• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When faced with mindgames of a peculilar kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't classify myself as anything more than above average. Others, on the other hand, will compliment my fighting style, and say I have the potential for so much more. Allow me to delve deeper...

In the days of melee, using my Marth who I have been using for four years now, I could JC into grabs, chaingrab a little, CC into smashes, wavedash, pull off an almost decent Ken combo, the works. Jack of all trades, but master of none. However, when faced with anything that moves, I go from "Calm-Cool Steve", to "Angry C-Stick Steve". I can mark the emergence of C-Stick Steve, and I despise him.

I've come to the conclusion that I "Mindgames" myself due to maybe a little too much stress. Smash feels safe, especially with Marth's giant foward smash reaching from his back and covering everything in front. I mentioned melee as an example, but same goes for Brawl. How does one separate themselves, and continue the fight in a cool fashion, trying to balance the technical and physical state of the situation?

A-Tron

Smash Cadet
i stumbled upon the ultimate strategy, jus watch your opponent, only keep your eyes on him and forget your character, watch for when he screws up and come in to punish him. try to keep control of the situation and dont get carried away if you start to get juggled.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Every once and a while, there is a moment of lucidity, that lovely moment when everything makes perfect sense and everything seems to move slow-mo. But until that euphoria comes, I play a little stale.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
Get a couple of good friends that are way better than you, and play them until you start winning about at least 50% of the time.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Just concentrate.

That feeling of "lucidity" you're talking about... that's when you feel the game, the tech skill comes naturally, and you're just going through the motions. If you're good, that's when you play best.

"Don't think, feel! It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory." Bruce Lee

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It's about controlling your character as good as you can. Don't always be running into your opponents attack, or being extra flashy, as it will mess up your control with your character, its best to approach slowly while your opponent is on guard until you find the opportunity to attack.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Just concentrate.

That feeling of "lucidity" you're talking about... that's when you feel the game, the tech skill comes naturally, and you're just going through the motions. If you're good, that's when you play best.
Flow state. Scientifically documented, but not deeply understood.

You should feel like you're leaving your body, like you have no "self" anymore. You're completely and perfectly coupled with the task (in this case, the game), moving effortlessly and precisely in exactly the right way, as though the game were playing you. The state is also timeless. The euphoria is the feeling of being challenged *just* at the boundary of your current skill (which is to say, just beyond it), so that you're learning *as* you are performing.

With that in mind, VGSteve, think of the match as not being you against him, but Marth against that character. Do what Marth is supposed to do. Forget about time, forget about the acclaim of winning, or the shame of losing. Forget who you're playing against. Forget how many stocks you have up (unless it's 2+ to 1, of course), what happens after this round, or any mistakes you've made before this point. Think about this game, right now. Play a good Marth.

:)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
PK-ow is too good.

(However, sometimes you do need that emotional kick, like thinking "**** i gotta win this!" to come back when you are losing ;D.)

But yeah, PK-ow is right. There are times when I could be so in tune with the game that I don't even need to contentrate to play well? Does that make any sense? Like it would just come so natural to me. Meaning I could play an EXCELLENT teams Sheik in Melee... while I was on the phone. Hahah.

The only solution is to let go of worries and just play well.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I usually try to start off strong and stay strong through out the entire match. Sometimes I get juggled, and I get frustrated, which is when I start to lose. Try not to let it shake you, always play as best you possibly can and stay consistent. Watch your opponent closely for error.

whopper_no_onion

Smash Cadet
pick metaknight.

jk

i use marth too. when i get upset, i also do the c-stick mashing, but i just try and calm myself down. Marth is all about spacing, and patience goes a long way. Wait for the opponent to leave themself vulnerable and then follow up with a tippered attack.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Control your heart rate. Seriously.

People laugh when I say that in real life and that you cant' do it. You can. When I first started playing and I'd get into that spammy C-stick is my God mode, I'd also feel my heart starting to race. Over time I learned to control that, and soon it stops happening all together. Not to say you don't get excited, but you don't lose control. Its hard to do and you can't really explain to someone how, but learn how to control your "fight or flight" like emotions and you'll be top notch.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Who just said stop playing Mason, cause that just creeped me right the hell out!

That aside, I'm learning slowly. I'll get there eventually.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
Every once and a while, there is a moment of lucidity, that lovely moment when everything makes perfect sense and everything seems to move slow-mo. But until that euphoria comes, I play a little stale.
I understand this perfectly lol... A simple solution would be to practice against several opponents on your skill level or better, to get rid of those silly c-stick jitters

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I can only ever hold onto this for like, thirty seconds at most. In this nirvana-like state, I can see all the lines of power, see the ranges and options of the characters. I can actually effectively zone people who normally beat me...

Then I lose it.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Like the matrix? Can you dodge bullets? =D Cuz that would be badass.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Impressive necro. You even did it on the "same" month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom