• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Did You First Learn About Tiers?

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
I honestly didn't learn about tiers until a few months before Brawl came out. I was reading about characters in Melee having results and spots on the tier list. Before, I was one of those people who was like "Roy is better at power but is slower, Marth is faster and but does less damage".

Actually, I believe I was happiest before I learned about the tiers for Melee, as seeing a character's placement does do a slight psychological mind set to me. But now that I've grown adjusted to know that there are tiers, they don't effect me as much and I instead just figure out how my main can fight against each character.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
In 06.... that's when I started to learn about competitive Smash altogether. I learned why Marth was better than Roy, exactly how ****ing cheap Fox and Falco are, learned that the one who always get caught (Peach) could actually fight, learned about Shiek's gay-*** Fair... and yeah, I could go on and on, but 06 started it all for me.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
To tell the truth, I didn't learn until last year. I think it was at Smash Brawl Rankings, a lovely little Smash forum. Yes. That seems right.

Ken-san

Smash Rookie
Last year when trying to become better at smash I heard about "tiers" and did some research, and while I can't say tiers don't exist they certainly aren't as important as people make it sound (at least when you aren't playing in a tournament).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
'06, when I started getting competitive.

People need to realize that a tier list doesn't mean that #1 is necessarilly the best character against all those below it-- every character has a counter. #4 could counter #1, while #20 could counter #4. (And so on.)

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have known about tiers since I started playing video games...

Nearly every competitive game I own has a list to order the different factions from best to worst.

Now I didn't know the specific tier list for melee until about a yr ago when I got really interested in the new SSB game and started searching stuff online. My best characters were Peach and Falcon, as far as I was concerned at the time, they were the best.

I didn't do too badly for guessing either. I knew fox and falco were strong as well, and pichu and mewtwo were garbage. For some reason I totally overlooked marth though.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Some guy said "HA Fox is higher tier then Marth!"
Then I owned his life.
Still didn't know what tiers were.

The_RMF

Smash Rookie
30 seconds ago.
According to this, the worst characters are always my favorites... Sweet.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
When I was looking up some sort of guide for Shiek and then I read she was high "tier"...I didnt know what it was, so I looked it up and you all know the rest ;D

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I was in middle or high school when I first heard that word. Of course, it was used in the context of video games. I was online and I found a discussion on Pokémon tiers. GSC were the most recent games at the time.

Zench

Smash Cadet
After i joined smash boards a long time ago.
i don't see a reason for its existence though, those who waist
their time to create it have way to little to do.
if you think about it, the tier list only causes balance differences between
which characters the people will choose to play as.
in melee the list was reasonable.
but since the differences between the characters in brawl are so minor,
I see it as an waste of time.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
2 years ago,when I was looking at Roys smahs wiki page,and I was in awe than Marf was higher than him.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i didn't know or care about tiers for a long time...i kind of gradually grew aware of them like 2 years ago maybe even though i had been playing smash since the original

i dislike them because ppl read it as an all-deciding list of whats really just a bunch of weak generalizations, and it can ruin quality Smash

its probably partly why i've never gotten into the competitive scene

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I didn't learn about actual tiers until the time Brawl was announced, but ever since Melee's release I was already knew that some characters were good and some were bad. Within moments of unlocking Mewtwo I could already tell he was one of the bad =(.

Top Bottom