• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When you chose your main...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Has anyone here actually chose thier main just because the character is one of thier favorites? For example, DDD. I didn't know he was going to be that good, but I like the Kirby series, so I was just like, "Cool, Dededes in."

I've stuck with Dedede since his announcement, and I didn't choose him based on his chain grabs etc. Well, it feels like I'm the only one like this, I mean seriously, where did all these Ike fans come from? I can understand Meta Knight though, he's cool looking.

So my question is, have any of you chose your main only on how much you like the series that the character is in? :)

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
Well when I started Sonic was gonna be my main weather I was good with him or not lol but after a lot of practice he is now my best character although my playability with other characters got effected.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Snake had his fans before he was OMFG T3H UNTOUCHABLE GAWD TEAR!

I had chosen to main him when we thought he was crap, but I liked his weird smashes.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I will always lurve Snake, Falco, and Dedede.

<_< I don't like Meta Knight but I play him anyway.

I love all the characters, rofl

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I was with Olimar since the morning I saw him on the dojo. I love the pikmin games. But he didn't end up too high on the tier list (for now, muahaha), so I don't get too much flak for using him. :)

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Toon Link and Pokemon Trainer were my most wanted characters (along with Takamaru, but he didn't make the cut)...so yeah. I am using my characters because I like them, and whether they were bad or not I would have used them.

I've got mixed feelings on Lucario though...I love his fighting style, but I've never really been attached to the actual Pokemon. =s

Lorenor

Smash Rookie
Well, when Fire Emblem Path of Radiance came out here, I was already a huge Smash Brothers Fan. my main was at that time Roy, but sadly, his game never came out in my country, so I didn´t really know him from FE6. While playing Path of Radiance, I became more and more attached to Ike and I swore that he will be my Main if he ever becomes a character in the next Smash Brothers. When he was announced, it was already settled, no other character would be concidered as a main, only Ike. I wouldn´t care about how strong he would be in brawl, I would even play him if he would have the same move for every button, I just like him that much.

Ossian

Smash Rookie
I love playing sheik as main.
I started playing her back in melee, And I had never been on a SSBM site before so don't think I did it because she was good, I found that out later.
Even with the Nerfs she got I still love her moves, I find her lack of killing power a challenge, and comboing is so fun.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I play Yoshi cause I luv his style. He has always been my third favorite character from a nintendo game, (next to Geno and Wario) but I just didn't like Wario in this game for some reason, and so I got really good as Yoshi, and hold him dear to my heart.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
definetly chose my main (Bowser) becuase I like the Mario Series, ironically though Snake didn't turn out as cool as I thought he would be since I always played he's games ever since they first came out on PS1, but he's still cool though

Raidein

Smash Cadet
I've always thought Ganondorf was the coolest Nintendo villian. He just looked so cool and evil. I was ecstatic the first time I heard he was going to be in Melee. He's currently just 1/7 of my mains.

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
mario was my first one for the first 2 games, but in brawl, it was first olimar, both mario and olimar were based off their games, but then, i played as wario because i like his moves, but then, i started playing as everyone

danielreece2

Smash Cadet
yeah, i use Wario because hes a badass, not because hes high tier. that would be gay to look up tiers, then change your main.
i origianlly played mario, but found wario much more fun. i also like to play as Pit before, but then i realized he was Noobcakes. lol (no offence pit user im just kidding)

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
I was always a fan of Kirby games, so I stick with the main character, Kirby, and Meta Knight, cause he's just plain cool. Dedede and Olimar became my mains because of their fighting style, but they're also from some of my favorite games.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Let see....

Kirby - Used him since 64 because he's pure awesome (even through his rough melee days). Nothing can beat a pink ball of doom.

Marth - Picked him up in melee (not in brawl anymore) although this was before I was at all competitive and therefore knew nothing of tiers or even cared about anything of the sort.

Lucario - I saw some videos of him (not particularly fights but cut scenes and some move lists) and instantly decided that I would us him. I mean, a telepathic jackal that uses life energy to wreck havoc upon others? Sounds sexy to me.

xenero

Smash Apprentice
I chose Ganondorf because of how good it feels to totally annihilate annoying characters.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I choose my main(Lucas) simply because I liked how he played.

However, my secondary main (MK) was chosen because he was a BADASS blue Kirby with bat wings... and I also liked his play style.

WilldaBeast

Smash Apprentice
I've always loved Snake, Bowser and Captain Falcon. Especially Snake, Metal Gear has always been a favorite series of mine so I guess yea, I chose all three of them based off the series.

triforce1313

Smash Rookie
I chose Ike because I like the fire emblem series. I didn't even care that he was said to be slow and have a terrible recovery before the game came out. I just thought that I'll get used to it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I like Ike because I enjoyed playing FE7, his looks helped, and his playstyle is what got me to come to him. I can't think of any other fast/heavy character I would want to play if there are any, not to mention when his hits connect, it's deadly.

thedobaga

Smash Apprentice
Umm...

