they don't do anything ramdomly and if you find something that might sound kinky, it was there on purpose.
T.E.C. Is much probably a perv. Infact he fell in love for Peach after seeing her naked in the shower. I just remembered that part of Paper Mario TTYD as timesmash mentioned HIS name.
Machines has no gender for nature, but if we consider T.E.C. a male then the entire plot make sense. Another proof than, rather to stick cheap sexual reference onto a game, like the most of companies can do, Nintendo is making them part of the game itself.
I actually do find Amy and Krystal to be very sexy (though they would be much better as humans). That thing in your sig, however, is not.

Lol I guess Nintendo was trying to show off Peach's sexy side (as if Melee hadn't done that).
And why do I have a sudden desire to play Paper Mario TTYD....

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I actually do find Amy and Krystal to be very sexy (though they would be much better as humans). That thing in your sig, however, is not.
And not even Renamon I guess. That's OK. At least you're not calling me "freaky furry fan".

Lol I guess Nintendo was trying to show off Peach's sexy side (as if Melee hadn't done that).
I felt something was changing in Nintendo's politic when I saw her true undies for the first time. With hindsight is clear it was not just a parody of the unwritten rule that every beat 'em up has to have at least one panty shot gal.
I tell my theory: Nintendo is actually strugglling hard between not not losing its style and shake off the fame of kids oriented company.
We all sure have nothing against sexy girls in videogames but we wonnot Nintendo becoming like Tecmo. Do we?

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
And not even Renamon I guess. That's OK. At least you're not calling me "freaky furry fan".

I felt something was changing in Nintendo's politic when I saw her true undies for the first time. With hindsight is clear it was not just a parody of the unwritten rule that every beat 'em up has to have at least one panty shot gal.
I tell my theory: Nintendo is actually strugglling hard between not not losing its style and shake off the fame of kids oriented company.
We all sure have nothing against sexy girls in videogames but we wonnot Nintendo becoming like Tecmo. Do we?
Tecmo no... Intelligent Sytems (the makers of Fire Emblem)... **** YEAH!

Weed

Smash Lord
i dont think ive ever seen anything sexually provocative in any nintendo game

if anything in paper mario turns you on, youre gay
if you find anything in a sonic or starfox game, youre a fur***

thats all.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion

thats all.
Obviously you are either blind or a female. There are plenty of (albeit slightly for the most part) sexually provocative things in nintendo games.

For the fur*** as you call them, have you considered they might be thinking of what Krystal, Amy, or other said attractive (for their universe) game characters would look like as human beings?

And have you ever played Metroid Prime or even seen Zamus on Brawl?

Hell even Peach can be attractive and slightly provocative.

Now if your a female, I guess you might see things differently.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion

thats all.
quoted for mother****ing truth.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
llol chris is right. what game is she from?
The cat in my sign? She's Jenny from Bucky O'Hare, the arcade game. She was the first videogame chars I had a crush for. I found Later Bucky O'Hare was first of all a comic, then an animated series and then a couple of games by Konamy (one for Nes and one arcade).
And in a couple of years it's going to be a movie:

I'm not disturbed by you speculating on my sexuality, but by you using the term "gay" as an insult. Some of my friends are gay or bi, and they are still more polite than you.
Anyway, with that graphic style is quite difficult to being turned on just by watching.
Despite that, the behaviour of Ms. Mowz is still amazing for a Nintendo char.

Was that furry or furrvert? Anyway I'm both of them.
Not only I collect hentai and soft porn pics of furry chars in my hard disk, I'm also drawing them myself (the ones I posted in the art section are very tame, compared to the ones I can't post).
But one count is fan art and another count is official art and events.
A fan pic of a naked Rosetta can be a turn on, but it's surely not surprising as much as a giant mech looking like Princess Peach and with rocket brests as stage boss in a future game of Super Mario.

Top Bottom