• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your playstyle?

Falcon BRUNCH

Smash Rookie
In other words, do you play defensively, offensively, or something else?

I personally like to play defensively at the start of a match to see what my opponent is going to do. Then I adapt to their style. Like, if they play extremely aggressively I'll shield more and attempt shield grabs. If they're more on the defensive side, I'll go on the offensive and combo/edgeguard/etc.

(Also, this is my first post! ^_^)

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
My playstyle: Uncrappy.

Yes. I just made up my own word =]

But my playstyle is all edge guarding, I only stand at the edges, and spam fireballs... I'll only play at the middle if my percent is high. And when I say ALL edge guarding, if I happen to grab them near the edge, and they're at 0%, I'll still throw them off =]

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm all about aggressive (yes it's a bad thing to be always ._.) I love comboing with Mario. Whenever I get a jab to dthrow to utilts and upairs. I feel like I'm in the zone. When I'm in the zone I get very combo-istic (is that a word? lol) It's almost hard to be defensive but Mario has a reliable Fireball retreat tactic which i like.

Lol I just played my first ICs today. I learned how to be defensive, camper, and spacing (meaning not getting shieldgrabbed from that effin infinite) Marios fireballs = pwnage

Mario = ****

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
I fight defensively since most chars beat me in speed and power. Keep a good distance with fire balls or b airs. Then when i get an opening smash attack. I stage spike great recovery users like Rob. Also, i like to use the fire balls to start up combos. I got an Aggressive/Defender fighting style (if that's possible).

And i agree Mario's fireballs = pwnage

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I play just like how the character is designed. All around. I dthrow to uair. I stutter step. SH Fireball. All of that. I do admit there is a slight tilt towards agressive, but only so I can pull of combos and myndgaemz.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Depends what character i am playing
(really does)
i am not going to play a certine way for all characters
that is not a good strat.
This. If you play over aggresively against a Dedede, I can practically guarentee you'll get the crap kicked out of you while playing over defensely against a Diddy isn't too smart either.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Playstyle = play to win

If I'm losing, or my current strat isn't working, I play as gay as possible till things go my way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Playstyle = play to win

If I'm losing, or my current strat isn't working, I play as gay as possible till things go my way.
Is that even possible with Mario? O_o; I can understand Toon Link (Arrow, bomb, and boomerang spam), Olimar (smash attacks and shield grabs), or Metaknight (pretty much 4/5 of his moveset) but Mario?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
midway for me, retreating fireballs and b-airs for a while but get really upclose and agressive once I get an opening, usually with a neutral b, d and b air

Hero Fly Chao

Smash Cadet
Bottom line, I try to play unpredictably and change up my strategy frequently. If I can't outwit my opponent, I'm done for...
How aggressive or defensive I play depends on my opponent, but on almost every enemy I like to lead with the good ol' SH Fireball approach. Leads nicely into an ftilt or utilt, or even a dthrow to uair when my opponent is at low %s. Mario is a great defensive character so I tend to utilize his mobility + irratating moves even at high % to frustrate my opponent into a mistake.
I try to capitalize on my opponent's cooldown lag or whiffed moves when I can, too.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Is that even possible with Mario? O_o; I can understand Toon Link (Arrow, bomb, and boomerang spam), Olimar (smash attacks and shield grabs), or Metaknight (pretty much 4/5 of his moveset) but Mario?
I just play real campy.

Y'know, retreating Bairs, ledgestalling, fireball spam.
Pisses them off and makes me feel good XD

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to say I have a perfect offense or defense. As Mario, I just prefer to maintain range on the opponent with fireballs and hit and run for the most part. Although everyone alters their style with different opponents, for the most part I play to opportunity when I can. When they give chase, it's time to counter with a combo or some knockback.

Matt07

Smash Master
I usually play aggresive at first, and if I'm getting 'owned' I usually start to play defensively. I consider myself about 70% aggresive and 30% defensive for most of my matches match.

borf9

Smash Rookie
My playstyle: Uncrappy.

Yes. I just made up my own word =]

But my playstyle is all edge guarding, I only stand at the edges, and spam fireballs... I'll only play at the middle if my percent is high. And when I say ALL edge guarding, if I happen to grab them near the edge, and they're at 0%, I'll still throw them off =]
my playstyle: ROCK LOBSTER

PKNintendo

Smash Master
A balance of offensive and defense. I like to use Mario's aerials more. Fludd is my favorite move for Mario. Especially when you edge guard with it.

Top Bottom