DK because Donkey Kong 64 is my favorite game of all time up to date. That, and the fact that his FS has to do with Rythm, so that allowed me to get really good with it.

Luigi because I won my first Wi-Fi free for all with him.. so I decided to train with him and get better without the lag.

I'd also be maining Lucas if it wasn't for the fact that I SUCK with PK Thunder...

Veggi

Smash Champion
I chose DK because he's super cool. Peach because I like girl characters and Mario games were the only ones that I played all the time that had girls from Smash Bros. in it. Fox I like because he's a fox and I like his games. Dedede because when I play Kirby he was my favorite character because he was a penguin with a giant hammer. Sometimes I just wait in the wi-fi waiting room and stare at his giant hammer. Ike because Fire Emblem is fun and his play style of jump through the air with a super strong attack fit mine.(same with DK)

Mario I use because his air combos are cool looking and FLUDD makes me laugh when I use it on people, it always screws up their approach and they get hit with a smash attack. I hate most of his b moves though. I use Bowser because I like heavy characters and he's a giant koopa with spikes and he breaths fire. I also like Mario games, did I mention that?

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
I like Ike because I enjoyed playing FE7
:confused:

I've been playing Yoshi since the day 64 came out. Of course I dabbled in other characters along the way, but I always returned to the Dino. For me I think it is slightly because I like him, but also because I feel comfortable playing him, and I like his playstyle.

YellowPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Well I've got many mains.

Link: I believe the best game ever made is Link to the Past, so Link has always been my best guy. I was surprised to find out that he has always been considered low on the tier list, because I main some high tier characters as well, but I always do much better with Link. Of course, I'm always doing 4 player free for alls, and those tiers apply to 1 on 1 final destination matches, so perhaps that's the reason

Meta Knight: I decided this guy way before the game came out, just cause he's the coolest Kirby character ever. Also, he's pretty much a ninja, so there's no way I couldn't use him.

Marth: I've yet to play Fire Emblem, but how can you say no to a guy with a cape, sword, speed, and who only speaks japanese?...you know, most of my mains are ninjas in some form, now that I think about it.

Pokemon Trainer: I don't care what anyone says, but Pokemon is STILL cool. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just jealous because THEY never became the world's greatest pokemon master.

Wolf: I haven't played any Starfox games extensively, so Wolf was somewhat new to me. Still, he's just so **** evil, I had to use him.

Captain Falcon: I'm going to be honest...I'm not very good with Falcon, but just because of that PAWNCH, I have to play as him when possible.

Yeah, I've don't think I ever picked a character based solely on playstyle. It's always about the awesomeness, not the tiers.

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
I chose Wario as my main because...

a) I already liked him as a Nintendo character.
b) His humor made me laugh when I first used him. (i.e. farting, eating, etc.)
c) After using him so many times, I discovered his full power and potential.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
honestlyy i started playing ganondorf because he's always been my favorite from the zelda series. dont ask me why, but ya
g&w i just picked him randomly, liked his playstyle, stuck with him

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Kirby, Pit & Lucario. That's about it. Though Kirby isn't a main. My other favorite Nintendo characters (Link, Zelda, Mario, etc.) I either don't like their playstyles (Link), I get bored with (Mario), or I have zero interest in playing (Zelda). So I don't play them.

Hippopotamus

Smash Rookie
When I first get a smash game, I generally use the character I like the most. However, they usually don't fit my playing style. For example, I tried to main Diddy because he's one of my favorite video game characters of all time, but I just couldn't use him... Eventually I try all the characters, and then choose my mains later on :)

Tyr_God_of_war

Smash Cadet
I love star fox 64, but I couldn't really handle fox in SSB or SSBM. But Wolf, I am awesome with. He is awesome. I have also had a fixation with wolves since I was a kid. My first dog was named Wolfie. So yah, I main wolf because he is awesome in and out of SSBB.

I used to main marth in melee, but he felt really different in brawl. And since I was playing alot of free for alls I switched to Ike. Now that my brother has firmly mastered the art of killing my Ike with Toon Link I tried Marth again. Now I will use him as a my second main.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Do you really think anyone on Smashboards had heard of Kid Icarus before Brawl? I chose Pit because he has one of the best projectiles in the game, he can all but fly, and I love his mindgame-heavy style. I chose Marth as one of my secondaries because he was my Melee main, I chose MK as one of my secondaries because he is my favorite character in the entire Kirby series, and I chose Olimar as one of my secondaries because he is unorthodox and awesome.

Top Bottom