• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When choosing a character...

CobraWolf

Smash Rookie
I just came home from playing Brawl with my friends tonight and I believe I have made a discovery.

A lot of people seem to have a hard time choosing a character or a secondary because they do not begin learning the character correctly.

The best way to start learning a character (in my opinion) is to keep playing 1v1 match-ups with them against a real live person over and over again until you understand the character and get a feel for the character's playstyle, moves, move sets, etc.

This is how I learned Wolf and how I plan to learn any other characters.

When Brawl first came out I was disillusioned because in Melee my main was Samus and she got significantly nerfed. Because all my friends were playing together I didn't have time to just sit down and continuously 1v1 them over and over again to get good at a specific character.

However, such continuous play is needed. Luckily enough I got together with just my one friend one day when I was bored and played Link. Before long (½ an hour) I was surprising proficient with Link. This would have taken much much longer in a 2v2 situation with many people around (or it may never have happened).

When you pick up a new character in a setting like a 2v2 with your friends, it is intimidating and you are not learning well because 2v2s are pretty much chaotic.

The first day I played Brawl, I tried Wolf and thought he wasn't right for me because I didn't give him a chance when I couldn't immediately own with him in 2v2s.

Later, I practiced him against two different people on separate occasions in 1v1s. He is now my main.

In other words, if there is a character that you played at first in a non-1v1 match, try the character out again under different circumstances. You might see a difference.

M.K

Level 55
You play Wolf. Nobody cares how you got to it, just like the millions of others that play with the rat dog.

@post below....oh yeah....I did make that thread....oops....

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Some of you need to seriously calm down on the flaming. I'm the one who has to read everything like this, and I'm the one who has to lock the threads. But you never see me flame. So people, seriously, calm yourselves.
I don't really understand what you benefit from flaming him.
He just joined. This is his 4th post. Surprisingly, he actually spelled all of his words correctly and formed coherent sentences. If you're just doing this to increase your post count there are much better ways, such as actually contributing to conversation or explaining why this is known rather than inflammatory comments like "Captain Obvious!"

Meta-Kirby made an intelligent post here explaining what you should do in this situation: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153607&highlight=prima+guide

That said, this doesn't belong in Tactical Discussion, and is more suited to General Brawl Discussion. I'm sure you would get a much friendlier response there, TC.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Meta-Kirby made an intelligent post here explaining what you should do in this situation: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153607&highlight=prima+guide
I'm not entirely sure if I'm more freaked out that you had to point out what should be common courtesy or that you searched for Prima Guide. :psycho:

He just joined. This is his 4th post. Surprisingly, he actually spelled all of his words correctly and formed coherent sentences.
Not to mention that it wasn't a "Who should I main" thread. It was stuff he actually thought would be helpful to OTHERS.

Didn't we have a "Need help choosing a character" thread for Melee outlining strengths and weaknesses? One of those needs to be made.

Also remember FastFox's READ HERE BEFORE DISCUSSING MELEE thread or whatever it was? One of those for Brawl would be useful.

AlmightyJeebus

Smash Lord
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

Kros

Smash Apprentice
Pick the cutest character. That's your new main.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Flip a coin.

Heads Snake
Tails MK

XD

Seriously guys. At least he picked who he liked playing. Unlike all of you who just jumped on Snake and MK. Leave the guy alone.

~L~

Smash Cadet
Whether it is common knowledge,or it is not,he being a new member,any common knowledge here would be unknown to him.

I read very much,therefore I know many things about this place already.

He posted intelligently and his intensions were good. He should not be punished by members here for trying to contribute to the community.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero

He posted intelligently and his intensions were good. He should not be punished by members here for trying to contribute to the community.

Exactly.

I'm tempted to go into each character section and ask for the good, bad and general playstyles of each character to make a Which Character is Right For You thread but I'm sure I would just get roasted by the flames. XD

SlyNinja

Smash Rookie
1v1's help you discover how to pick a main?!

More on this shocking story at 11, now to Ollie with the weather.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
For whatever its worth, and I hope its not worth a bunch of flames. I've made a thread for a work in progress that tries to scale how difficult it is to use the characters of Brawl. How difficult it is to play them casually and how hard it is to master them. I hope one day to have that put into a "which character do you want" thread, for people who want to choose a character based on how good they think they are as a player.

Top Bottom